PDA

View Full Version : Giants Sign Canty

mission
03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
:cry:

Giants Sign Canty For $42 Million

From Adam Schefter of NFL.com:

New York continues making bold moves to shore up its defense.

One day after signing defensive tackle Rocky Bernard and linebacker Michael Bolley, the Giants signed free-agent defensive end Chris Canty to a six-year, $42 million contract that includes $17.25 million in guaranteed money. Now Dallas’ loss is New York’s gain.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty, and Green Bay was trying to arrange for him to visit the Packers. But Canty did not want to leave New York, nor the East Coast, and Sunday afternoon he took the Giants offer.

The Giants have gotten defensive. Again.

mission
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Now what?

We are THIN.

red
03-01-2009, 04:02 PM
from what i've read it sounded like TT didn't try and do shit

which is BS, because it sure sounds like the packers wanted him, and the price wasn't bad.

thats a shame, we better get igor. and TT better get on the phone with igor, not TT's minions. thats TT's job

red
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Now what?

We are THIN.

we're less then thin

we have exactly 1 nt, when we need a two man rotation. and we have an often injured DE, when we need 3 or 4

retailguy
03-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Now what?

We are THIN.

The draft is coming up in April. We'll be the youngest team 5 years running...

Don't worry. It's all good. And, Igor hasn't signed yet.

mission
03-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Well we need to get that fool on the phone then... I'm pretty disappointed needless to say.

retailguy
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Well we need to get that fool on the phone then... I'm pretty disappointed needless to say.

Yeah, that's fair. Me too. But you know, this is normal operation. You kind of get numb after a while. I kinda knew that we weren't going to get him. Hoped I was wrong, but there were too many good things said about the guy. You just knew it wasn't meant to be.

It's a damn good thing Ted can draft... Because there isn't very much else. You can't win them all, thats for sure, but you know, this team needs more than rookies and low end free agents.... (that's my opinion anyhow.)

gbpackfan
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
That sucks. But Canty wanted to play in NY and made no attempt to even set up a visit to GB. What were the Packers going to do, sign him to a 45 million dollar contract without talking to him in person or giving him a physical? Come on guys! Canty grew up in NY, he wanted to play there. Let's move on.

But TT does need to shore up the D-Line. Draft A DT in the 1st or 2nd and sign Igor. End of story.

red
03-01-2009, 04:11 PM

don't hold your breath

just when you start to think that maybe TT is ok, he shows why he isn't

the stuff i read this morning made my opinion of him come crashing back to earth.

canty's agent said he was trying to get a hold of TT this moring and couldn'd. and he also said that he hadn't talked to ted at all about canty. he must have been talking to someone else in the organization because someone was very interested in the guy and was trying to get him, but it wasn't tt

TT is like the little shy scarred boy in high school that is too scared to ask the hot girl out that likes him

he's hiding in his shell

mission
03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Naw you guys are right. I definitely don't put this on TT ... NYC is the greatest city in America to live in if you're a millionaire. I love it there ... don't blame the guy.

Igor and a BJ sounds like something we (I) need right now... I might have to call up a "friend" :lol:

red
03-01-2009, 04:12 PM
That sucks. But Canty wanted to play in NY and made no attempt to even set up a visit to GB. What were the Packers going to do, sign him to a 45 million dollar contract without talking to him in person or giving him a physical? Come on guys! Canty grew up in NY, he wanted to play there. Let's move on.

But TT does need to shore up the D-Line. Draft A DT in the 1st or 2nd and sign Igor. End of story.

his agent said he had been trying to get in touch with TT, but TT wouldn't talk to him

retailguy
03-01-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's about "blame". It is the way he operates and what he believes.

He's definitely got the courage of his convictions, and for a while at the end of 2007 I was becoming a believer. Maybe I will be again this season? Maybe Ted's "luck" only manifests itself in "odd numbered years". :wink:

We've got another week before I think we sign anyone, and then it'll be all about "depth" until the draft. After that, who knows?

I just don't know who plays the line this year. I guess we've got Kampy if it gets really thin.

That being said, losing Cole wasn't that much of a loss. but he's better than a rookie with little experience or a street free agent, but worth 5mil? Nope.

that's just the new NFL... good and bad.

BallHawk
03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
his agent said he had been trying to get in touch with TT, but TT wouldn't talk to him

But Canty did not want to leave New York, nor the East Coast, and Sunday afternoon he took the Giants offer.

Just in case you didn't read it the first time.

red
03-01-2009, 04:19 PM
well if we don't get igor then we almost have to reach a little and draft tyson jackson, because we have no one to start at the other DE spot, and not much out there other then olshansky that can start at de in a 3-4

red
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM

But Canty did not want to leave New York, nor the East Coast, and Sunday afternoon he took the Giants offer.

and you had proof?

TT wouldn't even fucking talk to the agent on the phone, why would they come here?

retailguy
03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Ballhawk, yeah, it's pretty clear they were using (or trying) to use GB to boost the offer. But that isn't what it's about for me.

I'm a little bothered that he "didn't want to really come to GB". Didn't use to be that way, and that's concerning to me.

Ted's "mode of operation" is clear to more than just the folks in this forum. Makes the "possibility" of landing a free agent more difficult (and expensive) than it already is.

People always laud Ted with high praises for Charles Woodson, but from what I recall, Charles didn't have a bunch of options. The market was cooling, and the "best" other offer he had was playing Safety in Tampa...

When there's nothing else on the table, folks visit Green Bay. Until then, well not so much... That makes me kind of sad.

Fred's Slacks
03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Why does he have to contact TT? Obviously someone representing the Packers was in contact with him. They knew we wanted him in for a visit. They were just trying to leverage a better offer from the Giants. They had no intention of signing with us, I feel pretty confident about that now.

gbpackfan
03-01-2009, 04:25 PM

and you had proof?

TT wouldn't even fucking talk to the agent on the phone, why would they come here?

Red,

Why would TT negotiate New York's contract for them? It was obvious to everyone, except you, that Canty wanted to play for NY and his agent was using the Packers to get a better deal. Period. Why wouldn't Canty schedule a visit? Why wouldn't he take a physical. Come on man, you know better!

However, I am not a TT apologist. The man has proven to be nothing but a lame duck in free agency. How long can he live off his Charles Woodson signing?

The D needs help and he, so far, has failed to secure an impact player. And if history tells us anything, he won't.

retailguy
well if we don't get igor then we almost have to reach a little and draft tyson jackson, because we have no one to start at the other DE spot, and not much out there other then olshansky that can start at de in a 3-4

What about Justin harrell? :shock:

Red, put the gun down. It'll be ok. :P

Chevelle2
The problem, according to a person close to the situation, is that the feeling may not be mutual. “[Co-director of football operations] Reggie McKenzie spent all day trying to set up a visit, but [agent] Brad Blank refused to commit,” said the source. “That tells me that the Packers are not at the top of Canty’s wish list. I think he wants to play for the Giants and I’d be surprised if he’s still on the market 48 hours from now.”

Partial
03-01-2009, 04:26 PM
If Cole got 4 mil a year, I'd say Canty deserves 6.5. All things considered, they got him at a cheaper price than I would have thought. I expected 8.5 a year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
If Cole got 4 mil a year, I'd say Canty deserves 6.5. All things considered, they got him at a cheaper price than I would have thought. I expected 8.5 a year.

If we wanted him we probably needed to offer 8.5 million to bring him here.

pittstang5
03-01-2009, 04:30 PM
TT makes the decision and if he really wanted Canty, he'd been balls out to get this guy...but he wasn't, so what does that tell you......he wasn't going to get into a bidding war to get him.

Partial
03-01-2009, 04:30 PM

If we wanted him we probably needed to offer 8.5 million to bring him here.

And thats way too much. I might have done 7. Time to pony up and try to get Olshansky for 5.5

hoosier
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM

and you had proof?

:lol: And what proof do you have that TT "wouldn't even talk to his agent on the phone"? Because Bedard reports that Canty's agent said so? You're going to look silly if you start basing your impressions of the Packers management purely on what agents say in the heat of the moment--as if the agent's job was to report the truth and not start bidding wars between teams for his client.

It looks to me like Canty didn't have much interest in leaving NYC. Maybe it's because they knew TT wasn't going to beat the Giants offer. Or mabye because he has no interest in playing in Green Bay and was just trying to use TT to up the Giants offer. We'll never know. But I can't say I blame TT for not jumping at the chance to offer more than the Giants for a decent but not great DE, and sight unseen no less. If the Capers defense is going to be successful it won't be because it has high paid superstars at DE. Solid DL play is important, but Canty isn't the only one around who can offer that. Signing him for a reasonable price would have been nice, but it wasn't in the cards. BFD.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
What sucks is the best team the NFC keeps getting better. Their D-line is loaded in a big way. I expect them to have one of the best defenses in the league next year.

red
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Why does he have to contact TT? Obviously someone representing the Packers was in contact with him. They knew we wanted him in for a visit. They were just trying to leverage a better offer from the Giants. They had no intention of signing with us, I feel pretty confident about that now.

because thats TT's fucking job thats why

to me thats looks like a huge lack of respect when the main person in charge can't pick up the phone for a few minutes and instead gets a second tier guy to try and do it all

way to woo the player

Partial
03-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Dude, stop overreacting. IMO the difference between him and Igor isn't nearly as big as the money would suggest. Canty is going to get more because his market is bigger with his versatility to play inside and his height, but I don't think he's that much better of a player than Olshansky.

I told you guys, I had a dream where we locked up Olshansky last night. It's going to happen.

mission
03-01-2009, 04:37 PM

to me thats looks like a huge lack of respect when the main person in charge can't pick up the phone for a few minutes and instead gets a second tier guy to try and do it all

way to woo the player

When I did sales, my boss always wanted me to call his clients to make him seem more important. It always put them back a bit and I always felt like it fucked things up...

red
03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Dude, stop overreacting. IMO the difference between him and Igor isn't nearly as big as the money would suggest. Canty is going to get more because his market is bigger with his versatility to play inside and his height, but I don't think he's that much better of a player than Olshansky.

I told you guys, I had a dream where we locked up Olshansky last night. It's going to happen.

well we damn well better get him in to town ASAP

if we don't get him, then we have major issues going into this season IMO

packers11
03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Lavar Arrington 2.0???

Wanted to play with the Giants and not GB?

Partial
03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
well we damn well better get him in to town ASAP

if we don't get him, then we have major issues going into this season IMO

I agree with that. They certainly had awful depth last year on the DL, and its certainly not looking any better with Cole gone. Cole was a decent enough back-up, I guess.

mission
03-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Hopefully Partial's dream is right ... I mean, that sounds like a good basis for *something* :lol:

Fred's Slacks
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM

way to woo the player

I guess I've never read his job responsibilities but I really don't think it's his job to set up player visits. So what if it looks better if he calls. BFD. I'm pretty sure that the fact that Ball called instead of TT isn't the reason Canty isn't a Packer. If he wanted to play here and we offered more money, he'd be here regardless of if TT called or someone else. It's a lame excuse.

KYPack
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Hopefully Partial's dream is right ... I mean, that sounds like a good basis for *something* :lol:

Mission!

What happened?

You were watching Canty. I went out to walk the dogs. When I got back from the woods, I heard he got by ya somehow.

Canty was one I wanted. We need some help to flesh out that front 7 and we will need at least one vet FA to do it.

The Giants sign two DL's. That Reese is a pretty sharp GM.

Is Igor our guy or what?

mission
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Mission!

What happened?

You were watching Canty. I went out to walk the dogs. When I got back from the woods, I heard he got by ya somehow.

Canty was one I wanted. We need some help to flesh out that front 7 and we will need at least one vet FA to do it.

Is Igor our guy or what?

Bruh -- I FINALLY got Canty's agent on the phone and had my best TT impersonation going but he wasn't buying it. 404 number and all that ... :huh:

MJZiggy
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Lavar Arrington 2.0???

Arrington wanted to stick it to Wash. and if you're looking for the bright lights, you go to NYC. If you want unequaled adoration, you go to Green Bay.

packers11
03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Lavar Arrington 2.0???

Arrington wanted to stick it to Wash. and if you're looking for the bright lights, you go to NYC. If you want unequaled adoration, you go to Green Bay.

Well I made the comparison because Dallas is indeed in the same division also... He can 'stick it' to them twice a year...

KYPack
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Bruh -- I FINALLY got Canty's agent on the phone and had my best TT impersonation going but he wasn't buying it. 404 number and all that ... :huh:

OIC.

Waddya gonna do?

We've got to land one (is two dreaming?) vet FA & a couple kids to give us a good front 7. I think we need an end and a NT from FA/the draft. Igor may have to do. He's a question mark. Canty seemed like a guy you can plug in.

The Giants should have a brutal DL again this season.

Packnut
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
It's mind-boggling the amount of excuses made for Thompson. Man, when do you guys say enough is enough? I mean seriously, do we have to have another 6-10 season? 2 more? 3 more? I mean when do you finally get pissed off? Other teams make bold moves. Other teams fit large player salaries into their cap. Why do we sit year after year in the Thompson regime and we get NOTHING?

Thompson should have had HIS ASS on the phone at 12:00:01 of the start of free agency and freakin begged Canty's agent for a visit or Scott's agent. Anyone who watched this defense last season, who thinks they can stop anyone just by going to the 3-4 is football wise freakin brain dead!

rbaloha1
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=238

Igor signed with the Texans.

TT can not win with some of you guys. If Canty signs with the Packers -- TT overpaid. Now that we missed Canty -- TT is a wimp.

Waldo
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I would still rather have Peppers.

mission
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM

TT can not win with some of you guys. If Canty signs with the Packers -- TT overpaid. Now that we missed Canty -- TT is a wimp.

That's the Detroit QB homie... not Igor...

Although I'm definitely not holding my breath on him either ...

westcoastpacker
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
according to National Post they did offer more money!

Breaking: Packers Making Push For Canty

The Green Bay Packers are making a hard push to acquire free agent defensive end Chris Canty, according to sources close to the situation.

The Packers are currently talking to Canty’s agent and at the moment, have put more money on the table then the New York Giants.

So TT did try but you can only do so much.

Waldo
03-01-2009, 05:06 PM

That is the QB Dan Orlavsky

Not DE Igor Olshansky

BallHawk
03-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Well, thank God we didn't that guy. :lol:

Fred's Slacks
03-01-2009, 05:10 PM
It's mind-boggling the amount of excuses made for Thompson. Man, when do you guys say enough is enough? I mean seriously, do we have to have another 6-10 season? 2 more? 3 more? I mean when do you finally get pissed off? Other teams make bold moves. Other teams fit large player salaries into their cap. Why do we sit year after year in the Thompson regime and we get NOTHING?

Thompson should have had HIS ASS on the phone at 12:00:01 of the start of free agency and freakin begged Canty's agent for a visit or Scott's agent. Anyone who watched this defense last season, who thinks they can stop anyone just by going to the 3-4 is football wise freakin brain dead!

I might say enough is enough if we hadn't been 13-3 before 6-10. It was one guy. If we go into the season and the Dline proves to be crappy, I'll jump on your ship. Until then, I'll let the man work.

Fred's Slacks
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM

Well, thank God we didn't that guy. :lol:

Another good reason to bring a guy in for a visit before negotiating. :lol:

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Not DE Igor Olshansky

Orlovsky may have caused more safeties last year than Olshansky though, possibly more sacks as well...

red
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Not DE Igor Olshansky

Orlovsky may have caused more safeties last year than Olshansky though, possibly more sacks as well...

lol

Pugger
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I feel used! :doh: Canty had no intention of coming to GB and he used us to up the ante in NY. So if Canty wants to be a rotational D lineman and stick it to Dallas twice a year instead of probably STARTING at Lambeau it is HIS loss, not ours!

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I feel used! :doh: Canty had no intention of coming to GB and he used us to up the ante in NY. So if Canty wants to be a rotational D lineman and stick it to Dallas twice a year instead of probably STARTING at Lambeau it is HIS loss, not ours!

I don't think he minds playing less and getting paid the same.

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:06 PM
This whole thing is interesting to me. Before the Canty rumors began to fly yesterday and today, there was not a whole lot of condemnation of Thompson for not going hard after Canty. Now, after today, suddenly people are calling for his neck because the team didn't get the guy - hey, if he doesn't win this year, he's gone! Hey!

I got excited about Canty, too. But Partial was correct to warn that the price would be high. On top of that, it sure does appear Canty wanted to play in NY, which is after all his hometown.

And it appears to me too that Blank was trying to use, first Seattle, then Green Bay, to drive up the price for the Giants.

It's no more doom and gloom than it was three days ago, okay? And if people start crying about losing Colin Cole after all the descriptions of him as Just A Guy on this very site, I'm going to throw up in my mouth.

Brando19
03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Speaking of Lavar Arrington, I'm here in DC and he owns a nightclub not far from my hotel...3 people were shot there last night and one is dead. :shock:
I don't think I'll be visiting anytime soon.

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow. What an exciting nightclub!

imscott72
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Turtle strikes again!

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I know Scott that that was said in fun. It's all cool, but honest to gosh I hope, hope, hope that the Packers go like 11-5 or something and win a playoff game. If they do, I'm going to spend my nights pulling up all these hating-on-TT threads and shove them down people's flippin' throats.

Of course, if they such this year, and next, and TT gets canned, someone will be doing that to me, too....

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
You can't really blame a GM for not landing a guy who just doesn't want to play here, and if the guy is already getting overpaid most likely, it's generally not a good idea to up the ante enough to convince him he does. You don't really want guys who don't want to be there in your locker room in the first place.

Olshansky is only a tiny bit below Canty for the 3-4. If Canty is a 90/100 for a 3-4 DE, Olshansky is an 88 or an 89. The difference, of course, is that Olshansky will likely be a lot cheaper since Olshansky is more or less useless in the 4-3.

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:23 PM
And the focus shifts to Olshansky.

I am hoping TT lands him, if only to quiet some of the posters here.

Though if he helped the team this season that'd be nice, too.

imscott72
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I know Scott that that was said in fun. It's all cool, but honest to gosh I hope, hope, hope that the Packers go like 11-5 or something and win a playoff game. If they do, I'm going to spend my nights pulling up all these hating-on-TT threads and shove them down people's flippin' throats.

Of course, if they such this year, and next, and TT gets canned, someone will be doing that to me, too....

Yeah I said that all in fun. I've been a TT supporter the last couple years and tried to tell people to let the man work, but I do get frustrated when you know there are guys out there that can strengthen an area of great need and TT sits back like he expects these guys to beg him for a contract. Canty probably didn't want to come hear true, but for TT to not be available when his agent calls is puzzling to say the least. Clearly if we tank again next year Thompson is going to be on the hot seat. I'm sure he knows that and will do whatever he can to field a competitive team.

Waldo
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
You can't really blame a GM for not landing a guy who just doesn't want to play here, and if the guy is already getting overpaid most likely, it's generally not a good idea to up the ante enough to convince him he does. You don't really want guys who don't want to be there in your locker room in the first place.

Olshansky is only a tiny bit below Canty for the 3-4. If Canty is a 90/100 for a 3-4 DE, Olshansky is an 88 or an 89. The difference, of course, is that Olshansky will likely be a lot cheaper since Olshansky is more or less useless in the 4-3.

I don't get why we were even in the Canty hunt. Igor is much more GB style, both in $$ and personality.

Waldo
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Yeah I said that all in fun. I've been a TT supporter the last couple years and tried to tell people to let the man work, but I do get frustrated when you know there are guys out there that can strengthen an area of great need and TT sits back like he expects these guys to beg him for a contract. Canty probably didn't want to come hear true, but for TT to not be available when his agent calls is puzzling to say the least. Clearly if we tank again next year Thompson is going to be on the hot seat. I'm sure he knows that and do whatever he can to field a competitive team.

I would not be surprised if there is a FA in town right now that nobody knows about, that flew up from Ft. Myers and/or Scottsdale.

texaspackerbacker
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I wasn't enthusiastic for Canty unless he came cheap--which obviously was never gonna happen. I'm also not enthusiastic for Olshansky. I don't see him as a significant upgrade from what we have, and even though cheaper than Canty, he'll be a lot more expensive than Jolly or Harrell, and a lot lower quality than a healthy Jenkins. I also have some hope that Malone may amount to something.

red
03-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Yeah I said that all in fun. I've been a TT supporter the last couple years and tried to tell people to let the man work, but I do get frustrated when you know there are guys out there that can strengthen an area of great need and TT sits back like he expects these guys to beg him for a contract. Canty probably didn't want to come hear true, but for TT to not be available when his agent calls is puzzling to say the least. Clearly if we tank again next year Thompson is going to be on the hot seat. I'm sure he knows that and do whatever he can to field a competitive team.

I would not be surprised if there is a FA in town right now that nobody knows about, that flew up from Ft. Myers and/or Scottsdale.

the bad thing is olshansky lives in san diego, i looked it up, not scottsdale

and he's the guy that we need to have in right now, above anybody else i'd say

Waldo
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM

the bad thing is olshansky lives in san diego, i looked it up, not scottsdale

and he's the guy that we need to have in right now, above anybody else i'd say

Jovan Haye is from south Florida. He wouldn't be a half bad pickup.

I'd say there's about a half dozen guys out there that are an upgrade to Jolly. Igor is just one of them.

Fritz
03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Let me just say that Waldo has been on the Irogr train for a while now. If Olshansky signs with the Pack, all hail Waldo.

Jovan Heye - that would be a typical TT pickup. Kind of like Chillar. Nobody gets excited when it happens, but the guy turns out pretty well. I like Chillar, myself.

Free agents are a big risk. In some respects, the big name/big contract guys are bigger risks than rookies. You sign a big name to a big contract, he doesn't produce, you're out a lot of money. Joe Johnson, anyone? Let's just see how Haynesworth does in D.C. this year.

You sign mid-level or lower level guys, the risk is reduced. Sure, I would've liked Canty. But the guy apparently didn't really want to be here. My take is that the agent used GB (after Seattle fell off the radar) to push up the price so Canty could get the highest payday he could to play in the place he seems to have wanted to play in all along.

3irty1
03-01-2009, 07:15 PM

I think Mike Brown is from Scottsdale.

MJZiggy
03-01-2009, 07:18 PM
None of them might have been visiting Ft. Meyers or Scottsdale? Do either of them have a decent golf course? Really, gents, it could be anyone. We won't know until the inevitable incorrect leak, followed later by the real answer.

packerbacker1234
03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Now what?

We are THIN.

Never fear: TT drafted a golden boy. In Just Harrell we must trust. You got what you really wanted TT.

imscott72
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't understand the love affair with Olshansky either. Why is he so special? The Chargers did nothing to attempt to re-sign him. He's played all 16 games the last couple years, but next to nothing for sacks. We can't do better than this?

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't understand the love affair with Olshansky either. Why is he so special? The Chargers did nothing to attempt to re-sign him. He's played all 16 games the last couple years, but next to nothing for sacks. We can't do better than this?

The Chargers skimp on DEs the same way that Thompson skimps on Gs, they just don't spend big money on them. Plus, as a 3-4 DE his responsibility is not sacks. The OLBs get sacks, the DEs stop the run and generally complicate blocking schemes. I mean, the guy everybody is upset we lost out on, Chris Canty, has 10 sacks over his four year career (having played in 64 games, that averages .15 sacks per game versus .133 for Olshansky, and you wouldn't have to give Olshansky 17.25 million guaranteed). You don't sign 3-4 DEs to get sacks, that's not their job.

As a 3-4 DE, Olshansky is just as good as Canty. The difference is that Canty has value to a 4-3 team while Olshansky does not.

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 08:28 PM
from what i've read it sounded like TT didn't try and do shit

which is BS, because it sure sounds like the packers wanted him, and the price wasn't bad.

thats a shame, we better get igor. and TT better get on the phone with igor, not TT's minions. thats TT's job

GET READY TO REPEAT AFTER TTT

We're fine there
We're fine there
We're fine there
We're fine there
We're fine there
We're fine there
We're fine there

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 08:31 PM

don't hold your breath

the stuff i read this morning made my opinion of him come crashing back to earth.

canty's agent said he was trying to get a hold of TT this moring and couldn'd. and he also said that he hadn't talked to ted at all about canty. he must have been talking to someone else in the organization because someone was very interested in the guy and was trying to get him, but it wasn't tt

TT is like the little shy scarred boy in high school that is too scared to ask the hot girl out that likes him

he's hiding in his shell

TTT; still in his shell

I'm sure this will get spun that he wanted to play in NY

Bottom line is we didn't get it done again

red
03-01-2009, 08:34 PM
they've already started that spin

bout freaking time you showed up b

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Mission!

What happened?

Is Igor our guy or what?

I got dogged on a bit in here when asked which GM's I'd take over TTT and Reese was one of them. That defense will be downright terrifying next year

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 08:48 PM
they've already started that spin

bout freaking time you showed up b

The optimist in me said GB might land Canty by the time I got back from a Birthday Party

The realist in me said TTT would not close the deal with so many suitors

And I fully expected the he didn't want to go to GB or his wanted to go to yadayadayada spin to be out in full force

retailguy
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
We can't do better than this?

Sure we can! If we draft 'em. :?

Bretsky
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
no surprise on any of these details

Was interesting to know that the Agent called GB and let him know what the Giants offer was. I don't buy for a second he signed with NYG because he wasnted to play in NY

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40511947.html

Lurker64
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
no surprise on any of these details

Was interesting to know that the Agent called GB and let him know what the Giants offer was. I don't buy for a second he signed with NYG because he wasnted to play in NY

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40511947.html

I can't say Thompson made a bad call by refusing to sign a guy who wouldn't come in so they could meet with him and/or have their doctors look at him. How bad would it be if Thompson signed a guy sight unseen and he turned out to have some career ending debilitating injury blow up on him in the next season a la Arrington?

Whether or not he was willing to play here, if he's not willing to get on a private plane and get wined and dined by the Packers, he doesn't really want to play here.

If Canty's people won't budge from "Give us a number" and Thompson won't budge from "Come on down to Wisconsin, let's talk", I think Thompson is in the right here.

I'm just hoping we sign Olshansky reasonably soon.

Joemailman
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I can see Blank's point. He didn't want to leave New York unless he was sure the Packers were committed to making a competitive offer. If they leave the New York offer on the table, the Giants could rescind the offer and pursue Olshansky or someone else. Then, if the Packers don't make a decent offer, they're empty handed.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible Blank wanted an offer from the Packers to force the Giants to increase their offer. Hard to tell. So far, we've only heard Blank's version of what happened. We may never know the whole story of what transpired.

Deputy Nutz
03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Who gives a shit? Canty would have been a nice player, but the knock coming out of college on this guy was that he had a questionable work ethic. So now that he signs his deal who knows what type of player the Giants are going to get.

I heard the same could be said for Olshansky but if he comes a bit cheaper then it is a better gamble. The bottom line is that the Packers are quite thin at defensive line, at least on paper and likely just sitting in the draft war room isn't going to help the defensive line in 2009. Defensive linemen take time to materialize at the NFL level.

I would really like to see Thompson actively pursue some quality veteran defensive linemen, because without them this defense is going to struggle and if that happens the offense is going to have to carry the load and figure out some way to pull out those close games that they failed so misserably at in 2008.

Thompson's job is on the line, he has had one winning season as the GM of the Packers, the bottom line is that will not get it done in Green Bay if he can't right the ship in 2009.

Lurker64
03-02-2009, 02:04 AM
The bottom line is that the Packers are quite thin at defensive line, at least on paper and likely just sitting in the draft war room isn't going to help the defensive line in 2009.

The good thing, at least, is that with the switch to a 3-4 they actually have fewer defensive line spots to fill, and we're primarily looking for backups/rotation guys.

Most 3-4 teams keep the following:

4 defensive ends, 2 nose tackles, and a guy who can play DE or NT.

If we signed Olshansky (or, say Jovan Haye), Jenkins and Olshansky can be the starting ends, Jolly can be a backup for one of the two, and the fourth (of four) DE spots can probably be given to a guy we draft. He won't be great his first year, but he's the bottom of the depth chart for that position. A guy like Jarron Gilbert, if he were there in round 2, would be a great fit. If, by some miracle, Harrell is healthy and able to play this season, he's the DE/NT tweener, and he could be good at it. Otherwise, that's a hole that may be tricky to fill but drafting someone like Sammie Lee Hill out of Stillman would be a reasonable fit for that role. Pickett is going to be fine as the NT, since in a 1-gap 3-4 his responsibilities aren't really any different than his responsibilities have been in Green Bay as a DT in the past couple years. Then there's the backup NT spot which, because NT is really a specialist position (though a very important one) is sort of a minor concern. Since in passing downs, there will be no NT on the field, Pickett will probably end up playing fewer snaps in 2009 than he did in 2008 or 2007. So the backup guy is really there in case Pickett gets hurt, so I don't know if that merits a lot of resources to spend on a guy.

Really, I'd personally say that the OLB spot opposite Kampman is more of a need (though someone like Hunter or Thompson could surprise), and will probably be a harder one to fill.

As far as the front three are concerned, though, we probably just need to do enough this offseason to be adequate in 2009, since the 2010 draft looks to be one of the best ever as far as DTs are concerned.

Partial
03-02-2009, 02:29 AM
We need Olshansky and another DE. That way, we can go Raji in round 1 and an OLB in round 2.

Fritz
03-02-2009, 05:52 AM
It seems clear the Giants played a little hardball of their own here: you guys leave NY, this offer may not be here when you look back this way from Green Bay or Seattle or wherever you go next.

So the agent took the sure thing.

No, TT didn't get it done. He didn't promise more money or write an email with a number on it that the agent could hold him to (I'm paraphrasing Canty's agent here).

The real question was and is whether Canty would be worth that kind of gamble - throwing an offer out there for a guy you haven't had in for a visit.

That's the question. The answer is debatable. Canty may well have been worth that risk. Or not.

What the question is NOT is whether Thompson can just rush in and grab somebody. This idea that simply signing a name free agent is the important thing - that just makes no sense to me.

And come on, let's look at Canty. I've seen him referred to in several articles as a "second tier" free agent. So just because he's the biggest name left, and Thompson doesn't get him - that's basis for criticism?

Am I concerned? Yes, I am. As several posters have pointed out, the Packers are thin on the defensive line and the draft produces young men who are simply not ready to start in the NFL at the defensive end position. Even Mario Williams was considered by many Houston fans to be a flop his first year.

So I do think the situation calls for a free agent. Harrell is a question mark. Jenkins has an injury history as well.

But who? Well, if Canty is above average but not a difference maker, well, it'd have been nice, but as Partial pointed out, would signing Canty put other players who will be up for extensions at risk?

Again, I'd have been happy to have Canty, pretty much. But if the point of criticism is simply that Ted didn't get a big name guy, the next-hottest thing, then to me that's not a valid or pertinent criticism. But if you're convinced Canty was well worth the coin, and the risk in offering something big without meeting him was worth taking, well, then you've got some valid criticism of Thompson.

So let's all get on board the Igor train and see where it goes.

cpk1994
03-02-2009, 08:31 AM

don't hold your breath

he's hiding in his shellBecuase agents are 100% honest. :roll:
Canty DIDN"T WANT TO COME HERE. His agent is full of shit. But I guess its easier for people who hate TT to begin with to just blame him. YOu just proveds the old saying "There is a sucker born every minute" by believeing the trripe coming out of Canty's agents mouth.

Deputy Nutz
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
The bottom line is that the Packers are quite thin at defensive line, at least on paper and likely just sitting in the draft war room isn't going to help the defensive line in 2009.

The good thing, at least, is that with the switch to a 3-4 they actually have fewer defensive line spots to fill, and we're primarily looking for backups/rotation guys.

Most 3-4 teams keep the following:

4 defensive ends, 2 nose tackles, and a guy who can play DE or NT.

If we signed Olshansky (or, say Jovan Haye), Jenkins and Olshansky can be the starting ends, Jolly can be a backup for one of the two, and the fourth (of four) DE spots can probably be given to a guy we draft. He won't be great his first year, but he's the bottom of the depth chart for that position. A guy like Jarron Gilbert, if he were there in round 2, would be a great fit. If, by some miracle, Harrell is healthy and able to play this season, he's the DE/NT tweener, and he could be good at it. Otherwise, that's a hole that may be tricky to fill but drafting someone like Sammie Lee Hill out of Stillman would be a reasonable fit for that role. Pickett is going to be fine as the NT, since in a 1-gap 3-4 his responsibilities aren't really any different than his responsibilities have been in Green Bay as a DT in the past couple years. Then there's the backup NT spot which, because NT is really a specialist position (though a very important one) is sort of a minor concern. Since in passing downs, there will be no NT on the field, Pickett will probably end up playing fewer snaps in 2009 than he did in 2008 or 2007. So the backup guy is really there in case Pickett gets hurt, so I don't know if that merits a lot of resources to spend on a guy.

Really, I'd personally say that the OLB spot opposite Kampman is more of a need (though someone like Hunter or Thompson could surprise), and will probably be a harder one to fill.

As far as the front three are concerned, though, we probably just need to do enough this offseason to be adequate in 2009, since the 2010 draft looks to be one of the best ever as far as DTs are concerned.

3 is less than 4 that is true, but counting on guys like Harrell who simply hasn't done poop in a Green Bay uniform, and also counting on Jenkins who missed most of the past season to injury and played poorly in 2007 with the excuse of injury has me concerned. Jolly has never been anything more than a 3 tech tackle. I have a feeling he is athletic enough and a good enough football player to start or at least rotate between nose and end, but then there is that lovely drug suspension possibly looming over his head and the organizations.

So I really don't see the defensive line being a solidified unit by any means as of right now.

Looking at the linebacking corps I am a bit more optimistic than I was a week or so ago. Simply I keep forgetting about guys like Jason Hunter, and Jeremy Thompson that can contribute to this defense. Poppinga is actually going to be a better fit for this defense than he was in a 4-3. I do worry about the middle with Hawk and Barnett, simply because both of them are coming off poor seasons with injury concerns.

pbmax
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
I think that leak to the National Football Post about the Packers chasing him (and if you quote those guys, for the love of Mike paste in a link, finding things on that site is a nightmare) and all the things about McKenzie trying to schedule the visit and TT not being available was agent-player fueled to create a market for the guy. So I think the current story is probably true. The Packers didn't want him in until Monday and weren't going to offer a number the agent was looking for. Certainly not a number that would cause him to pull the player out of New York and travel immediately to Green Bay.

To make the case that Thompson doesn't understand that he needed to offer him more money to get him to come to Green Bay says more about the intelligence of the complaint than it does T2. Thompson may be dead wrong about his ability to fill this roster spot, but somehow I think he has figured out how to get a guy to show up on the tarmac.

Peter King said the Packers were eighth on the list when the process started. And it sounds like the Packers thought there was no way he was worth what he was going to get the first weekend. Everyone looking to place blame can wail and scream all you want about how everyone else is incompetent, but it seems clear from the small available evidence that the Packers weren't interested in this guy at that number. Clear and simple.

But no, I don't know what they will do now outside of Igor.

Fritz
03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Good post, PB. I would also refer posters who think the Packers are swimming in cap space to check out Waldo's calculations on the "Are the Packersand TT ever going to spend of free agents" or whatever that thread is that's near the top right now.

SkinBasket
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
When did Canty become the next Randy Moss anyway?

bobblehead
03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Lavar Arrington 2.0???

YOu mean the "other" guy who used GB to try and get the Giants to offer more?? I think TT learned something that first year when guys kept doing that to him. He has no interest in playing that game anymore. His M.O. is: Come to GB and talk to me, if you aren't interested enough to at least do that, we have nothing to talk about.

I have no problem with that mentality.

bobblehead
03-02-2009, 12:19 PM

That is the great thing about the internet forums for those who like to play gotchya....Your words and opinions stick with you. I should really start bookmarking some political threads for future use........