PDA

View Full Version : Who would you take? Charles Rogers or Mike Williams??

The_Dude
07-10-2006, 08:58 PM
From Profootballweekly.com

Detroit

The Lions aren’t completely giving up on first-round picks Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. However, we’re told head coach Rod Marinelli’s patience has been tested, and the breaking point could be on the horizon. Rogers has endeared himself to the new coaches by keeping his nose clean and to the grindstone despite a demotion to the second team behind Roy Williams and overachiever Scottie Vines. But Mike Williams continues to baffle the Lions’ brass. His level of commitment is being called into question, and there are those in Detroit seriously doubting his future with the team. Mike Williams, the 10th overall pick in the 2005 draft, might get second and third chances because of his age (22) and the financial commitment the team has to him. Yet, we’re told the Lions are more willing to cut bait with a bad apple after holding on to Joey Harrington a year too long. Rather than save face, team president Matt Millen might have to part with another first-round pick in the name of team chemistry and to display that he’s fully behind his head coach.

--Could be interesting to see if they would really bite the bullet on Williams. I guess they would forfit something like 10 million. I'm going out on a limb and saying that at least one of them will be cut, but which one would you rather have?? Both fit the "Big and Tall" that McCarthy talked about so it it kind of a toss up to me.

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 09:11 PM
That is a tougher call as I see it, than the question of should we have gone after T.O.

I need to study that a little more, but off the top. I heard that Charles Rodgers was looking OK - good and that they were disappointed in Mike Williams's attitude.

Very tough call - to take either,because of Rodgers past (drugs and injury history) I lean towords M.W., if I had to choose.

Deputy Nutz
07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Even with his attitude you have to go with Mike Williams. For nothing else, Rogers past injuries put him behind Williams.

Williams is also a bigger and better threat in the red zone.

Personally, I think Mike Martz's offense does not fit the ability of any of these three recievers.

Partial
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Rodgers, without question. He's a freak, but for some reason he hasn't put it all together yet. Someday he will, and when he does watch out!!

BallHawk
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Rodgers needs to get off the drugs and of the IR. He's a huge injury risk and I believe his next drug offense would be a year suspension. Mike Williams is the clear choice, IMO. If he can develop and keep an open mind. He could be a very good WR.

Fosco33
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't take either of them for as high as they were drafted/touted.

Was your question - who should the Lions keep OR if one of them was cut/traded who should the Packers go for?

If I were the Lions, I'd keep Williams. The Packers should stay clear of either of them and wait for next year's FA or draft (hoping Driver is still around and Jennings isn't a bust).

SD GB fan
07-10-2006, 10:53 PM
i'd take mike williams. maybe getting cut wud be a wake up call for him and what better place to revive ur career than in the same division with a team who needs tall receivers? but i were the lions id cut rogers. no production and less hit to cap

Partial
07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
How soon we forget that just 3 years ago Charles Rodgers was the second coming of Randy Moss, and he had a HUGE first game, 2 td's, looked amazing, and then got hurt. Second year, same injury again. Not to mention he has been in no-discipline detroit with that awful management. You guys are talking about how big Mike Williams is, but lets not forget Rodgers is 6'3" 225. I guarantee you that the Lions offense is sick in a year or two with the three young receivers. Hopefully for our sake they all bolt there way over to Green Bay :D

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-10-2006, 11:14 PM
100% agree with Partial, if i had a chioce it would be rogers.

GrnBay007
07-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Welcome to Packer Rats Dude!!

PackerPro42
07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
This is a toss up. Rogers has all the ability in the world. But he just can't stay healthy. Williams has a huge upside with the exception of his bad attitude. Lets face it I would be mad if I were drafted to the lions to. I think the Packers should try to take Williams if the Lions want to get rid of him. Actually I would take either reciever the Lions drop, because they're both hae a lot of upside.

Partial
07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Rodgers is an infinitely better prospect. I'd take Williams if they taught him to block and play tight end. He would be solid in our west coast offense. Rodgers however, is a burner. He is deceptively fast. I would say he is a top 5 receiver physically, he just need some quality coaching.

PackerPro42
07-11-2006, 10:24 AM
It's really up to the Lions though. I think either of them would fit good in to our system and I think that we would benefit fron either of them.

4and12to12and4
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I would take Charles Rodgers. I think he is going to have a huge year if he stays healthy. Williams is a cancer.

Tony Oday
07-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Rogers on grass less chance of geting hurt 8 games a year :)

I have ALWAYS like Rogers he just needs to stay off the APB drugs.

I would LOVE him in this offense. Think about it. Driver possesion number on WR. TE's that can play. Jennings and the rest to flesh out the corp and Rogers the deep threat! I love it!

Partial
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
It's really up to the Lions though. I think either of them would fit good in to our system and I think that we would benefit fron either of them.

I think it's really a moot point since you don't cut two top 10 picks. Especially after such a short period of time, with such a horrible coaching staff in the previous regime. They can throw all the idle threats out there, but come opening day, there first 3 receivers will be williams, williams and rodgers.

Zool
07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Scotty Vines has made enough of a name for himself that he will be in that top 4 mix. He's not spectacular, but he's consistant.

Spaulding
07-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Gotta go with Rodgers. He was amazing at Michigan State and before he got injured. I've gotta believe as others have posted it's been a combination of maturity and coaching issues. If he gets past those and somehow stays healthy then he could be a legit #1 receiver. Given the fact that they have upgraded at QB and have Martz calling the plays I think his value will rocket and thus this may be the last chance to buy low.

Williams is lazy and slow. Short of playing jump ball in the redzone I don't see how he went so high in the draft. Not a player I'd want as a Packer.

I honestly like our receiving corps for this year and think we'll be fine in that area. No big studs but Mr. Consistency in Driver, some upside in Gardner, a hungry and good sized Boerichter (sp?), a budding starter and gifted player in Jennings, and a last shot Ferguson.

The WR's don't matter much if we can't run the ball as it will be another repeat of last year with possibly slightly better results due to depth but nothing to write home about.

I'm holding my breath until I see where the line stands by the third game of preseason and if Green has fully rehabbed.

Dabaddestbear
07-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Rodgers.
MW is not only unwilling to listen to the coaches but he also is constantly out of shape and seems to be gaining weight. He has been less fit then he was in college. I thought it would be the other way around once he made it to the NFL. Every time I read about this guy in the Detroit press its all bad. But his ego doesnt suprise me since when he was first drafted he was promoting hiself as HOF bound on his website.

I have to admit I wanted the Bears to pick up MW in the worst way and wanted to blast the GM for not doing so. But that just goes to show that that is the reason why we are fans and they are the GM's.

wist43
07-12-2006, 10:56 AM
There's still hope for Rogers, but I would have no interest in Williams. I didn't even view him as a 1st round pick the year he came out, and knew the Lions blew the pick when they took him at #10. I only saw him as a mid-late round pick.