PDA

View Full Version : Starting Front Seven Right Now

vince
02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
From the horse's mouth - McCarthy

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins
Kampman-Hawk-Barnett-Poppinga

McCarthy said Chillar and Bishop can play both inside and out.
Hunter and Thompson are in the mix at OLB as expected.

Harrell is doing better and McCarthy doesn't think he'll need any additional surgery.

BlueBrewer
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

Harrell is doing better and McCarthy doesn't think he'll need any additional surgery.

Thats the best news I've heard all day :!: :!: :!: :lol:

CaptainKickass
02-20-2009, 04:18 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

So - if Jolly is the DE - who the hell's the backup Nose Tackle?

red
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
its not a bad looking starting 7

but we have no depth what so ever on the line. we need to draft or sign at least 3 d linemen . i have no faith in harrell, and will not until he can prove that he can stay healthy

we could use a couple more lb's too

HarveyWallbangers
02-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't say what McCarthy said means Poppinga is the starter. Somebody asked him specifically about Poppinga, and he said he was a candidate. Interesting (or maybe not) the next name he brought up was Jason Hunter.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/02/20/2/

(What are you thinking for the second outside linebacker? Would it be Poppinga there?)
I think Brady Poppinga is definitely an outside linebacker candidate. Jason Hunter. Brandon Chillar I think can play both inside and outside. Jeremy Thompson definitely showed the ability to be an outside linebacker.

Brando19
02-20-2009, 05:24 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

Breaking News!!!!!!!

Justin Harrell was preparing for the offseason earlier today. He bent down to pick up a weight and he picked it up awkwardly....and his ass hole ripped out. He's out for 6-8 months.

cheesner
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

So - if Jolly is the DE - who the hell's the backup Nose Tackle?Raji

cheesner
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

Breaking News!!!!!!!

Justin Harrell was preparing for the offseason earlier today. He bent down to pick up a weight and he picked it up awkwardly....and his ass hole ripped out. He's out for 6-8 months.

Speaking of ass holes - why would you type something like this?

vince
02-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't say what McCarthy said means Poppinga is the starter. Somebody asked him specifically about Poppinga, and he said he was a candidate. Interesting (or maybe not) the next name he brought up was Jason Hunter.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/02/20/2/

(What are you thinking for the second outside linebacker? Would it be Poppinga there?)
I think Brady Poppinga is definitely an outside linebacker candidate. Jason Hunter. Brandon Chillar I think can play both inside and outside. Jeremy Thompson definitely showed the ability to be an outside linebacker.
Bedard indicated in 2 different blog entries from the Combine today that both Thompson and McCarthy slotted Popp at the front of the pack at OLB, but both emphasized that it is certainly early in the game... At least regarding Thompson's comment, it doesn't appear to be from his PC, but rather from conversation with him.

Brando19
02-20-2009, 08:05 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

Breaking News!!!!!!!

Why not? It's a joke...but it's not. The guy's a walking injury. Lighten up, deuche man.

falco
02-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

Breaking News!!!!!!!

Why not? It's a joke...but it's not. The guy's a walking injury. Lighten up, deuche man.

aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

Brando19
02-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

Breaking News!!!!!!!

aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

Damn...I didn't mean to offend...I was just referring to the way Harrell gets injured easily...soooooooooooorry.

falco
02-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Damn...I didn't mean to offend...I was just referring to the way Harrell gets injured easily...soooooooooooorry.

no offense taken man, just thought you could do better than that. weak....

Brando19
02-20-2009, 10:11 PM

no offense taken man, just thought you could do better than that. weak....

I'll work on it. :D

Gunakor
02-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Jolly-Pickett-Jenkins

So - if Jolly is the DE - who the hell's the backup Nose Tackle?

BJ Raji, hopefully. But I'm nearly certain that it will come from the draft, even if it's not Raji.

Lurker64
02-21-2009, 02:05 AM
BJ Raji, hopefully. But I'm nearly certain that it will come from the draft, even if it's not Raji.

Yeah, I'm fond of Raji and all, but from a certain perspective it's kind of an odd thing to spend a top 10 pick on a backup. In terms of "guys who are active on game day" we really need to fill 3 spots relevant to the NT: The starting NT, the primary backup NT, and a guy who can play both DE and DT. Now Pickett is going to be the starting NT barring something weird happening, and *IF* (and it's a big if) Harrell can stay healthy he can be the guy who can switch between DE and DT, so we just need a backup NT.

Now Pickett is going to be the guy in at Nose in all of the important running downs, so the Backup NT doesn't really need to be a superstar. I can very easily see Thompson taking a guy in the later rounds to groom and develop and be the backup NT (Brace, Hill, Taylor, somebody like that). Then if we really don't think that Pickett is long for the world at starting NT, take somebody from the incredible bounty of defensive tackles in next year's draft: McCoy, Suh, Cody, Austin, Oghobaase. With how deep Tackle is going to be next year, you wonder why none of those guys came out...

Waldo
02-21-2009, 02:24 AM
One guy I think that would be a great pick at NT is Dorell Scott out of Clemson. He dominated his sophomore and junior years, then had a bad start to '08 finally finishing good in the last month, but he got the inconsistent label. It killed his draft stock (3rd-4th, physically though he has first round talent). He's got the power and frame, a little light (310) but he's more of one of those guys that works hard to keep off the weight to stay more athletic. Unlike Brace and Taylor however, he's got feet and can move well. Brace and Taylor are big fat slugs, which typically transitions poorly to the pro game.

packrulz
02-21-2009, 06:55 AM
its not a bad looking starting 7

but we have no depth what so ever on the line. we need to draft or sign at least 3 d linemen . i have no faith in harrell, and will not until he can prove that he can stay healthy

we could use a couple more lb's too
I don't have much confidence in Jenkins either, TT almost has to look pretty hard at signing a FA like Canty so they have some depth, then Jenkins & Jolly could fight it out for a starting spot.