PDA

View Full Version : Barbre Moving to OT

vince
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
McCarthy said they plan to give Barbre a legitimate shot at both Tackle spots this year. He's looking to stabilize the OL positions, so they apparently are giving up on him playing Guard.

Giacomini will also get a strong look at Tackle.

Both he and Thompson distanced themselves a bit from Tauscher due to his health issue. They don't want to even begin to negotiate with him until he can get healthy, which may not happen until the beginning of the season, so there's a big question mark there at this point.

oregonpackfan
02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
McCarthy said they plan to give Barbre a legitimate shot at both Tackle spots this year. He's looking to stabilize the OL positions, so they apparently are giving up on him playing Guard.

Both he and Thompson distanced themselves a bit from Tauscher due to his health issue. They don't want to even begin to negotiate with him until he can get healthy, which may not happen until the beginning of the season, so there's a big question mark there at this point.

If Oregon's starting center, Max Unger, is still available in the second round, the Packers need to snatch him up. Unger is noted as an intelligent, versatile, and strong lineman who is capable of playing all five OL positions. His versatility can help fill any holes in the OL, IMO.

Waldo
02-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Unger has very short arms. He isn't well suited to tackle except in an emergency role.

rbaloha1
02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Love Barbre's athleticism and toughness. Maybe he secures the right tackle position.

Joemailman
02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Barbre had 40 times in the 4.8 range, so his athleticism has always been outstanding. His ability to pick up the mental aspects of the game has been questioned. He scored 11/18 on the wonderlic. I think he's someone who probably needs to be allowed to focus on one position, instead of being switched from position to position.

Harlan Huckleby
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Barbre had 40 times in the 4.8 range, so his athleticism has always been outstanding. His ability to pick up the mental aspects of the game has been questioned. He scored 11/18 on the wonderlic. .

When he appeared on the MM Show, he sounded a bit like Jethro Clampett.

KYPack
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I really felt that Barbre would take over the LG spot. Evidently, he had real problems with his footwork last pre-season and had a real tendency to allow the inside rush. This turned the coaches off and relegated him to the pine.

We have a neat problem this season. Lot's of young, talented lineman heading into their 3rd and 4th season. We've got to develop a philosophy and commit to a system. The Gibbs/ZBS is passe. Lets commit to a hybid. We've got guys who can zone block and do power gap. We gotta come up with 5 guys who can run block and pass protect.

Barbre at LT and Colledge at LG?

Ok, let's go.

But let's fold back our fuckin' ears and go get 'em.

Waldo
02-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I think that Barbre is gonna win the RT spot. His athleticism will help him a great deal and as I understand it is the easiest spot on the line to play from a mental aspect. He's got good T arms too (33 1/2").

falco
02-20-2009, 09:59 PM
waldo where did you come from???

Waldo
02-20-2009, 10:04 PM

I started on the Yahoo and GBPG boards 3-4 years ago, left for Footballs Future in the last few months before they switched to the new format, and have chatted there for years. I just stumbled across this site recently. It's a good group, not full of fire breathing brainwashed morons like you find on the GBPG and JSO boards. Got some good guys here that know their stuff, same thing I like about the FF group.

falco
02-20-2009, 10:07 PM

I started on the Yahoo and GBPG boards 3-4 years ago, left for Footballs Future in the last few months before they switched to the new format, and have chatted there for years. I just stumbled across this site recently. It's a good group, not full of fire breathing brainwashed morons like you find on the GBPG and JSO boards. Got some good guys here that know their stuff, same thing I like about the FF group.

you add a lot of good insight to the board. this place could use a lot more posters like you.

Guiness
02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I think that Barbre is gonna win the RT spot. His athleticism will help him a great deal and as I understand it is the easiest spot on the line to play from a mental aspect. He's got good T arms too (33 1/2").

I dunno - starting RT seems like a long shot to me. Why has he suddenly gone from pretty close to last on the depth chart - Moll, Sitton and even Coston before he was cut - were given snaps, but Barbre saw none.

Everyone looks at him, and his potential, and really wants him to be a player, but something is stopping it.

Guiness
02-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Around the time I left JSO, there were more mouth breathers than fire breathers :roll:

bobblehead
02-20-2009, 10:53 PM

I dunno - starting RT seems like a long shot to me. Why has he suddenly gone from pretty close to last on the depth chart - Moll, Sitton and even Coston before he was cut - were given snaps, but Barbre saw none.

Everyone looks at him, and his potential, and really wants him to be a player, but something is stopping it.

Experience?? I honestly wish that they had inserted college at LT when clifton was struggling last year cuz I think he can play the position, but its just that...I THINK he can. Last year would have been a good time to find out.

I still think we draft a LT at 9 (or even trade up :shock: ). I think Spitz might well take over at center. College could end up at RT...or Babre. The only thing I know is that the TC OL battle will be as interesting as any in camp including the new defense.

SnakeLH2006
02-20-2009, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't mind Colledge at LT as Cliffy's best is WAY behind him. As far as Barbre..didn't he have the best raw numbers as far as 40 times and lifting? Dude's a beast as sometimes the switch turns on for OL after 2 years. Either way, I'd be happy to get a rock OT with the #9 pick if it turns out that way cuz Tauchy is hurt and declining at 32 regardless. We could do worse than Colledge and Barbre at OT in 2009. We'll see what happens as FA and the DRAFT will probably get us a new starter at OT regardless.

TennesseePackerBacker
02-21-2009, 01:55 AM

you add a lot of good insight to the board. this place could use a lot more posters like you.

Gotta agree, it's great to have you here. Any poster who uses good logic backed by statistics is a welcome sight. Barbre at T? I don't know if he has the intelligence for it. Tackle is right up there with center for most mentally demanding lineman position(this includes D). Throw in the fact that the ZBS is even tougher to grasp and we might have a can of worms on our hands trying to place him at RT. I'm really excited to see what Breno can do. Also the possibility of either J. Smith or Monroe falling to us would be a blessing.

This has been my first post in a month or so, school is killing me :(

packrulz
02-21-2009, 06:46 AM

If Oregon's starting center, Max Unger, is still available in the second round, the Packers need to snatch him up. Unger is noted as an intelligent, versatile, and strong lineman who is capable of playing all five OL positions. His versatility can help fill any holes in the OL, IMO.
I've heard Max is really good, I'd love to have him at center.

ND72
02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Barbre had 40 times in the 4.8 range, so his athleticism has always been outstanding. His ability to pick up the mental aspects of the game has been questioned. He scored 11/18 on the wonderlic. .

When he appeared on the MM Show, he sounded a bit like Jethro Clampett.

He is from Missouri....not that I'm stereo-typing here.

Patler
02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Considering that Barbre was a starter at tackle for 4 years in college, this is probably a good move.

Bossman641
02-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I really felt that Barbre would take over the LG spot. Evidently, he had real problems with his footwork last pre-season and had a real tendency to allow the inside rush. This turned the coaches off and relegated him to the pine.

We have a neat problem this season. Lot's of young, talented lineman heading into their 3rd and 4th season. We've got to develop a philosophy and commit to a system. The Gibbs/ZBS is passe. Lets commit to a hybid. We've got guys who can zone block and do power gap. We gotta come up with 5 guys who can run block and pass protect.

Barbre at LT and Colledge at LG?

Ok, let's go.

But let's fold back our fuckin' ears and go get 'em.

Agreed. Enough musical chairs, let's get a front 5 and give them time to gel together.

Joemailman
02-21-2009, 04:30 PM

http://www.michelespaintshop.com/images/tubes/mp_alienspaceship.gif

sharpe1027
02-23-2009, 11:29 AM

A very good question. My guess is that he makes some outstanding plays, but makes enough bone-headed plays to keep him on the pine. I think, however, that he will be able to improve his consistency. Don't forget that he was making a huge leap up, coming from a relatively small program. Another year of experience should only help.

Fritz
02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

My understanding is that last spring Barbre smacked a coach or something, and that got him buried in the poop pile, good. Maybe he can finally dig his way out at right tackle.

And btw, I agree that Waldo is a good addition to the site. I've learned a lot. Like Patler, he tries to stick to facts and analysis. Me, I just say what feels good.

Patler
02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
My understanding is that last spring Barbre smacked a coach or something, and that got him buried in the poop pile, good. Maybe he can finally dig his way out at right tackle.

And btw, I agree that Waldo is a good addition to the site. I've learned a lot. Like Patler, he tries to stick to facts and analysis. Me, I just say what feels good.

How do we kill that for good?

Did that not start on here as someone saying, "Gee he must have hit a coach or something to fall off the radar the way he did." I don't believe there was ever any basis for it at all, was there?

Fritz
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Why stop it, Patler? It's easy and explains away the fact that the guy seems rather talented but cannot crack the starting lineup.

It would also explain why, if he does crack the starting lineup, he does so belatedly. He's matured, paid his dues.

See how it all fits nice?

The truth is just too hard, Patler! Go with the easy explanation. Blame Rock Gullickson for the injuries, too. Rock's gone now, so we probably won't have so many injureis this year.

See how easy it is? Makes ya feel good!

Try it, Patler. Go on.