PDA

View Full Version : 2009 free agent thread

Pages : 1 [2]

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Justin Harrell will go to the pro bowl this year as DE.

red
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM

you have to set the bar a little lower for the poor guy

we need a realistic goal for him, one that he can achieve

i predict harrell we stay relatively healthy this year and play in 5 games

now if he ends up playing in 6 games i can say truthfully that he surpassed my wildest hopes for him

Rastak
03-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Ravens Ink Birk
From Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com:

After 11 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, and six Pro Bowl appearances, free agent center Matt Birk is leaving the team.

Birk agreed to a contract with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday afternoon. He will replace center Jason Brown, who this week signed a five-year $37.5 million contract with the St. Louis Rams. Birk will provide stability to the Baltimore blocking unit.

I'm disappointed to see him go. I don't think he saw eye to eye with Chilly.

The NFL Radio crew I was listening to thought the draft held a couple guys likely to be available in the second round and should start right away. A good year for centers I guess. Getting younger on the line isn;t a bad "long haul" thing. They very likely might grab a 1st round tackle and a 2nd round center. They like Radovich from USC that they got last year and Sullivan looked better as the year went on. Birk isn't the same player he was but he definitely can still play, not a bad move by the Ravens.

Joemailman
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
The odds aren't good for even the best 3-4 DE's to make the Pro Bowl because they typically don't get a lot of sacks. Now, if he plays well he might help get Kampman there.

Lurker64
03-04-2009, 06:49 PM

The NFL Radio crew I was listening to thought the draft held a couple guys likely to be available in the second round and should start right away. A good year for centers I guess. Getting younger on the line isn;t a bad "long haul" thing. They very likely might grab a 1st round tackle and a 2nd round center. They like Radovich from USC that they got last year and Sullivan looked better as the year went on. Birk isn't the same player he was but he definitely can still play, not a bad move by the Ravens.

Isn't Center Ryan Cook's best position? I know he was sort of miscast at OT, and he was a C in college.

Rastak
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Isn't Center Ryan Cook's best position? I know he was sort of miscast at OT, and he was a C in college.

Yea, but he's 6' 6" I believe...bordering too tall... in addition, he's wildly inconsistent at RT. Is he more consistent at center? Not sure. I guess he's a possibility but I'd guess Sullivan, Draft, FA in that order myself.

Brando19
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM

You're over twenty days off...you thought today was April Fool's Day didn't you??

MJZiggy
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
grady jackson signed with the lions...

and regarding jarret bush, all i can think of is that play where an unidentified opposing player ran about 20 yards past the point of initial contact as bush tried to hold on for dear life...JUNK HIM

Maybe we can trade Bush for Jackson?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2009, 08:06 PM

You're over twenty days off...you thought today was April Fool's Day didn't you??

He will

Brando19
03-04-2009, 08:10 PM

He will

I hope you're right. I really do. But....I'm willing to place a wager...if Harrell makes the Pro Bowl next year...you can choose my avatar for 2 months. If he doesn't...I can choose your avatar for 2 months. Deal?

Patler
03-04-2009, 08:19 PM
and regarding jarret bush, all i can think of is that play where an unidentified opposing player ran about 20 yards past the point of initial contact as bush tried to hold on for dear life...JUNK HIM

Wasn't that Earl Little in 2005? Ran hanging on to the the guys jersey with one hand from midfield until near the 20 when someone else caught up finally? Or are we thinking about different plays?

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM

He will

I hope you're right. I really do. But....I'm willing to place a wager...if Harrell makes the Pro Bowl next year...you can choose my avatar for 2 months. If he doesn't...I can choose your avatar for 2 months. Deal?

Your on. I had a dream he had three sacks in a game.

Brando19
03-04-2009, 08:26 PM

He will

Your on. I had a dream he had three sacks in a game.

Haha, I like you. Let's remember this deal.

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 01:10 AM
So who are WE signing? :lol:

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 01:12 AM
[quote=KYPack]Goddamn.

In the who gives a shit, but it sure is wierd, dept....

Denver just signed ANOTHER FA.

The Denver Broncos agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract with San Francisco 49ers free agent defensive tackle Ronald Fields, according to a league source. The 6-foot-2, 315-pound defensive lineman played in all 16 games last season. He was credited with 19 tackles, according to NFL.com.

I think Denver has lost it. They may become the first team to turn over the whole roster in the off-season

What are they doing out in Denver? Putting FA's pictures on a dartboard and throwing darts to see who's next?

Crazy stuff out there. Maybe Shanny was the only thing keeping Pat Bowlen from turning into Jerry Jones.

denver signings thus far:
Correll Buckhalter RB
Andra Davis LB
Brian Dawkins S
Jabar Gafney WR
Andre Goodman CB
Renaldo Hill S
Darrell Reid DT
Ronald Fields DT

jesus christ, just think of the mess this is going to make during training camp. It's tough to incorporate a few new players, but this list (and I'm sure I have missed some) is just unbelievable. What in the hell is this team thinking?

Also, that Cutler situation is a ticking time-bomb.

JSO blog posters would equate that with a Super Bowl. :lol:

Hey, if Denver loves free agents so much, maybe we could trade Mike Montgomery to them!

It wouldn't be the same ... they probably couldn't overpay for him then :lol:

Maybe not, but Snake would be happy getting back 12 footballs, some towels, and exclusive rights to ALL youtube videos of Montgomery getting toasted at the point of attack. I loved seeming Montgomery and Cole after a dumb ass play going back to the sidelines knuckebumping and going "good play homey, that dude was playa-hating, triple-teaming ya bro, but we finna get paid in FA fo real.". Those are classic moments you are glad you have a beer in hand. :)

KYPack
03-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Ex Brown safety Sean Jones is visiting the Eagles.

Brian Dawkins he ain't, but he'd be a fit with the Birds.

This is a guy I'd like to see us sign, but oh well.

Fritz
03-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Here's a quote from today's Detroit News, KY:

"Veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday , released by the Miami Dolphins, was scheduled to visit the Broncos on Thursday,"

This is a whole new way to build a team. Maybe the new youngsters and the owner out there aren't aware that there's a draft, too, where you get to pick college guys to play for your team.

For all the Teddy bashers who talk about how his do-nothing approach to signing free agents will be the downfall of the Pack, I propose a bet:

Denver wins more games than Green Bay next year, you all can change my avatar for a month.

Green Bay wins more than Denver, you all get me a date with Drew Barrymore.

digitaldean
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Ex Brown safety Sean Jones is visiting the Eagles.

Brian Dawkins he ain't, but he'd be a fit with the Birds.

This is a guy I'd like to see us sign, but oh well.

Sean Jones signed with the Eagles :cry:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/06/eagles-sign-sean-jones/

I see Bush is down in Nashville. C'mon Mike Reinfeldt, do your former employer and sign this guy up!! :wink:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2009/03/db-bush-visits-titans.html

HarveyWallbangers
03-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Deals that stand out to me.

BEST

Derrick Ward, TB (four years, $17 million, $6 million guaranteed)
Jon Stinchcomb, NO (five years, $11.4 million in base salary plus bonuses)
Rocky Bernard, NYG (four years, $16 million, $5 million to sign)
James Sanders, NE* (three years, $9 million, $4 million in first year)

I also like the Giants signing of Michael Boley for $5M/year. Boley was a stud two years ago, and he's not old. The one year deal for Sean Jones by the Eagles is intriguing to me also. Lots of talent. Maybe good coaching will get it out of him.

WORST

Michael Clayton, TB* (five years, $23.5 million, $10.5 million guaranteed)
Colin Cole, SEA (five years, $21.4 million, $6 million guaranteed)
Antonio Smith, HOU (five years, $35.5 million, $15.5 million guaranteed)
DeAngelo Hall, WAS* (six years, $54 million, $23 million guaranteed)
Domonique Foxworth, BAL (four years, $27.2 million, $16.5 million guaranteed)

Bretsky
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM

BEST

I also like the Giants signing of Michael Boley for $5M/year. Boley was a stud two years ago, and he's not old. The one year deal for Sean Jones by the Eagles is intriguing to me also. Lots of talent. Maybe good coaching will get it out of him.

WORST

Agree with all; that Giant D is dam scary on paper again :!:

red
03-09-2009, 09:14 PM

BEST

WORST

the thing with the cole signing is that he doesn't have a big signing bonus compared to the other guys that got the bigger deal. if he doesn't turn out to be a stud in a year or two, which i doubt he will, then they can cut him without taking a huge hit. in fact i wouldn't be surprised if his deal was back loaded up the ass. you know, one of those deals that looks much better then it really is

HarveyWallbangers
03-23-2009, 09:44 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-496/McCarthy-talks-Collins--offensive-line.html

McCarthy talks Collins, offensive line
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy was kind enough to step into the Black and Blue late Monday afternoon here at the NFL owners meetings. We'll sprinkle his comments into the blog all week, but here are the newsiest portions of the interview:

McCarthy acknowledged that safety Nick Collins, who is entering the final year of his contract, hasn't yet participated in the offseason program. Collins is hoping to jump-start negotiations for an extension but thus far the Packers have not acquiesced. McCarthy predicted the sides will "work it through" but offered no timetable for Collins' return.

"He's got [the contract] on his mind," McCarthy said. "That's obvious to everybody. It's important, really, in my conversations with Nick, we both agreed you need to separate football from business. And that's what we're going to do here in the near future."

McCarthy said Collins has kept "everybody in the building" informed of his plans.

"What you always ask from players when you have disagreements is to make sure there is constant and open communication. He's done a very good job of that. He's talked with [safeties coach] Darren Perry. He's talked with everybody he's needed to talk to. I've talked to him a couple times."

McCarthy also provided some insight into the evolving situation at offensive line, confirming that free agent Duke Preston visited Lambeau Field last week. If signed, Preston would provide depth at guard and center.

Daryn Colledge is likely to wind up at left guard rather than right tackle, McCarthy said, and Jason Spitz is expected to compete with Scott Wells for the starting center job. Overall, McCarthy reiterated he plans to elevate the competition along the offensive line with the hope that it "will take a big step" in 2009.

"I've said it over and over again and I'm going to say it again," McCarthy said. "I do want to create competition upfront and let those guys do their jobs, and try to get a little more continuity in the way we practice and the way we play."

Packers chasing Bills offensive lineman

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/41717817.html

red
03-23-2009, 09:56 PM
so who the hell is gonna play right tackle then?

andre smith?

Lurker64
03-23-2009, 10:13 PM
so who the hell is gonna play right tackle then?

andre smith?

My guess is "Tauscher, if he's healthy and resigns". If Tauscher isn't healthy or doesn't resign, Colledge, but McCarthy isn't going to say that for fear of hurting his chances of retaining Tauscher."

Joemailman
03-23-2009, 10:15 PM
If they sign Preston, he has played some RT, and has the right size. I think Barbre could also be given a chance there if Tauscher doesn't sign. Giacomini is a possibility.