PDA

View Full Version : Packers were hot for Flacco??

Bossman641
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Saw a tidbit in the JS blog that the Packers would have taken Flacco at 30 last year and were considering moving up for him. I thought this was very interesting and had never heard this before.

Does this mean the Packers weren't as confident in Rodgers as they let on? I say no. I just think it further proves that TT is willing to truly take the BPA, if that's the case who knows who he'll take at 9. It could truly be anyone.

Zool
02-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Took Brohm not too long after that so I'd say they knew they would need at least 1 QB in the draft. Turned out to be 2.

Lurker64
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
There was considerable speculation that they would take Brohm at 30 before the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised by anybody if you told me that Thompson had Flacco ahead of Brohm on his board.

mission
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I think it's *definitely* a BPA situation but the mind wanders a bit after that ... the TT conspiracists would have flipped through the roof at that one, I can see it now. :lol:

I like the Jordy pick ... he looks more than solid in all the right areas. Flacco would have probably had a lot of value (in hindsight) but with A-Rod ahead of him, we'd never know it now.

Bossman641
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Took Brohm not too long after that so I'd say they knew they would need at least 1 QB in the draft. Turned out to be 2.

If the blog is true, I just can't believe TT would have traded up for Flacco. Drafting Brohm was one thing, he sort of fell into their lap and was thought of as a steal. Trading up would have been a whole nother thing.

ND72
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I've long questioned things this guy has said. Namely the AJ Hawk thing. OTHERS didn't know the packers liked Hawk, but I remember Hawk's first interview, he said "Mr. Thompson garunteed me if I was still there at Number 5, I would be a Packer."

Lurker64
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
It is important to point out that going into the draft last year "Backup QB" was one of our biggest needs, as we had a 13-3 team, only one QB on the roster, and Rodgers was injured frequently in his tenure as a backup (as many backups do.)

What I imagine the thought process was that Thompson would consider trading up to around 25 to get Flacco, but when Baltimore traded up to 17 to get him (and moving from 30 to 17 is very expensive), eventually Thompson decided that neither Brohm nor Henne was worth #30, and the offer from the Jets was right.

ThunderDan
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
I posted this on the JSO site last year before the SportsBubbler switch.

When Favre retired the Packers needed to get a second solid prospect behind Rodgers. That is when TT traded Corey Williams to the Browns for a second. TT was going to package our 1st and Cleveland's 2nd to move to get Flacco. When Baltimore got Flacco first we picked up Brohm.

I'm sure TT was probably mad that Baltimore moved up and got Flacco before GB.

Fritz
02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Probably, but I imagine too that these guys have to remember that players are prospects - no guarantees. They probably have that stuff happen often, so they need to adjust pretty quickly.

I was thinking that this info on Flacco might pacify some of the folks who feel Favre was unnecessarily insulted by TT picking Rodgers. Clearly TT is just picking top talent. He's not trying to automatically boot guys out, except by definition - that is, a draft is an attempt to upgrade, generally speaking.

SnakeLH2006
02-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Combination of few things. TT knew Brett wasn't coming back and is always looking to upgrade in the draft. Flacco has skills. Brohm may (but looked to have skills to in the draft). We needed a #2 and an insurance policy because few would have projected ARod to go all 16 games and be as good as he looked. Regardless, if we had picked Flacco with our #1, I wonder if this board would have detonated a year ago? Fun stuff though.

sheepshead
02-24-2009, 10:24 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Saw a tidbit in the JS blog that the Packers would have taken Flacco at 30 last year and were considering moving up for him. I thought this was very interesting and had never heard this before.

Does this mean the Packers weren't as confident in Rodgers as they let on? I say no. I just think it further proves that TT is willing to truly take the BPA, if that's the case who knows who he'll take at 9. It could truly be anyone.

Are you too young to remember this draft or were you not paying attention? Flaccos name was all over the Packer boards.