PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor just released

Brandon494
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Should we go after him? Thoughts

Waldo
03-02-2009, 03:18 PM
If he still wants to play football, I would. Most of the Miami guys think very highly of Dom, I have to imagine the feeling is mutual between him and his best players.

He is a week 1 starting WOLB. Something we currently lack. We could address the position in the draft and be assured we don't need the kid to be thrown on the field week 1. Bringing in a HOF caliber player (even at the tail end) that knows the scheme and terminology and coach that is good enough to at least start right away is not a bad thing. Especially since everybody would know he's just a temporary stopgap until a permanent solution is put in place.

Old Man Taylor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Poppinga, our current starter.

sheepshead
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Gotta look at him, talk to him see where his heads at. for sure.

Partial
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes, you go after him. At the very least, he adds depth and would be a solid injury insurance policy at OLB.

bigcoz75
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes go for it. With him and Holliday available now. I'd take them both. Two players who played for Capers and played well in his system. Great move for a transition.

bigcoz75
03-02-2009, 03:29 PM
not to mention they should come reasonably too

Cheesehead Craig
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
TT has to act quickly otherwise we may not get this one player and then the season is doomed! Doomed I tell you! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Sorry, just starting the complete overreaction that will ensue if we don't sign the flavor of the day FA.

Pack-man
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I think it would be worth a phone call. I doubt if he'd be interested in coming to GB. He wasn't last year.

Brando19
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I would check him out for sure...but PFT is reporting he was released because he refused to take part in most of the offseason workout programs....does that mean he doesn't want to play football?

pittstang5
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I think it would be worth a phone call. I doubt if he'd be interested in coming to GB. He wasn't last year.

Maybe...but Capers wasn't the DC last year either.

Waldo
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM

We didn't have the Dominator last year.

pittstang5
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I would check him out for sure...but PFT is reporting he was released because he refused to take part in most of the offseason workout programs....does that mean he doesn't want to play football?

Sounds full of holes if you aske me.

HarveyWallbangers
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Did Taylor play the same position that Aaron Kampman is now playing?

Partial
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM

I thought he was on the other side.

pittstang5

Other side, I believe - going against the LT. I think Kampman is going to stay on the D's left side - going against the RT, etc.

Fritz
What the heck. A one year stopgap so that Thompson or whomever the Pack drafts can learn the system.

That's if the guy wants to play football.

Vonnie Holliday? I can't believe he's still playing. thought he retired with Fuzzy Thurston or something.

Waldo
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM

I thought he was on the other side.

Yeah, the same position Poppinga is now playing. I like Pops and all, but it is very foolish to rely on him to be a pass rusher.

packers11
03-02-2009, 04:13 PM
The Tampa Tribune expects the Bucs to "heavily pursue" free agent DE Jason Taylor.

Beat writer Anwar Richardson heard Washington might cut Taylor from "several sources" last week and that once it did the Bucs would be in pursuit. Bucs DC Jim Bates has a strong relationship with Taylor from their days in Miami.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Fritz
03-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Let's get into a bidding war!

BTW Waldo, what is your opinion of Thompson's prospects as a linebacker? And would he be on Kampman's side or the other side?

Brandon494
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
The Tampa Tribune expects the Bucs to "heavily pursue" free agent DE Jason Taylor.

Beat writer Anwar Richardson heard Washington might cut Taylor from "several sources" last week and that once it did the Bucs would be in pursuit. Bucs DC Jim Bates has a strong relationship with Taylor from their days in Miami.

Source: Tampa Tribune

He'll either be with the Bucs or Pats

mission
03-02-2009, 05:52 PM

BTW Waldo, what is your opinion of Thompson's prospects as a linebacker? And would he be on Kampman's side or the other side?

I think they're talking the other/D.Ware side with Thompson ...

You GOTTA at least holla at Taylor but you gotta assume he'd be a tougher catch than a Canty... guy is super Hollywood.

Waldo
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM

JT projects very well to linebacker. Many scouting reports actually said that he'd be better off playing 3-4 OLB at the NFL level than 4-3 DE. He has the athleticism necessary.

When we drafted him I immediately thought that we were going to use him in a Joker role much like Taylor played in Miami. Physically Jeremy is very similar to Jason Taylor.

Bossman641
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd love to get Taylor for a year or 2 but I just don't see it happening. Dude is more Hollywood than NFL right now, and I don't see him coming to GB.

KYPack
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
He's a scary athlete, even at 34.

He was an LB at Akron.

Back to his roots.

The ripple effect is starting. Skins have to cut, even if Taylor is missing workouts, etc, they have to get rid of guys.

imscott72
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
TT has to act quickly

:lol: :lol:

Fritz
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
If he can be resurrected for one more year, while Thompson/draft pick develop, then good. IF the dude wants to play football.

Joemailman
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
He can dance, but can he Polka?

falco
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
i have to admit, i like the idea of getting taylor and holiday. two guys that fill voids temporarily, help with the transition to the 3-4, and don't break the bank - allowing TT to replace them with draft picks over the next few years.

sort of like how klemm and dwyer were supposed to temporarily patch up our OL while TT rebuilt

3irty1
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Start with Holliday and then test the water on Taylor.

Partial
03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Start with Holliday and then test the water on Taylor.

With how far we are under the cap, I really don't have any problem paying these guys generously for a year of their services. These two guys would help a lot in the locker room and would ease the transition, even if they're past their prime.

Bretsky
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Holiday + Taylor >>> Cole & Montgomery

KYPack
03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
The usual rumor mill sites are saying there are about a dozen teams after Jason Taylor.

I'd take him on my team, even tho he's a stop gap.

Could we have two converted DE's playing LB?

Waldo
03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
The usual rumor mill sites are saying there are about a dozen teams after Jason Taylor.

Taylor played Elephant OLB in Miami under Capers, same role he'd have in GB.

Chevelle2
http://rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Free agent Jason Taylor has already been contacted by "roughly a dozen teams," according to Profootballtalk.com.
The Packers, Bucs, Broncos, 49ers, Browns, and possibly the Eagles and Patriots could be in play.

mission

Fanfukntastic. So the mere fact that Dom is our DC moves us from his 12th choice to somewhere around 8 ... Greaaaaaaaaaat.

(you see, im trying reverse enthusiasm this week)