PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay cuts some vets

Guiness
02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Tampa Bay cut some big names today...
Derrick Brooks, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, Cato June and Warrick Dunn.

Gruden liked his vets, but the new coach is obviously getting rid of some of the old guys. Youngest of this group was June, who is 30.

All pretty much guys who are played out, IMO. Certainly Galloway is. I can't see Dunn being productive anymore - carries and age are catching up.

Have to wonder about Brooks though. You have to think someone will give him a spot. NE maybe? They seem to like old LB's.

3irty1
02-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Kind of surprising. Are they in cap trouble?

Fritz
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Man, those guys are ancient. Gar, mates! Them be some grizzled vets!

red
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM

not even close

they were like 50 million under the cap before these cuts

now they might be over 60 under the cap

red
02-25-2009, 02:31 PM
lots of cuts today

panthers cut, offensive guard Jeremy Bridges, wide receiver D.J. Hackett and running back Nick Goings

colts cut harrison

and the skins might be making some cuts too

Fritz
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
lots of cuts today

panthers cut, offensive guard Jeremy Bridges, wide receiver D.J. Hackett and running back Nick Goings

colts cut harrison

and the skins might be making some cuts too

If the Haynesworth rumors prove true, they'll have to cut half the team to afford Big Albert. They'll only have nine guys on the offensive side of the ball, and seven on defense.

TennesseePackerBacker
02-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I've heard plenty of rumors about Tampa Bay wanting to get in to the Haynesworth bidding war. They certainly have the money to be players now.

Patler
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Brooks? I'm shocked. Talk about a team leader, the face of the defense. A linebacker who hasn't missed a game in his career and has been a Pro Bowl selection 11 times in 14 years. If it was for cap reasons, I could understand, but just "because"? From what I had heard last season, he was still playing very well.

I saw a special on him last year. He watches game films several hours every day all year long. In the off season he watches film on college players he might have to face in the future, and not just the seniors. He said he had seen most of the games Peterson played in college, and almost every play he was in for with the Vikings before he ever faced him on the field. He studies and takes notes on runners tendencies based on situations, how they cut, the way they head fake, anything to give him an advantage. He then reviews his years and years of notes on the players he will face each week. He said it can make a difference for that one critical play in a game, stopping the runner just short of a first down, etc.

A real professional in his approach to his job.

Lurker64
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd just like to say that it's nice to not have to be cutting a lot of vets this time of year for whatever reason.

KYPack
02-25-2009, 05:02 PM

not even close

they were like 50 million under the cap before these cuts

Now they might be over 60 under the cap

I thought you were kiddin', Red.

They really ARE 60 million under the cap.

If the CBA goes away, they don't have to spend to the minimim, right?

Then the Glazers will take their money over the pond to bail out Manchester United!

Deputy Nutz
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Brooks? I'm shocked. Talk about a team leader, the face of the defense. A linebacker who hasn't missed a game in his career and has been a Pro Bowl selection 11 times in 14 years. If it was for cap reasons, I could understand, but just "because"? From what I had heard last season, he was still playing very well.

I saw a special on him last year. He watches game films several hours every day all year long. In the off season he watches film on college players he might have to face in the future, and not just the seniors. He said he had seen most of the games Peterson played in college, and almost every play he was in for with the Vikings before he ever faced him on the field. He studies and takes notes on runners tendencies based on situations, how they cut, the way they head fake, anything to give him an advantage. He then reviews his years and years of notes on the players he will face each week. He said it can make a difference for that one critical play in a game, stopping the runner just short of a first down, etc.

I didn't pay enough attention to the Bucs this year to notice if Brooks' play dropped significantly enough to cut a true pro in this league.

packers11
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Didn't Brooks have a really good game against us last year???

I could have swore that when I was watching the game he was everywhere... I'm pretty sure he caused a fumble on Grant and picked of Rodgers...

He was defiantly a play maker during the packers game... (unfortunately)

red
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
jets cut Laveranues coles

Lurker64
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
If the CBA goes away, they don't have to spend to the minimim, right?

Yup, as things stand, in 2010 there will be no minimum salaries and no minumum "total team salaries." If the Bengals want to cut everybody, and sign 70 UDFAs and pay them $50,000 each, they will be free to do so.

2010 is going to be a bad year for the vets. The NFLPA really ought to get its act together and get to the bargaining table.

KYPack
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM

I didn't pay enough attention to the Bucs this year to notice if Brooks' play dropped significantly enough to cut a true pro in this league.

He played well against us. He made the ProBowl for the 200th time. He's still a player, but did slow a bit last year.

I agree with the move, if they are gonna change, they don't need DB.

Dallas, mebbe?

DB to Dallas instead of Ray-Ray?

BallHawk
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd love to have Cato June.

Guiness
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
He played well against us. He made the ProBowl for the 200th time. He's still a player, but did slow a bit last year.

I agree with the move, if they are gonna change, they don't need DB.

Dallas, mebbe?

DB to Dallas instead of Ray-Ray?

I didn't say anything at first because I didn't know how much his play had dropped off (I saw very little football last year) but it seems posters here think he's still got something left.

So why did TB cut him??? Even if they want to go young, this guy is a leader, both on and off the field, with the dedication to film Patler talked about. If he'd dropped to the level of backup, he sure could show the new guys a lot while providing quality depth. And it's not like they needed the cap room.

As far as Dallas, Ray is playing in a 3-4, whereas Brooks would be a question mark until you found out if he could adjust. But if you were confident he was going to, I'd sure rather have Brooks in my locker room!

Patler
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I did a little research. Brooks redid his contract in 2003 and again after 2006 to help the Bucs get under the salary cap. Apparently the 2006 change was very significant, and he actually gave up $ (like Leroy Butler did his last few years). He did not just re-categorize how it was paid to gain cap relief as you hear of so many doing. His salary cap # went from 10 million in 2005 and 7 in 2006, to less than 4 million in 2007 and 2008.

In 2006 he said he did it to help the Bucs, and so that they would not have to release him because he wanted to finish his career there, with his contract that ran through 2009.

The Shadow
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Maybe Brooks would be interested in signing with us so he can "stick it to" the Bucs?

Partial
02-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Surprised you all aren't in here saying good riddance to get rid of an effective veteran to replace him with an unproven younger player. Heaven forbid you keep a loyal, hard working, premiere player!!

Patler
02-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Surprised you all aren't in here saying good riddance to get rid of an effective veteran to replace him with an unproven younger player. Heaven forbid you keep a loyal, hard working, premiere player!!

The last highly capable players of significance released by the Packers with years still available on their contracts were Mike Wahle and Darren Sharper, and both were for salary cap reasons. I can think of no other player released in a manner similar to Brooks. I guess you could count Bubba Franks, but his performance had dropped significantly, and he would have earned more than Brooks this season.

The Packers have kept or offered to keep in diminished roles many veteran players even after they were replaced by younger, better players. For examples, consider Henderson's last season, Franks' last season, KGB's last year and a half and Favre this season. The Bucs made no such offer with Brooks.

channtheman
02-26-2009, 01:09 AM
deleted.