02-28-2009, 07:51 PM
what the hell are the broncos thinking?

i guess the broncos tries to involve him in the cassell trade

now cutler has come out and said, he thinks he's still on the trade block

why in the world would they do this?

i wonder if the lions or bears will try and get involved

Lurker64
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
We can't rule out the possibility that Cutler is just being a drama queen here.

Fritz
02-28-2009, 07:56 PM
The word in Detroit is that maybe the Broncs thought the Leos were still being run by Matt Millen, and thought maybe Detroit would fork over both firsts and both thirds for Cutler.

It's sketchy, though.

red
02-28-2009, 08:00 PM
We can't rule out the possibility that Cutler is just being a drama queen here.

i'd be a little pissed too if i found out my team just tried to trade me

MJZiggy
02-28-2009, 08:03 PM
But wouldn't you be flattered by the price?

digitaldean
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
http://tinyurl.com/bzahes

From ESPN.com (and former Appleton Post-Crescent writer) Bill Williamson....
Paraphrasing due to our present copy/paste guidelines....

The new Broncos coach wanted to have Cassel and not Cutler. There was to be a 3 team deal where Cutler goes to TB, Cassel goes to Denver and TB gives compensation (draft pick assuming) to NE.

Article further states that the new coach, Josh McDaniels, may have torpedoed his relationship with his present QB before they even take the first snap.

Cutler now, supposedly, wants out. That part could be more drama queenish, but man, why don't you just kick the guy below the belt while you're at it?

If Denver doesn't get rid of Cutler now, Cutler is SOL. He is under contract and has to play in Denver, like it or not.

But it sure puts a lot of egg on the face of the Denver organization.

Fritz
02-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Uh, they didn't handle that very well.

Which you can get away with if your backup's name is Aaron Rodgers.

retailguy
02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
The way these former NE guys are fawning all over Cassel kind of makes you wonder if they know something the rest of us don't. The guy looked pretty good, I have to admit, but the "hype" looks like more than the QB.

We'll see. Tyler Thigpen anyone? Where do you think he'll land? If I was San Fran or Chicago, I'd be on the phone right now. He's better than anything they've got. I like Orton, but I think this kid is better, and he's got a rocket arm too. With a little coaching and some confidence, he could be something in this league.

digitaldean
02-28-2009, 08:48 PM
So is Matt Cassell the next Scott Mitchell????

Zool
02-28-2009, 09:36 PM
So is Matt Cassell the next Scott Mitchell????

Mitchell actually had a couple decent seasons behind a shit O-line. He wasn't a world beater, but he's no Joey Harrington either.

Cassell will be average most likely and they really didnt have to give up that much to get him. The contract forthcoming should be interesting.

red
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
The way these former NE guys are fawning all over Cassel kind of makes you wonder if they know something the rest of us don't. The guy looked pretty good, I have to admit, but the "hype" looks like more than the QB.

We'll see. Tyler Thigpen anyone? Where do you think he'll land? If I was San Fran or Chicago, I'd be on the phone right now. He's better than anything they've got. I like Orton, but I think this kid is better, and he's got a rocket arm too. With a little coaching and some confidence, he could be something in this league.

i'm not sold, yet

he looked good last year with a stacked team that went undefeated the year before and made a good qb look like god on earth

he could flop right out with a team that isn't the best team ever assembled

with cutler, they knew what they had, and they knew he was pretty good

now, they're very screwed. they tried to trade him, then when the news leaked out and the deal didn't go through, the GM says they didn't try anything. meanwhile, no one has the balls to talk to cutler

giant screw up by the new management IMO

BF4MVP
02-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Cutler is slightly overrated but a good quarterback and I think he's better than Cassel. Good quarterbacks aren't easy to find. Stupid move by the Broncos from the beginning.

Lurker64
02-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Really, I think that Cutler is just going to turn out to be an average NFL starter, not someone who can ever lead a team to a championship, without a supremely talented team. There are only a handful of truly elite QBs in the league, and Cassel really isn't one of them. He'll put up good stats, but he won't ultimately accomplish much. After all, he didn't lead his team to the playoffs last year.

The Broncos really need to start looking for their QB for the future, they're not going to get the job done with Cutler.

retailguy
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Really, I think that Cutler is just going to turn out to be an average NFL starter, not someone who can ever lead a team to a championship, without a supremely talented team. There are only a handful of truly elite QBs in the league, and Cassel really isn't one of them. He'll put up good stats, but he won't ultimately accomplish much. After all, he didn't lead his team to the playoffs last year.

The Broncos really need to start looking for their QB for the future, they're not going to get the job done with Cutler.

Lurker, you've had some excellent posts the past few days, but I think your logic missed with this one. Lots of people in these rooms have "excused" Rodgers for the year the Packers have had. But, he didn't lead his team to the playoffs either. So, I think Cassel is being held by you to a higher standard than Rodgers.

KC is risking it all, but so did Ron Wolf too. Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences. Not sure I'd have swung over Cassel either, but using your logic, maybe Partial has some points? think about it.

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Lurker, you've had some excellent posts the past few days, but I think your logic missed with this one. Lots of people in these rooms have "excused" Rodgers for the year the Packers have had. But, he didn't lead his team to the playoffs either. So, I think Cassel is being held by you to a higher standard than Rodgers.

KC is risking it all, but so did Ron Wolf too. Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences. Not sure I'd have swung over Cassel either, but using your logic, maybe Partial has some points? think about it.

hey retail guy... do you really think KC is 'risking it all'??... i've read different opinions about the trade, some like it, others don't, but its only a 2nd rounder... sure its an early 2nd... but i look at it this way, KC has arguably gotten a leader on offense and defense for the 34th overall...

i don't mean to single you out, just using your comment to quote on... scott pioli is going to put together a team his way and he was able to get two players who could really help other members of the team learn the system the way he wants it run... anyway thats just my opinion...

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Damn..lot's of friction.

Snake's Bottom Line:

Cutler is pretty good QB right now.

Cutler runs his mouth how his arm is the BEST EVER in various media outets like Sporting News and ESPN.

Cutler hasn't done shit with the playoffs.

Cutler is young pup running out of ways to spin his shit.

Arod is better right now.

If you don't think so. Vote here:

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=16915

Snake hates a talky ass bitch. Cutler's done nothing.

retailguy
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
hey retail guy... do you really think KC is 'risking it all'??... i've read different opinions about the trade, some like it, others don't, but its only a 2nd rounder... sure its an early 2nd... but i look at it this way, KC has arguably gotten a leader on offense and defense for the 34th overall...

i don't mean to single you out, just using your comment to quote on... scott pioli is going to put together a team his way and he was able to get two players who could really help other members of the team learn the system the way he wants it run... anyway thats just my opinion...

Yeah, if not "all", they're risking a lot. Why? Tyler Thigpen. Basically, Pioli and company are passing him by without even an opportunity to show what he could do with a full offseason of work. Think the fans, the sportswriters and the owner won't remember those "flashes of brilliance" and a few of those beautiful bombs he tossed to Gonzalez and Bowe if Cassel tanks?

Thigpen is not an elite quarterback, but you can win with him. The guy just needs solid coaching and he could be really special. Every team doesn't need a franchise QB.

I think there is a lot of risk here. That high second could land a starting guard, linebacker or cornerback. Lots of needs in KC. Bigger than QB in my opinion.

Biggest upside? This might pacify Larry Johnson. That'd be very good. He's a pain in the ass. But he's got 3 or 4 good years yet in him, and KC needs that stability and threat.

KYPack
03-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I wonder if some other factors aren't in play in the "Cutler on the block" deal.

Xanders and Josh mcDaniel are a little new to try and pull off such a bold move (& screw it up, basically).

Bronc owner Pat Bowlen made one bold move in firing Mike (Shanny the Rat) Shnahan.

Was the aborted trading of Cutler the other shoe that Bowlen dropped? Shanny made no bones that Cutler was his guy. Maybe Shanny stood up for Cutler and Bowlen decided to make a clean sweep, get rid of both.

I haven't heard of anything on this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was so.

Waldo
03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I wonder if some other factors aren't in play in the "Cutler on the block" deal.

Xanders and Josh mcDaniel are a little new to try and pull off such a bold move (& screw it up, basically).

Bronc owner Pat Bowlen made one bold move in firing Mike (Shanny the Rat) Shnahan.

Was the aborted trading of Cutler the other shoe that Bowlen dropped? Shanny made no bones that Cutler was his guy. Maybe Shanny stood up for Cutler and Bowlen decided to make a clean sweep, get rid of both.

I haven't heard of anything on this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was so.

Remember also that Mr. Drama himself, Bus Cook, is Cutler's agent. The man knows how to play the media to make a soap opera. IMO he's more of a snake than Drew. Drew is blunt and to the point, and doesn't mince words. Bus will play a million different angles to create stories in more of an invisible hand role. Might the Brownco's now have to consider a new contract extension for Jay to pacify him and show him that they care about him?

bobblehead
03-01-2009, 11:44 AM
The comparisons between cutler and Favre are very legit, your team will win or lose primarily based on his play...when he is tossing picks, forget it, game over, but when he is on, he can thread the needle from 25 yards on a line.

Just my opinion and both sides are valid, but I would rather have a really solid game manager and a solid team behind him winning the right way....the best QB's of my time fit the latter. Montana, Aikman, Simms, Brady. The mad bombers, Marino, Favre, Manning, Fouts...they got 2 superbowl wins between them. The only exception I can think of was Kelly who got to 4 straight and probably would have won 2 or 3 if Norwood makes that first kick (LACES OUT KELLY :shock: )....sorry, ace ventura humor.

Patler
03-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Remember also that Mr. Drama himself, Bus Cook, is Cutler's agent. The man knows how to play the media to make a soap opera.

Very true. He knows how to play the "I'm not appreciated" card very well.

But assuming there is substance to the rumor, and it seems hard to believe there isn't, someone in Denver believes Cutler is not the QB they hoped for. How else do you explain dumping a 26 year old QB with 3 solid years of playing experience for a 27 year old with just one year of playing experience? You don't do that because you think the new one might be a little better, you only do it if you are convinced the incumbent is not the guy you want for the future. If it was a trade for a well-established veteran who still has a lot of years left, that would be different. This is giving up on Cutler for a guy who is not yet a proven entity.

Someone in Denver has given up on Cutler.

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Yeah, if not "all", they're risking a lot. Why? Tyler Thigpen. Basically, Pioli and company are passing him by without even an opportunity to show what he could do with a full offseason of work. Think the fans, the sportswriters and the owner won't remember those "flashes of brilliance" and a few of those beautiful bombs he tossed to Gonzalez and Bowe if Cassel tanks?

Thigpen is not an elite quarterback, but you can win with him. The guy just needs solid coaching and he could be really special. Every team doesn't need a franchise QB.

I think there is a lot of risk here. That high second could land a starting guard, linebacker or cornerback. Lots of needs in KC. Bigger than QB in my opinion.

Biggest upside? This might pacify Larry Johnson. That'd be very good. He's a pain in the ass. But he's got 3 or 4 good years yet in him, and KC needs that stability and threat.

you make some good points retail... i would definetly call it a risk... i guess any move that is made on some level is a risk... i guess i just look at it as scott pioli bringing in his type of guys... (and trust me i hated hearing "he's a parcells guy" when bill was here in dallas, that shit got old quick)... i agree you dont need a franchise qb to win in this league, but if you have one it makes it a helluva lot easier... and to only give up a second to get one?... gravy in my opinion, and then they got a true leader for their defense along with it... this trade kinda reminds me of memphis sending pau gasol to the lakers... jerry west the old laker kinda helping out his old team, sounds similiar to the patriots helping out scott... anyway, good discussion retail, thats what i like about this website

Guiness
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM

I was going to post something similar...I think Cassel went relatively cheaply - they got a starting QB who has shown he can get it done in the NFL for a 2nd round draft choice, and they got a decent defensive player while they were at it. When you think back to the trade Wolf made for Favre, it was for a guy who had done more to prove he couldn't play in the NFL than to prove he could, and it was for a first round choice, 15 picks higher than what KC gave up. You want examples of 'risking it all'? See Walker, Herschel.

KC made a good trade.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Let’s hope this guy doesn't wind up with the lions or bears or even worse the vikes. Cutler is a very good QB and Denver was dumb to be looking to replace one of their best players instead of looking to get better on defense.

mission
03-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Let’s hope this guy doesn't wind up with the lions or bears or even worse the vikes. Cutler is a very good QB and Denver was dumb to be looking to replace one of their best players instead of looking to get better on defense.

I don' t think he will now. They just thought they could upgrade the spot with Cassell and it went the other way... now they're stuck with their pants down and an embarrassing case of whiskey dick.

Guiness
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Lots of love for Cutler here. I'm don't much like the guy's play, think he's more Boller than Favre, so I don't blame them for trying.

Sucks for them that they attempt failed, and word got out - but it was a three team deal, it was bound to happen.

Pugger
03-01-2009, 03:26 PM
When I first heard the donkeys were trying to trade Cutler I was surprised. Why would they want to dump a pretty decent young QB? Maybe this kid is a head case/pain in the rear in the lockerroom? :?:

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Maybe this kid is a head case/pain in the rear in the lockerroom? :?:

He's certainly shown a reasonable degree of immaturity/douchebaggery on the field. I don't know if he's significantly easier to deal with off the field.

Partial
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM

He's certainly shown a reasonable degree of immaturity/douchebaggery on the field. I don't know if he's significantly easier to deal with off the field.

such as?

mission
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM

such as?

Him and Rivers going back and forth like a couple drunk forum posters ... ???

Not sure how you could miss that. The media played those clips every week it seemed.

Joemailman
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM

You were saying????
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17730/report_vikings_interested_in_cutler

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-02-2009, 04:50 PM

You were saying????
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17730/report_vikings_interested_in_cutler

:( If the vikes get him they are the best team in the division by far.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't see it happening. They liked Cassel, but they would be getting what they think is a good QB in return for Cutler. Getting Jackson or Rosenfels back in a deal with the Vikings will make it a lot less likely to happen.

vince
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not a Cutler fan, but the Broncos need a quarterback if they're going to get rid of Cutler... I didn't read the article, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in what the Vikes can give me in return for Cutler.

Partial
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM

You were saying????

Yep. Especially if they find a way to land Housyamama too.

mission
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM

You were saying????

Yep. Especially if they find a way to land Housyamama too.

I think Seattle *just* signed him.

Joemailman
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it would make more sense for Detroit to go after Cutler. They could give up the 1st and 3rd they stole from Dallas for him and still have their own picks to build with.