PDA

View Full Version : Salaries getting out of hand?

packinpatland
02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Execs-taken-aback-by-Asomugha-Lechler-deals?urn=nfl,142741

:shock:

red
02-20-2009, 08:39 PM
they've been out of hand

and getting worse

players are getting richer and teams are having to lay off employees to stay afloat

the current state of the nfl is grimm, and owners know they screwed up bad with the last cba

i don't expect nfl football after 2010

players won't budge and give up what they already have, and teams just can't stay in business the way things are going.

there will be a lockout, get ready for it

The Leaper
02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
No...Al Davis is nuts. He's the only one handing out these ridiculous deals.

MJZiggy
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Remember back in the day when players had day jobs in the offseason?

SnakeLH2006
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Recession or not, Al is gonna die anyday...does he not look like the dead walking?

Javon's deal, Peter's deal, As$%$%$%mugha's deal. Ridiculous. Someone made a solid post about how it doesn't matter Al gives those deals out cuz when agents try to bolster their own player relative to those deals they get laughed at. Agreed. Al is retarded. His deals are not relative to other FA deals as he's in his own league. End post.

cpk1994
02-21-2009, 04:47 AM
No...Al Davis is nuts. He's the only one handing out these ridiculous deals.This. THe outrageous deals over the last decade have come from one place only: Oakland.

vince
02-21-2009, 05:29 AM
There've been some others too cpk. Washington has had its share of dumb deals over the last decade although they seem to have learned their lesson. The Raiders definitely have the most recent head scratchers. The Cowboys aren't too far behind.

Here's some guy's list of the worst deals in NFL history. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=contracts&sportCat=nfl) They've all come pretty much in the last decade or so. Free agency has created a lot of very costly, ill-advised risk taking - to state it nicely.

Unfortunately and fortunately, Joe Johnson and Marco Rivera made the list. The guy makes a solid recommendation for who would have been a better signing for the Raiders than Javon Walker last year...

oregonpackfan
02-21-2009, 11:04 AM

I think Al Davis is not "Nuts." He is suffering more from dementia.

The question is: How far down can Al Davis drag the Raiders?

red
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
the fact of the matter is that the raiders are setting the price for future players with their insane contracts they're handing out left and right

the next guys that come up for new contracts will look at these deals as a starting point

the raiders just doubled what the top punters will earn. top cb's will now be looking at 15 million a year. star d-linemen will want more

what al davis is doing is horrible for the nfl

Gunakor
02-21-2009, 12:04 PM
the fact of the matter is that the raiders are setting the price for future players with their insane contracts they're handing out left and right

the next guys that come up for new contracts will look at these deals as a starting point

the raiders just doubled what the top punters will earn. top cb's will now be looking at 15 million a year. star d-linemen will want more

Nah, I think that most teams will look at agents who think that will somehow become the norm and tell them to piss off. Look at the Raiders. Offering these unbelievably obscene contracts isn't good for football teams, and I doubt any other owner/GM will be as generous. This isn't going to become the standard.

MJZiggy
02-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Wait. This is suggesting that they weren't out of hand before? What's the vet minimum for a guy who stands on the sidelines waiting to kick the ball once and no one's allowed to touch him?

bobblehead
02-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Red, you got some serious doom and gloom issues. The NFL has a salary cap. That cap is based on league wide revenues. Other players can cite Lechlers contract all they want, but the team offering has to stay within the cap and the cap has to remain a % of league revenues so no one is going to ruin football.

All Davis did was inhibit his chances of resigning guys later.

Rastak
02-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Red, you got some serious doom and gloom issues. The NFL has a salary cap. That cap is based on league wide revenues. Other players can cite Lechlers contract all they want, but the team offering has to stay within the cap and the cap has to remain a % of league revenues so no one is going to ruin football.

No cap next year.

red
02-21-2009, 01:57 PM

No cap next year.

bingo

Patler
02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
No cap next year.

Maybe. I will be surprised (but not shocked) if the NFL plays a year without a cap.

Rastak
02-21-2009, 04:11 PM
No cap next year.

Maybe. I will be surprised (but not shocked) if the NFL plays a year without a cap.

I wouldn't be at all but I would be shocked if the players took the field in 2011 without a new deal with a cap.

2010 has some nice free agency/tag changes which mitigate the lack of a cap. I doubt the owners would want to go into the following year with a free for all.

pbmax
02-21-2009, 10:45 PM
It takes more than one nutjob contract to set the market that much higher. After Edge James, Marshall Faulk and finally Shaun Alexander, teams stopped paying huge money to older, established backs.

The market also swings back the other way. Many RBs have found that out.

I begrudge the players none of the money they collect (well, OK, I might begrudge Cletdius Hunt some of his money). Its a short career, takes years off your life and can impact your health in other, numerous, negative ways. The league makes enormous sums of money. And no one, not even on the management side, is claiming that teams are losing money. I believe Forbes estimated one team might have (Lions?).

Its about profitability, that debt service and the cost of new capital is draining profitability. Jerry is also having a hard time finding a taker for $20 million per year for naming rights.

It will be a tough deal, because the high revenue clubs have common cause with the lower revenue ones. Many high revenue clubs have incurred sizable debt from stadium construction or on their loans to buy the team (Miami, Washington, Dallas, Giants) and that debt is has gotten costlier. Lower revenue clubs don't like the current CBA because new local-revenue sharing did not cover the higher player costs, which comes right off their bottom line. And with no CBA, there is no salary floor, or minimum. Arizona and Cincinnati can go way cheap should they wish to.

Its going to be tough for the middle to hold.

bobblehead
02-21-2009, 10:51 PM
As I said in the past, if the NFL allows an uncapped year I hope TT and the packer brass do a protest and sign 53 bums for 50k a year and ruin the quality of the game to prove to the other 31 teams that this is a group effort.

Patler
02-22-2009, 01:08 AM
No cap next year.

I wouldn't be at all but I would be shocked if the players took the field in 2011 without a new deal with a cap.

2010 has some nice free agency/tag changes which mitigate the lack of a cap. I doubt the owners would want to go into the following year with a free for all.

I think it will be a mistake to play a year without a cap, even if the special provisions make it less than horrible for owners in 2010. I think that is a horse they don't want to let out of the barn. They may never get it back again.

texaspackerbacker
02-22-2009, 11:17 AM
[quote=Rastak]

No cap next year.

2010 has some nice free agency/tag changes which mitigate the lack of a cap. I doubt the owners would want to go into the following year with a free for all.[/quote

I think it will be a mistake to play a year without a cap, even if the special provisions make it less than horrible for owners in 2010. I think that is a horse they don't want to let out of the barn. They may never get it back again.

That would seem inevitable. What are they going to do? Have a bunch of super-inflated one year contracts? If players sign long term and a team goes way over what would have been the cap, then the next season you go back to a cap, you have chaos. Some teams/GMs might have good sense and not get carried away, but there's always some who would sell the farm to "win now" and be in cap hell from the next season on.