PDA

View Full Version : 7 yrs/ 100 Million for Haynesworth

bobblehead
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9271398/Report:-Haynesworth,-Redskins-reach-deal?MSNHPHMA

Seems the big spenders are in normal form.

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I heard on ESPN this morning that the deal includes earnable incentives that could push the total value of the contract to 115 million if each are met.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
To think, our QB makes about half that amount. :lol:

Patler
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM
To my way of thinking, that amount should be spent only on an unquestioned leader on the field, in the locker room and in the community. Clearly he becomes a face of your franchise. Haynesworth may have been that on the field the last couple years, but in view of his prior "transgressions" I'm not convinced he meets the other standards I would have for him.

Patler
02-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Time for him to hold out or demand a trade! :lol:

Gunakor
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM

He should wait until next year. Next year his cap number drops to about 6 million, roughly one third of what Haynesworth will be paid.

hurleyfan
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9271398/Report:-Haynesworth,-Redskins-reach-deal?MSNHPHMA

Every year Snyder does this! How do they manage the cap?!?!

vince
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
The Skins were pretty quiet last year in free agency. Obviously, that pent up energy exploded with this signing.

Lurker64
02-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Every once in a while they end up cutting veterans like it's going out of style, whether or not they want to.

LL2
02-27-2009, 03:12 PM

He should wait until next year. Next year his cap number drops to about 6 million, roughly one third of what Haynesworth will be paid.

Certainly Rodgers can't complain about his 12 mil a year avg salary....but if he keeps getting better he will be a reasonably price QB from the Packers view point.

Waldo
02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
AR's deal is 6 yr 65M, 10.8M/yr average. If he keeps up last years play, that is a straight up bargain.

Good side effect of it though. QB's like to complain "sign me X", even when they make huge bucks. AR's bucks aren't as good, so his teammates should be.

Imagine how much better we could have been in Shermans era if BF played for half what he played for.

Guiness
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Have to flat out shake your head here.

One of the reasons CW was franchised last year is that the DT franchise tag is one of the lowest (along with TE and Safety, I believe). So how does a DT merit being in the top 10 or so players in the league, salary wise.

Just not an important enough position, IMO.

cheesner
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Have to flat out shake your head here.

One of the reasons CW was franchised last year is that the DT franchise tag is one of the lowest (along with TE and Safety, I believe). So how does a DT merit being in the top 10 or so players in the league, salary wise.

Just not an important enough position, IMO.

The most ridiculous part of the Haynesworth deal is the 41M guaranteed money.

I was very leary of AH because of the bust potential, and now I think the likelihood of a bust is even greater with that much guaranteed money. Is he sitting in a hotel room right now with a kilo of blow and 3 hookers? Probably not, but I bet you anything he isn't in the weight room pumping iron.

Guiness
02-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I've always wondered about fans of a team like this. Are they looking at this signing saying 'ya! Who's your momma now! With Haynesworth, we're going to own everyone!' Or do they realize that it's just one player, and they're probably going down the same path.

I can at least understand Yankee fans. They blow all that money, but it results in championships - that's the problem with MLB. But in the capped world of the NFL, it just doesn't help.

Fritz
02-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Just read in the Detroit papers that the Skins also signed Derrick Dockery for 26 mil.

Patler
02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Matt Bowens comment on the National Football Post:

By now, you all know that Albert Haynesworth officially became the highest-paid defensive player ever ($100 Million), but I talked to some former teammates of his who don’t believe the hype — they doubt that the money was well spent on a guy who takes plays off. Although Haynesworth can be a monster at times, it’s got to make you wonder when the guys he lined up with question his desire to play after his big payday — something I’ve heard more than once.

Waldo
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Most of the comments from Redskins fans that I've read have been less than happy. They're pretty ticked.

Many Packers fans hate TT for running the team into the ground by not pursuing FA's. Redskins fans hate Snyder for running the team into the ground getting FA's.

pbmax
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM

Because most of the reported contract is funny money. Only the guaranteed amount is astonishing. But Snyder has always been willing to pay cash to keep the cap straight.

HAYNESWORTH’S “REAL” DEAL IS FOUR YEARS, $48 MILLION
Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2009, 9:41 p.m. (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/27/haynesworths-real-deal-is-four-years-48-million/)

In year five, he gets $29 million in salary and bonuses. Not likely going to happen, unless we have an economic miracle occur soon.

RashanGary
02-28-2009, 10:26 PM
There is a chance it blows up in Washingtons face, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a risk worth taking. Great players are rare. This guy is great. 12 mil per year for what should be the best four years of this guys career is money well spent.

Like I said, it mgiht blow up, but I think there is a better chance he has a damn good 4 years. GREAT player, One of the few.

Patler
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
There is a chance it blows up in Washingtons face, but as far as I'm concerned, this is a risk worth taking. Great players are rare. This guy is great. 12 mil per year for what should be the best four years of this guys career is money well spent.

Like I said, it mgiht blow up, but I think there is a better chance he has a damn good 4 years. GREAT player, One of the few.

Maybe he has straightened out, but per Bowen's column, he doesn't even seem to have the respect of his team mates. It is just two and a half seasons ago that he was suspended for five games for going berserk in a game. I would have a hard time making him the highest paid defensive player ever.

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 01:58 AM
To my way of thinking, that amount should be spent only on an unquestioned leader on the field, in the locker room and in the community. Clearly he becomes a face of your franchise. Haynesworth may have been that on the field the last couple years, but in view of his prior "transgressions" I'm not convinced he meets the other standards I would have for him.

Clearly Patler you underestimated what Big Bad Dan wants on the field with D.C. statistically being the murder capital of world as far as gunfire murders for the past 20 years. By signing thugs for hire such Hayesworth (I'll thug life step your head without a helmet bitch) and D. Hall (truly I learned my lessons as punk ass bitch) to huge deals, they say, in Washington we accept the lessons they may have learned and will pay through the fucking teeth for exceptional physical talent, albeit at any cost, and team chemistry.

Wow...Snake wouldn't have minded Alberrt in GB at a discount, but laughs at seeing how that turns out in DC. Thugs could do OK in GB, but DC, let's see.

RashanGary
03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Albert Hayensworth, when healthy, is one of the elite defenders in the NFL.
Bart Scott is a decent player but nothing special.

Hayensworth got 4 years, 48 (forget about him making 30 million in the 5th year of this contract, he'll be cut).

Scott got 6 years, 48 million.

I'd much rather have AH. He's one of the rare great players that ever makes it to UFA and he got a deal right about what the average players get. This is a very good move for Washington. I'd take him at that rate and they didn't give up even one draft pick.

Patler
03-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Hayensworth got 4 years, 48 (forget about him making 30 million in the 5th year of this contract, he'll be cut).

I'd much rather have AH. He's one of the rare great players that ever makes it to UFA and he got a deal right about what the average players get. This is a very good move for Washington. I'd take him at that rate and they didn't give up even one draft pick.

4 years for 48 million is "a deal right about what the average player makes"?
With $41 million of it guaranteed, and $32 million paid in the first 13 months?

All this for a guy who apparently does not have the respect of his team mates and is just a couple years removed from a 5 game suspension for being a thug? (Which was at least his third incident of that type.) If he performs at the top of his game, this is at best just an "OK" deal for Washington, in my opinion.

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 12:57 AM

4 years for 48 million is "a deal right about what the average player makes"?
With $41 million of it guaranteed, and $32 million paid in the first 13 months?

All this for a guy who apparently does not have the respect of his team mates and is just a couple years removed from a 5 game suspension for being a thug? (Which was at least his third incident of that type.) If he performs at the top of his game, this is at best just an "OK" deal for Washington, in my opinion.

That's tough to say, though, given GB's lack of DL talent as of late. Cole's gone. :cry: :shock: :lol: But, if it's really 4 for 48...that'd be a deal Snake would do in a heartbeat for GB. The downside is all the guaran-damn-teed money to a thug-4-hire like big Al. The guy is a beast for sure...on the field and mentally. He might do OK in GB, but the jury is out for DC's finest. You get what you pay for though.