PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Packer Team Ever? An Analysis.

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
GREATEST PACK EVER: 1966 or 1996?

By Os Davis

A personal appeal today… Like so many other fans looking to fill a life utterly devoid of NFL football, I have turned to that pacifier so many football junkies do: Madden’s video football. Ambitiously have I created a dream league, full of teams representing the best year of their franchise. There’s Chuck Noll’s Pittsburgh Steelers, Jimmy Johnson’s Dallas Cowboys, and Jon Gruden’s Buccaneers. Some slots required decision making, but the entire league is filled. Except one: the Green Bay Packers.

Here, I am faced with a conundrum. Should the Pack play with absolutely immortal Vince Lombardi’s 1966 squad that won Super Bowl I after going 14-2? Or should they flash forward exactly thirty years and take Coach Mike Holmgren’s scoring machine of 1996 that steamrolled through the playoffs?

So what else to do to address this burning issue than make a list? Below runs a comparison of certain notables from both squads. And even you think the quarterback controversy is bad, check out the problem at defensive line.

Kicker: Chris Jacke vs. Don Chandler. Let’s start with an easy one, eh? In 1996, Jacke was 21 for 27 for a 77.8% success rate. In 1966, his eleventh of twelve seasons, Chandler was 12 of 28 for – get this – 78%. Jacke is third in scoring in Green Bay history, but Chandler also did duty as punter. And let’s not forget Super Bowl II, the last game in Chandler’s career and a four field goal performance. Edge: 1966 Packers.

Tight end: Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura vs. Marv Fleming. In 1996, Jackson had a fine season, grabbing 40 catches for 505 yards and a team-leading ten TDs. Chmura spent enough time at TE to rack up 370 yards. At the TE position, Fleming was far less frequently a target in Bart Starr’s offense, grabbing 31 catches for 361 yards. History is unfair. Edge: 1996 Packers.

Wide receivers: Antonio Freeman, Desmond Howard, Robert Brooks and Don Beebe vs. Carroll Dale, Boyd Dowler and Max McGee. At first, this looks like a blowout, but non-household names like Dale and Dowler actually had impressive careers. Dale (35 receptions for 738 yards in 1966) and Dowler (54 for 836) played 14 and 12 seasons respectively, and accumulated five all-pro nods between them. Veteran Max McGee chipped in only three receptions that year, but the Whiskey-A-Go-Go’s favorite client turned in his infamous hungover MVP-level performance in Super Bowl I. Of course, one can help but wonder what sort of havoc Starr might have wreaked with, say, Freeman (56 for 933 in twelve games in 1996). Edge: 1996 Packers.

Running backs: Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens vs. Jim Taylor, Elijah Pitts and Paul Hornung. On the 11th ranked running game in the NFL in 1996, Bennett rushed for exactly 899 yards on 222 carries, a 4.0 average. Levens plowed forth for 566, five TDs and a fat 4.7 yards per carry. In 1966, Jim Taylor was the center of the Green Bay running universe with 204 carries for 705 yards; he added 331 receiving yards for over 1,000 total. Elijah Pitts added 393 yards and seven TDs, while once again proving a double threat with 460 yards on 26 receptions. Battling injuries in the last year of his career, Hornung contributed 392 in total yardage. It’s a tough decision here, with the 1996 Packer stats gaudier, but the 66ers more versatile. Edge: 1966 Packers. For Hornung.

Quarterback: Brett Favre vs. Bart Starr. Two Hall of Famers representing two glory eras of Green Bay football, and between them all four Super Bowl appearances. Favre and the 1996 Pack was fifth overall in passing yardage and first in TDs. Favre’s ’96 stats are typically huge: 3,899 yards producing 39 touchdowns against just 13 interceptions. Though Starr’s backup Zeke Bratkowski got a fair amount of playing time that year, Starr was named All-Pro based on his 62.2% completion rate and his incredible 14 TD passes versus just three interceptions. Running through the stats is just a formality, though. Edge: You want a calm, cool and collected passing game, take Starr. You want edge-of-your-seat action and lots of heart palpitations? Go with Favre. You can’t lose.

Onto the defense, then: a much more daunting task. In football, defensive contributions often defy statistical measure, exceptions like tackles, sacks and interceptions aside. Most of the “informationà ¢â‚¬Â is abstract, and many of today’s taken-for-granted stats weren’t in play back in 1966. I’ll try to stick to the facts, though.

The team statistics kept on these two squads scream one identical fact about both: These were bruising, crushing, all-around defenses. In 1996, while the offense was running up scores like a pinball machine, the defense was numero uno in the league in points allowed and yardage allowed. The 1966 Packers were tops in points allowed and grabbed a neat 28 interceptions in a 14-game season. (By comparison, the 1996ers got 26 in 16 games in the much more pass-happy ‘90s.) Also of note are the five Hall of Famers listed on the 1966 Packer defense, all of whom contributed much in the year of Super Bowl I. History speaks well of 1966; only time can tell about the ’96 names.

Defensive backs: Herb Adderly and Willie Wood vs. Leroy Butler and Eugene Robinson. Butler and Robinson both posted excellent years in the Packers’ championship season in 1996, with the former getting a Pro Bowl nod. Butler notched 87 tackles and five interceptions, one of which he returned for 90 yards and a TD. Robinson was in his twelfth year when he played his first for the ’96 Pack and added six picks. Thirty years earlier, though, Hall members Adderly and Wood were spectacular. All-Pro Adderly totaled four picks and a 68-yard TD interception return; he leads the Packers all-time in interceptions returned for touchdowns. Wood was at the peak of his nine-year run as all-NFL cornerback and got three interceptions for the stingy defense. Plus, Bob Jeter (no relation) added five for 142 yards and two TDs. Edge: 1966 Packers.

Linebackers: Ray Nitschke and, say, Dave Robinson vs. …oh, does it matter? Nitschke was named best linebacker of all-time by the NFL back in 1969, and made the all-75th anniversary time as well. Robinson apparently did a bit of staying back in the secondary a bit while Nitschke tortured quarterbacks, getting five interceptions in the process. No matter – Nitschke is enough. Edge: 1966 Packers.

The line: Reggie White and a couple of mortals vs. Willie Davis and Henry Jordan. To be fair, many others contributed to either Packer squad (Santana Dotson and Sean Jones bagged 5.5 and five sacks respectively for the 1996 version), but these are the guys we pay money to see. After chewing over this one for a bit, I still can’t swallow going against the Minister of Defense, one of the most dominant players at any position in my lifetime. The 75th Anniversary Teamer did have an a bit of an “offâ⠂¬Â year in 1996, with “onlyÃ¢à ‚¬Â 8.5 sacks to his credit (in 1995, White got 12 and in 1996, 11). Nevertheless, he was an All-Pro and has been universally credited as a key to Green Bay’s Super Bowl season. In the other corner are two Hall of Famers: Willie Davis and Henry Jordan (no relation). Davis was named All-Pro and Pro Bowler in 1966, nearing the end of a career in which he racked up 162 consecutive games and participated in all five Green Bay championships. Jordan was also a Pro Bowler on the downside of his career. While age was barely beginning to show on White in ’96, Davis and Jordan played at top level while in the twilight of careers. And don’t forget the Minister’s three sacks in Super Bowl XXXI…and don’t forget Willie Davis is the all-time Packer leader in fumble recoveries…and don’t forget…ah, forget it. I just can’t make the decision here. Edge: no edge.

From this simple categorization and informal comparison, it seems the 1966 Green Bay Packers come out slightly ahead. Not considered in the rundown were coaches, of course, and this would clearly put the guys from the 1960s over the top.

Right, then. Unless anyone convinces me otherwise, it’ll be Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers against Sweetness Payton and the 1985 Chicago Bears next week…I may have made the incorrect decision, but the nice thing about video games is that you can always hit reset.

MTPackerfan
07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
thanks for posting that article. Interesting read

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 12:13 PM
thanks for posting that article. Interesting read

I started as a Packer fan in 1959 and those two teams were indeed awesome forces.

Thank You. :mrgreen:

KYPack
07-11-2006, 12:31 PM
How about the '62 packers?

13-1 regular season

NFL Championsip won in NY.

Vince always thought that was his best team.

TravisWilliams23
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
If you started following the Pack in '59, what was your opinion about
the '62 team? I've read articles that rate this team as Lombardi's best.
I didn't become a fan until '65 so I'll have to defer my opinion to others
who witnessed both teams.

MTPackerfan
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I was just a youngster in 1966 and didn't become a Packers fan until 1967, at which time I was only 8 and lived in Montana so didn't get to see them much. There fore cannot comment on the early teams.

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Kicker: Chris Jacke vs. Don Chandler. Let’s start with an easy one, eh? In 1996, Jacke was 21 for 27 for a 77.8% success rate. In 1966, his eleventh of twelve seasons, Chandler was 12 of 28 for – get this – 78%.

What? This makes no sense. How is 12 for 28 = 78%?

MJZiggy
07-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Kicker: Chris Jacke vs. Don Chandler. Let’s start with an easy one, eh? In 1996, Jacke was 21 for 27 for a 77.8% success rate. In 1966, his eleventh of twelve seasons, Chandler was 12 of 28 for – get this – 78%.

What? This makes no sense. How is 12 for 28 = 78%?

Fuzzy Math. :razz:

Fosco33
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
I may get torched for this but I'd pick the '96 team over the teams from the 60s.

In reality, the 60s Packers were very dominant - for their time - comparing them to a 90s team w/ new schemes, different rules, larger/faster players isn't really fair.

As a test, I played some Madden yesterday w/ the '66 Packers vs the '85 Bears (Packers won 20-14), '96 Packers vs '85 Bears (Packers won 21-10) and '66 Packers vs. '96 Packerss ('96 won 28-14). I tried changing the offensive/defensive schemes to match the appropriate team and called plays most used for those teams.

I'd recommend a similar strategy for your fantasy dream league.

Fosco33
07-12-2006, 09:05 AM

13-1 regular season

http://www.packers.com/team/stats/yearly_archive/1962.pdf

I'm wondering if this team is even available (pre Superbowl era teams) in Madden.

In looking at the stats, this is a better team than '66 (points/points allowed; rush yards/yards allowed; pass yards/yards allowed)...

KYPack
07-12-2006, 11:37 AM

13-1 regular season

http://www.packers.com/team/stats/yearly_archive/1962.pdf

I'm wondering if this team is even available (pre Superbowl era teams) in Madden.

In looking at the stats, this is a better team than '66 (points/points allowed; rush yards/yards allowed; pass yards/yards allowed)...

There is one spot in which the '66 team is superior, but it can't be measured statistically.

The '66 team had the best cornerback tandem in NFL history.

Herb Adderley and Bob Jeter are the best pair of corners ever. Sprinter speed, super aggressive, devastating tacklers, great athletes, these guys had it all.

That is the only big difference btw the two clubs.

MJZiggy
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM

Didn't interior linemen used to be a lot smaller?

KYPack
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM

I was talking '62 vs '66.

The 80's was the beginning of the "gas" era. Lineman basically all gained 50 - 75 lb's from the 60's to the 90's thanks to diet, lifting and steroids.

Fosco33
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM

I was talking '62 vs '66.

The 80's was the beginning of the "gas" era. Lineman basically all gained 50 - 75 lb's from the 60's to the 90's thanks to diet, lifting and steroids.

Agreed. So, it'd be tough for the 60s teams to compete w/ the post 80s teams as I said above. It'd be like a college team playing high schoolers (in terms of size, development of their game, etc).

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
The Dynasties

1. The 1981-1998 San Francisco 49ers: No team has ever been so good, so consistently as the 1981-1998 San Francisco 49ers. Coached by Paul Brown's prodigy Bill Walsh, the 49ers won their first title in 1981, winning Super Bowl XVI over the Cincinnati Bengals, who were then coached, coincidentally, by former Packer lineman Forest Gregg. After a two year hiatus from the big game, San Francisco returned to the Super Bowl where quarterback Joe Montana won his second Super Bowl MVP by outdueling Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX. The 49ers returned to the Super Bowl in 1988 where Joe Montana led a last second, come-from-behind touchdown drive to defeat the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII. The next year, under new coach George Seifert, Joe Montana won an unprecedented third Super Bowl MVP when he led the 49ers to a 55-10 drubbing of the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV. The following season, San Francisco was primed to go for the “threepeatà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚, when they were shocked by the New York Giants in the NFC Championship game – the last meaningful game that Joe Montana would ever play in a 49er uniform.

After missing all but one game in the 1991 season with a bad back, Joe Montana was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs, signifying the end of Montana's reign in San Francisco. Yet, though an era had ended with the departure of Montana, the dynasty rolled on. Behind former super-sub turned All Pro quarterback Steve Young, the 49ers advanced to three straight NFC Championship games from 1992-1994. After losing to the Cowboys in 1992 and 1993, the 49ers finally broke through the Cowboy hex and got back to the Super Bowl, where Steve Young threw a Super Bowl-record six touchdown passes as San Francisco trounced the San Diego Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX. The 49ers continued to make the playoffs, advancing to the divisional round in 1996, the NFC Championship game in 1997 and the divisional round in 1998. Though the names and faces were always changing, from 1981-1998 the San Francisco 49ers experienced the most successful run that any team in the NFL has ever experienced. They won five Super Bowls in five appearances and were in a total of nine NFC Championship games. In this era of free agency, it is likely that no team will ever approach the level of the San Francisco 49ers – the best team in NFL history.

2. The 1960's Green Bay Packers: 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967. Five NFL title in seven seasons. Champions of the first two Super Bowls. Led by Vince Lombardi, arguably the greatest coach of all time, the Green Bay Packers rode the power sweep to the top of the NFL in a time when Commissioner Pete Rozelle was shaping the NFL as America's premier sport. The Green Bay Packers of the 1960's were loaded with Hall of Fame players such as linebacker Ray Nitschke, quarterback Bart Starr, fullback Jim Taylor and cornerback Herb Adderley. They won so methodically and so often that baseball fans might be reminded of the New York Yankees of the forties and fifties. They were, to put it bluntly, the best team ever – until the 49ers came along.

3. The 1970's Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers may be the most underrated of all the Super Bowl dynasties. Quarterback Terry Bradshaw was the first quarterback to win four Super Bowls, but he still isn't considered an all-time great QB. Chuck Noll is the only coach to win four Super Bowls, yet he is still not in the Hall of Fame. Despite the lack of respect, between 1974 and 1979, the Pittsburgh Steelers won four Super Bowls in four appearances. The Steelers won their first two championships, against the Vikings and Cowboys, with the stifling defense of the Steel Curtain and the grinding running of Franco Harris and Rocky Blier. In 1978, the NFL rule committee adopted a new rule where defenders could not make contact with receivers outside of five yards (a rule reemphasized during the 2004 season). The “chuck rule”, as it was called, opened up the passing game and made it difficult for teams to continue to win by relying solely on a dominating defense and solid running game. Thus, the Steelers were forced to adapt by going to more of an aerial attack. Pittsburgh never missed a beat, as they won the 1978 and 1979 Super Bowls on the arm of Terry Bradshaw and the hands and feet of receivers Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

Yet, perhaps most impressive was the fact that two of the four Steeler Super Bowl victories were against a team of equal greatness and clout – the Dallas Cowboys, the fifth ranked team on this list. No other modern day NFL dynasty can claim to have defeated such a strong adversary in a Super Bowl. The Packers had to defeat two AFL teams, the Chiefs and the Raiders. The 49ers defeated the Bengals twice, the Dolphins, the Broncos and the Chargers – none of which had won a title in the ten years before facing the 49ers in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys of the 1990's defeated the Bills twice and the Steelers once – again, all teams that had not won a championship in the ten years prior to facing the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. As previously stated, the 1970's Cowboys were in virtually every NFC Championship game and appeared in five Super Bowls, winning two. In fact, the Cowboys were in more Super Bowls in the 1970's than the Steelers. The fact that Dallas was Pittsburgh's victim twice further demonstrates the greatness of the team from Steel Town.

4. The 2001-2004 New England Patriots: What the New England Patriots have done in the past four seasons is nothing short of amazing. In 2001, they lost their franchise quarterback in the second game of the season, and rode the arm and brain of a sixth round quarterback all the way to an improbable 20-17 Super Bowl win over the St. Louis Rams, the so-called greatest show on turf. In 2003, they lost countless starters to injury, yet still ran off fifteen straight victories on their way to a franchise record 14-2 regular season and second Super Bowl victory, a title that seemed to prove that 2001 was no fluke. Finally, in 2004, they opened the season 6-0, setting a new record for consecutive victories at twenty-one. Despite losing half of their starting secondary, the Patriots continued to beat all comers, going 14-2 for the second consecutive season, winning their second straight Super Bowl and doing so by keeping record setting quarterback Peyton Manning out of the end zone, lighting up the Pittsburgh Steelers' top ranked defense and holding off a tough Philadelphia Eagles club in Super Bowl XXXIX. Best of all, the Patriots have become the only “great team” in the salary cap era, a feat that many thought was impossible. Since the start of the Patriots incredible run, they have won nine straight postseason games. Tom Brady is the youngest quarterback to win one, two and now three Super Bowls. And while the Patriots will need to sustain their excellence for another few years to move up on this list, the core of this team is still very young. No one would be surprised to see New England with another two Lombardi Trophies before their incredible run concludes. If that happens, the Patriots may very well be remembered as the greatest team in NFL history.

5. The 1992-1995 Dallas Cowboys: The Dallas Cowboys of the early 1990's were the first team to ever win three Super Bowls in a four year span – a mark that the Patriots are trying to equal in Jacksonville. The Cowboys actually had a very good chance to make it four Super Bowl titles in four years but, in 1994, Dallas lost in the NFC Championship game to the San Francisco 49ers, the eventual Super Bowl champions. That Cowboys team may have had a chance to be the best NFL team ever, but the advent of free agency in 1993 decimated the squad, as did Jerry Jones's decision to replace Jimmy Johnson with Barry Switzer midway through the Cowboys' run. Nevertheless, the Cowboys dominance of the early 1990's secured their place as the last of the NFL dynasties.

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 12:30 PM

13-1 regular season

Yes.

The 1962 Green Bay Packer Team, is certainly considered as one of 'the Greatest Teams in the History of the NFL for a single season's results.

The 1962 Green Bay Packers were the last great NFL team of the pre-Super Bowl era.

Led by legendary head coach Vince Lombardi, the Packers rumbled through the regular NFL season winning 13 games with just one loss.

In fact, the Packers outscored their opponents by an amazing score of 415-148.

The Packers started the 1962 season by winning all six of their preseason games. When the regular season arrived, they rolled by their first four opponents by a total score of 109-14. The most convincing of these victories was at the expense of the Chicago Bears in week three. On a day that the Packers could seemingly do no wrong, they destoyed their biggest, and most-bitter rival, 49-0.

Green Bay went on to record ten-consecutive victories to start the season, with the only team to put up much of a fight being the Detroit Lions. In game four, Detroit was able to keep the final score at 9-7, giving Green Bay their smallest margin of victory for the season.

Maybe the struggle with Detroit was a sign of things to come as the Lions, in game eleven, were able to hand the Packers their only loss of the season, 26-14. Detroit's defensive line, led by Alex Karras, was able to smother quarterback Bart Starr and the Green Bay offense. But as is the case with most great teams, the Packers bounced right back and defeated their next three opponents to finish the season.

The Packers opponent in the NFL Championship Game was the New York Giants, a team that they had humiliated in the 1961 championship game, 37-0.

The Giants were set on avenging the loss, but the play of linebacker Ray Nitschke, seemed to thwart every scoring attempt by the New York offense. Nitschke helped stop an early drive by the Giants at the Green Bay 10-yard line when he tipped a pass that was then picked off. He also came up with two fumble recoveries, one that led to a touchdown and another that led to a field goal. His stellar play led to his being named the game's MVP.

The Packers went on to a 16-7 victory over the Giants to give them the championship for the second-consecutive year, and also establish them as one of the NFL's all time great teams.

KYPack
07-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Most of this is from memory, but I think it's accurate.

In 1976 there were two players over 300 lbs in the NFL. By 1996 there were 150+ players over 300 lbs in the league. Many people use this an example of the superiority of current teams over the teams of 30 & 40 years ago.

Although it's probably true that teams of today have advantages (especially strategically) over the teams of the past. I doubt it's as great as some fans seem to think.

The one trend that isn't a big positive difference is the huge (also read fat) lineman. There are more big lineman now than in the past, but it doesn't mean that the 60's era lineman would be sadly overmatched in an actual game.

The trend to the hulking OLineman was actually started by the Packers, in a reverse kind of way. All teams HAD to stop the Packer sweep. So they spread out and put extra defenders in the way of the sweep. That's how the 3-4 really got started. You can't run the sweep against the wide defenses and teams stopped trying to do so. That meant that agile guards that could pull both ways weren't needed. Eventually teams went for huge guys at guard who couldn't pull, but were impossible to bull rush in passing situations.

So now you have huge immobile lineman who can't be knocked off their feet in passing situations. All trends ebb & flow. Some teams (like the Packers) are trying to run wide once again by going to the ZBS. this offense requires agile lineman (espec guards) who run a zone blocking scheme to either side. (These small agile lineman are 290 lbs!)

The pendulum swings back the other way!

I'd LOVE to see the '62 Packers play the '85 Bears.

It would be a close game and both teams would fight to the final gun!

MJZiggy
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
290...small....Ha!!!

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Re: KYPack

Most of this is from memory, but I think it's accurate.

In 1976 there were two players over 300 lbs in the NFL. By 1996 there were 150+ players over 300 lbs in the league. Many people use this an example of the superiority of current teams over the teams of 30 & 40 years ago.

woodbuck27: I say - that is direct evidence of the success of the burger / fast food franchises - like McDonald's and Burger King.

Although it's probably true that teams of today have advantages (especially strategically) over the teams of the past. I doubt it's as great as some fans seem to think.

The one trend that isn't a big positive difference is the huge (also read fat) lineman. There are more big lineman now than in the past, but it doesn't mean that the 60's era lineman would be sadly overmatched in an actual game.

The trend to the hulking OLineman was actually started by the Packers, in a reverse kind of way. All teams HAD to stop the Packer sweep. So they spread out and put extra defenders in the way of the sweep. That's how the 3-4 really got started. You can't run the sweep against the wide defenses and teams stopped trying to do so. That meant that agile guards that could pull both ways weren't needed. Eventually teams went for huge guys at guard who couldn't pull, but were impossible to bull rush in passing situations.

So now you have huge immobile lineman who can't be knocked off their feet in passing situations. All trends ebb & flow. Some teams (like the Packers) are trying to run wide once again by going to the ZBS. this offense requires agile lineman (espec guards) who run a zone blocking scheme to either side. (These small agile lineman are 290 lbs!)

The pendulum swings back the other way!

I'd LOVE to see the '62 Packers play the '85 Bears.

It would be a close game and both teams would fight to the final gun!

woodbuck27:

Someone will one day run a program on a computer to check out such a match-up KY. That one would be very interesting.

It's generally not a team in any given season but a team over a period of years that is the more valid measure of it's true strength and status in an historical sense.

oregonpackfan
07-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I too have been faithfully following the Packers since '59. I also agree with the view that the '62 Packers were the best Packer team ever. They were loaded with talent on both offense and defense.

One aspect that has not been considered in comparing teams of the 90's and 2000's with the team of '62 is that in today's NFL there are 32 teams. I am not sure of the number(perhaps 16) but there were far fewer NFL teams in the 60's. The team's roster numbers in the 60's were far smaller(around 40) than today's 53(am not sure about the official number).

Basically, it was far more difficult to make it in the NFL in the 60's than it was today.

Oregonpackfan

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Basically, it was far more difficult to make it in the NFL in the 60's than it was today.

You might be right, but I'm not sure. U.S. population has grown from about 180 million in '62 to around 300 million. With the big money in pro sports today, is there a larger pool of athletes at college level who are training and focusing on pro career? Did the pros recruit from as many colleges as they do now? I guess they only scouted big schools in 62.

Patler
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM

You might be right, but I'm not sure. U.S. population has grown from about 180 million in '62 to around 300 million. With the big money in pro sports today, is there a larger pool of athletes at college level who are training and focusing on pro career? Did the pros recruit from as many colleges as they do now? I guess they only scouted big schools in 62.

The draft was 24 rounds in 1962. Players from small colleges routinely were drafted and had a chance in camp, which went on for ever. There were six preseason games. Plenty of competition for 40 roster spots, and varying numbers on the old "taxi" squads (usually between 4 and 8, but it varied different years).

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
I think it's hard to compare generations, and I don't even like to do it. Of course, the players are much better athletes today. Many of the players back then would not have been able to compete in today's professional football. That's just fact. There were OL that weren't over 250 pounds back then. There weren't many DEs and LBs that could run like the guys today. However, that shouldn't matter. When comparing athletes and teams between generations, you have to compare them to the people they competed against. Training is a lot better nowadays and the NFL wasn't an all year proposition. Back then, many of the players had to work in the offseason because they didn't get paid enough to make it a full-time job.

IMHO, the '62 team was the best Packers team of all-time. However, the '96 team was right there with them and ranks amongst the best also. The '66 team was getting old, and I don't think they could have competed with the '62 team.

woodbuck27
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
1962 NFL CHampionship

December 30, 1962

Yankee Stadium, New York
Green Bay (16) over New York Giants (7)

40 mph winds and 13 degree temps make for a ground battle. Giants cut Packer lead to 10-7 in the 3rd quarter on a blocked end-zone punt but outstanding defensive effort by Ray Nitschke (2 fumble recoveries and deflection that led to an interception) and two more Jerry Kramer field goals ice the game for the Packers.

NFL Championship: Packers vs. New York Giants

Out front all the way in a raw, cyclonic setting (13-degree temperatures and 40-mile per hour winds), Packers weather siege by vengeful Giants in primitive, hand-to-hand struggle. Ray Nitschke proves principal frustration to New Yorkers, seeking redemption for shutout humiliation in '61 title game. His deflection triggers interception to blunt early Giant drive to Green Bay 10. On way to being named game's most valuable player, he also registers two fumble recoveries, one of which led to the Packers' only touchdown of the afternoon. The other set up a 29-yard field goal by Jerry Kramer, whose trio of three-pointers provided the eventual margin.

Giants' only TD comes on block of Max McGee punt in Green Bay end zone midway through the third quarter.

A battered Jim Taylor sets playoff record with 31 rushing attempts, good for 85 yards.

G.B. - FG J.Kramer 26
G.B. - Taylor 7 run (J.Kramer kick)
N.Y. - Collier blocked punt recovery in end zone (Chandler kick)
G.B. - FG J.Kramer 29
G.B. - FG J.Kramer 30

Creepy
07-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Trying to pick the best ever is futile. Picking by eras is better. For those who think the players of the 60s couldn't play in the 80s, let just make a small change in things and see if that is true.

Most player smoked in the NFL in the 60s. You could find them advertising cigarrettes in magazines. Not very healthy. Because they didn't mak the money todays players do, they had to get jobs during the off-season to actually feed their families (unlike todays who can't feed their wife and kid on 2 million a year). Let the 60s players have the medical services that are around now, half the career ending injuries would have been playing the next season. State of the art sports complexes with saunas, jacuzzis, whirlpools and top physical fitness staffs to work in them.

I believe a few of the 260-270 OL could have moved up to the 280-300 range and been as effective. I think Bullet Bob Hayes or Lance Rentzel could have been great receivers today. A lot ofthose WR would be good today, justthink how it would have been for them if they didn't have DBs poundingthem up and down the line.

A better play would be to see just how good todays players would be playing in the 60s. Only 39 players on a team, most teams you punted and played a position (Hornung Kicker/HB, Mcgee WR/Punter) or the kicker did punting and FGs. Centers were long snappers. Starting hbs, WRs and DBs were return men and played on special teams.

OL had to keep their hands in, you push out and it was holding. The headslap was legal by DL. Good God, could you imagine Reggie clubbing the player instead of just throwing him aside?

WR, how good would todays receiver be if the DB was knocking and pushing him for the entire length of the field. LBs and safeties taking WRs heads off as they ran across the middle 7 yards deep.

QBs, can't throw it away, the helmet in the small of the back or under the chin was routine. Hit the QB in the head tryingto knock the ball down was not a penalty. Outside the tackles just meant the QB was in big trouble.

You can't compare eras, just like the boys who played it in the 30s/40s.

How many of todays players would want to wear a leather helmet with no face mask, ouside in GB in December with a blanket to keep them warm or a some wood burning in a barrel.

The game has come a long way, and the equipment and rules changes have made it different from era to era. In 20 years it will change more, but the one that doesn't change is you still have to beat the guy across from you to win. Maybe thats why even with the changes it is still the greatest sport in the world (at least to me).

woodbuck27
07-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Very insightful post Creepy.

Interesting deeper look.