PDA

View Full Version : Long Haul: Who would you rather have, ARod or Another QB?

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
This topic was just dying to get started...

First off, Snake laughed his ass off on the Sage QB topic with the heated argument about ARod being average and the other QB's some other's had stated are SO much better. I'm not calling anyone out, yet find great opinions and stats on PackerRats you can't get in competing forums, so it was time for a topic. This is sure to be a big one, as that poor Sage QB topic got toasted with this stuff.
:)
Personally, Snake was skeptical, yet still had faith in young Arod, but didn't believe he'd do as good as he did statistically in 2008 for GB. The wins weren't there, but it is hard to blame the man, as he did well with accuracy, yards, TD's, etc. as his only fallback was late game comebacks. That shit comes with experience as it WAS his first year on the helm starting at QB, and he proved to me he was a tough SOB, playing all 16 games.

4000+ yards, 28 TD's, 13 picks....Pretty nuts numbers for a 1st year starter, but Snake feels his best is yet to come, as he's a damn smart SOB with upside.

No way would I pick a QB in 2009 if I had the chance with ARod at the helm (whether it's Harrell...love that kid or Sanchez {where did he become an elite QB to be after 1 year at USC} to take his spot as that shit is a gamble), and don't feel there is anyway we need to "upgrade" the starting position at QB.

Snake's Take:

To summarize briefly, I feel there is no QB in the NFL right now I'd rather have after 2008 for the long haul (there are great QB's that I'd take for fantasy football in 2009-2010, but no way I'd take them based on age/injuries vs. what we have right now for long term success).

The Sage QB thread turned into some surreal "debate" if you can call it that :roll: but after some analysis and long-term scheming, who would you rather have in a few years than the RodMan himself? Anyone on this list?? Those are the best QB's right now, so would you want someone else at this point for the future. Snake's been wrong in the past, so I challenge someone to make a case for someone other than ARod long term as QB anywhere on the planet......Still waiting. Go!! LOL.

Vote away, as I'm sure it gets pretty good as Snake's got beers aplenty for anyone that wants one....as this will get interesting. :D

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 12:31 AM
I had to limit my choices to the guys who have a lot of football ahead of them, so it's pretty much Rodgers, Romo, Cutler, and Rivers. Both Rivers and Cutler strike me as, pardon my french, douchebags so I wouldn't either of them as "the guy I want to cheer for" even though of all the young QBs, Cutler may well project to having the best career. Romo has absolutely no leadership ability whatsoever, so I have to exclude him.

By process of elimination, I have to say Rodgers then. If I really desperately wanted to win a QB in the next 2 years a Peyton would be good, but if I'm going to be picking which of these guys is going to be at the helm, I'd prefer not to have somebody who could retire at any point in the next two years.

I'm totally comfortable with Rodgers at QB.

mission
03-01-2009, 12:34 AM

That.

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 12:36 AM
ok... i'll bite... hoping not to get my head bit off but here i go... i chose AR for a couple of reasons:

a) hes not old = hes young (takes alot of the other qbs off the list)

b) hes got just as much talent on the 'O' side of the ball as any of the other young talent guys on the list.

c) although he is young he has been in the same system for a number of years, and doesn't have to keep learning different offensive schemes

d) has talent, put up good numbers in his first year and i don't see why he can't improve with more experience

there are more reasons i'm just getting tired seeing as its 1230 down here in dallas... night YA'LL!

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 12:39 AM
oh i forgot about

e) i'm a GB packer fan and its possible that i'm a bit biased... I SAID POSSIBLY NOT A CERTAINTY!!!

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
I had to limit my choices to the guys who have a lot of football ahead of them, so it's pretty much Rodgers, Romo, Cutler, and Rivers. Both Rivers and Cutler strike me as, pardon my french, douchebags so I wouldn't either of them as "the guy I want to cheer for" even though of all the young QBs, Cutler may well project to having the best career. Romo has absolutely no leadership ability whatsoever, so I have to exclude him.

By process of elimination, I have to say Rodgers then. If I really desperately wanted to win a QB in the next 2 years a Peyton would be good, but if I'm going to be picking which of these guys is going to be at the helm, I'd prefer not to have somebody who could retire at any point in the next two years.

Snake feels Romo is douche too, as Snake feels Jessica Simpson is a make-up queen and annoying/dumb as hell. Can't stand her, and Romo (according to reports was whooped on her)...Regardless he regressed at QB and Snake could care less who the QB is fucking, but Romo's leadership is poor, and ARod showed a ton of nuts after the Favre mess just manning up and not blaming anyone, and leading the team. 6-10 sucks, but other than late game comeback (which is statistically poor to do regardless) he did a hell of a job as a leader.

Rivers seems a bit immature, but I wouldn't mind the guy. He's uber-tough, but seems like he let's shit bother him and talks like a 16 year old at times. Talented and tough again. Snake likes tough QB's as was a HUGE Favre fan for years, till he showed his lack of maturity at 38-39. Regardless, Snake don't care about River's "doucheness" so much that his knees are rotten in his mid-20's else Snake would prob. choose Rivers over ARod right now. Despite Arod's knack of injury proneness, he DID start all 16 games last year in 2008 despite a bum shoulder. Tough cat...Snake likes ARod after 2008.

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 12:49 AM
ok... i'll bite... hoping not to get my head bit off but here i go... i chose AR for a couple of reasons:

b) hes got just as much talent on the 'O' side of the ball as any of the other young talent guys on the list.

c) although he is young he has been in the same system for a number of years, and doesn't have to keep learning different offensive schemes

d) has talent, put up good numbers in his first year and i don't see why he can't improve with more experience

there are more reasons i'm just getting tired seeing as its 1230 down here in dallas... night YA'LL!

So what's up with Romo? Loved him a year ago. Is a product of the system or did he let that ho JSimp get his shit mixed up? (Anyone see here late nite acne infommercials...she's skanky ass ho..not smart either...equals Snake thinks he had a few hotter and much smarter than Dallas' starting QB, but NeWay) He's got talent, but doubt his arm could handle ARod right now. The thing that lit me up on ARod/and made me think he's top notch QB were 2 things I didn't know in 2008. His fast release/lightning cannon arm (looked poor in Snake's eyes from 2005-2007) and his leadership/toughness in playing all 16 games when many (including Snake) didn't think he'd last a full season. Snake's all aboard the Arod train now though bro!

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 01:26 AM

So what's up with Romo? Loved him a year ago. Is a product of the system or did he let that ho JSimp get his shit mixed up? He's got talent, but doubt his arm could handle ARod right now. The thing that lit me up on ARod were 2 things I didn't know in 2008. His fast release/lightning cannon arm (looked poor in Snake's eyes from 2005-2007) and his leadership/toughness in playing all 16 games when many (including Snake) didn't think he'd last a full season. Snake's all aboard the Arod train now though bro!

i think one of the things wrong with Romo is that A-hole TO he has as a reciever... when the s.o.b. rounds up the other recievers on the roster and has secret meetings about Romo and Witten, its bound to get under a guys skin... i don't think Jason Garrett was able to change his offense either when teams were able to watch film and game-plan against them...

i also believe that team has NO leadership whatsoever... i rejoiced the day Jerry brought in that 'yes man' wade phillips, aka Porky Pig... the man can do wonders for a defense and i actually wanted Jerry to fire him so we could bring him in as the D cooridinator... but as a head coach the guy has no 'huevos', (partialy Wades fault and partialy Jerrys fault) for example earlier in the year he wanted to raise the fine for players for different offenses against the team but Jerry wouldn't let him do it... WTF??? way to cut the legs out from under your head coach... lol... Jerry Jones = the new and improved Al Davis... HAHA... but hey thats just my opinion... texaspackerbacker might see things differently... i'd ask him too b/c he has decent opinions on the goings on in BIG D!!

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 01:38 AM

So what's up with Romo? Loved him a year ago. Is a product of the system or did he let that ho JSimp get his shit mixed up? He's got talent, but doubt his arm could handle ARod right now. The thing that lit me up on ARod were 2 things I didn't know in 2008. His fast release/lightning cannon arm (looked poor in Snake's eyes from 2005-2007) and his leadership/toughness in playing all 16 games when many (including Snake) didn't think he'd last a full season. Snake's all aboard the Arod train now though bro!

i think one of the things wrong with Romo is that A-hole TO he has as a reciever... when the s.o.b. rounds up the other recievers on the roster and has secret meetings about Romo and Witten, its bound to get under a guys skin... i don't think Jason Garrett was able to change his offense either when teams were able to watch film and game-plan against them...

i also believe that team has NO leadership whatsoever... i rejoiced the day Jerry brought in that 'yes man' wade phillips, aka Porky Pig... the man can do wonders for a defense and i actually wanted Jerry to fire him so we could bring him in as the D cooridinator... but as a head coach the guy has no 'huevos', (partialy Wades fault and partialy Jerrys fault) for example earlier in the year he wanted to raise the fine for players for different offenses against the team but Jerry wouldn't let him do it... WTF??? way to cut the legs out from under your head coach... lol... Jerry Jones = the new and improved Al Davis... HAHA... but hey thats just my opinion... texaspackerbacker might see things differently... i'd ask him too b/c he has decent opinions on the goings on in BIG D!!

Definitely don't disagree..Snake laughed his ass off on the commute work this morn when ESPN radio made a good point about Jerry Jone's "gag" order about the T. Owens mess. Would Romo get "fired" if he talked about it? Would Parcells put up with that shit? NO. Wade does, and it doesn't take a genious esp. after watching that "Hard Knocks Dallas Training Camp Special"on ESPN last summer to know, that Jerry runs it, but "who runnin' it?"...No one. Romo is not a leader, and back on topic, would not want him as my long term QB, as he's a deece guy, but long on the tooth for skanks like JSimp and didn't defuse that shit with TO. That's on the owner though....a gag order? Snake says please...Snake would say what's up witha Nazi general asking what's up? Fuck JJ. And TO is s botch ass batch. Romo has no clue. Plus his arm is wack compared to ARod....Man I was impressed with that dude's arm strength in 2008. Bullets...lasers...This is why the future is Arod.

mission
03-01-2009, 01:41 AM
You can't really use the word "douchebag" and refer to yourself in the third person (in the same post)...

Just sayin :lol:

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 01:47 AM
You can't really use the word "douchebag" and refer to yourself in the third person (in the same post)...

Snake disagrees as douches....arghhh...... :shock: :cry:

LOL, ask fritz and sharpe and many others, they like the 3rd person Snake as of the last 24 hours. Oh well. It's about ARod. I don't and thank you mission for getting Snake back on topic, think many can, or anyone make a valid argument for a better long term QB than ARod...Oops...forgot the purpose of the thread. Cue the Sage QB topic....Yo Partial, where you at player? :shock: :cry: :lol: 8-)

mission
03-01-2009, 01:57 AM

LOL, ask fritz and sharpe and many others, they like the 3rd person Snake as of the last 24 hours. Oh well. It's about ARod. I don't and thank you mission for getting Snake back on topic, think many can, or anyone make a valid argument for a better long term QB than ARod...Oops...forgot the purpose of the thread. Cue the Sage QB topic....Yo Partial, where you at player? :shock: :cry: :lol: 8-)

Yeah, Partial's really our only hope for this thread. It was a no brainer for me and the vote's looking like that too...

SnakeLH2006
03-01-2009, 02:06 AM

Yeah, Partial's really our only hope for this thread. It was a no brainer for me and the vote's looking like that too...

So are you saying a Brett Favre vote for long term solution at QB is imminent? As that is asinine Snake says. 10 votes Arod vs. No One Else??. Who is better then????? Oh wait. Probably will happen yet.... :roll: :lol:

mraynrand
03-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Eli is probably the best competition. Guy had a tremendous run last year and 1/2. Big Ben just plays well when it really counts, just wins, Hard to watch at other times. Sky is the limit for Rodgers tho...

3irty1
03-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Its tough to find a better longterm QB situation than Green Bay's however I was the guy who voted for Matt Ryan. Ryan is already in the same league as Rodgers and he was just a rookie. That's what I call being set long term.

sheepshead
03-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Did I just stumble into a fantasy football forum?

Joemailman
03-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Long haul it really came down to Arod, Flacco and Ryan. The fact that Arod handled the whole Favre situation as well as he did last year was very impressive to me, and that's who I went with. Eli is still pretty young and healthy, but the fact that the Giants struggled so much after losing Burress is a red flag to me.

KYPack
03-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Long haul it really came down to Arod, Flacco and Ryan. The fact that Arod handled the whole Favre situation as well as he did last year was very impressive to me, and that's who I went with. Eli is still pretty young and healthy, but the fact that the Giants struggled so much after losing Burress is a red flag to me.

Winner Winner
No Chicken Dinner (Somebody might get me for false advertising)

Joe, you stole my post before I could write it

ARod is my choice for the haul, but you can't deny the two Super Rookies. Flacco and Ryan are light years ahead of Rodgers in terms of Rookie years. We still have to watch both of those kids in their soph pro year.

With Arod, we have a solid guy in place for many years.

In Flacco and Ryan we have two potential special guys. I think both of 'em could be HOFers. No Kiddin'.

Pugger
03-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Did Flacco and Ryan have better defenses to back them up than Rodgers had last season? :?:

imscott72
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I wanna know who Partial votes for.. :lol:

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Did Flacco and Ryan have better defenses to back them up than Rodgers had last season? :?:

i'd say "GIVE ME A HELL YEAH!"

Mazzin
03-01-2009, 12:13 PM
I just had a quick ?....Am i missing something? Why does snake refer to himself in the third person??

Joemailman
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Joemailman thinks Snake does that because it makes the babes inquisitive. :D

Mazzin
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Well joe your aviator does not lie my friend :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM

But than they don't have the wr's Rodgers does though. All three are very good though. The only QB in the league I would take over Rodgers is probably Matt Ryan, but am more than happy with Rodgers.

imscott72
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I just had a quick ?....Am i missing something? Why does snake refer to himself in the third person??

I asked that the other day, but didn't get a response. Scott thinks Snake is ignoring him.

BZnDallas
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM

But than they don't have the wr's Rodgers does though. All three are very good though. The only QB in the league I would take over Rodgers is probably Matt Ryan, but am more than happy with Rodgers.

i agree and with the exception of DD those wrs are the same age or younger than AR so he will have them to throw to for years to come... (as long as TT gets the deal done with GJ which i think will happen)

Guiness
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I went with Rodgers as well, he just has too good a combination of youth and promise - and delivered on a fair amount of that promise.

Other serious considerations would have to be Eli and Rivers. Don't know what to make of Ryan, and I don't think Flacco is all that. The team got those wins, his stats in a lot of the games were not stellar - so far just a game manager.

KYPack
03-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Snake is a little off.

He's a good boy.

He's got the opposite of paranoia.

He thinks he's following somebody.

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Bretsky says we've got a bunch of homers

cpk1994
03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Bretsky says we've got a bunch of homersCPK says that Bretsky has cursed too many players and that we shouldn't believe him. :lol:

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Bretsky says we've got a bunch of homersCPK says that Bretsky has cursed too many players and that we shouldn't believe him. :lol:

Bretsky agrees with cpk and notes it's a good thing his choice would be Matt Ryan because if I get on the AROD Wagon too soon he might become a drug addict and get his career ruined

Partial
03-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Bretsky says we've got a bunch of homers

Yep.

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Why aren't people considering Big Ben ? Dude is a proven winner and young

cpk1994
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Bretsky agrees with cpk and notes it's a good thing his choice would be Matt Ryan because if I get on the AROD Wagon too soon he might become a drug addict and get his career ruinedSee, now you are using the curse to the Packers benefit. :lol:

MadtownPacker
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
IMO this really comes down to ARod and Ryan. Flacco was supported by a killer, not good, killer defense. While he came up big when needed he wasnt the guiding light. Ryan though set things off when he did big things like throw a TD on his first pass and win on the road a Lambeau. He did much more then Flacco and I really dont see how they can be compared.

Arod though, damn, he should be the easy choice. Put up outstanding numbers for any QB but just couldn't close it out on several games. He wasn't left much room to work with the way the defense gave up untimely late TDs in many of those game. He will only get better though and hopefully so will the defense. As long as he stays healthy he will be good. He has excellent WRs and will continue to thanks to that being TTs midas touch in the draft.

Just barely, and it might be homerism, Im going with Rodgers. If somehow TT lets Jennings get away I might change my mind.

Partial
03-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Depends how you look at it. Would you trade one super bowl for 5 years of mediocrity? Perhaps.

Longterm there are plenty of QBs who look to be the real deal who are still young, and I'm not sure Rodgers is part of the premiere crowd.

For one game, or one season (NFL teams don't have the luxury of planning for the long term future, that gets you fired), there are a huge amount of QBs I'd take.

cpk1994
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
IMO this really comes down to ARod and Ryan. Flacco was supported by a killer, not good, killer defense. While he came up big when needed he wasnt the guiding light. Ryan though set things off when he did big things like throw a TD on his first pass and win on the road a Lambeau. He did much more then Flacco and I really dont see how they can be compared.

Arod though, damn, he should be the easy choice. Put up outstanding numbers for any QB but just couldn't close it out on several games. He wasn't left much room to work with the way the defense gave up untimely late TDs in many of those game. He will only get better though and hopefully so will the defense. As long as he stays healthy he will be good. He has excellent WRs and will continue to thanks to that being TTs midas touch in the draft.

Just barely, and it might be homerism, Im going with Rodgers. If somehow TT lets Jennings get away I might change my mind.I got to the word killer and I assumed you were talking about Ray Lewis. Then I read the rest of the post. :oops:

Joemailman
03-01-2009, 02:02 PM

Short term he'd be the guy. I have some doubts about him long term because of some of the punishment he's taken.

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 02:07 PM

With the abuse he takes, he may not be in for a long career. Eventually, he's going to look at his millions of dollars and several rings, and recall the beatings he has taken and will continue to take and just call it. I know Pittsburgh doesn't have a good OL, but the way he plays he doesn't do anything to minimize getting the hell beat out of him.

FritzDontBlitz
03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Aaron Rodgers and a veteran backup in case Rodgers goes down due to injury.

BallHawk
03-01-2009, 05:29 PM
The poll is too narrow. I'd need more choices to be able to truly make up my mind.

Joemailman
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
The poll is too narrow. I'd need more choices to be able to truly make up my mind.

It's okay. You can vote for Grossman. Just click other.

Cheesehead Craig
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm a big fan of Big Ben. He's a great QB that gets overlooked pretty easily.

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Joemailman thinks Snake does that because it makes the babes inquisitive. :D

Snake endorses this post. :D

NEwayz...Bretsky, I do agree Big Ben is a great leader/QB, but I doubt he'd be around in 5 years as effectively as he is now. Love the guy, but the punishment he takes, precludes me from selecting him.

Some suggesting Flacco, and Snake agress with Mad about the killer comment (I thought it was Ray Lewis too, when I read it), but he does not look the part of big-time franchise QB with the insane D he's been given.

I did like Cutler, till the story broke about his shit with Denver. He's an immature goof fighting with Rivers (another goof with talent). Plus those Sporting News articles where he says he has the best arm EVER (Snake will gloat, but even in his shoes, it looks foolish to say he's better than Brett and Elway in their primes.....he said that).

Matt Ryan...tough to say. I love the kids skills and leadership in a rook season.

It comes down to GB for now longterm. If we acquired Cutler, Flacco (fuck that), or Ryan...I'd still go with ARod because he looks at ease with the Packers system. There were a few considerations, but goes back to ARod cuz of knowing the system. If he can only duplicate his statistical QB success (and increase his wins, which is a given I hope) we can't hope for much more from our QB now or 5 years from now.

BTW, hey we are dying to know, Partial who did you vote for? You never stated it? Pray tell? :D

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Sorry..double post. :oops:

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Also...Snake is surprised 2 voted for Rivers....What makes you think he'd be a better QB in 4-5 years than Arod.

Facts:

1) Arod has a cannon arm (couldn't believe it in 2005-2007) but seen it 2008, unlike Rivers.

2) Rivers is a whiny bitch. Could sport articles/media....but nuff said.

3) His knees are bad...Slightly older than Arod or even same age....his knees will spelll doom shortly.

4) Immaturity....After reading reports on Arod...thought I'd see the same in GB, but no....he's been a cannon for maturity and leadership.

5) Rivers is a bitchboy....wait already posted that.

Who with balky knees....at a similar age wants Rivers? C'mon...a small % of the polll...Everyone sees ARod knows our system.......who wants a new QB much less thinks one is that much better.

Snake scoffs at Eli wannabee's...garbage............. as that kid is no leader. Imagine Arod with that D??? Nuff said.

SnakeLH2006
03-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Wow..32-11 for Arod.

Hopefully this stops the bitching for another QB (somehow Snake doubts it though).

BF4MVP
03-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Slightly older than Arod or even same age
He's quite a bit older than Rodgers..Born 12/8/1981..Rodgers was born 12/2/1983 so Rivers is very close to two full years older.