PDA

View Full Version : CASSEL TO THE CHIEFS!!

digitaldean
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM
http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/
Less than a week ago, I opined at SportingNews.com that the Chiefs and the Patriots wouldn't be able to work out a trade for quarterback Matt Cassel because each side would be overly concerned about the perception that the other got the better side of the bargain.

So much for that.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the deal is done -- Cassel has been traded from the Patriots to the Chiefs.

More details and reaction to come.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Freak Out
02-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow. The details should be interesting.

The_Dude
02-28-2009, 12:06 PM
So what is the deal with this then? Do the Patriots get 2 1st rounders now?

Lurker64
02-28-2009, 12:10 PM

No, the Patriots traded Cassel, they are free to trade him for whatever they think they can get for him. Corey Williams was franchised by Green Bay, and then traded for a second round pick, far short of the two first rounders that "signing him outright" would have cost.

Rastak
02-28-2009, 01:15 PM

I heard it was a 2nd rounder on NFL Radio.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I guess they expect Brady back at full health.

retailguy
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Man, If I were running an NFL team that needed a QB, I'd be trying to trade for Tyler Thigpen right now...

Partial
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Man, If I were running an NFL team that needed a QB, I'd be trying to trade for Tyler Thigpen right now...

Same here. I like what I saw out of him this year (highlights).

Looks like he has a pretty good arm and is a good athlete.

Packnut
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
This should be interesting. My contention is it's much easier to play QB when you have the horses around you. I like Bowe but he's no Moss. Can't wait to see how this guy does without the highly talented players NE had around him.

retailguy
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
This should be interesting. My contention is it's much easier to play QB when you have the horses around you. I like Bowe but he's no Moss. Can't wait to see how this guy does without the highly talented players NE had around him.

I don't know, Packnut. Bowe and Gonzalez were the only offensive threats on that team last year (johnson was hurt, remember?) and he played pretty good if you ask me. Bowe's the real deal, and is a good up and coming receiver in this league.

sheepshead
02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
From what I saw last year, I'm glad he's not in the NFC North.

packers11
02-28-2009, 03:11 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Chiefs acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft pick.

Patriots fans won't be happy, but speculation is that New England preferred the second-round pick over the third overall because of the contract value. They have three second-round picks now and also likely felt pressure to get Cassel's cap number off the books quickly to move forward in free agency. Clearly, the couldn't get a better deal elsewhere and they are confident in Tom Brady's health. Cassel was not a lock to have success everywhere, but he's set up as a long-term fantasy starter with Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley playing to his strengths. The Chiefs will likely incorporate a pass-first, shotgun-heavy offense. This is great news for Dwayne Bowe and company. Feb. 28 - 2:09 pm et

WHAT THE HELL ARE THE PATS THINKING???? A 2nd rounder for 2 starters?!

Corey Williams - 2nd Rounder
Javon Walker - 2nd Rounder

I'd say we got a lot better value in our trades :lol:

falco
02-28-2009, 03:28 PM

don't forgot that our genius GM gave away a hall of fame franchise QB (and a 7th round pick) for a 3rd... :P

mission
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM

don't forgot that our genius GM gave away a hall of fame franchise QB (and a 7th round pick) for a 3rd... :P

Seemed great then, seems great now.

falco
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM

i forgot to leave my post dripping with sarcasm, sorry

mission
02-28-2009, 03:32 PM

i forgot to leave my post dripping with sarcasm, sorry

it wouldn't have mattered... i was just chiming in... not necessarily against you or with you or anything :)

falco
02-28-2009, 03:35 PM
it wouldn't have mattered... i was just chiming in... not necessarily against you or with you or anything :)

what would really put the issue to rest is if TT drafted some pro bowl talent with that pick... that would put (most of) the critics to rest

Lurker64
02-28-2009, 03:50 PM
WHAT THE HELL ARE THE PATS THINKING???? A 2nd rounder for 2 starters?!

Vrabel isn't really a starter anymore. He's a one or two down player at this point in his career. He's primarily valuable for his leadership and smarts. He hasn't shown much in New England for the past couple years. I think he was pretty much just thrown in to sweeten the pot on the Cassel trade.

imscott72
02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Considering an injured Dante Culpepper and AJ Feeley both went for 2nd rounders at one point, this is pretty stunning.

falco
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Considering an injured Dante Culpepper and AJ Feeley both went for 2nd rounders at one point, this is pretty stunning.

have you seen the Dow lately? A 2nd rounder is probably worth about half what it was then.

Partial
02-28-2009, 04:34 PM

have you seen the Dow lately? A 2nd rounder is probably worth about half what it was then.

:lol:

Fritz
02-28-2009, 04:52 PM
As I wrote in that other thread that got tossed into the garbage can, I don't know what to make of this. As always, time will tell. If Cassell becomes a top notch QB, then a second is not that much. If he was a system guy and becomes just a guy, then NE got the better of it.

I also asked if anyone had heard the word going around Detroit now - that there was some kind of proposed deal - I don't know if it was two-way, Denver and Detroit, or three way, with Tampa, or NE, or what, but the gist was that Denver was offering Cutler - to Detroit, I think - and the bottom line was that Detroit would have to give up a wheelbarrow full of picks, like the two firsts and two thirds, or something like that.

Anyone hear anything on that?

sheepshead
02-28-2009, 05:01 PM
My head is spinning with all these trade rumors. Why is Dallas looking for more qb's? Who does Denver have in mind to take Cutlers place?

sheepshead
02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
And that Kitna trade was a player for player deal? When was the last time we saw that?

Fritz
02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
What Kitna trade???

sheepshead
02-28-2009, 05:10 PM
COWBOYS PICK UP KITNA FOR HENRY
Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:32 PM
Two days after cutting veteran Brad Johnson and one day after watching Brooks Bollinger become a free agent, the Dallas Cowboys have addressed their needs at the quarterback position by swinging a deal for Jon Kitna of the Lions.

The Cowboys announced the move moments ago.

Kitna, a 12-year veteran, landed on injured reserve during the 2008 season under circumstances suggesting that he really didn't have a season-ending injury. The fact that the Lions got anything in exchange for Kitna is a positive, given that they undoubtedly would have cut him at some point.

In return, the Cowboys have given up starting cornerback Anthony Henry, who started all 16 games in 2008.

Both players are in the last years of their deals. Kitna is due to earn a base salary of $1.95 million, and Henry will receive a base salary of $2.6 million.

Fritz
02-28-2009, 05:12 PM
A starting corner for a back up QB? Wow.

If the Lions' GM Mayhew keeps making deal with only the Cowboys, he'll end up looking like a genius.

He already ripped them off in the Roy Williams trade.

Joemailman
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
A Lions GM making shrewd moves? Is nothing sacred anymore? :evil:

Fritz
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
A Lions GM making shrewd moves? Is nothing sacred anymore? :evil:

He's shrewd enough to expose Jerry Jones for the wiener he is.

vince
02-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Speaking of the Lions GM and the topic of the thread, I for the life of me can't figure out why the Lions wouldn't give their second first rounder for Cassell and draft a Tackle with the top pick... They then still would have pick 33 also...

I can't believe they're rallying around Culpepper in Detroit...

Perhaps they are in love with Stafford, but going franchise OT and Cassell would seem to be a far more sound direction than Stafford and who knows who in the first...

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Speaking of the Lions GM and the topic of the thread, I for the life of me can't figure out why the Lions wouldn't give their second first rounder for Cassell and draft a Tackle with the top pick... They then still would have pick 33 also...

I can't believe they're rallying around Culpepper in Detroit...

Perhaps they are in love with Stafford, but going franchise OT and Cassell would seem to be a far more sound direction than Stafford and who knows who in the first...

Good point, but then again it will still only be a three team race is the north for at least another three years. So thats always good. 8-)

Joemailman
02-28-2009, 07:35 PM
The Cassel trade has big draft day implications, possibly for the Packers. With KC out of the market for a 1st round QB, it is very possible that either Sanchez or Stafford will still be available when the Packers pick. This opens up the possibility of someone wanting to trade up into the #9 spot, ahead of SF to take a QB. With the Packers defense in search of linemen and outside linebackers, I wouldn't mind picking up an extra 2nd round pick.

Fritz
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM
I'd be okay with a trade down...maybe Jackson a little later in the first - around 15 or 16? - and pick up an extra, what, third?

But that's if someone wants to dance.

We'll see.

retailguy
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
The Cassel trade has big draft day implications, possibly for the Packers. With KC out of the market for a 1st round QB, it is very possible that either Sanchez or Stafford will still be available when the Packers pick. This opens up the possibility of someone wanting to trade up into the #9 spot, ahead of SF to take a QB. With the Packers defense in search of linemen and outside linebackers, I wouldn't mind picking up an extra 2nd round pick.

Good point. A trade down. Hmm. been a while since that happened, eh? :wink:

Lurker64
02-28-2009, 09:03 PM
So here's something to think about. When Cassel signs his huge extension for many millions of dollars, how exactly should he repay Bernard Pollard without whom Matt Cassel would considerably poorer?

Fritz
03-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Here's one odd thing: from all the Denver/Detroi/Tampa rumors, it sounds sure like NE could've played these teams off one another and got a lot more than a high second for Cassell. Already, from Denver's early moves, they look like a trainwreck and it's not inconceivable that a whole lot more than that second coulda been garnered.

The fact that Belichik didn't do that lends credence to the notion that he was doing Pioli a favor over in KC.

If I were NE's owner, I don't know that I'd like that.

Patler
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Here's one odd thing: from all the Denver/Detroi/Tampa rumors, it sounds sure like NE could've played these teams off one another and got a lot more than a high second for Cassell. Already, from Denver's early moves, they look like a trainwreck and it's not inconceivable that a whole lot more than that second coulda been garnered.

The fact that Belichik didn't do that lends credence to the notion that he was doing Pioli a favor over in KC.

If I were NE's owner, I don't know that I'd like that.

It has been reported in several venues that NE did not want a high first because of the cost associated with it. They were fine with a much less expensive, but very high second round pick that will still bring a good player. It could make some salary cap sense.

Fritz
03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
True enough, but couldn't Detroit offer the 33rd plus a third? That's still better than what KC gave.

Same for Tampa.

Unless Cassell let the Pats know he would balk at going to Detroit or Denver or Tampa.

KYPack
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
This trade and the aborted Denver trading of Cutler could have unbelievable ramifications for next season. There is no off-season this year, it's all action all the time.

Cutler is highly pissed about the new Denver regime trying to get rid of his ass and rumblings are coming out the mountains that he wants gone from Denver.

Also making noise? Cutler's agent, Bus cook! Another wild off-season for the fat guy.