PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris / Bigby / Driver - Updates

packers11
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
www.rotoworld.com

The Packers plan to use SS Atari Bigby closer to the line of scrimmage under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

FS Nick Collins will play deeper. Bigby, a somewhat inconsistent tackler but a banger when he makes contact, could be a good value in IDP leagues.

GM Ted Thompson confirmed that the Packers will pay CB Al Harris' $1.2 million roster bonus and play him.

Harris, 34, predicted in November that the Packers would part with him to get younger at the position, but Thompson put the "youth movement" doubts to rest. Harris may be past his prime, but he's still a quality starting corner.

Packers GM Ted Thompson says he still sees Donald Driver as a "top-flight receiver" despite Driver's age (34).

"I don't see any drop-off in Donald's play at all," Thompson said. Still, it wouldn't be surprising if Green Bay put Driver into a rotation in 2009. James Jones will be healthy and Jordy Nelson is entering his second season.

rbaloha1
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
www.rotoworld.com

The Packers plan to use SS Atari Bigby closer to the line of scrimmage under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

Bigby is more effective in the box closer to the line of scrimmage. Flashed great blitzing abilities in preseason.

Bigby plays a Polomalu type role.

packers11
02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Bigby is more effective in the box closer to the line of scrimmage. Flashed great blitzing abilities in preseason.

yea I can't wait to see him closer to the line.... He is probably one of the best blitzers on our team...

pittstang5
02-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Talking about Bigby.

Anyone remember a presason game - I think it was the 07 year when they Blitzed Bigby - I think twice and he got two sacks in that game. I thought, Wow, I can't wait to see that in the regular season....then never did. Wonder why....oh wait, I remember.....Vanilla Bob. Should be interesting to see if Dom let's Bigby loose a couple times in this upcoming season.

mission
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm really glad we didnt part with Al over a little roster bonus... say what you will about age but you can't just replace a guy like that.

Waldo
02-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Talking about Bigby.

Anyone remember a presason game - I think it was the 07 year when they Blitzed Bigby - I think twice and he got two sacks in that game. I thought, Wow, I can't wait to see that in the regular season....then never did. Wonder why....oh wait, I remember.....Vanilla Bob. Should be interesting to see if Dom let's Bigby loose a couple times in this upcoming season.

The sacks where the "flying Jamaican" jumped over the OL and sacked the QB on the way down.

Classic plays.

SkinBasket
02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Oh shit. Here we go with the crazy Bigby man love again.

ThunderDan
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Talking about Bigby.

It was against Seattle. It was the Gold Package preseason game so I got to go. The game ended up 44-9 or something goovy like that. It also rained and was cold for an August game.

ThunderDan
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Talking about Bigby.

I just checked at Packers.com and the game ended 48-13.

rbaloha1
02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm really glad we didnt part with Al over a little roster bonus... say what you will about age but you can't just replace a guy like that.

Watched Al closely at the pro bowl; the dude is in great shape and can still play.

Unsure of Al's expiration date but it may not be for a few seasons. On other note, Al is notorious for not signing autographs at the Pro Bowl.

Joemailman
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Harris' contract runs through 2011. http://www.packerchatters.com/team_info/salary_cap/

Freak Out
02-24-2009, 06:29 PM

Without the brains and the ability to tackle.

Guiness
02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Talking about Bigby.

It was against Seattle. It was the Gold Package preseason game so I got to go. The game ended up 44-9 or something goovy like that. It also rained and was cold for an August game.

Against Seattle, really? That's kind of ironic. The best game I remember seeing him play was against Seattle in the 07 playoffs. Made half a dozen tackles, and forced a fumble.

SnakeLH2006
02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
www.rotoworld.com

1) Good stuff. Bigby is one of my fav. Packers (always loved Chuck Cecil).

FS Nick Collins will play deeper. Bigby, a somewhat inconsistent tackler but a banger when he makes contact, could be a good value in IDP leagues.

GM Ted Thompson confirmed that the Packers will pay CB Al Harris' $1.2 million roster bonus and play him.

2) No problem there as he looked as good as I can remember AFTER he came back from the injury.

Harris, 34, predicted in November that the Packers would part with him to get younger at the position, but Thompson put the "youth movement" doubts to rest. Harris may be past his prime, but he's still a quality starting corner.

Packers GM Ted Thompson says he still sees Donald Driver as a "top-flight receiver" despite Driver's age (34).

3) Fine news. DD is top notch player yet...but would like to see him platoon at WR with Jones and maybe Jordy to rest his wear and tear.

"I don't see any drop-off in Donald's play at all," Thompson said. Still, it wouldn't be surprising if Green Bay put Driver into a rotation in 2009. James Jones will be healthy and Jordy Nelson is entering his second season.

Snake's Take is in italics....

Lurker64
02-25-2009, 01:15 AM

Well, if they're going to have Bigby doing anything on the football field, it's probably better that they have him up near the line of scrimmage, running around like a crazy person trying to kill somebody. Goodness knows he's not good for much else.

Fritz
02-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Well, if they're going to have Bigby doing anything on the football field, it's probably better that they have him up near the line of scrimmage, running around like a crazy person trying to kill somebody. Goodness knows he's not good for much else.

I'm on board with the Atari Bigby train. Guy's a playmaker. I see a breakout year.

And if Raji is available at #9, TT, please don't pass...he'll go to Denver at, what, #12? Get the line situation settled!

SkinBasket
02-25-2009, 07:15 AM

I'm on board with the Atari Bigby train. Guy's a playmaker. I see a breakout year.

And if Raji is available at #9, TT, please don't pass...he'll go to Denver at, what, #12? Get the line situation settled!

I think the "train" is more like a parade float driven by a drunk. We've been waiting a long long time for this breakout of his. His two biggest problems are his Herronesque speed and how long it took for him to figure out our vanilla defense. I don't think he's getting any faster anytime soon, and now he's got to learn a new defense. I think it's much more likely we're in for a breakdown year unless they're committed to hiding him again to the detriment of the rest of the defense.

Joemailman
02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
In 2007, Bigby had 5 interceptions and the Packers were #12 in pass defense. I think his detractors here go a bit overboard. He has some weakness in coverage, but a lot of strong safeties aren't great in coverage. When he's healthy and playing well, Bigby can be an intimidating force. One thing that doesn't show up on defensive stat sheets is passes that are dropped because the receiver has one eye on the ball and the other looking out for the hit that might be coming.

Fritz
02-25-2009, 12:03 PM

I think the "train" is more like a parade float driven by a drunk. We've been waiting a long long time for this breakout of his. His two biggest problems are his Herronesque speed and how long it took for him to figure out our vanilla defense. I don't think he's getting any faster anytime soon, and now he's got to learn a new defense. I think it's much more likely we're in for a breakdown year unless they're committed to hiding him again to the detriment of the rest of the defense.

First, I like parade floats driven by drunks.

Second, I think he'll have much more of the Darren Sharper/Nick Collins type of learning curve than the Marques Anderson/Antwan Edwards type.

Give him this year before you condemn him, Skin.

bigcoz75
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Bigby ran a 4.65 40 POSITIVES: Athletic, physical safety with solid size/speed numbers. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/62021.html

Herron 4.74 40 NEGATIVES: Lacks speed and agility around the corner.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/60232.html

SkinBasket
02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Second, I think he'll have much more of the Darren Sharper/Nick Collins type of learning curve than the Marques Anderson/Antwan Edwards type.

Hell, I condemned him two years ago when I noticed he had a wonderful tendency to be nowhere near the guy he was supposed to be covering and lacked the speed to catch up to whoever ran past him.

As far as Joe's points, I doubt many - if any - players are intimidated by Bigby. Fans tend to remember those three or four "big" hits he's had in his entire career more than the players who salivate when they see him in coverage. That and most guys in the league probably don't even remember him at this point. His 5 interceptions were more the product of playing deep and fielding poorly thrown passes than him jumping any routes or actually anticipating where the play was going.

Finally, I don't put much stock in his 40 numbers - good or bad. Unless there's a plan to have our safeties run as fast as they can in a straight line for 40 yards, it doesn't tell you much.

You can also tout whatever size/speed numbers you want, but the fact is when he steps onto the football field he is a sub-par to average player who's had one great game and a handful of memorable plays, some of them in the preseason, that people want to glom onto instead of admitting that he's just not that good. Instead he's the dreadlocked silly named fella everyone wants to believe is just one more season away from becoming the great player they want him to be instead of the average player he is.

Fritz
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
My problem with that is that many of the same types of criticisms were leveled against Sharper and Collins (though admittedly against Andersen and Edwards, too). Safeties seem to often take three years to get it together, so I'm willing to give Bigby this year to prove he can or can't do it.

You think he's more Antwan Edwards, I think he's more Darren sharper

Gunakor
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Hell, I condemned him two years ago when I noticed he had a wonderful tendency to be nowhere near the guy he was supposed to be covering and lacked the speed to catch up to whoever ran past him.

As far as Joe's points, I doubt many - if any - players are intimidated by Bigby. Fans tend to remember those three or four "big" hits he's had in his entire career more than the players who salivate when they see him in coverage. That and most guys in the league probably don't even remember him at this point. His 5 interceptions were more the product of playing deep and fielding poorly thrown passes than him jumping any routes or actually anticipating where the play was going.

Finally, I don't put much stock in his 40 numbers - good or bad. Unless there's a plan to have our safeties run as fast as they can in a straight line for 40 yards, it doesn't tell you much.

You can also tout whatever size/speed numbers you want, but the fact is when he steps onto the football field he is a sub-par to average player who's had one great game and a handful of memorable plays, some of them in the preseason, that people want to glom onto instead of admitting that he's just not that good. Instead he's the dreadlocked silly named fella everyone wants to believe is just one more season away from becoming the great player they want him to be instead of the average player he is.

Not to worry, because I doubt Bigby would be left in coverage too much anyway. It sounds like they won't be using their safeties in cover 2 anymore, rather they'll leave Collins as the single high safety and bring Bigby down into the box for run support. Bigby won't have 5 interceptions. He probably won't have 2. But he'll rack up 70+ tackles, some of them for loss, and probably 3+ sacks too. He'll create havoc at the LOS, which is really the point of a 3-4 in general. Now, from what you've seen of him these past 2 seasons, what gives you the indication that Bigby will fail here?

SkinBasket
02-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Not to worry, because I doubt Bigby would be left in coverage too much anyway. It sounds like they won't be using their safeties in cover 2 anymore, rather they'll leave Collins as the single high safety and bring Bigby down into the box for run support. Bigby won't have 5 interceptions. He probably won't have 2. But he'll rack up 70+ tackles, some of them for loss, and probably 3+ sacks too. He'll create havoc at the LOS, which is really the point of a 3-4 in general. Now, from what you've seen of him these past 2 seasons, what gives you the indication that Bigby will fail here?

The other reason I think he's struggled is that he took a long time to figure out where he was supposed to be and what he was supposed to be doing in 07. As he figured these things out with some pretty brutal on-the-job training, he did show improvement that year. Improvement from liability to marginal starter. In 08, he seemed to regress before the injury officially ended his season.

So I'm looking at a guy who wasn't improving in 08 and was slow to figure out a simpler scheme coming into a new defense and returning from injury. Sure, he might create some havoc at the line. If I put on pads and ran in random directions around the line, I would probably cause some confusion too. That doesn't mean I'd be helping the defense. Meanwhile, RBs, TEs and WRs will be running past him and down the field.

I just think a lot of people put far too much weight on the few big plays he's had instead of his larger body of work that includes a lot shoddy play, bad angles taken at low speed, and broken coverages.

Patler
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM

The other reason I think he's struggled is that he took a long time to figure out where he was supposed to be and what he was supposed to be doing in 07. As he figured these things out with some pretty brutal on-the-job training, he did show improvement that year. Improvement from liability to marginal starter. In 08, he seemed to regress before the injury officially ended his season.

So I'm looking at a guy who wasn't improving in 08 and was slow to figure out a simpler scheme coming into a new defense and returning from injury. Sure, he might create some havoc at the line. If I put on pads and ran in random directions around the line, I would probably cause some confusion too. That doesn't mean I'd be helping the defense. Meanwhile, RBs, TEs and WRs will be running past him and down the field.

I just think a lot of people put far too much weight on the few big plays he's had instead of his larger body of work that includes a lot shoddy play, bad angles taken at low speed, and broken coverages.

I don't think we can determine anything from his 2008 season. He had an interception in the first game, was injured in the second game and missed the next 5 completely (he wasn't even active). He tried to come back in game #7, but clearly was not ready. He was in and out for the next 5 games, starting but not lasting long in most of them because he simply could not run. He only lasted one or two series in several of the games. He played in only 7 games all year, and only the first before being injured.

Injuries have held him back more than anything else. The Packers didn't sign him until toward the end of 2005. He played very well in NFL-E that off season and was making a good impression back in GB. Going into camp a lot was expected from him, but he broke his hand early in camp and that shelved him for the first half of '06. In '07 he was healthy, had 3 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions, 21 passes defensed and more tackles than any DB since 1990. Sure he struggled a little bit early in '07, but those were his first real games in the NFL other than on ST.

I'm more concerned with his tendency toward injuries than anything else. He missed games late in '06 because of hamstring problems, too. If he stays healthy, I think he can be adequate.

3irty1
02-25-2009, 07:30 PM

I don't think we can determine anything from his 2008 season. He had an interception in the first game, was injured in the second game and missed the next 5 completely (he wasn't even active). He tried to come back in game #7, but clearly was not ready. He was in and out for the next 5 games, starting but not lasting long in most of them because he simply could not run. He only lasted one or two series in several of the games. He played in only 7 games all year, and only the first before being injured.

Injuries have held him back more than anything else. The Packers didn't sign him until toward the end of 2005. He played very well in NFL-E that off season and was making a good impression back in GB. Going into camp a lot was expected from him, but he broke his hand early in camp and that shelved him for the first half of '06. In '07 he was healthy, had 3 forced fumbles, 5 interceptions, 21 passes defensed and more tackles than any DB since 1990. Sure he struggled a little bit early in '07, but those were his first real games in the NFL other than on ST.

I'm more concerned with his tendency toward injuries than anything else. He missed games late in '06 because of hamstring problems, too. If he stays healthy, I think he can be adequate.

I agree. I think the tard Bigby of last year has made you forgot how much he was on camera in 2007. You don't rack up all those tackles by being out of position. He was a missile that year.

Waldo
02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Bigby is my favorite Packer, by a good margin. His instincts are incredibly good, and he plays defense like it is supposed to be played.

SnakeLH2006
02-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Bigby is my favorite Packer, by a good margin. His instincts are incredibly good, and he plays defense like it is supposed to be played.

Snake loves to rally behind the big play, but agrees Bigby is one of my faves too. His speed is fine for a SS and how many other safeties have we had the past few years who lacked awareness at times (Marquand Manual, Collins till last year, etc.)? I think he makes plays and his intimidation does come into play. The run-stuffing was a plus that we didn't get to see much of in 2008 from the S position.

Snake's all aboard the missile train, but would settle for a drunken parade float for sure. Healthy...Bigby will excel in the new 3-4 scheme getting some sacks, hits, tackles, etc. and fill a stat sheet for sure.

Hey, Fritz is that float on Youtube or what? Sounds damn entertaining for the waning yawns of February in WI... :lol:

Bretsky
02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
My problem with that is that many of the same types of criticisms were leveled against Sharper and Collins (though admittedly against Andersen and Edwards, too). Safeties seem to often take three years to get it together, so I'm willing to give Bigby this year to prove he can or can't do it.

You think he's more Antwan Edwards, I think he's more Darren sharper

Sharper showed some great ball skills even early on in his career; Nick Collins has shown me from early on he can get a great jump on the ball.
I've always liked Sharper and feel like he's a better player than most in here think. He had one terrible year tackling (I think it was year two) when he took some terrible angles........but after that year IMO he was average at tackling and a good safety when healthy. Collins, I think he's always had the skills; he just needed to be more sure handed

I've always felt the upside for Bigby is very limited; he still reminds me of Chuck Cecil. I don't see the natural instincts in coverage or on the ball. He's serviceable but a guy that a good offensive coordinator can find ways to expose. I would not want to count on him covering a guy in the clutch. Great hitter but doesn't seem to get nearly the jump that Collins gets or doesn't have the nack for the ball that Sharper has.

I doubt he's a guy that is the long term answer; I'm happy to be wrong though

SkinBasket
02-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Crazy how widely different views are on Bigby. Some people saw him making plays. Some people saw him benefiting from one of the best corner tandems in the league. Some people saw him blowing people up while others saw him running in the wrong direction. Some people saw him as intimidating while others saw TEs and RBs running past him like he was a fence post.

Maybe I have to admit that he can be as good as he can be bad, but I'm still not convinced that's worth the trade-off from a more consistent player. He apparently will be given every chance to have a good year if they plan on using him in a role where his weaknesses are limited, and for the team's sake, I hope he succeeds. I just don't think it'll happen if he's in the game on passing downs. I think it's more likely Rouse pulls his head out his ass and starts learning how to play the position. Sure, he doesn't have the hair or the kooky name, but I think he has a much better chance to be another Darren Sharper (not that that's such a great thing) than Bigby ever does considering the limitations the latter has demonstrated on-field.

The other half of the equation for me is I would be much more tolerant of having a guy like Bigby out there if we didn't have a guy with matching limitations in Poppinga on the field at the same time.

Fritz
02-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Crazy how widely different views are on Bigby. Some people saw him making plays. Some people saw him benefiting from one of the best corner tandems in the league. Some people saw him blowing people up while others saw him running in the wrong direction. Some people saw him as intimidating while others saw TEs and RBs running past him like he was a fence post.

Maybe I have to admit that he can be as good as he can be bad, but I'm still not convinced that's worth the trade-off from a more consistent player. He apparently will be given every chance to have a good year if they plan on using him in a role where his weaknesses are limited, and for the team's sake, I hope he succeeds. I just don't think it'll happen if he's in the game on passing downs. I think it's more likely Rouse pulls his head out his ass and starts learning how to play the position. Sure, he doesn't have the hair or the kooky name, but I think he has a much better chance to be another Darren Sharper (not that that's such a great thing) than Bigby ever does considering the limitations the latter has demonstrated on-field.

The other half of the equation for me is I would be much more tolerant of having a guy like Bigby out there if we didn't have a guy with matching limitations in Poppinga on the field at the same time.

Well, the Poppy train is one that I have jumped off of. I liked the guy for a couple years, but this year he had every opportunity to step up and shine, but no matter what Winston Moss says, I just don't think Popps did the job. For a guy whose calling card is run stuffing, he seemed to me to whiff on an awful lot of tackles, some of which were game-changers (Minnesota). And sespite his supposed improved coverage skills, it didn't seem to play out on the field.

He has become...just a guy. The kind of guy who could start for the Lions, like Paris Lenon did.

Partial
02-27-2009, 07:19 AM
To me, I see Bigby as a pretty good player when healthy. His problem is he can't stay healthy.

He's got the speed of Bob Sanders. The coverage liability of Bob Sanders. The big hits of Bob Sanders. Better blitzing than Bob Sanders. Better size than Bob Sanders. The equally poor ability to stay healthy of Bob Sanders.

update: Looked up Sanders combine number of 4.35 for a 40. I'm pretty skeptical of that because he does not look very fast on the field. Certainly not a whole gear faster than Bigby imo.

In 2007, the year Sanders won DPOTY, Bigby had 3 more interceptions, 3 more passes deflections, and only ten less tackles. He did have 2.5 less sacks, but the Packers never brought Bigby on the blitz.

With that said, the stats show that Bigby was in coverage more imo, which is not the strong suit for either guy.

So what is the difference? Indy utilizes players in a way to minimize liability and maximize potential. Vanilla Bob never blitzed with Bigby or put him in a shot to shine.

I look for big things out of him in the 3-4 if he's A) healthy, and B) used in the box and off the edge with some blitzes. I'm ready to see him hurdle another running back.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 09:32 AM
In '07 Bigby had a ridiculous ability to always be on screen. His nose for the ball is exceptional. He never had spells of being lost, like Collins did, where you wouldn't hear from him for a quarter or two. Bigby was around on virtually every play. Didn't always make the play and made mistakes, but play awareness is a very valuable trait and he has a lot of it. His hitting is cool and all, his athletic ability is mediocre (for the position), his technique is so-so at best, but his play recognition is exceptional.

KYPack
02-27-2009, 09:51 AM
To me, I see Bigby as a pretty good player when healthy. His problem is he can't stay healthy.

He's got the speed of Bob Sanders. The coverage liability of Bob Sanders. The big hits of Bob Sanders. Better blitzing than Bob Sanders. Better size than Bob Sanders. The equally poor ability to stay healthy of Bob Sanders.

update: Looked up Sanders combine number of 4.35 for a 40. I'm pretty skeptical of that because he does not look very fast on the field. Certainly not a whole gear faster than Bigby imo.

Bigby cannot cover as well as Bob Sanders. He has decent blitz skills, but Bob is one of the league's top blitzers and 8 in the box man.

Sanders IS a gear faster than Bigby. Bigby did a 4.65 40 coming out of college. Bigby's instincts and game sense are top notch. But you essentially have a slow guy with leg and ankle miseries. He has to make a miraculous comeback physically to help us next season. He might do it, & I hope he does.

Bossman641
02-27-2009, 10:33 AM

In 2007, the year Sanders won DPOTY, Bigby had 3 more interceptions, 3 more passes deflections, and only ten less tackles. He did have 2.5 less sacks, but the Packers never brought Bigby on the blitz.

With that said, the stats show that Bigby was in coverage more imo, which is not the strong suit for either guy.

So what is the difference? Indy utilizes players in a way to minimize liability and maximize potential. Vanilla Bob never blitzed with Bigby or put him in a shot to shine.

I look for big things out of him in the 3-4 if he's A) healthy, and B) used in the box and off the edge with some blitzes. I'm ready to see him hurdle another running back.

Bob Sanders is 10x the player Bigby is. Besides, why are you using stats to try and prove your case? Isn't that against your whole style of analysis? Sanders has "it", Bigby doesn't.

Sanders is one of the 3-4 very good safeties in the league. Bigby is "average", along with 24 other safeties in the league.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Bigby cannot cover as well as Bob Sanders. He has decent blitz skills, but Bob is one of the league's top blitzers and 8 in the box man.

Sanders IS a gear faster than Bigby. Bigby did a 4.65 40 coming out of college. Bigby's instincts and game sense are top notch. But you essentially have a slow guy with leg and ankle miseries. He has to make a miraculous comeback physically to help us next season. He might do it, & I hope he does.

So the question arises, who should we be targeting that would be better? Certainly Rouse isn't going to play that 8th man in the box as well as Bigby could. I don't see Woodson playing SS much (if at all) in this new scheme, because Chuck's strength is in pass coverage whereas the SS will apparently be used more often than not in run support. So I can pretty much guarantee that we don't have anybody better than Bigby currently on the roster. Where do we look for an upgrade, and how much money/how high a draft pick would you justify using to make that upgrade?

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 10:55 AM
There are some safeties out there. Guys that I think would be upgrades: Gibril Wilson (already signed with Miami) and Sean Jones. Jermaine Phillips has been solid, but I'm not sure how he fits our new scheme. James Sanders might be a young guy to take a chance on. Stopgap, but a good one = Brian Dawkins. He probably has 1 or 2 years left. If they don't think Bigby (or Rouse) is the long-term answer, then getting a stopgap until they can find the answer might not be a bad idea. I'm okay with them passing on Dawkins though. I'd like to see them take a chance on Jones or Sanders. Both have 3-4 experience also.

Partial
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM

Bob Sanders is 10x the player Bigby is. Besides, why are you using stats to try and prove your case? Isn't that against your whole style of analysis? Sanders has "it", Bigby doesn't.

Sanders is one of the 3-4 very good safeties in the league. Bigby is "average", along with 24 other safeties in the league.

Well, I disagree. My eyes do not agree with that assessment at all. How can someone be 10x the player when he himself is RARELY healthy and playing? If you haven't noticed Sanders is a walking injury.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

For what its worth, Polamalu's 40 time is 4.54, about .1 faster than Bigby.

On a disgustingly fast note, Neon Deion has been timed running a 4.6 backpedaling. That is out of this world.

3irty1
02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
There are some safeties out there. Guys that I think would be upgrades: Gibril Wilson (already signed with Miami) and Sean Jones. Jermaine Phillips has been solid, but I'm not sure how he fits our new scheme. James Sanders might be a young guy to take a chance on. Stopgap, but a good one = Brian Dawkins. He probably has 1 or 2 years left. If they don't think Bigby (or Rouse) is the long-term answer, then getting a stopgap until they can find the answer might not be a bad idea. I'm okay with them passing on Dawkins though. I'd like to see them take a chance on Jones or Sanders. Both have 3-4 experience also.

Bedard mentioned CC Brown from the Texans as a possible fit for the Pack. He was drafted during Capers time with the Texans.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I forgot about Brown. He wasn't on a list of top 10 safeties available, but I think he's probably better than 1/2 the guys on the list, and he has experience with Capers.

Patler
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
If they don't think Bigby (or Rouse) is the long-term answer, then getting a stopgap until they can find the answer might not be a bad idea. I'm okay with them passing on Dawkins though. I'd like to see them take a chance on Jones or Sanders. Both have 3-4 experience also.

One of the things I look forward to is seeing how Rouse fits into the new defense. The kid is as big as our linebackers, but so far it has been a bit difficult getting a feel for what he really can do.

Fritz
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM

If Bob Sanders is that good, why'd the Packers let him go?

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Bedard mentioned CC Brown from the Texans as a possible fit for the Pack. He was drafted during Capers time with the Texans.

But is he better than Bigby? I mean, apparently the Packers think enough of him to offer the second round tender to retain him. Certainly they must think Bigby is better than most of the FA's out there too, or you'd think they'd offer a lower tender to Bigby and look at a more expensive pickup in FA. I don't know, I just don't think Bigby is a bad fit for this defense at all. I'd look for a backup in or after the 4th round of the draft, because I think Rouse is a bad fit for this defense, but I think Bigby will be even better in 2009 playing up than he was in 2007 playing deep. He'll be fine.

wist43
02-27-2009, 12:27 PM
If they don't think Bigby (or Rouse) is the long-term answer, then getting a stopgap until they can find the answer might not be a bad idea. I'm okay with them passing on Dawkins though. I'd like to see them take a chance on Jones or Sanders. Both have 3-4 experience also.

One of the things I look forward to is seeing how Rouse fits into the new defense. The kid is as big as our linebackers, but so far it has been a bit difficult getting a feel for what he really can do.

I agree... Rouse has some intiguing measurables, but was wasted on that POS scheme the Packers were running. Maybe he's a player, maybe not, but I'd like to see them use him to his strengths, instead of asking him to be a glorified corner.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
But is he better than Bigby? I mean, apparently the Packers think enough of him to offer the second round tender to retain him. Certainly they must think Bigby is better than most of the FA's out there too, or you'd think they'd offer a lower tender to Bigby and look at a more expensive pickup in FA.

Not really. The difference between tenders is only like $500,000, and $1.5M isn't that much for even a backup, third safety with some experience--especially since they haven't actually signed a replacement yet.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
But is he better than Bigby? I mean, apparently the Packers think enough of him to offer the second round tender to retain him. Certainly they must think Bigby is better than most of the FA's out there too, or you'd think they'd offer a lower tender to Bigby and look at a more expensive pickup in FA.

Not really. The difference between tenders is only like $500,000, and $1.5M isn't that much for even a backup, third safety with some experience--especially since they haven't actually signed a replacement yet.

Good point. I guess I just think Bigby is alot better than people give him credit for. I think there are a lot of guys out there who would be different than Bigby, but not necessarily an upgrade - which Patler alluded to in one of these threads (I forget which one). If I'm going to make a change, it has to be for a guy who I know is better than the guy he's replacing. And Bigby isn't all that bad, so...

Sean Jones would be one I would be for, if it were to happen. Jim Leonhard is another, again, if it were to happen. CC Brown I'm skeptical of, but I might be willing to see if it works out. But there aren't many others, because Bigby is a pretty good football player IMO.

Patler
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
It doesn't mean they think he is better than what else is available, it just means he is one of their better options right now. If they can acquire a better safety they can trade or release Bigby, in which case he will have cost nothing. The higher tender keeps him as an option for them. For the lower tender they may have lost him as an option, forcing their hand in acquiring someone else. If they get someone else, Bigby would have trade value, if they like Rouse as a #3 safety or draft someone.

sharpe1027
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Sharper showed some great ball skills even early on in his career; Nick Collins has shown me from early on he can get a great jump on the ball.
I've always liked Sharper and feel like he's a better player than most in here think. He had one terrible year tackling (I think it was year two) when he took some terrible angles........but after that year IMO he was average at tackling and a good safety when healthy. Collins, I think he's always had the skills; he just needed to be more sure handed

I've always felt the upside for Bigby is very limited; he still reminds me of Chuck Cecil. I don't see the natural instincts in coverage or on the ball. He's serviceable but a guy that a good offensive coordinator can find ways to expose. I would not want to count on him covering a guy in the clutch. Great hitter but doesn't seem to get nearly the jump that Collins gets or doesn't have the nack for the ball that Sharper has.

I doubt he's a guy that is the long term answer; I'm happy to be wrong though

IMO, Collins couldn't make a play on the ball to save his life until last year. He was able to get to the proper location, but was terrible at locating the ball and breaking up passes. Last year the "light went on".

Bossman641
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Well, I disagree. My eyes do not agree with that assessment at all. How can someone be 10x the player when he himself is RARELY healthy and playing? If you haven't noticed Sanders is a walking injury.

On a disgustingly fast note, Neon Deion has been timed running a 4.6 backpedaling. That is out of this world.

You're getting confused again. You confuse performance with reliability and the ability to stay healthy.

Sanders is injury-prone, yes, because he throws his body around like a madman. He's 5'8" 206 but plays like he is 6'2" 235. When he is healthy he is ridiculously good at filling holes. Sanders is a difference-maker, Bigby not so much.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 02:00 PM

You're getting confused again. You confuse performance with reliability and the ability to stay healthy.

Sanders is injury-prone, yes, because he throws his body around like a madman. He's 5'8" 206 but plays like he is 6'2" 235. When he is healthy he is ridiculously good at filling holes. Sanders is a difference-maker, Bigby not so much.

Bigby was miscast in Sanders vanilla defense. Bigby is not a cover 2 safety, although he didn't appear horrible at it either. Bigby will be much better playing up in the box than he was playing cover 2. He's a hitter. He'll provide a huge boost to our run defense, and will occasionally pressure the QB on passing downs. We did neither effectively last season. That alone qualifies him as a difference maker IMO.

SkinBasket
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I still say you people are completely overestimating Bigby's "hitting" based on less than a handful of plays he's made over the years. And remember, you gotta catch a guy to hit him. If Bigby's playing closer to the line this year, guys aren't going to be in front of him anymore and he sure as shit ain't going to make it across the field to run down a play. Lack of speed and bad angles have demonstrated that much. Maybe he can swat down another couple interceptions out of Al's hands this season though. Wonder if those get recorded as passes defensed.

Partial
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Talent is worthless if you cannot display it. See Cullen Jenkins. One of the top 10 ends physically imo, but since he is healthy about 5% of the time at best, he's pretty much useless.

You're not a difference maker on the bench, is my point.

SkinBasket
02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Talent is worthless if you cannot display it. See Cullen Jenkins. One of the top 10 ends physically imo, but since he is healthy about 5% of the time at best, he's pretty much useless.

Vince Young.

Bossman641
02-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Vince Young.

LOL, walked right into that one.

Partial
02-27-2009, 11:36 PM
touche.

Guiness
02-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Jesus Partial, you just said in the thread about Canty http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=16903&start=40
that the results when Jenkins has been on the field have been less than stellar. Now he's a top 10 end?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :crazy:

SnakeLH2006
02-28-2009, 10:57 PM

OMG! Snake hates this:

http://www.truckspills.com/beer_spill_1.jpg

..But I'm bound to lose beer out my nose laughing when I seem to be the only one to sense the true irony Bossman put forth here. Great stuff for sure bro! Can't get over that comment!! :lol: I wish Arod wasn't as average. :lol:

mraynrand
02-28-2009, 11:22 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/DSCN1673.jpg

packerbacker1234
03-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Guys, Bigby last year was one of the hardest hitters on our team when he was healthy. He forced a lot of fumbles, and has ok hands too and decent instincts. Plus: He's still young, and finally has a good defensive coaching staff around him.

If he can come back 100% healthy, Bigby could be a big reason this defense plays better. But for god's sake, we need some DL depth.