PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth to the Redskins

Brando19
02-24-2009, 02:54 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/24/report-haynesworth-to-the-skins/

Looks like the top Free Agent is off the market before it even begins. I hope the Packers land Bart Scott now that Haynesworth and Peppers are off the market.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
So basically he gets paid a million dollars to play a game. Some people don't know how lucky they are.

sheepshead
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Snyders a goof. Thankfully we have a front office with brains.

Lurker64
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
That's a lot of money. I'm not sure I would pay that.

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
If this report is true, wouldn't this be considered tampering? Teams aren't supposed to contact FAs until free agency actually begins. You'd think the team and agent would be smarter than to let this out--unless this is a ploy to get the Titans to offer more money.

red
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
good i'm glad he's gone

but i'm with you harv. what the hell? sure sounds like a deal is already in place, a few days before teams are even allowed to talk

rbaloha1
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/24/report-haynesworth-to-the-skins/

Looks like the top Free Agent is off the market before it even begins. I hope the Packers land Bart Scott now that Haynesworth and Peppers are off the market.

Bart Scott would be a great pickup at the right price.

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Bart Scott would be a great pickup at the right price.

The only problem is that Scott is better at ILB and I don't think Hawk or Barnett can play outside. I guess it depends on Barnett's rehab.

Rastak
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
If this report is true, wouldn't this be considered tampering? Teams aren't supposed to contact FAs until free agency actually begins. You'd think the team and agent would be smarter than to let this out--unless this is a ploy to get the Titans to offer more money.

Except they don't enforce it. Unless the Titans made a big stink, and everyone involved would just deny it, it's likely true.

When players are on the verge of free agency, it's like an unwritten rule. One of the reasons Florio constantly harps on it and thinks they should change the rule to allow a 30 window to negotiate with other teams is that what guys are doing now anyway.

Rumor has it Sharper's got na deal with the Saints. It's just the way it is.

Brando19
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Except they don't enforce it. Unless the Titans made a big stink, and everyone involved would just deny it, it's likely true.

When players are on the verge of free agency, it's like an unwritten rule. One of the reasons Florio constantly harps on it and thinks they should change the rule to allow a 30 window to negotiate with other teams is that what guys are doing now anyway.

Rumor has it Sharper's got na deal with the Saints. It's just the way it is.

The draft is working the same way. Jake Long signed with the Dolphins days before he was drafted.

Patler
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
The draft is working the same way. Jake Long signed with the Dolphins days before he was drafted.

That is specifically allowed. Has been for a number of years. The team with the first pick is allowed to negotiate terms with players. I believe if they sign someone, the team in the second position is then allowed to begin negotiations with players.

As I recall, in 2006 that is how the Texans ended up with Mario Williams. They intended to take Reggie Bush and even opened negotiations with him, but didn't like the way it was going, so they finalized a deal very quickly with Williams instead.

Guiness
02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Quite right Patler. Also correct on the fact that the team drafting second can begin to negotiate after a deal has been signed with a player by the team drafting first.

The story from '06 goes that the Texans were negotiating with RB, and he believed his press, that he was the can't miss prospect of the decade, etc. Houston offered a 10% raise over Alex Smith's contract, but Seagel wanted 20%. Houston went to Williams, said: "how would you like to be the #1 pick, we'll give you 4% more than the guy got last year" and he signed.

I don't know about the blind eye being turned when it comes to talking to FAs though. If Tennessee, thought for one second there was anything solid they could base a claim on, they'll raise holy hell about this in hopes of getting a draft pick, a la Chicago/San Fran over Briggs.

Brando19
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Patler and Guiness. Makes sense. I wonder is the Lions have offered a deal to anyone yet..perhaps Curry?

red
02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks Patler and Guiness. Makes sense. I wonder is the Lions have offered a deal to anyone yet..perhaps Curry?

waaaay to early for that

the talks with bush and mario i don't think happened until a week or 2 before the draft

PackerPro42
02-24-2009, 08:46 PM
How the hell can the Redskins afford to pay him that? Last time I checked they were one of the teams that was dangerously close to the salary cap.

SnakeLH2006
02-24-2009, 11:08 PM
How the hell can the Redskins afford to pay him that? Last time I checked they were one of the teams that was dangerously close to the salary cap.

See this thread as it may not matter soon: http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=16869

Also, Snyder is one of those guys who will do whatever to sign a guy to a massive deal to get attention on his team, and oh ya, he's filthy rich, and kind of a bonehead owner. See Deion, Randle El, Marty Shotty, etc. Daniel Snyder (aka Fuck a Cap).

Fritz
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM

That is specifically allowed. Has been for a number of years. The team with the first pick is allowed to negotiate terms with players. I believe if they sign someone, the team in the second position is then allowed to begin negotiations with players.

As I recall, in 2006 that is how the Texans ended up with Mario Williams. They intended to take Reggie Bush and even opened negotiations with him, but didn't like the way it was going, so they finalized a deal very quickly with Williams instead.

This got me thinking. If the first team to pick signed their guy, and the second team could then negotiate with their guy, could this just keep going on and on until draft day? I wonder what the possibility is that some day the first three or four picks will be done before the draft ever starts?

Guiness
02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
This got me thinking. If the first team to pick signed their guy, and the second team could then negotiate with their guy, could this just keep going on and on until draft day? I wonder what the possibility is that some day the first three or four picks will be done before the draft ever starts?

*shrug*
theoretically, I guess it could. I looked around a bit, including the draft section of the CBA - nothing, nada, not even a mention of the team having the first pick overall being allowed to negotiate.

Fritz
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
IF this Haynesworth thing is true - and of course his agent is denying it, since admitting it would be to admit to breaking the rules - then how does Snyder even do this stuff? How much salary can he defer?

Man, if he was running the team back in the day, he'd still have Billy Kilmer on the books for a couple mill this year!

Rastak
02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
IF this Haynesworth thing is true - and of course his agent is denying it, since admitting it would be to admit to breaking the rules - then how does Snyder even do this stuff? How much salary can he defer?

Man, if he was running the team back in the day, he'd still have Billy Kilmer on the books for a couple mill this year!

They've been clearing cap all week and there ain't one next year.