PDA

View Full Version : "PICK HARD TO PREDICT AT 9"

Bretsky
02-21-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/40012642.html

red
02-21-2009, 10:19 AM
yes it is

it'll be interesting to see what happens to andre smith after his utter act of stupidity yesterday

he might be the best OT in the draft, and he might now fall into our lap

but then you wonder if we should even take him there after his blunder

***for those that don't know he admitted yesterday that he won't be working out at the combine, because he hasn't started working out yet. this makes him look very lazy and stupid in many peoples minds right now. the talking heads all seem to agree that this drops him to the back of the pack among the big 3 OT's

Bretsky
02-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd still like us to take a star on Defense

LL2
02-21-2009, 10:33 AM
yes it is

it'll be interesting to see what happens to andre smith after his utter act of stupidity yesterday

he might be the best OT in the draft, and he might now fall into our lap

but then you wonder if we should even take him there after his blunder

***for those that don't know he admitted yesterday that he won't be working out at the combine, because he hasn't started working out yet. this makes him look very lazy and stupid in many peoples minds right now. the talking heads all seem to agree that this drops him to the back of the pack among the big 3 OT's

That could make him a steel for the Pack.

I'm torn as to what position I want TT to address the the #9. Should they go for a DT and get Raji, take Jenkins at DB, take Orakpo at DE, a OT like Jason Smith. Those are the 4 positions I think need to be addressed.

No matter what that player should be a day one starter. At #9 the Packers should be able to get a solid to great player...assuming the guy isn't a bust. It would be great to see GB land a star player for once.

red
02-21-2009, 10:48 AM
WOW

they just said that cabtree has a stress fracture in his foot that requires surgery

he will miss the combine, the pro day, and might not be able to get a personal workout in before the draft

expected to miss 10 weeks

i hope that doesn't drop him out of the top 8

KYPack
02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
WOW

they just said that cabtree has a stress fracture in his foot that requires surgery

he will miss the combine, the pro day, and might not be able to get a personal workout in before the draft

expected to miss 10 weeks

i hope that doesn't drop him out of the top 8

PFT has a mock on their site.

9. Green Bay Packers: Hakeem Nicks, receiver, North Carolina.

They have Crabtree going after Hicks. Hicks is rated as a 3-4 round pick on most mocks

Actually, you want the "chosen one" to be nicked up around draft time.
Imagine if Crabtree "death spirals" down to the 39th choice? We get a defender AND Crabtree? That would be sweet.

Lurker64
02-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Word is too, that the Lions are pushing to trade for Cassel. Should take #20 and some other stuff, that would leave them to take the top tackle (at this point, Monroe) at #1, and will start the plummet of the QBs.

If we're sitting there at #9 and one or two of the top QBs are available, that's the trade-down chair. So it's not entirely unreasonable that we don't pick anybody at #9, we just hand somebody else the keys to Stafford or Sanchez.

Joemailman
02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Predicting who the Packers will take at #9 isn't that hard. I know who it is. I'm just not telling.

Rastak
02-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Word is too, that the Lions are pushing to trade for Cassel. Should take #20 and some other stuff, that would leave them to take the top tackle (at this point, Monroe) at #1, and will start the plummet of the QBs.

If we're sitting there at #9 and one or two of the top QBs are available, that's the trade-down chair. So it's not entirely unreasonable that we don't pick anybody at #9, we just hand somebody else the keys to Stafford or Sanchez.

I think the Pats are way too smart to take the overall #1 in a year like this.

Lurker64
02-21-2009, 04:37 PM

That's why I was suggesting that the Patriots take the #20 pick, held by the Lions as part of the Williams trade to Dallas, plus some additional compensation (a second or a third?). The Lions hold onto #1 overall and take the top LT.

Detroit can probably swing it where they are basically trading Roy Williams for Matt Cassel (1, 3, 6, all formerly held by Dallas).

Rastak
02-21-2009, 04:51 PM

That's why I was suggesting that the Patriots take the #20 pick, held by the Lions as part of the Williams trade to Dallas, plus some additional compensation (a second or a third?). The Lions hold onto #1 overall and take the top LT.

Detroit can probably swing it where they are basically trading Roy Williams for Matt Cassel (1, 3, 6, all formerly held by Dallas).

Sorry Lurker, I get it now.

That would make much more sense....and the #20 this year isn't a bad thing to have. Plus, they should be able to pry at least one more high pick off them for Cassel.

Something tells me the Lions won't do it though. I don't think the Vikings will part with high picks 2 years in a row either. It will be very interesting to watch this play out though.

oregonpackfan
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Predicting who the Packers will take at #9 isn't that hard. I know who it is. I'm just not telling.

The pick is "In the mail" eh Joe? :lol:

Joemailman
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Really, with Andre Smith's problems and Crabtree's injury, it's gotten even harder to predict the pick. If Smith is out of the top 10, that increases the chance that someone will take Raji instead of an OT. Maybe Jenkins will be the pick if Cleveland doesn't take him. Otherwise, one of the DE/OLB's may be the pick: Everette Brown, Orakpo or Maybin. Trading down would be the way to go if TT can find a trading partner.

Lurker64
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Really, with Andre Smith's problems and Crabtree's injury, it's gotten even harder to predict the pick. If Smith is out of the top 10, that increases the chance that someone will take Raji instead of an OT. Maybe Jenkins will be the pick if Cleveland doesn't take him. Otherwise, one of the DE/OLB's may be the pick: Everette Brown, Orakpo or Maybin. Trading down would be the way to go if TT can find a trading partner.

Well, we're seeing the side effects of the guys moving down at this point, but the wave of "guys moving up" probably hasn't hit yet. Crabtree probably won't fall out of the top 10, since his injury isn't one that will cause him to miss any camps; but A. Smith is out of the top 10 unless he walks on water, raises the dead, or some manner of similar miracle.

But the QBs, RBs, and WRs work out tomorrow. If enough of Stafford, Sanchez, Moreno, Wells, Maclin, McCoy, Heyword-Bey, or Harvin put on shockingly good performance tomorrow, we might be looking at quite the bounty at #9. Remember, the Raiders do pick in front of us and I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Maclin just because he ran a 4.3.

KYPack
02-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Ya know, it's cruel but entertaining.

The NFL draft "death spiral" that is.

Every year or so, some poor sap comes out like he's a top pick and then loses it for different reasons.

This year it's .... been a bizarre few days for Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith, says SI.

Immediately before the second group of offensive linemen were about to start their workout, an official announcement was made stating Smith had left the combine headquarters unannounced. After a long search, Smith was found 30 minutes before the workout began. The announcement went on to say Smith and his agent were giving conflicting stories as to the reason of his disappearance. Sources later said Smith's interviews with teams have been going horribly. He's been inappropriately dressed and has been giving a number of conflicting statements as to why he was choosing not to workout at the combine. Several offensive line coaches have already suggested Smith be removed from their team's draft board and there's no doubt his draft stock is falling.

This kid is a little goofy and costing himself millions. If the rookie pay scale wasn't so out of wack, you'd feel sorry for him. But with kids who don't deserve the $ getting paid, you don't have a lot of sorrow for a 21 yr old fool blowing megabucks he hasn't earned yet.