PDA

View Full Version : 2009 free agent thread

Pages : [1] 2

red
02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
post em here when they happen

or when you hear something

nfl network is doing a show right now about it

and if i'm the bears, i jump all over leftwich. i think the guy has a ton of talent, and would be much much better then what they have now

Bretsky
02-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Rumor has it TTT has locked himself into the closet

source
www.tankduke.com

:lol:

Sorry, bad joke

An interesting poll would be our PR expectations of TT this offseason.

I expect a backup or two to compete with the we're fine there guys we already have.

Not expecting any remote type of splash early either

Brando19
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Red...I believe you're right about Leftwich...but I believe they should bid on Kurt Warner first because he could be their answer for the short term (3 years), secondly, they should try to trade for McNabb because he's obviously not thrilled about staying with Philly...and if those don't happen then sign Byron. But why the hell are we thinking of ways to improve the Bears? With that said...I hope to see the Bears sign Brad Johnson. :lol:

red
02-26-2009, 09:16 PM
pft is saying rex grossman wants to go to detroit

how awesome would that be to keep sexy in the division as a starter?

red
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
and who the hell is lindsay soto?

my god, i'm in love

red
02-26-2009, 09:21 PM
canty is on his way to washington to visit the skins

well, there goes one of the 2 guys i cared for i thought maybe we could get. igor being the other

Brando19
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
A wet dream would be Canty, Bart Scott, or the Ravens Center.

Brando19
02-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Cowboys safety Roy Williams is on the trade block and will get cut if there's no takers.

I wonder if Tomlinson is being used as trade bait?

Joemailman
02-26-2009, 09:27 PM

my god, i'm in love

is she a free agent?

http://3432.voxcdn.com/_images/articles/2008/10/25/x-20081024141153828.jpg

Brando19
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Look in the background...even Magic Johnson is checking her out!!!

red
02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
who cares, i'd hit that no matter what. she looks even better on nfl network right now

ravens are trying very hard to resign bart scott right now

Brando19
02-26-2009, 09:39 PM
49ers said they won't be doing anything tonight.

Brando19
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Wonder if TT is practicing the speed dial? Eh...he's probably fast asleep with his TV still on Matlock.

mission
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Wonder if TT is practicing the speed dial? Eh...he's probably fast asleep with his TV still on Matlock.

This made me "lol" ... pictured TT as Mike Sherman in that combine picture posted all the time. Hopefully we make a move!

Brando19
02-26-2009, 10:15 PM

This made me "lol" ... pictured TT as Mike Sherman in that combine picture posted all the time. Hopefully we make a move!

:lol: Except TT is at home in his bed wearing his flannel PJ's with a bottle of lotion, a box of tissues, and a picture of himself laying next to him.

Brando19
02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
PFT is saying Canty to the Skins is becoming more and more likely. Damn it.

Brando19
02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Well...I'm going to bed. It's 11:25 and I know there won't be any signings tonight in Green Bay. Good night all.

Bretsky
02-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Anybody else picture TT kicking back in his recliner watching NFL Network with a twelve pack of the cost effective Milwaukee's Best and laughing at these guys talking about free agency ?

HarveyWallbangers
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
So, the Redskins are going to get both Haynesworth and Canty? How?

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

MOST
Tampa Bay — $61 million
Kansas City — $57 million
Philadelphia — $48 million
Denver — $37 million
Green Bay — $34 million

LEAST
Carolina — $1.9 million
New England — $3.2 million
Indianapolis — $6.6 million
Pittsburgh — $7.4 million
Washington — $8.1 million

red
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
nah, i think tt has been in bed since 7:30 after having a nice glass of warm milk

Guiness
02-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Seeing Canty to Washington in a couple of places. Maybe the Haynesworth thing was a smokescreen?

Canty is at the top of a lot of FA boards, right below Haynesworth. 'boys aren't in cap trouble, how did he end up an unsigned?

Bretsky
02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
All of these teams getting profiled

Remember Wolf and Holmy ? Free Agency was a fun ride back in those days

red
02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Remember Wolf and Holmy ? Free Agency was a fun ride back in those days

yeah, but now we're grown up, and whats that word that means tight assed and boring?

oh yeah, responsible

Partial
02-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Look in the background...even Magic Johnson is checking her out!!!

hahahaha nice!

I'm 100% on the Bart Scott and Chris Canty bandwagon. We are immediately respectable. While I question Hawks' ability to some degree, I'd also like to see what he could do outside since clearly he has shown to be athletic in workouts and the combine.

SnakeLH2006
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM

my god, i'm in love

is she a free agent?

Snake's scouting reports reveal that her best position could consistently give a solid push up the middle and eventually collapse the pocket. :P

Lurker64
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
"Redskins agreed to terms with CB DeAngelo Hall on a six-year deal with a $55 million maximum value. The deal includes $23 million guaranteed."

What the hell is Snyder doing? Has he not seen Hall play recently?

SnakeLH2006
02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
"Redskins agreed to terms with CB DeAngelo Hall on a six-year deal with a $55 million maximum value. The deal includes $23 million guaranteed."

Wow, Big Bad Dan has lost it. Must know that 2010 is uncapped as that dude was worthless last year by many NFL scouts eyes. Never liked D. Hall anyway....way overrated, gambled too much, didn't make enough plays to make his team better. Woodson is a Kenny Rogers type...knows when to gamble and fold 'em. D. Hall is all hype. How is Washington gonna handle all that gangsta shit in DC with him and Hayneworth?

Snake has it on good rapport with Joe Arrigo that they have hired several top notch prison guards to oversee a "safe" practice environment in 2009 in Washington.

Bretsky
02-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Remember Hall went to play for the Skins after Oakland and actually looked pretty good with the Skins

Rastak
02-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Haynesworth to the Skins for the exact amout of money speculated on.

What a shock.

Fritz
02-27-2009, 05:34 AM

my god, i'm in love

is she a free agent?

What a fine looking woman. Such impressive hooters.

Free agency? Wha-?

Fritz
02-27-2009, 05:37 AM

And you guys are all ripping on TT for not doing anything.

Can't say that about big bad Dan. He's doing....something. What the hell that is, know one knows.

packrulz
02-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Here's a list by position, there's some good NTs, LBs, & CBs TT should check out: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ef3860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Fritz
02-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey, what about Tank Johnson?

Wonder if he's got anything left...in the tank.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
After franchise tags and resignings, anybody else feel the FA list leaves a lot to be desired?

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40410037.html

Brown has been a decent starter for Houston, and played under Dom.

Curtis is a pretty good backup.

Not so high on Nap Harris.

Partial
02-27-2009, 07:20 AM
I like Tony Curtis as I believe the Packers need to get some more size if they want to have a dominant running game.

cpk1994
02-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey, what about Tank Johnson?

Wonder if he's got anything left...in the tank.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/While on the subject, are their any firing ranges in GB?

Bretsky
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
After franchise tags and resignings, anybody else feel the FA list leaves a lot to be desired?

I still like Rocky Bernard; Vilma would be intriguiging. It seems like yesterday in your two of TT's reign when I posted that top 100 FA list and we were crossing them off as they were signed.........poll'd about how many TTT would get. Too funny looking back at it

I'll be happy with a role player or two; that's about all I expect if even that

Plenty of guys that could help us more.

Fritz
02-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I like Tony Curtis as I believe the Packers need to get some more size if they want to have a dominant running game.

I like Tony Curtis, too. He was great in Some Like it Hot.

Patler
02-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Do you really think there are plenty of guys who could help that much? I'm not sure there are. There are plenty who look OK from a distance, but it seems when they get to your team they aren't much different than what you had. Mark Roman and Marquand Manual were thought to be somewhat better than what we had. They weren't. Chiller seemed like he should be an upgrade over Poppinga. He is different than Poppinga, but does he change things much?

If you look around there are fans on other teams that think Colin Cole can be a significant improvement for them, yet most Packer fans are indifferent about him. I think many of the players we look at from other teams are simply their Colin Coles, Brandon Chillers, Mark Romans and Marquand Manuals. From a distance they look like upgrades, but in actuallity they are just different.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM

I still like Rocky Bernard; Vilma would be intriguiging. It seems like yesterday in your two of TT's reign when I posted that top 100 FA list and we were crossing them off as they were signed.........poll'd about how many TTT would get. Too funny looking back at it

Vilma has proven to be a terrible fit for the 3-4. He was awful in NY when they switched to a 3-4. He rebounded playing in NO's 4-3 this past year. The list is awful. I'm okay with not overspending on big name, old guys. Grab a few sleeper types.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
When Kerry Collins is the 2nd best QB, Maurice Morris is the 3rd best RB, Nate Washington is the 2nd best WR, Chris Kemoeatu is the best OG, a seriously injured Mark Tauscher is the 3rd best OT, Antonio Smith is the 2nd best DE, Rocky Bernard is the 2nd best DT, Jermaine Phillips is the best S, and Jabari Greer is the 3rd best CB, you know it's a weak crop. Yuck! And these guys are going to get contracts beyond what the deserve. I'd like to see Thompson dabble on some sleeper types for decent contracts, but we have too many guys needing contracts soon to go overboard. Regardless, I'm not expecting much too happen the first week or two--maybe because I don't want to be disappointed.

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't mind them going after one of the TEs though--Baker, Smith, or even Curtis. It would be good to have three decent ones.

I wouldn't mind Jon Stinchcomb at RT. Maybe Tra Thomas for a stopgap.

At DE, Olshansky.
At DT, anybody think Ron Fields is worth a look? Is he better than Colin Cole?

There are some LBs and Ss available. It's a matter of it, and whether they think Bigby is the answer in the 3-4 defense.

Not much for corners, and 1) the good ones aren't going to want to go to GB to be a backup, or 2) Harris wouldn't be happy as a nickel.

cpk1994
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Rumor has it TTT has locked himself into the closet

source
www.tankduke.com

:lol:

Sorry, bad joke

An interesting poll would be our PR expectations of TT this offseason.

I expect a backup or two to compete with the we're fine there guys we already have.

Not expecting any remote type of splash early eitherFYI, His alias at sportsbubbler is now EraofTed. ITs his thrid one. Other two were banned.

red
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
mark me down as someone that hopes to god someone is dumb enough to give us a second round pick for bigby

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Haynesworth to the Skins for the exact amout of money speculated on.

What a shock.

I wonder if this means that, for all intents and purposes, Washington is out of the bidding for Canty. I can't imagine them giving two fat contract to DTs in one offseason, particularly with their cap status. Then again, there's a reason Washington is in dire cap situation every single year...

Spaulding
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Any ideas on what the status on the Card's Antonio Smith? He looked like a beast in the playoffs and has the good size and speed for a DE in the 3-4.

Bretsky
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
mark me down as someone that hopes to god someone is dumb enough to give us a second round pick for bigby

I'd be on that wagon too; but I doubt it'll ever happen

KYPack
02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
FA seems like those basement sales in a big department stores. The good stuff goes in a few seconds, the stuff that hangs around isn't worth buying.

That Gabril Wilson from Oak(after a solid career with the Giants) went right away to Miami. They ponyed up the bread and got him right now.

Like everyone else, I really don't see much else. You'd really have to wait until after the draft. If we don't get somebody in the draft THEN you sign a Rocky Bernard type guy.

imscott72
02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I know that 2010 may be an uncapped year, but how in the hell are the Redskins going to get under the cap for this year? Weren't they roughly a million or two under? Talk about completely mortgaging the future. Snyder is fubared if they come to a CBA agreement. What a moron.

LL2
02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Day 1 of Free Agency for the Packer fan :wait: Boring!

imscott72
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

Did you expect anything different? You'll be saying the same thing exactly a week from now too.. :lol:

red
02-27-2009, 09:06 AM
alright

haynesworth is a redskin 7 years 100 million

fred taylor is a patroit

the Sage Rosenfels trade went through for the queens

and the bears signed tackle Frank Omiyale for 4 years 14 million

bart scott is in new york and is expected to sign with the jets

canty has visits lined up with the skins, then the titans, then seattle, then san fran

LL2
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Did you expect anything different? You'll be saying the same thing exactly a week from now too.. :lol:

Yup...and probably a month from now too. At least we have the #9 pick in the draft...hopefully TT strikes gold this year.

imscott72
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
alright

fred taylor is a patroit

canty has visits lined up with the skins, then the titans, then seattle, then san fran

Don't forget the Skins signed Hall for 55 mill..

imscott72
02-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Yup...and probably a month from now too. At least we have the #9 pick in the draft...hopefully TT strikes gold this year.

He'll trade down..Sorry to sound like a pessimist, but i've seen this show before..

Waldo
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I know that 2010 may be an uncapped year, but how in the hell are the Redskins going to get under the cap for this year? Weren't they roughly a million or two under? Talk about completely mortgaging the future. Snyder is fubared if they come to a CBA agreement. What a moron.

They can free a lot of space (8-9M I believe) by cutting Jason Taylor. I expect that to be announced any moment.....

If he can be had for 3-4M for a year or two, he might not be a bad option to look at. He had a great deal of success (DPOY) under Capers when they were transitioning from a Bates 4-3 to a 3-4. He's probably done as a 4-3 end, but could still have a year or two left in the tank at WOLB, precisely where we have need, to bridge the gap between the young guys on the roster or draft picks who would be learning the spot. If he gets bypassed by a young guy midway through the season, so be it, but he's capable of doing an acceptable job week 1, something that our current roster or the draft won't provide.

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 09:14 AM
He'll trade down..Sorry to sound like a pessimist, but i've seen this show before..

This year, unless Thompson is high on Raji or someone slips unexpectedly, trading down is a really good idea. I mean, you probably wouldn't want to give Maybin top 10 money or spend a top 10 pick on him, but would you spend the #17 pick on him? Absolutely.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
alright

fred taylor is a patroit

Crazy thing is they are shopping Springs because of it. he was statistically the 9th best CB in the NFL last year (success rate). I'd pull the trigger for a 3rd, but I bet they can get a 2nd for him (I doubt we'd go that high).

KYPack
02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
They can free a lot of space (8-9M I believe) by cutting Jason Taylor. I expect that to be announced any moment.....

If he can be had for 3-4M for a year or two, he might not be a bad option to look at. He had a great deal of success (DPOY) under Capers when they were transitioning from a Bates 4-3 to a 3-4. He's probably done as a 4-3 end, but could still have a year or two left in the tank at WOLB, precisely where we have need, to bridge the gap between the young guys on the roster or draft picks who would be learning the spot. If he gets bypassed by a young guy midway through the season, so be it, but he's capable of doing an acceptable job week 1, something that our current roster or the draft won't provide.

That is a great point. This is the second time Dom Capers has transitioned a Bates 4-3 to a 3-4. Goddamn, I feel better already.

I also like the idea of signing a Jason Taylor in the 'ripple phase' of FA. There are some good deals available by getting getting guys who have been shoved off roster due to other FA signings.

Was JTaylor a hands down DE or a SOLB in Miami's 3-4?

3irty1
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Springs is a top notch player but we have no need for another ancient corner.

red
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
patriots signed TE chris baker

bart scott agreed to terms with the jets

eagles have signed tackle stacy andrews

Waldo
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM

That is a great point. This is the second time Dom Capers has transitioned a Bates 4-3 to a 3-4. Goddamn, I feel better already.

I also like the idea of signing a Jason Taylor in the 'ripple phase' of FA. There are some good deals available by getting getting guys who have been shoved off roster due to other FA signings.

He was a hands up elephant OLB (WOLB) that put his hand on the ground a good amount too.

Normally I don't like signing old guys in FA, but he has value (if the price is right) if we draft to address the position, since we likely will not have a good starter for the early part of the season, he'd be a good bridge.

IMO if he wants to play another year, the allure of 3-4 OLB (takes away a lot of the run responsibilities) plus his old coach in Capers makes GB a pretty good fit for him, especially since he's light years better at rushing than Pops.

He's too old though to be effective at the POA as a 4-3 DE, which was shown repeatedly last year in Was.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
alright

fred taylor is a patroit

Crazy thing is they are shopping Springs because of it. he was statistically the 9th best CB in the NFL last year (success rate). I'd pull the trigger for a 3rd, but I bet they can get a 2nd for him (I doubt we'd go that high).

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=140231

Redskins informed CB Shawn Springs of his release.

The Skins unsurprisingly found no takers in a trade for the 34-year-old. Springs can still play, but GM Vinny Cerrato tipped his hand by immediately putting him on the block after re-signing DeAngelo Hall. At that point Springs' release had become inevitable and nobody would have given up a pick for him. Hall and Carlos Rogers will be Washington's starting corners in 2009. The Saints and old DC Gregg Williams figure to show interest in Springs. Feb. 27 - 10:49 am et
Source: Washington Post

HarveyWallbangers
02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Besides the inevitability of his release, Springs is 34-years-old, has been injury prone, and his play has been up and down throughout his career. It's not surprising somebody didn't give up much for him.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM

The second would be nice, but who would you start at SS this year? Remember, the SS is not going to be in coverage most of the time, he's going to be up in the box giving run support. So we need a hitter at SS, not a cover guy. Rouse is not a mauler like Bigby is, nor is Woodson or Peprah. We don't have a better SS on the roster. So while I'm not altogether opposed to a trade like this, I'd like to know what the plan would be if Bigby were traded away.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM

Really? I haven't. When have you seen TT trade down out of the top 10 before?

And as far as FA goes, I'd like to know who is on the market right now that is SOOOO important to sign that we need to nab him on the first day by paying him WAAAAY more than he's worth. Any names?

Spaulding
02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
The Winslow Experience in Cleveland is over as he was traded to the Bucs for an undisclosed draft choice.

Assuming it was for a 2nd or 3rd.

Partial
02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
The Winslow Experience in Cleveland is over as he was traded to the Bucs for an undisclosed draft choice.

Wow, that surprises me. Love Kellen Winslow's talent, hate his attitude.

sharpe1027
02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
The second would be nice, but who would you start at SS this year? Remember, the SS is not going to be in coverage most of the time, he's going to be up in the box giving run support. So we need a hitter at SS, not a cover guy. Rouse is not a mauler like Bigby is, nor is Woodson or Peprah. We don't have a better SS on the roster. So while I'm not altogether opposed to a trade like this, I'd like to know what the plan would be if Bigby were traded away.

Rouse has LB size and has had his fair share of big hits in limited playing time. I like him near the line of scrimmage, although he could improve his angles and general sureness in tackling. IMO, his biggest question mark is his range in coverage.

Spaulding
02-27-2009, 11:47 AM

Mark me down as an Atari 2600 fan but if they did let him go for a 2nd, I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Leonhard signed to replace him. Then again given the unknown return of Bigby to form, wouldn't mind seeing Leonard signed regardless as he seems to be virtually an Aaron Kampman but in a safety body in that he's smart, a leader, is a team player, and achieves more than anybody expects.

Fritz
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM

When I saw that, KY, I thought you'd written "nipple phase." That'd be the first three days of free agency, when fans' nipples get hard after their team signs a big-name free agent who's sure to be the key to getting to the Super Bowl...

As opposed to Green Bay, where the only reasons for perky nipples are the cold weather or the hot pictures posted in certain threads.

Guiness
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM

That team sure went through a lot because of him, I guess holding on hoping that it would all get better. I'm torn between feeling bad for them because of the way it fell out, or to think they're idiots for taking his abuse as long as they did.

Well, there goes part of TB's cap room. Only $50million more to spend.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 12:26 PM

Mark me down as an Atari 2600 fan but if they did let him go for a 2nd, I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Leonhard signed to replace him. Then again given the unknown return of Bigby to form, wouldn't mind seeing Leonard signed regardless as he seems to be virtually an Aaron Kampman but in a safety body in that he's smart, a leader, is a team player, and achieves more than anybody expects.

Absolutely agreed on Jim Leonhard. I'd absolutely love to see him in G&G, and he's one of the few players (that could be obtained for a reasonable price) that I'd rather see at SS than Bigby. Still, I'd like to have a reasonable assurance that I could get Leonhard before I trade Bigby away.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Rouse has LB size and has had his fair share of big hits in limited playing time. I like him near the line of scrimmage, although he could improve his angles and general sureness in tackling. IMO, his biggest question mark is his range in coverage.

Rouse's biggest successes in the NFL have come when in coverage - 2 INT's in spot duty a couple seasons ago, the coast to coast INT return for TD last season. His range is an issue, I agree, so I wouldn't want to leave him as a single high safety either. Honestly, I don't know if he's a great fit in this defense anywhere. He seems like a cover 2 safety to me. But I do know for sure that he's not as great a tackler as Bigby is, so I'd be hesitant to trade Bigby away if Rouse is the full time replacement.

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 12:40 PM

At $8 million per year for five, no less. I like Scott and all, but that's a lot of money for a LB.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 12:46 PM

At $8 million per year for five, no less. I like Scott and all, but that's a lot of money for a LB.

Where did the Jets come up with money to play around in FA this year? I thought they were pretty close to the cap even after Favre was off the books. Who'd they release to clear 8 million in space for this guy?

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Where did the Jets come up with money to play around in FA this year? I thought they were pretty close to the cap even after Favre was off the books. Who'd they release to clear 8 million in space for this guy?

Coles, I'm guessing.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Laveranues Coles (WR), Chris Baker (TE), and Brandon Moore (OG), 3 starters that gave them over 20M in space. Pretty much making moves for the sake of make moves IMO.

KYPack
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Rouse's biggest successes in the NFL have come when in coverage - 2 INT's in spot duty a couple seasons ago, the coast to coast INT return for TD last season. His range is an issue, I agree, so I wouldn't want to leave him as a single high safety either. Honestly, I don't know if he's a great fit in this defense anywhere. He seems like a cover 2 safety to me. But I do know for sure that he's not as great a tackler as Bigby is, so I'd be hesitant to trade Bigby away if Rouse is the full time replacement.

No Gun, I think this D is right for both Bigby and Rouse.

Capers likes a high and low Safety. Collins is the back guy and those two torpedo artists could play up. Closer to the box and less deep responsibility. I think it's perfect for those two guys.

One thing does worry me. The coverage behind a zone blitz is real shifty. There are lanes and to get cover you have to be clever and shade your coverage. Subtle and sophisticated coverage don't seem to those boys strong suit.

I don't think we have a Troy Polamalu (SP? I took a stab at it, anyway) in the house who can line up on the LOS and then cover a guy deep. That can be trouble for us.

Freak Out
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Damn...Winslow was just traded to the Bucs.

Guiness
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
DeAngelo Hall got $23 million in guaranteed money. I'm speechless.

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 01:00 PM

I'm less surprised by the deal Hall got from the Skins and more gobsmacked by the fact that Dan Synder appears to just be incapable of learning from his mistakes.

Zool
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM

I'm less surprised by the deal Hall got from the Skins and more gobsmacked by the fact that Dan Synder appears to just be incapable of learning from his mistakes.

Yeah really, where is Fred Smoot anyways?

Guiness
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Laveranues Coles (WR), Chris Baker (TE), and Brandon Moore (OG), 3 starters that gave them over 20M in space. Pretty much making moves for the sake of make moves IMO.

Remember the National Change Bank (SNL skit)?
"Bring us 4 quarters, and we'll give you a dollar!!! How do we make money? Volume!!!

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM

I don't really get this trade. Tampa seems to be in full rebuilding mode, after cutting the bulk of their veterans, why would they give up picks for a malcontent?

Packnut
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Lot's of money flying around. The AH deal is totally freakin insane. It's interesting to watch other team's strategies with free agency. The Jets made a good deal for Scott. He's worth that kind of cash.

One thing to remember in all this is the fact it's not like owners are borrowing to come up with this kind of cash. They are making a ton of green so why not spend? The cap goes up every year so the old ways of thinking are pretty much obsolete.

Spending that kind of cash does put a ton of pressure though on the GM to be right who he signs. Our guy does'nt have that pressure cause when you don't play, you don't pay! :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Winslow would have looked nice in G&G.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Vrabel was traded to the Chiefs.

KYPack
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Looks like Vrabel will move from NE to the KC Chiefs.

The new GM (Pioli) wants some vets he can trust.

sharpe1027
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM

I like Bibgy better too. I think, though, that they could both benefit from the change. I like the idea of Rouse attacking the LoS and dropping into short-zone coverage a heck of a lot more than having him 20+ yards off the LoS responsible for covering half the field.

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Apparently Bart Scott gave the Ravens a chance to match the Jets $40 million/5 year deal, and the Ravens are now offering him $42 million/5 years, and Scott is waiting on assurances that he can be the "Centerpiece" of the new defense in Baltimore (taking Lewis's spot, presumably.)

3irty1
02-27-2009, 02:34 PM

That was Rouse with the coast to coast TD last year not Bigby.

gbgary
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM

arrod needs more weapons, that's for sure.

imscott72
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM

And as far as FA goes, I'd like to know who is on the market right now that is SOOOO important to sign that we need to nab him on the first day by paying him WAAAAY more than he's worth. Any names?

Lots of options at the 9 spot. Guys like Vontae Davis, B.J. Raji, and Everette Brown would be nice additions.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2009, 03:46 PM

I know we need more on defense, but if you have a chance to get a young game changing Te you go for it. It's hard to find an elite TE.

If we had Driver, jennings on the outside with Wislow at TE that would be crazy. The rest of the draft could be for defense and offensive linemen.

sharpe1027
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM

Lots of options at the 9 spot. Guys like Vontae Davis, B.J. Raji, and Everette Brown would be nice additions.

I think the point was the only other top-ten pick TT had didn't trade down. In fact, he has only traded his top pick once, and it was to move down from 30 to 36. So, cheer up, no need to be so pessimistic.

Also, he was asking about a list of free agents, not possible draft picks.

imscott72
02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Looks like Vrabel will move from NE to the KC Chiefs.

The new GM (Pioli) wants some vets he can trust.

Patriots beat writer Mike Reiss wonders if Mike Vrabel's trade could be part of a larger deal including Matt Cassel.
Now that would be a doozy. Reiss is one of the most well-respected beat writers in the country, and is usually very cautious to publish anything resembling speculation. He rightly points out that we have no idea what the compensation in the Vrabel trade is.
Source: Boston Globe

imscott72
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM

I think the point was the only other top-ten pick TT had didn't trade down. In fact, he has only traded his top pick once, and it was to move down from 30 to 36. So, cheer up, no need to be so pessimistic.

Also, he was asking about a list of free agents, not possible draft picks.

Yes now that I re-read his post he was asking about FA's, but my previous post had nothing to do with FA's. I was discussing draft position.

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Jesús Christo, Bart Scott is now back with the Jets (again) once they upped the deal to 6 years $48 million.

LL2
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Jesús Christo, Bart Scott is now back with the Jets (again) once they upped the deal to 6 years $48 million.

Looks like he's playing his cards right.

packers11
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Looks like he's playing his cards right.

It says he agreed to join the Jets... I guess he didn't give the Ravens a chance to match that offer or the Ravens didn't want to pay him that much...

That LB'ing core is falling apart...

They still have the best one though (T-Sizzle)

Guiness
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM

I know we need more on defense, but if you have a chance to get a young game changing Te you go for it. It's hard to find an elite TE.

If we had Driver, jennings on the outside with Wislow at TE that would be crazy. The rest of the draft could be for defense and offensive linemen.

*cough* Gonzo *cough*

(lots left in the tank, and a lot cheaper)

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
*cough* Gonzo *cough*

(lots left in the tank, and a lot cheaper)

Finley also has a ton of unrealized potential. The kid is immature, raw, and as green as seasick grass, but he has a shot at being great.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah Finley is physically as talented as any TE that has come out since Vernon.

Kid really has no ceiling, he applies himself there is nothing stopping him form being the best TE in the NFL.

One year of practically no production is what you get when you draft a redshirt sophomore.

We take Maybin in the draft, it'll be the same way.

imscott72
02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Vikes retain Kleinsasser..

TWO YEARS, $6 MILLION FOR KLEINSASSER
Posted by Mike Florio: Friday, February 27, 2009 7:54 PM
Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the contract between the Vikings and tight end Jim Kleinsasser is for $6 million over two years.

Kleinsasser opted to stay in Minnesota despite interest from a half-dozen teams.

“I love it here. I love the people,” he said. “My family is close. And I think to stay here, with one team, throughout your career is great.”

Kleinsasser was a second-round pick ten years ago.

Rastak
02-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the contract between the Vikings and tight end Jim Kleinsasser is for $6 million over two years.

Kleinsasser opted to stay in Minnesota despite interest from a half-dozen teams.

“I love it here. I love the people,” he said. “My family is close. And I think to stay here, with one team, throughout your career is great.”

* whew *

That was a close one. He's a great blocking tight end and a big part of the run game. I thought he was gone for sure.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 07:13 PM

* whew *

That was a close one. He's a great blocking tight end and a big part of the run game. I thought he was gone for sure.

Congrats man. Jimmy K. is one of those team player role players that every team loves to have a couple of. Not the greatest players, but good in their own right and fan favorites.

Since Hendo left we're kinda lacking in one. Everybody hates all of ours (Lee, Spitz, Poppinga).

Joemailman
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM

Kid really has no ceiling, he applies himself there is nothing stopping him form being the best TE in the NFL.

One year of practically no production is what you get when you draft a redshirt sophomore.

Finley looked pretty lean to me last year, not unusual for a guy coming out of school early. He's listed at 6-5, 247. Wouldn't mind seeing him bulk up into the 255 range. He might have to if he wants to be more than a situational TE.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Finley looked pretty lean to me last year, not unusual for a guy coming out of school early. He's listed at 6-5, 247. Wouldn't mind seeing him bulk up into the 255 range. He might have to if he wants to be more than a situational TE.

One of his drawbacks. He was very young, but has a great frame, very good speed, and great change of direction ability.

We basically took a kid whose body told our scouts was going to be a stud once he fills out.

Plus his hands were unworldy for a TE.

I bet MM is targeting 265 for him. That's a good range for a versatile speed TE his size.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Report: Jets working on Lito Sheppard trade

The Jets are reportedly working on a trade for CB Lito Sheppard.

Sheppard is expected to visit Jets headquarters Saturday, so the sides have obviously made progress in talks. With one year and $3 million remaining on his contract, Shepphard would fill in the void opposite Darrelle Revis with free agent Corey Ivy potentially acting as the nickel back. Feb. 27 - 7:48 pm et
Source: New York Daily News

red
02-27-2009, 09:15 PM
the real numbers have come out for the fat albert deal

he will never get 100 or 115 million

chris mortesen says its really a 4 year deal worth 48 million. in the 5th year the team would have to pay him 29 million bucks. thats when he'll be released

so its not a 7 year 100 million dollar deal, ins a 4 year 48 million dollar deal. the rest of the numbers are just there to stroke the players, and agents egos

Brando19
02-27-2009, 09:18 PM

chris mortesen says its really a 4 year deal worth 48 million. in the 5th year the team would have to pay him 29 million bucks. thats when he'll be released

so its not a 7 year 100 million dollar deal, ins a 4 year 48 million dollar deal. the rest of the numbers are just there to stroke the players, and agents egos

Damn them all to hell! How will he be able to buy groceries in year 5????

Rastak
02-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Keep in mind the real shocker is 41 of 48 is his no matter what.

red
02-27-2009, 09:34 PM

Keep in mind the real shocker is 41 of 48 is his no matter what.

thats scary knowing how he can be a total turd

i will be laughing hardest when he decides to dog it now and turns into a locker room cancer with the skins having no way to cut him

Fritz
02-28-2009, 06:40 AM
He may n ot be sitting in front of a pile of blow with three hookers, but I bet he's shoveling some cheeseburgers down and shopping for a couple of new Bentleys.

packrulz
02-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I like Bryant McFadden, CB, Steelers a lot, he's only 27 and in his 4th year, he would be expensive but he would be a nice replacement for Harris or Woodson. http://www.nfl.com/players/bryantmcfadden/profile?id=MCF082537
I would also love to have Derrick Ward, RB, Giants to pound the ball with Grant. Rocky Bernard, DT, Seahawks would be fine to platoon with Pickett.

bigcoz75
02-28-2009, 08:12 AM
The Redskins keep going.

The Redskins have agreed to terms with free-agent guard Derrick Dockery. The agreement is for five years and is worth slightly less than $27 million with $8.5 million guaranteed and $11.5 million paid over the first two years

Buffalo and Detroit had agreed to a trade Thursday with Detroit willing to pick up the rest of Dockery’s 7-year, $49 million contract and to guarantee the 2009 and 2010 portions of that deal. However, the Bills failed to file the necessary paperwork with the NFL Management Council by the 4 p.m. dealine, according to a league source, and, rather than pay Dockery $4.5 million for this year, the Bills allowed him to become a free agent.

The Lions were still willing to pick up the remainder of the deal with the two guaranteed years and Dockery, who spent today in Detroit, was close to accepting their deal. However, tonight he decided to take the Skins’ deal, which will pay im $3.5 million less over the duraton of the deal.

Oddly, because of the way the Skins deal is structured, he’ll make more in ‘09 and ‘10 than he would have in Detroit. With this new deal, Dockery will have pocketed $27 million in guaranteed money over three years, making him among the highest-paid linemen in the league over that span.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/skins-continue-spending-spree/

imscott72
02-28-2009, 09:23 AM
The Bucs are reportedly in discussions with free agent DT Colin Cole.
The 6-1, 330-pounder was expected to attract plenty of attention on the free agent market with so many teams switching to a 3-4 defense. Though the Bucs aren't going 3-4, the run-stuffer would be a good fit as an interior lineman in Jim Bates' new defense.
Source: St. Petersburg Times

KYPack
02-28-2009, 09:24 AM

One of his drawbacks. He was very young, but has a great frame, very good speed, and great change of direction ability.

We basically took a kid whose body told our scouts was going to be a stud once he fills out.

Plus his hands were unworldy for a TE.

I bet MM is targeting 265 for him. That's a good range for a versatile speed TE his size.

Another 20 pounds for Finley should happen. That kid is a helluva athlete. He's still growing like a weed. Finley added 40 pounds when he was a freshman. He committed to going to Arizona on both a basketball AND a football scholarship.

Once he committed to Texas football, he hit the gym and grew into a great TE propect.

He's like a spring colt. Still growing into his body.

imscott72
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
The Redskins keep going.

The Redskins have agreed to terms with free-agent guard Derrick Dockery. The agreement is for five years and is worth slightly less than $27 million with $8.5 million guaranteed and $11.5 million paid over the first two years

Buffalo and Detroit had agreed to a trade Thursday with Detroit willing to pick up the rest of Dockery’s 7-year, $49 million contract and to guarantee the 2009 and 2010 portions of that deal. However, the Bills failed to file the necessary paperwork with the NFL Management Council by the 4 p.m. dealine, according to a league source, and, rather than pay Dockery $4.5 million for this year, the Bills allowed him to become a free agent.

The Lions were still willing to pick up the remainder of the deal with the two guaranteed years and Dockery, who spent today in Detroit, was close to accepting their deal. However, tonight he decided to take the Skins’ deal, which will pay im $3.5 million less over the duraton of the deal.

Oddly, because of the way the Skins deal is structured, he’ll make more in ‘09 and ‘10 than he would have in Detroit. With this new deal, Dockery will have pocketed $27 million in guaranteed money over three years, making him among the highest-paid linemen in the league over that span.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/skins-continue-spending-spree/

I still don't know how the Skins can get under the cap this year, but I'm no cap expert.

bobblehead
02-28-2009, 09:29 AM
I think the jump ball fade to the corner to finley is going to be a staple of our red zone offense for years to come...hopefully starting this year.

hoosier
02-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Judging from last year it seems like Finley still had a long way to go before he was ready to become a regular contributor on offense. He can be the greatest athlete since Jim Thorpe, but if he can't learn the playbook to the point where his role in it becomes intuitive, then he's not going to be much good to the Packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Jason Brown agrees in principle with Rams

John Clayton is confirming a Miami Herald report that C/G Jason Brown has agreed to terms with the Rams on a five-year contract.

Brown was hoping the Ravens would match the Rams offer, but it's believed that they were $1-2 million per year short. The best interior lineman available, Brown did not visit with any other teams. We'll wait for contract terms before confirming that it's an official signing. Feb. 27 - 8:57 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

Report: Jets, Eagles agree on Sheppard trade

The Jets and Eagles have agreed to a trade that will send a 2009 fifth-round pick and a 2010 conditional pick to the Eagles for CB Lito Sheppard.

The 2010 pick could be anywhere between a second and fourth-round pick, presumably depending on Sheppard's playing time. The price is too big for our tastes, but Sheppard would fill a big void opposite Darrelle Revis. We give the Eagles a lot of credit for holding on to Sheppard last year and getting this excellent value. Feb. 27 - 8:52 pm et

Guiness
02-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I still don't know how the Skins can get under the cap this year, but I'm no cap expert.

I'm stunned that they can pull it off too, and was thinking it will be interesting to see who gets punted, because if they start cutting, there should be some Shinola mixed in with the shit. So far Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington and Phillip Daniels.

They also restructured Cornelius Griffin, Chris Samuels, Antwaan Randle El and Andre Carter.

pittstang5
02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyone surprised that TJ "Who's your mama" is still out there. I really thought he'd go fast - probably to Seattle.

To me, looks like alot of teams are going after defensive players first. Haven't seen too many offensive players, excpet for a couple linemen here and there getting signed.

Rastak
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Anyone surprised that TJ "Who's your mama" is still out there. I really thought he'd go fast - probably to Seattle.

To me, looks like alot of teams are going after defensive players first. Haven't seen too many offensive players, excpet for a couple linemen here and there getting signed.

He's on his way to Minnesota now for a visit per Saint Paul Pioneer Press.

10 mil ayear is what he wants and that's pretty pricey for a guy his age.

He's got at least a couple of good years left though so he'd be a damn good signing for somebody.

Gunakor
02-28-2009, 03:08 PM

That was Rouse with the coast to coast TD last year not Bigby.

Reread my post. That's exactly what I said.

KYPack
02-28-2009, 03:37 PM

He's on his way to Minnesota now for a visit per Saint Paul Pioneer Press.

10 mil ayear is what he wants and that's pretty pricey for a guy his age.

He's got at least a couple of good years left though so he'd be a damn good signing for somebody.

The rumor mill around here says he definitely wants to go to the NFC.
Philly seems to be his first choice if they get close on money.
If he goes to the Vikes, you'll love him. He's old school tough.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Cowboys acquire Kitna from Lions

Cowboys acquired QB Jon Kitna from the Lions in exchange for DB Anthony Henry.

The Lions did well to get Henry for a player they were set to release. The move also makes sense for Dallas because the system and terminology is similar to the one Mike Martz used, and he's better than the veteran backups on the open market. Kitna could put up solid numbers if he's forced to play. Feb. 28 - 3:09 pm et

SnakeLH2006
02-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Springs is a top notch player but we have no need for another ancient corner.

Snake remembers his frosh college days playing Madden with buds and raping the trades to get the top young 1st rounders with speed like Springs on his team. That dude is still around? Kinda like I used to trade for Freddy Taylor and Joey Galloway for garbage to field the all-Rookie Franchise team.

BTW, Snake still pwns on Madden. Hit me up for my Xbox tag.

As far as Bretsky's post, I do agree...one man's garbage is another man's treasure till they realize he's not all that. Good point as Manuel, Chillar...and now Cole (who wants that shit...c'mon!!!) are gonna/and do get paid to switch teams as role players. I hope if we can't get Canty, as it looks bleak, TT folds FA and goes for gold in the draft as we need the $30 million to resign our own guys anyway. Relax dudes, we'll spend the money on Packer deals anyway, but could use a new OT and a DL or 2, as we could only hope for 1 legit starter in the draft, though.

Lurker64
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
\I hope if we can't get Canty, as it looks bleak, TT folds FA and goes for gold in the draft as we need the $30 million to resign our own guys anyway.

I think that if we miss out on Canty (like I think we will), it would still definitely behoove the Packers to go after Olshansky. After Olshansky is gone though, feel free to pack it up unless there's just some obscure player with a chance at greatness out there I've just never heard of. It's possible, since Thompson does do a pretty good job picking through the scrap heaps.

Waldo
02-28-2009, 11:45 PM
\I hope if we can't get Canty, as it looks bleak, TT folds FA and goes for gold in the draft as we need the $30 million to resign our own guys anyway.

I think that if we miss out on Canty (like I think we will), it would still definitely behoove the Packers to go after Olshansky. After Olshansky is gone though, feel free to pack it up unless there's just some obscure player with a chance at greatness out there I've just never heard of. It's possible, since Thompson does do a pretty good job picking through the scrap heaps.

Jovan Haye. DT from the Bucs. Had a productive '07, bad '08, played on a torn groin all year. Undersized for Bates. (6'2", 285). 34" arms. He's a decent solution at DE.

I wouldn't be so sure about Canty. He's passed on the Giants according to one of the papers, and his agent is using us to bump up Seattle's offer, which doesn't appear to be very good. TT can get him if he want's to, all he has to do is have a plane on the way (to force a quick decision) and beat Seattle's offer at first light tomorrow. That is if the price hasn't gone up overnight from Seattle blinking.

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Jovan Haye. DT from the Bucs. Had a productive '07, bad '08, played on a torn groin all year. Undersized for Bates. (6'2", 285). 34" arms. He's a decent solution at DE.

I wouldn't be so sure about Canty. He's passed on the Giants according to one of the papers, and his agent is using us to bump up Seattle's offer, which doesn't appear to be very good. TT can get him if he want's to, all he has to do is have a plane on the way (to force a quick decision) and beat Seattle's offer at first light tomorrow. That is if the price hasn't gone up overnight from Seattle blinking.

Do you feel TTT could operate with the sense of urgency that you are describing above ? To me he's always been more wait and see rather than go and make it happen

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Giants sign Rocky Bernard; good siging for them

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Giants sign Rocky Bernard; good siging for them

Giants agreed to terms with DT Rocky Bernard on a four-year, $16 million contract.

Bernard, 30, is a pocket pusher whose play has declined since a nine-sack 2005 season, but he should be effective in a "wave" role behind starters Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield. He won't be a three-down player. Bernard showed he can still produce by posting a career-best 55 tackles in 2008. Mar. 1 - 1:44 am et

Pretty low contract

Fritz
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Does this up Canty's price, or does it just eliminate the Giants as a contender, leaving Seattle and maybe Tampa and San Fran?

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Does this up Canty's price, or does it just eliminate the Giants as a contender, leaving Seattle and maybe Tampa and San Fran?

It certainly does not hurt Canty.

I'd have been fine paying Bernard that money; we need another starting caliber DL......not named Colin Cole...

The Giants new GM puts great value on DL; it would not surprise me if they still take a shot at Canty. But I doubt they are the one to close the deal because they'll be more conservative with their cash.

mission
03-01-2009, 01:14 PM

It certainly does not hurt Canty.

I'd have been fine paying Bernard that money; we need another starting caliber DL......not named Colin Cole...

The Giants new GM puts great value on DL; it would not surprise me if they still take a shot at Canty. But I doubt they are the one to close the deal because they'll be more conservative with their cash.

It means they'd have 7 guys vying for 4 legitimate spots ... that's a TON of money tied up in the Dline and honestly a pretty scary situation for opponents. I don't think it will happen, especially after reading this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/

Partial
03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I had a dream that we signed Olshansky.

Joemailman
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Saints interested in Tomlinson? http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/sources-saints-interested-in-lt/

Orlovsky signs with Texans.

mission
03-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Orlovsky signs with Texans.

Didn't he get somethin like 3 mil a year... to back up.. sheesh.

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 02:16 PM
It's funny how the Seahawks basically replaced Bernard with Cole. That's a huge downgrade. I mean, the 'Hawks need size in the front 7 since they're tiny, but still...

Rastak
03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._J._Houshmandzadeh

Patler
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
It's funny how the Seahawks basically replaced Bernard with Cole. That's a huge downgrade. I mean, the 'Hawks need size in the front 7 since they're tiny, but still...

That's what I was just thinking. And if the Packers replace Cole with Canty, they will have made a significant upgrade.

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Odd how I'm not seeing that anywhere else.

Oh, looking at page revisions, looks like he's also currently a member of the Detroit Lions and the Seattle Seahawks. Looks like an edit war. There's probably an Eagles and Bucs one in there too somewhere, but I think the "this article is locked for anonymous editing" arrow landed on the Purple.

packers11
03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh reiterated via text message to the Cincinnati Enquirer that he expects to sign with a team by tonight.

Housh, who's still in Minnesota and presumably negotiating a contract, is targeting "Sunday evening" to announce his new home. The Bengals have an offer on the table. Houshmandzadeh made his first visit to Seattle and could still meet with Tampa or Philadelphia early this week if he stays unsigned.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Rastak
03-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Odd how I'm not seeing that anywhere else.

Oh, looking at page revisions, looks like he's also currently a member of the Detroit Lions and the Seattle Seahawks. Looks like an edit war. There's probably an Eagles and Bucs one in there too somewhere, but I think the "this article is locked for anonymous editing" arrow landed on the Purple.

Yup, I thought that was funny....good ole wikipedia.

I think the Vikes do have a pretty chance to get it done though.

Rastak
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Latest from the Red Star......

Word nears?
March 1st, 2009 – 4:14 PM by Judd Zulgad

The limo that brought free agent wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to Winter Park just departed. Houshmandzadeh spent the late morning and the afternoon meeting with the Vikings and it appears he is staying in town at this point. In other words, the car IS NOT headed right down 494 and toward the airport. Keep hitting refresh and we’ll do our best to keep you updated.

KYPack
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Word nears?

The limo that brought free agent wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to Winter Park just departed. Houshmandzadeh spent the late morning and the afternoon meeting with the Vikings and it appears he is staying in town at this point. In other words, the car IS NOT headed right down 494 and toward the airport. Keep hitting refresh and we’ll do our best to keep you updated.

Yer like a teenage boy in heat, Ras.

Rastak
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Word nears?

Yer like a teenage boy in heat, Ras.

I will admit they could use a guy like him.

mission
03-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm all for banning Ras if he keeps posting free agency good news for the Vikes ...

Just kidding (kinda)

:D

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Report: Vikes intent on inking Houshmandzadeh

The Vikings are reportedly intent on not letting free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh leave their Winter Park facility unsigned.

Minnesota is expected to only propose a short-term deal, however, due to concerns about Houshmandzadeh's age. The Vikes also already have $49M tied up in Bernard Berrian. Still, with Housh planning to sign somewhere by Sunday evening, this union may be imminent. We're guessing he'd get a three-year deal worth $8-9 million annually and $10 million guaranteed. Mar. 1 - 3:58 pm et

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Ras has a big ol' boner right about now.

Rastak
03-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Ras has a big ol' boner right about now.

I sure do, plus the football stuff is also good. :wink:

Vikes WR corps wasn't as bad as most here seemed to imply but there's no question "whose your mama" would help a great deal over the next couple of years.

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
OOH, RAS!

You bad boy, you. I bet you got a pair of Viking horns that the wife asks you to pull out when she's feeling naughty...

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
With your mama, Rice, and Berrian the Vikes offense is getting a lot better. If I was the Vikings I would be doing everything I could to land Culter. Even if that means two first round picks.

red
03-01-2009, 06:37 PM
With your mama, Rice, and Berrian the Vikes offense is getting a lot better. If I was the Vikings I would be doing everything I could to land Culter. Even if that means two first round picks.

they can probably get him for cheaper then that

but the queens do look good if they sign housh, even if it's just sage throwing to them. they would be much better then they were last year

hey ras, hows the o-line look if birk leaves?

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM

That's what I was just thinking. And if the Packers replace Cole with Canty, they will have made a significant upgrade.

I'lll ask you the same thing that I asked Waldo

Do you think TTT can close a deal and beat out mulitiple suitors ??

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Free Agency can be exciting for some teams fans :!:

Rastak
03-01-2009, 08:22 PM

they can probably get him for cheaper then that

but the queens do look good if they sign housh, even if it's just sage throwing to them. they would be much better then they were last year

hey ras, hows the o-line look if birk leaves?

Kinda shakey I would guess. Sullivan and Cook. They could draft a guy I guess but I think bringing Birk back makes the most sense.

The Shadow

Yeah, think of all the teams in past years who went nuts and set themselves back by years.
Exciting.

Lurker64

Pretty boring so far for fans of teams like the Eagles, Steelers, Patriots, Colts and Chargers though...

Waldo
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Yeah, think of all the teams in past years who went nuts and set themselves back by years.
Exciting.

I wonder how Denver is going to make it out of this. They've been gobbling 'em up left and right and have managed to alienate their QB.

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM

Exciting.

Wolf and Holmgren......those days were exciting in FA

Fritz
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
True enough, Bretsky. I do think free agency can be a good tool.

My favorite signing was Sean Jones. I think he was underrated as a player. Seems like in those days, the sack was THE statistic. Now we talk more about "pressures" as well, and I believe Jones excelled in that area.

packers11
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Updating a previous item, T.J. Houshmandzadeh left Minnesota last night and flew home to Los Angeles.
There goes the Vikes' momentum. Letting Housh get out of town without a contract likely means they are no longer the front-runner to get him signed.

The Bengals, Vikes, and Seahawks are the three teams in the derby right now. Housh could visit the Bucs this week, but they appear to be low-balling everyone for a second straight offseason and probably won't meet his contract wishes.

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

The Vikings reportedly have interest in free agent RT Mark Tauscher.
The Vikes have identified right tackle as their biggest need after getting

Sage Rosenfels and courting T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Tauscher is coming off late-season ACL surgery, but he's expected to be ready by training camp.

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

Rastak
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds like the Bengals are offering up some serious coin. I am guessing he resigns there. He's 32, so a 40-50 million dollar deal is just too much.

As for Tauscher, I think he'd be a good fit if his knee is progressing well.

Fritz
03-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Ah, the Vikes. Really they do seem to have that little-brother mentality. They always want your old girlfriend.

retailguy
03-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Ah, the Vikes. Really they do seem to have that little-brother mentality. They always want your old girlfriend.

They've done fairly well in recent years with our "old girlfriends".

KYPack
03-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Here ya go, Ras.

If you were goofy over Housh, you'll lose your mind over this one,

From PFT....

With Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler officially declaring that coach Josh McDaniels is no longer his “BFF,” the question becomes whether the Broncos will resume efforts to trade the disgruntled three-year pass-thrower.
Buried in an item from Mike Klis of the Denver Post is a disclosure that the Lions and the Vikings are interested in Cutler. (Presumably, the Buccaneers are still willing to talk turkey, too.)

The Lions already had been disclosed as a potentially interested team, but the Vikings are the eyebrow-raiser.

Though the Vikings already have traded for, and extended the contract of, quarterback Sage Rosenfels, a Cutler-Sage depth chart would look a lot better to Minnesota fans that the forgettable Tarvaris-Frerotte pairing of 2008 -- not to mention the nightmarish Jackson-Holcomb-Bollinger revolving door from the prior season.

The question is whether the Vikes would pull the trigger, and what it would take to get Cutler from Denver. After sending a first-round pick and two third-round picks to Kansas City for defensive end Jared Allen last year, trading away another first-round pick would undermine the team’s ability to continue its effort to develop a nucleus of solid young players.

Then again, a quarterback can play for a long time, and franchise quarterbacks like Cutler rarely are available.

Meanwhile, Rosenfels’ three-year, $9 million deal doesn’t scream out “starter money,” which would give the Vikings the ability to pay Cutler.

And since he’s under contract for at least two more years (we’re assuming that 2011 is voidable), the Vikes would have time to get a long-term deal done, and in the interim would absorb manageable base salaries of $1.03 million and $1.42 million. (That said, there could be bonuses and escalators that drive up those numbers considerably.)

The question is whether the Vikings think they need both a franchise quarterback and a franchise running back. Based on the acquisition of Rosenfels, the answer apparently is no. But with the career of coach Brad Childress hinging on what the team does in 2009, it makes sense to at least explore what it would take to pry Cutler away from the Broncos, especially at a time when Cutler is clamoring to get out.

While Rosenfels could take the Vikings to places they haven’t been in a long, long time, the chances of Cutler getting it done are considerably greater.

packers11
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Montgomery to visit Falcons
Defensive end Michael Montgomery will visit the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday in his first trip of the free-agency signing period.

The fifth-year pro’s agent, Brian Overstreet, said the Packers have expressed interest in re-signing Montgomery also, though Montgomery is a ‘tweener for the 3-4 defense. At 6-feet-5 and 273 pounds, he has excellent height for a 3-4 defensive end but lacks the bulk – 3-4 teams want their ends to be at minimum 290 pounds and generally prefer 300 to 310 pounders. He’s also not agile enough to play in space at outside linebacker in the 3-4.

The Packers appear to be waiting to see what the market is for Montgomery before deciding whether to try to re-sign him. Overstreet said he met with Packers officials at the NFL scouting combine in late February.

“They have shown some interest in him playing in the 3-4,” Overstreet said. “But with this being his second deal, we want to make sure that’s the best scenario for him.”

-- Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypress-gazette.com

Fritz
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Here ya go, Ras.

If you were goofy over Housh, you'll lose your mind over this one,

From PFT....

With Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler officially declaring that coach Josh McDaniels is no longer his “BFF,” the question becomes whether the Broncos will resume efforts to trade the disgruntled three-year pass-thrower.
Buried in an item from Mike Klis of the Denver Post is a disclosure that the Lions and the Vikings are interested in Cutler. (Presumably, the Buccaneers are still willing to talk turkey, too.)

The Lions already had been disclosed as a potentially interested team, but the Vikings are the eyebrow-raiser.

Though the Vikings already have traded for, and extended the contract of, quarterback Sage Rosenfels, a Cutler-Sage depth chart would look a lot better to Minnesota fans that the forgettable Tarvaris-Frerotte pairing of 2008 -- not to mention the nightmarish Jackson-Holcomb-Bollinger revolving door from the prior season.

The question is whether the Vikes would pull the trigger, and what it would take to get Cutler from Denver. After sending a first-round pick and two third-round picks to Kansas City for defensive end Jared Allen last year, trading away another first-round pick would undermine the team’s ability to continue its effort to develop a nucleus of solid young players.

Then again, a quarterback can play for a long time, and franchise quarterbacks like Cutler rarely are available.

Meanwhile, Rosenfels’ three-year, $9 million deal doesn’t scream out “starter money,” which would give the Vikings the ability to pay Cutler.

And since he’s under contract for at least two more years (we’re assuming that 2011 is voidable), the Vikes would have time to get a long-term deal done, and in the interim would absorb manageable base salaries of $1.03 million and $1.42 million. (That said, there could be bonuses and escalators that drive up those numbers considerably.)

The question is whether the Vikings think they need both a franchise quarterback and a franchise running back. Based on the acquisition of Rosenfels, the answer apparently is no. But with the career of coach Brad Childress hinging on what the team does in 2009, it makes sense to at least explore what it would take to pry Cutler away from the Broncos, especially at a time when Cutler is clamoring to get out.

While Rosenfels could take the Vikings to places they haven’t been in a long, long time, the chances of Cutler getting it done are considerably greater.

Hey, listen, I hear Ras: "Boingggg!!!!"

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Free agent T.J. Houshmandzadeh will sign a multi-year deal with the Seahawks, according to the National Football Post.

Seattle was offering at least $2M more than both the Vikings and Bengals. The 'Hawks were also desperate for a durable wideout. Housh was a flanker in Cincinnati and that's Deion Branch's position in Seattle. Branch could now be moved to the slot or cut, as it was rumored he might be in the winter. Mar. 2 - 5:45 pm et

To bad Ras. I hope the vikes don't get Cutler.

vince
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
That could be bad for us in the Raji sweepstakes.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Brett Favre-QB- Jets Mar. 2 - 2:44 pm et

Brett Favre revealed that he nearly became a Tampa Bay Buccaneer last offseason.

"I had basically committed to Tampa," he said. "It was a perfect fit, based on the offense. (Jon) Gruden and I had worked together in Green Bay. I knew nothing about the Jets' offense." Favre added that the Packers traded him without OK'ing the deal. Asked if/when he'll get the "itch" to play again, Favre admitted, "I just don't know if it's worth a try. But there will be a day, I'm sure, when I feel like I could play 291 more (games)."Source: Orlando Sentinel

And so it begins.........

Freak Out
03-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Favre admitted, "I just don't know if it's worth a try. But there will be a day, I'm sure, when I feel like I could play 291 more games"

:lol: :lol:

Fred's Slacks
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM

How is that, Vince? I think I'm missing something.

mission
03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

We were thinking/hoping Crabtree would go to Seattle but now it's more doubtful.

Fred's Slacks
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM

We were thinking/hoping Crabtree would go to Seattle but now it's more doubtful.

Ah yes. Thanks for clearing that up.

mission
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Can't speak for homeboy but that was my take on it :)

Waldo
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM

They could use an OT too though, and an OT would be less of a reach.

I don't know how the Raji hype machine has grown so far out of control, he's no better of a prospect than Vince or Casey were, both of them went around #20. Haloti was a better prospect, and he went #12.

The top level talent in this draft sucks. If Raji is a top 5 pick, and he's no better than a #20 pick in years past, that is terrible.

red
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
if raji is gone i think we should try and drop back just a few spots and try and grab tyson jackson

then maybe hope ron brace is there in the second, or try and get sammie lee hill in the third

we really need help on the d-line, and now option c has signed with the texans (javon haye)

now if we get olshanski, that would change things

Waldo
03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Maybin. He's too much like Ware to ignore.

red
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM

They could use an OT too though, and an OT would be less of a reach.

I don't know how the Raji hype machine has grown so far out of control, he's no better of a prospect than Vince or Casey were, both of them went around #20. Haloti was a better prospect, and he went #12.

The top level talent in this draft sucks. If Raji is a top 5 pick, and he's no better than a #20 pick in years past, that is terrible.

i would have loved ngata, if he was in this draft we would definatley be talking about him like we are raji right now (going high up). he was just in a draft that looked stacked at the top when it happened

red
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM

you think, i've heard nothing but crappy things about him the last few weeks, like he wouldn't be good at OLB. and it sounds like he had a very bad combine

but i've never watched him play

mission
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM

you think, i've heard nothing but crappy things about him the last few weeks, like he wouldn't be good at OLB. and it sounds like he had a very bad combine

And by Waldo's admission he's at least a year project ... I don't think we can draft a "project" in the first round but BPA could definitely dictate that.

Mazzin
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
T.J. Hous-ja-mama is now offically a Seahawk. Best of luck to him...BOO seahawks.

Waldo
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM

He ran a bad 40 at the combine (just about everyone did later in the weekend, can't ignore the effect of a new fieldturf field to run on). If he runs fast enough (sub 4.80) at his pro day, IMO he's the best OLB prospect in the draft by a good margin. For pass rushers the vert, not the 40, is the important one, for linebackers the 40/shuttle differential (change of direction speed) is more important than the 40. I've found (at least in the defensive front 7) that there is a minimum threshold for fast enough on the 40, once beyond that threshold there is little advantage to being faster unless the dude is ridiculously fast, which nobody in this draft is.

Other than the 40, the vert, the shuttle, the broad, the LB drills, he looked like one of the best. He's the most well rounded of the bunch. Orakpo is a little bit stronger and more explosive, but looked bad in the LB drills, Brown looked the best in the LB drills but has zero explosion, Maybin was just below Orakpo in the explosion drills and just below Brown in the LB drills, and has a better frame than both of them.

Barwin overall had the best combine for OLB, but he's a few years away from being a reliable contributor, having only played 1 season of defensive football at a high level, even then Cincy doesn't play agaisnt the best competition. Maybin made his hay by regularly beating Big 10 LT's.

Freak Out
03-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Damn.....I just heard that Warner could be close to signing with the 49ers. I have to admit I haven't paid that much attention as to what other teams have been doing other than the great Sage trade that the Vikings pulled off but this kind of surprised me.

Charles Woodson
03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
T.J. Hous-ja-mama is now offically a Seahawk. Best of luck to him...BOO seahawks.
Yay seahawks, would have been bad if he had been a viking

Did anything noteworthy happen today? dont feel like reading 5 pages worth of stuff

vince
03-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Can't speak for homeboy but that was my take on it :)
You got it Mish. Even if Seattle goes OT, that could mean that someone like Oak. or Jax who would have gone OT guy now takes Raji ahead of us.

KC addressing their QB and Seattle with WR are both bad for us as far as I see it.

KYPack
03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Goddamn.

In the who gives a shit, but it sure is wierd, dept....

Denver just signed ANOTHER FA.

The Denver Broncos agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract with San Francisco 49ers free agent defensive tackle Ronald Fields, according to a league source. The 6-foot-2, 315-pound defensive lineman played in all 16 games last season. He was credited with 19 tackles, according to NFL.com.

I think Denver has lost it. They may become the first team to turn over the whole roster in the off-season

mission
03-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Goddamn.

The Denver Broncos agreed to a two-year, $5 million contract with San Francisco 49ers free agent defensive tackle Ronald Fields, according to a league source. The 6-foot-2, 315-pound defensive lineman played in all 16 games last season. He was credited with 19 tackles, according to NFL.com.

I think Denver has lost it. They may become the first team to turn over the whole roster in the off-season

Weird situation over there, huh? Someone is gun(g?)-ho...

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Favre admitted, "I just don't know if it's worth a try. But there will be a day, I'm sure, when I feel like I could play 291 more games"

:lol: :lol:

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Favre.

Fritz
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Goddamn.

What are they doing out in Denver? Putting FA's pictures on a dartboard and throwing darts to see who's next?

Crazy stuff out there. Maybe Shanny was the only thing keeping Pat Bowlen from turning into Jerry Jones.

packer4life
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Goddamn.

What are they doing out in Denver? Putting FA's pictures on a dartboard and throwing darts to see who's next?

Crazy stuff out there. Maybe Shanny was the only thing keeping Pat Bowlen from turning into Jerry Jones.

denver signings thus far:
Correll Buckhalter RB
Andra Davis LB
Brian Dawkins S
Jabar Gafney WR
Andre Goodman CB
Renaldo Hill S
Darrell Reid DT
Ronald Fields DT

jesus christ, just think of the mess this is going to make during training camp. It's tough to incorporate a few new players, but this list (and I'm sure I have missed some) is just unbelievable. What in the hell is this team thinking?

Also, that Cutler situation is a ticking time-bomb.

mission
03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Goddamn.

Correll Buckhalter RB
Andra Davis LB
Brian Dawkins S
Jabar Gafney WR
Andre Goodman CB
Renaldo Hill S
Darrell Reid DT
Ronald Fields DT

jesus christ, just think of the mess this is going to make during training camp. It's tough to incorporate a few new players, but this list (and I'm sure I have missed some) is just unbelievable. What in the hell is this team thinking?

JSO blog posters would equate that with a Super Bowl. :lol:

packer4life
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
ya seriously, not one name pops out on that list. dawkins is old, but decent and is a nice stopgap for a year or two. the rest...boring

Fritz
03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Goddamn.

Correll Buckhalter RB
Andra Davis LB
Brian Dawkins S
Jabar Gafney WR
Andre Goodman CB
Renaldo Hill S
Darrell Reid DT
Ronald Fields DT

Hey, if Denver loves free agents so much, maybe we could trade Mike Montgomery to them!

mission
03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Goddamn.

Correll Buckhalter RB
Andra Davis LB
Brian Dawkins S
Jabar Gafney WR
Andre Goodman CB
Renaldo Hill S
Darrell Reid DT
Ronald Fields DT

Hey, if Denver loves free agents so much, maybe we could trade Mike Montgomery to them!

It wouldn't be the same ... they probably couldn't overpay for him then :lol:

MJZiggy
03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
That's easy...we'll just demand a lot!

mission
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM
That's easy...we'll just demand a lot!

Whatcha think? 2 seconds and a third or just their 7th each of the next 18 years?

mission
03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Ron Bartell (Who?! A CB apparently) just got 28 mil / 4 yrs / 13.5 guaranteed to stay in STL

Damn... this is a crazy market.

Rastak
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Man, from the Red Star blog....Housh got some serious coin from the Hawks.

Michael Smith of ESPN reported the deal was more than $40 million for five years, with more than $15 million guaranteed. That means the Seahawks upped their offer quite a bit too get the 31-year-old receiver.

Fritz
03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Man...in this market I might even get a guaranteed $75,000 spread over three years.

Zool
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Michael Smith of ESPN reported the deal was more than $40 million for five years, with more than $15 million guaranteed. That means the Seahawks upped their offer quite a bit too get the 31-year-old receiver.

Good for him I suppose.

Rastak
03-02-2009, 08:58 PM

Good for him I suppose.

Sure is. He'd have been a great addition to the purple but he's gonna be 32 when the season starts. Man, that's alot for a guy his age.

Time will tell if he's worth it.

As you say, good deal for him.

Rastak
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
From PFT.com....sounds like Ward is a Buc....

WARD SIGNS WITH BUCS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2009, 9:27 p.m.

The Derrick Ward free agency tour has ended.

And the final resting stop was Tampa.

Per a league source, Ward has agreed to terms on a four-year, $17 million deal.

He’ll earn $6 million guaranteed in the first year, $9.25 million over the first two, and $13 million over the first three.

More to come.

bigcoz75
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
The Tennessee Titans reached agreement with free-agent WR Nate Washington on an undisclosed deal and with free-agent DT Jovan Haye on a four-year, $16 million contract. The team will have a press conference today to introduce both players to the media.

Washington had 40 receptions for 631 yards and three touchdowns for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008. Haye made 14 starts for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.

Bretsky
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Deal closers; all these dam GM's are deal closers. Fire them all :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This free agency thing is fun when you set your expectations right

mission
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Deal closers; all these dam GM's are deal closers. Fire them all :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So what you're saying is TT doesn't deserve any coffee. I mean, it is, afterall, for closers.

KYPack
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Some of these teams have "signed" themselves out of the game.

Denver, Washington, the Giants really aren't gonna play anymore.

Yet to raise their hairy little head (besides us)... Dallas.

Partial
03-02-2009, 10:24 PM

So what you're saying is TT doesn't deserve any coffee. I mean, it is, afterall, for closers.

Great flick.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/441198

Both Taylor and Holliday played for Capers in 2006 and ’07, when Capers was Miami’s defensive coordinator, and a league source said Monday night the team is intrigued by both players.

Partial
03-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Both Taylor and Holliday played for Capers in 2006 and ’07, when Capers was Miami’s defensive coordinator, and a league source said Monday night the team is intrigued by both players.

If they were to add both of these guys, land Raji (a guy I am not crazy about but lets face facts - they need a body to play some snaps at NT), they'll be in decent position to field a competitive defense. Those two, Raji, and Olshansky would really go a long way for the Packers and their quest to be a run stuffing team first. Then, in the event that Harrell and/or Jenkins do manage to stay healthy and perform, we can expect to make the playoffs imo.

KYPack
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM

If they were to add both of these guys, land Raji (a guy I am not crazy about but lets face facts - they need a body to play some snaps at NT), they'll be in decent position to field a competitive defense. Those two, Raji, and Olshansky would really go a long way for the Packers and their quest to be a run stuffing team first. Then, in the event that Harrell and/or Jenkins do manage to stay healthy and perform, we can expect to make the playoffs imo.

Partial, they aren't gonna sign all 4 of those guys.

Be happy if we get one of the 4.

Maybe two if we get a rookie DL somehow.

Partial
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
I realize they're not going to sign all 4. We need about 4 guys, though. Certainly 3. We need two DEs and a NT like you wouldn't believe.

Bretsky
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I'd take one quality player and one junk player that might turn out to be fine

Waldo
03-02-2009, 11:22 PM

Looks like they got the junk part covered.

Check the JSO for who they're bringing in, S Mike Adams from Cle. Sounds like a S/CB/ST swing guy. Might we be looking to replace our current one?

swede
03-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Check the JSO for who they're bringing in, S Mike Adams from Cle. Sounds like a S/CB/ST swing guy. Might we be looking to replace our current one?

What's Mr. Roman up to?

Bossman641
03-03-2009, 12:31 AM

If it means finally sending Jarrett Bush packing I'm all for it.

I don't know much about this guy. 7 INT in 67 games while playing part-time sounds decent though.

Where would he fit? It says he's more of a coverage guy then an "in-the-box" guy. Are they looking at him as competition for Bigby, or just as a nickel/dime back.

Partial
03-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Jarrett Bush is a really solid 5th safety/5th corner. Don't know why he is so hated.

Dude is a special teams stud dynamo

Bossman641
03-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Jarrett Bush is a really solid 5th safety/5th corner. Don't know why he is so hated.

Maybe 2 years ago. He was terrible on ST's this year, all he did was commit blocks in the back and other penalties.

Partial
03-03-2009, 12:44 AM

Maybe 2 years ago. He was terrible on ST's this year, all he did was commit blocks in the back and other penalties.

I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. One could argue the entire unit under-performed this year.

mission
03-03-2009, 12:55 AM

I disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion. One could argue the entire unit under-performed this year.

You're entitled to your opinion as well but when it comes down to facts like penalties and boneheaded plays, the books don't lie.

It's possible to say, "yeah, despite all of that, play X and play Y, more than made up for those mistakes".

But I just don't remember play X and play Y

Partial
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
But we haven't seen any stats :wink:

mission
03-03-2009, 01:07 AM

I don't have the super sources like Patler and Waldo but if you saw the games last year, he did enough "things" (penalties) that would be recorded somewhere to at least require play X and play Y as a counter ... and if someone cares enough about J.Bush to find those stats, have you prepared your X / Y ... you're a lot more creative than I if so :lol:

Partial
03-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Nah, I don't care either way, but I think he's a pretty good special teams player. He's athletic, instinctive and unafraid of contract. Just lacks the ball skills to cover well.

mission
03-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Nah, I don't care either way, but I think he's a pretty good special teams player. He's athletic, instinctive and unafraid of contract. Just lacks the ball skills to cover well.

I'm not a super Bush hater either tbh... he just pissed me off a few times last year so I'm indifferent.

Kind of like my Poppinga agenda... :lol:

vince
03-03-2009, 05:58 AM
It seems to me that you have more differing roles between SS and FS now with the new D than we had previously, which makes the safeties a bit less interchangeable.

Bigby and Rouse would be more SS types who can excel closer to the line of scrimmage. Neither would seem to excel in defining coverages or as the last line of defense that the FS position requires more of.

Mike Adams is/would be a far better free safety in the new 3-4, then Bush or Peprah would ever hope to be. His skils and experience would be a nice (and needed) depth addition to protect against the event of injury to Collins.

packrulz
03-03-2009, 06:06 AM
I haven't ruled out Grady Jackson yet, he's 38, and he tried to sue the Falcons, but if TT signed him cheap to a one or 2 year deal he can still clog the middle. I'm not convinced TT is going to draft Raji at 9.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-03-2009, 09:38 AM

I'm not a super Bush hater either tbh... he just pissed me off a few times last year so I'm indifferent.

Kind of like my Poppinga agenda... :lol:

Ever since Bush couldn't pick up that fumble in the championship game I wanted him gone.

Pugger
03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Grady Jackson?? He's rather long in the tooth so I'd rather have Pickett.

Waldo
03-03-2009, 10:26 AM

He made 11 tackles last year, 4 on defense, 7 on special teams. He broke up 1 pass on defense. He was flagged 6 times on special teams and was responsible for a ST turnover after being hit by a punt and failing to fall on the ball.

Patler
03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Bush is a guy about whom you have to ask, "How long do we wait?" The coaches have always spoken highly of his potential, his attitude and his effort. Some guys take longer, some never get there. Chris Johnson was also all potential and little performance for years. Who foresaw his 2008 performance coming even as recently as 2007? It took him 5 years to put it together.

Will the same happen with Bush, or will he never get there?

Waldo
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I look at Adams like this:

In hindsight of the 2008 season, if you could spend 1-1.5M dollars anywhere to have the most drastic effect on the final W-L record (the most bang for the buck), aside from specialist positions, where would it be?

S/ST IMO, a legit backup/low end starter quality guy and ST stud to replace Peprah would have made the biggest difference overall. S problems plagued us all year, as did ST player talent.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
S/ST IMO, a legit backup/low end starter quality guy and ST stud to replace Peprah would have made the biggest difference overall. S problems plagued us all year, as did ST player talent.

What? Peprah barely played on defense last year and who really knows how good he was on special teams. He is what he is... deep depth at safety and a special teams player. You are always going to have those types on the roster.

Waldo
03-03-2009, 11:00 AM

What? Peprah barely played on defense last year and who really knows how good he was on special teams. He is what he is... deep depth at safety and a special teams player. You are always going to have those types on the roster.

We were playing Wood as SS because Peprah was so bad. We were playing Rouse on a high ankle sprain because Peprah was so bad. Bigby was playing hurt because we had no good backups. Peprah is not a good ST player.

There were ample opportunities for an adequate backup to see the field last year, and I think that it would have been a great help if we were able to stick a guy at one position, Rouse played both SS and FS last year, at times in the same game. He's a much better FS than SS, his football instincts aren't very good.

Adams is a SS, but the opposite type than Bigby. Bigby is a box guy that isn't very good at covering, Adams is a cover guy that isn't as good in the box. He's got good football instincts though.

Dude's workout #'s are sick:
4.38 40
3.99 SS
6.85 3C

packer4life
03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
grady jackson signed with the lions...

and regarding jarret bush, all i can think of is that play where an unidentified opposing player ran about 20 yards past the point of initial contact as bush tried to hold on for dear life...JUNK HIM

Pugger
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, Adams left town without an offer. Of course we could still call him later...

Lurker64
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, Adams left town without an offer. Of course we could still call him later...

I just heard it was "without a contract". I don't think we know whether or not he was offered anything.

Guiness
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
grady jackson signed with the lions...

Signed, pending a physical. I want to see the doctor that passes him!

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jha0135l.jpg

KYPack
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
If I really cared I'd start a new thread dept...

Those wacky Broncos just singed LaMont Jordan, RB

Is'nt there a freaking limit on how may FA's you sign?

It'll take a month or so to get everybody introduced to one another.

I don't think Bowlen and these two kids know what they are doing.

Lurker64
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
If I really cared I'd start a new thread dept...

Those wacky Broncos just singed LaMont Jordan, RB

Is'nt there a freaking limit on how may FA's you sign?

It'll take a month or so to get everybody introduced to one another.

I don't think Bowlen and these two kids know what they are doing.

It'll take longer, since the Cutler trade will probably take a while to hammer out.

bigcoz75
03-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Ravens Ink Birk
From Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com:

After 11 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, and six Pro Bowl appearances, free agent center Matt Birk is leaving the team.

Birk agreed to a contract with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday afternoon. He will replace center Jason Brown, who this week signed a five-year $37.5 million contract with the St. Louis Rams. Birk will provide stability to the Baltimore blocking unit.

KYPack
03-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Weaker line for the Queens.
Birk was a good hand, they'll miss that boy.

Back on Denver's FA quest. Bowlen has those two kids reporting directly to him, like a couple puppets. They are 31 & 32, but they look about 23. Bowlen wants to be a rock star owner like Jerruh and could really be screwing up here.

I hope so, that is.

RashanGary
03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I was really happy to see that. Birk is a very good player. Even if the Vikings can handle losing one lineman, they're bound to lose another through injury. How will they hold up over the course of a season with a glue guy like Birk gone. They don't trade back to stock pile picks very often and they traded away several the last couple years. You have to start wondering about that depth.

Nice to see.

KYPack
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
From the Just Shoot Me department……

Denver has once more (maybe more than that) lost it's fucking mind again.
Broncos finally agreed to the terms of a four-year, $10 million contract with RB J.J. Arrington.

Arrington and Jordan boost the Broncos' free-agent take to 11 players since Friday. And more are coming. The Broncos are visiting today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms, who would become the backup to Jay Cutler. The team also has a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet signed with restricted free agent David Anderson of the Houston Texans. Houston has until Friday to either match the Broncos' offer or work out a trade.

At this rate, Cutler may be the only Broncos player who returns for 2009.

No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth.

The Broncos have taken a break from signing free agents from other teams to keep one of their own. Per a league source, defensive lineman Kenny Peterson has agreed to terms with the club on a three-year deal.
Peterson, a six-year veteran, was a third-round pick of the Packers in 2003. He was cut by Green Bay in September 2006, and has spent the last three seasons with the Broncos.

Sign all these guys and keep Kenny Peterson????

What the Hell?

imscott72
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
From the Just Shoot Me department……

Denver has once more (maybe more than that) lost it's fucking mind again.
Broncos finally agreed to the terms of a four-year, $10 million contract with RB J.J. Arrington.

Arrington and Jordan boost the Broncos' free-agent take to 11 players since Friday. And more are coming. The Broncos are visiting today with veteran quarterback Chris Simms, who would become the backup to Jay Cutler. The team also has a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet signed with restricted free agent David Anderson of the Houston Texans. Houston has until Friday to either match the Broncos' offer or work out a trade.

At this rate, Cutler may be the only Broncos player who returns for 2009.

No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth.

The Broncos have taken a break from signing free agents from other teams to keep one of their own. Per a league source, defensive lineman Kenny Peterson has agreed to terms with the club on a three-year deal.
Peterson, a six-year veteran, was a third-round pick of the Packers in 2003. He was cut by Green Bay in September 2006, and has spent the last three seasons with the Broncos.

Sign all these guys and keep Kenny Peterson????

What the Hell?

Somewhere Ted Thompson is laughing his ass off..