PDA

View Full Version : BEDARD BLOG

Bretsky
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Lots of good stuff in here

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40573202.html

mission
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Whoa... I didnt catch this the first time... can I quote a comment on JSO, Mad? :)

Here's a snip with no real credible source:

re: Tomlinson
One of the rumored teams to be seriously involved in talks with the Chargers are the GreenBay Packers. They are rumored to have a offer on the table. It's believed to be running back Brandon Jackson, and a second round and fourth round draft choice in this Aprils draft. Something that would benefit the Chargers in the long haul.

I don't think I'd give a second and a fourth with BJ... maybe BJ and a fourth for a couple years of LT / Grant tandem.

Bossman641
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Whoa... I didnt catch this the first time... can I quote a comment on JSO, Mad? :)

One of the rumored teams to be seriously involved in talks with the Chargers are the GreenBay Packers. They are rumored to have a offer on the table. It's believed to be running back Brandon Jackson, and a second round and fourth round draft choice in this Aprils draft. Something that would benefit the Chargers in the long haul.

I don't think I'd give a second and a fourth with BJ... maybe BJ and a fourth for a couple years of LT / Grant tandem.

I really hope that's made up. A young back, a 2nd rounder, and a 4th rounder for an aging guy with tons of wear whose best years are 2-3 years behind him? No thank you

mission
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM

I really hope that's made up. A young back, a 2nd rounder, and a 4th rounder for an aging guy with tons of wear whose best years are 2-3 years behind him? No thank you

Yeah, I also didn't consider the contract differences between Jackson and LT.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Why the hell not.

When LT has been on the field the past two seasons, he's been very effective. It's true towards the end of each year he got hurt, but we've got a starter caliber in Grant already. So, it could be a true 50/50 RB system that would not only keep LT with fresh legs heading into a playoff situation, it would also keep Ryan Grant with fresh legs as well. Also, LT's presence alone is going to allow Rodgers to be even more effective then he was last year.

Combine a LT/Grant combo with the WR's we have and a young improving QB: You could see a lot of reason that our offense could be one of the best in the entire nfl.

jmbarnes101
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Not to mention that LT can CATCH the ball and can even throw it so we could actually try a trick play or two. He'd be a great 50/50 guy with Grant and he would indeed open up the entire offense. I just wouldn't want to give up too much in terms of salary cap and compensation to get him but if it's a good deal you can expect TT to at least look at it.

SkinBasket
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Jackson potential is about as clear as a frog's butt. Change the deal to Jackson and our higher 3rd and I wouldn't feel sad.

cpk1994
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Jackson potential is about as clear as a frog's butt. Change the deal to Jackson and our higher 3rd and I wouldn't feel sad.But the Chargers would laugh in your face. Jackson and a 3rd doesn't come even close to getting a deal from the Chargers.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Impossible. First off TT hates to trade picks. Second off he also know better than to give up picks for a guy that's near the end of the line.

cpk1994
03-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Impossible. First off TT hates to trade picks.

How did Ryan Grant get to GB then? :wink:

vince
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
As far as what was really in the report, that was probably about the most reasonable take on the situation I've seen anywhere.

Here's what I read from Bedard's comments. Canty was overpaid at $7 mil./yr. That's not Ted's M.O. They need a DE and they liked Canty best, so he'd have been great to sign, but the era where a bunch of free agents can come in and make a super bowl champion are long gone. Canty wasn't that kind of difference maker anyway, and he plays an unsung role-player position that you'd rather not pay that kind of money for. Give the team time to see what they can put together before blasting them. If the Packers fail to stop the run again this year, Thompson will have to answer to that no matter who plays DE.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM

Yeah and before TT sent that pick over to NY, he tried to unload one of our kickers instead. The Giants didn't bite so he sent a future 6th. Not exactly a blockbuster.

Fritz
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
A hgh mileage running back is a high mileage running back. Unloading a young guy you've spent time developing, plus two high draft picks, would be foolish in my opinion.

Why would Thompson pull such a move when he wouldn't re-up Ahman Green?

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah and before TT sent that pick over to NY, he tried to unload one of our kickers instead. The Giants didn't bite so he sent a future 6th. Not exactly a blockbuster.

Apparently, he also had deals in place to trade a draft pick for Randy Moss (before Mr. Senility backed out of it) and to trade a draft pick for Tony Gonzalez (before the Chiefs tried to increase the compensation just before the deal was to go down).

Partial
03-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Apparently, he also had deals in place to trade a draft pick for Randy Moss (before Mr. Senility backed out of it) and to trade a draft pick for Tony Gonzalez (before the Chiefs tried to increase the compensation just before the deal was to go down).

I don't doubt that he was in discussions and all that jazz, but I am starting to see a pattern here. ABC. Always be closing.

It seems to me like Thompson settles for the set of steak knives instead of the Cadillac El Dorado.

The only thing that matters is getting them to sign on the line which is dotted. Anything else is just details and making excuses for failure.

HarveyWallbangers
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't doubt that he was in discussions and all that jazz, but I am starting to see a pattern here. ABC. Always be closing.

It seems to me like Thompson settles for the set of steak knives instead of the Cadillac El Dorado.

The only thing that matters is getting them to sign on the line which is dotted. Anything else is just details and making excuses for failure.

I choose to think of it is that he doesn't overpay--which is a good thing. Now, I'd agree with you that he needs to hit on his draft picks. We'll see if the plan works. I'm hoping the new defensive coaching staff will do a better job at helping the defense protect 4th quarter leads next year.

cpk1994
03-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Yeah and before TT sent that pick over to NY, he tried to unload one of our kickers instead. The Giants didn't bite so he sent a future 6th. Not exactly a blockbuster.But he did trade apick. Can't say he hates to trade picks when he traded one. ALso, iwhen you have 2 kikcers, isn't it a good idea to get something for the one you don't want, especiually if another team may need one kicker?

Waldo
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Impossible. First off TT hates to trade picks. Second off he also know better than to give up picks for a guy that's near the end of the line.

Have you seen his drafts? Practically every pick is traded.

He got mighty close to trading for Gonzo, a guy near the end of the line.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM

I agree. It seems like TT comes close with some big trades that could help the team, but for whatever reason he just comes up short. It's hard to figure whether he's just scared to pull the trigger or it's the matter of both parties not coming together.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Yeah and before TT sent that pick over to NY, he tried to unload one of our kickers instead. The Giants didn't bite so he sent a future 6th. Not exactly a blockbuster.But he did trade apick. Can't say he hates to trade picks when he traded one. ALso, iwhen you have 2 kikcers, isn't it a good idea to get something for the one you don't want, especiually if another team may need one kicker?

The Giants didn't need a kicker. They were happy with Tynes. The point is TT did eventually trade the pick, but was reluctant to do so and doesn't like to trade picks, which was the point I was making originally, which is why I don't see him parting with all these picks plus another back to get LT2.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 03:21 PM

You guys are dancing around what I'm trying to say here. I'm not talking about trading picks for other picks. I'm talking about trading picks for players straight up. I don't care how close he got to Gonzo, he didn't make the deal so how close he got is pure speculation.

sharpe1027
03-03-2009, 03:36 PM

You guys are dancing around what I'm trying to say here. I'm not talking about trading picks for other picks. I'm talking about trading picks for players straight up. I don't care how close he got to Gonzo, he didn't make the deal so how close he got is pure speculation.

Name two GMs that have been more active than TT in trying to trade draft picks for players. Now consider that there are 31 other teams. Would you say he is in the top or bottom half of activity?

Partial
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
"Trying" to do something, or for all we know, saying you tried to do something, is quite a bit different than actually doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROhlThs9qY

sharpe1027
03-03-2009, 04:39 PM
"Trying" to do something, or for all we know, saying you tried to do something, is quite a bit different than actually doing it.

Yes, however, it still shows a willingness to part with draft picks.

Try this one.

Name three GMs that actually traded more draft picks for players than TT. If it takes you more than 30 seconds, ask yourself if TT is in the top half or the bottom half of the league in this regard.

Partial
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Try this one.

Name three GMs that actually traded more draft picks for players than TT. If it takes you more than 30 seconds, ask yourself if TT is in the top half or the bottom half of the league in this regard.

Shanahan, Newsome, Piolo. Done. Took about 20ish seconds.

sharpe1027
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Try this one.

Congrats, although I don't think those are all great examples to be providing and I can't make you prove the 20 seconds. :) My point still stands, trades don't happen all that often, and TT has not shown that he is unwilling to offer up picks for players.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Try this one.

Really? How many players have the traded picks for in the past two years?

The Vikings unloaded 3 high picks last year to acquire Allen. Piolo just dumped a 2nd to get Cassell. The Vikings gave a 4th for Rosenfels. The Jets gave two undisclosed picks for Sheppard. The Bucs gave undisclosed picks for Winslow.
In 2007 the Chargers gave a 2nd for Chambers. The Bucs gave 2008 and 2009 picks for Michael Bennett.
I could go on and on, but that research took about 5 mins. The point is GM's trade picks all the time to get players that can improve their roster. I'm all for building with the draft too, but draft picks are a crapshoot, whereas you have better chances with players that have positive track records already in place.

sharpe1027
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
The Vikings unloaded 3 high picks last year to acquire Allen. Piolo just dumped a 2nd to get Cassell. The Vikings gave a 4th for Rosenfels. The Jets gave two undisclosed picks for Sheppard. The Bucs gave undisclosed picks for Winslow.
In 2007 the Chargers gave a 2nd for Chambers. The Bucs gave 2008 and 2009 picks for Michael Bennett.
I could go on and on, but that research took about 5 mins. The point is GM's trade picks all the time to get players that can improve their roster. I'm all for building with the draft too, but draft picks are a crapshoot, whereas you have better chances with players that have positive track records already in place.

I should hope you can find a lot of examples considering there are 32 teams and you are drawing over several years. I think you will find that much less than half of the teams trade a pick for a player in any given year.

Bottom line: TT has already shown a willingness to part with draft picks for players. It is a fact, move on.

Guiness
03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Actually, much more rare is a player for player swap. We saw one this year, but that doesn't happen very often.

digitaldean
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM

TT had a deal done in principle and the front office was getting the paperwork of Gonzo for a 3rd round pick. Then Carl Peterson of KC ups the offer from a 3rd to a 2nd, 10 MINUTES before the deadline (not even enough time to get the paperwork changed and send to the league office).

Did he fumble the Moss trade? Probably. The KC deal his fault, no. Carl Peterson got cold feet and for 1 reason or another jacked up the terms at the last minute.

TT has done deals, maybe not enough for the general public, but he has pulled the trigger on some of the bigger FAs. (Pickett, Woodson) Plus, he has found some Pro Bowl caliber talent (Jennings, Ryan Grant). Sometimes, the only way the hater crowd will be happy is for us to suffer through another crappy season and then get TT canned. Even then, he may not be. It may be McCarthy as the fall guy.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM

I should hope you can find a lot of examples considering there are 32 teams and you are drawing over several years.

I took that information from this year, 2008, and 2007. It's not like I went back a decade. You're argument was that picks for player trades are very rare and it's simply not true. I'm ready to move on if you're ready to admit your argument holds no merit.

Partial
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Try this one.

Congrats, although I don't think those are all great examples to be providing and I can't make you prove the 20 seconds. :) My point still stands, trades don't happen all that often, and TT has not shown that he is unwilling to offer up picks for players.

Pioli not a good example? Baltimore not a good example? They are a very consistently good franchise. Shanahan has been pretty hit or miss, I'll give you that.

KYPack
03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Shanny's also not a GM anymore, P.

Joemailman
03-03-2009, 08:22 PM

I should hope you can find a lot of examples considering there are 32 teams and you are drawing over several years.

I took that information from this year, 2008, and 2007. It's not like I went back a decade. You're argument was that picks for player trades are very rare and it's simply not true. I'm ready to move on if you're ready to admit your argument holds no merit.

There actually have been quite a few 2009 draft picks traded for players. More than I would have thought. http://www.gbnreport.com/trades.htm

Bretsky
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM

I should hope you can find a lot of examples considering there are 32 teams and you are drawing over several years. I think you will find that much less than half of the teams trade a pick for a player in any given year.

Bottom line: TT has already shown a willingness to part with draft picks for players. It is a fact, move on.

My gut tells me you would find a hard time listing teams that clearly make these deals less than TTT as well. And if you are not able to do that, would that mean that weakens your stance ?

How many times has TT traded a pick for a player ? Is that more or less than the average team ? Ah, who cares anyways.

TTT is a wheeler and dealer when acquiring picks, but I'd agree with those who say he doens't like to give them away for vets.

And if you disagree, prove me wrong :lol: :wink:

Guiness
03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Since the Gonzo deal was brought up...

Have there been anything new about him moving somewhere? Although I would guess if KC called back to see if the 3rd was still available, TT would hang up on them.

KYPack
03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Since the Gonzo deal was brought up...

Have there been anything new about him moving somewhere? Although I would guess if KC called back to see if the 3rd was still available, TT would hang up on them.

Thought the same thing.

Pioli could call TT re: Gonzo

New regime & all that.

I expected to see Tony go to NE in the Cassel deal. The deal was announced piecemeal & I thought it would be Gonzo and a 2. Ya know, two for two.

I'd take him. Saw him play last year. He's got two years left easy.

texaspackerbacker
03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Why the hell not.

When LT has been on the field the past two seasons, he's been very effective. It's true towards the end of each year he got hurt, but we've got a starter caliber in Grant already. So, it could be a true 50/50 RB system that would not only keep LT with fresh legs heading into a playoff situation, it would also keep Ryan Grant with fresh legs as well. Also, LT's presence alone is going to allow Rodgers to be even more effective then he was last year.

Combine a LT/Grant combo with the WR's we have and a young improving QB: You could see a lot of reason that our offense could be one of the best in the entire nfl.

Normally, I'd be against a deal like this, but pb1234's post makes sense. Besides, I don't have as high an opinion of Brandon Jackson as a lot of people do. As long as we're not talking a first rounder, I'd be happy to see Thompson pull this off.

imscott72
03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Gonzo said last month he has no problems staying in KC if moves are made and I think it's safe to say that's been done.

SkinBasket
03-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Jackson potential is about as clear as a frog's butt. Change the deal to Jackson and our higher 3rd and I wouldn't feel sad.But the Chargers would laugh in your face. Jackson and a 3rd doesn't come even close to getting a deal from the Chargers.

And that's when you tell them that's your offer, if you want better, find one from another team. Then tell them next week it'll be the lower of your 3rds.

SkinBasket
03-04-2009, 07:49 AM

Sounds a lot like you would rather we have Snyder or Al Davis signing players for us. They've demonstrated just how successful the sign the big name at all costs approach can be.

cpk1994
03-04-2009, 08:09 AM

Sounds a lot like you would rather we have Snyder or Al Davis signing players for us. They've demonstrated just how successful the sign the big name at all costs approach can be.You can add Zigi Wilf to that list. He just got to his first playoff game(which they lost) after years of big spending. TT has already been to an NFC Title game.

Zool
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Sounds a lot like you would rather we have Snyder or Al Davis signing players for us. They've demonstrated just how successful the sign the big name at all costs approach can be.You can add Zigi Wilf to that list. He just got to his first playoff game(which they lost) after years of big spending. TT has already been to an NFC Title game.

To be fair, Wilf has only owned the team for 3 seasons and they actually appear to be improving over that time. I've been quite glad about the Vikings crap shoot of QB's lately or they might have actually been good.

Edit: 4 seasons.

sharpe1027
03-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Whoa. No merit? Facts are facts. TT has been willing to offer picks for players. Tough to argue against the facts, but you can keep trying.

The point of the trade frequency argument was to put some perspective on the whole thing. You drew from over 3 years. Considering you are complaining about TT, who has one trade in three years (and attempted at the very least two others), with 32 teams, each team should average at least one a trade year, right? If trades really are so common, you should be able to find a hundred trades since 2007 without breaking a sweat.

Point being, TT's track record isn't abnormal by any means. He traded for Grant and has all but had deals in place for Moss and Gonzo. Feel free to complain about his execution, but don't pretend he isn't willing to give up picks for players.

imscott72
03-04-2009, 09:26 AM

Whoa. No merit? Facts are facts. TT has been willing to offer picks for players. Tough to argue against the facts, but you can keep trying.

The point of the trade frequency argument was to put some perspective on the whole thing. You drew from over 3 years. Considering you are complaining about TT, who has one trade in three years (and attempted at the very least two others), with 32 teams, each team should average at least one a trade year, right? If trades really are so common, you should be able to find a hundred trades since 2007 without breaking a sweat.

Point being, TT's track record isn't abnormal by any means. He traded for Grant and has all but had deals in place for Moss and Gonzo. Feel free to complain about his execution, but don't pretend he isn't willing to give up picks for players.

I'm done with this argument. Clearly you're going to stand by your point despite the fact you keep clinging to what TT "almost" did. One pick for player trade and he's right with all the other GM's? Whatever man..

sharpe1027
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm done with this argument. Clearly you're going to stand by your point despite the fact you keep clinging to what TT "almost" did. One pick for player trade and he's right with all the other GM's? Whatever man..

No, he is not "right with all other GM's." You are putting words in my mouth and introducing the straw man. I am responding to your position that he hates to trade draft picks. I am not arguing about whether he is a good GM, whether he should have traded for more, ect...

Facts are facts. He has been willing to part with draft picks for players. Accept it. I promise that you will sleep better at night. :twisted:

Partial
03-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Sounds a lot like you would rather we have Snyder or Al Davis signing players for us. They've demonstrated just how successful the sign the big name at all costs approach can be.

No, thats not what I'm saying at all. I want us to actually close a deal for once. Randy Moss? Excuses. Jason Taylor? Excuses. Tony Gonzo? Excuses.

Ever since this regime has been in here they've taken their sweet time rebuilding. We went to the championship game, and then what? We fell back down to earth and underachieved, so what is that worth? Not much.

One has to wonder what the heck is going through the mind of the coaching staff right now. They must be freaking out knowing they have 4 DL on the roster, and 3 have shown to be injury prone.

SkinBasket
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM

No, thats not what I'm saying at all. I want us to actually close a deal for once. Randy Moss? Excuses. Jason Taylor? Excuses. Tony Gonzo? Excuses.

Now you're just being stupid again.

Partial
03-04-2009, 12:12 PM

How? Did he close any one of those deals? Scott Pioli gets that kind of stuff done. TT does not. Undeniable fact.

ThunderDan
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Ever since this regime has been in here they've taken their sweet time rebuilding. We went to the championship game, and then what? We fell back down to earth and underachieved, so what is that worth? Not much.

One has to wonder what the heck is going through the mind of the coaching staff right now. They must be freaking out knowing they have 4 DL on the roster, and 3 have shown to be injury prone.

Who in 2007 would have given up the 98 receptions that Moss made? Or the 23 touchdowns? Signing Moss wouldn't have added very many points to our 2007 offense if any.

Signing Moss would have stopped the development of Gregg Jennings. We have a fantastic WR core for years to come because we didn't sign Moss.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
How? Did he close any one of those deals? Scott Pioli gets that kind of stuff done. TT does not. Undeniable fact.

What about the Pittsburgh GM? There is more than one way to skin a cat. Of course, Thompson has about two years to prove he's worth keeping, but I'm okay with the way he goes about his business.

Partial
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM

What about the Pittsburgh GM? There is more than one way to skin a cat. Of course, Thompson has about two years to prove he's worth keeping, but I'm okay with the way he goes about his business.

I am, too, for the most part. Like I said, I wouldn't have paid Canty that much money either, but I do think they need to get a vet to play DE, whether its a cheap or expensive vet does not matter. Rooks typically take a year or two to get strong enough to play the run well, so I think a cheap vet is a better option.

I don't think we need any blockbuster signings to compete next year. I think we just need some depth, or solid backups on the DL. If we can do this, I think we'll be alright and have a shot at the playoffs.

I don't necessarily want TT out there making any crazy trades. But it worries me that when he has tried, he has failed.

Lurker64
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't necessarily want TT out there making any crazy trades. But it worries me that when he has tried, he has failed.

In the examples you cite though, you have to sort of realize that Jason Taylor didn't help Washington any last year (he was hurt) and Gonzalez never got traded to anybody. Getting upset about not completing either of those deals is sort of like getting upset about not signing Justin Griffith in 2006.

I also want to point out, that with a sample size of 3, it is possible that there were legitimate excuses that justify each non-move. It does potentially establish the start of a trend, but that doesn't mean it necessarily does. If you promise to go to a baseball game with your buddies and one one occasion your car breaks down, another occasion you get jumped by thugs and end up in the ICU on the way there, and on one occasion the game gets rained out, it's not as though you deserve to get branded with the "unreliable" tag for this. Anybody saying "If you really wanted to go to that game, you would have prevented it from raining" is probably an idiot.

hoosier
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

In the examples you cite though, you have to sort of realize that Jason Taylor didn't help Washington any last year (he was hurt) and Gonzalez never got traded to anybody. Getting upset about not completing either of those deals is sort of like getting upset about not signing Justin Griffith in 2006.

The Packers would have gone to the SB in 2007 had they signed Justin Griffith.

HarveyWallbangers
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I am, too, for the most part. Like I said, I wouldn't have paid Canty that much money either, but I do think they need to get a vet to play DE, whether its a cheap or expensive vet does not matter. Rooks typically take a year or two to get strong enough to play the run well, so I think a cheap vet is a better option.

My points are: 1) there appear to be several options available with Douglas, Holliday, Wright, the draft, etc., 2) we don't know what contact Thompson has had with those FAs. It could be that he has reached out to some of those guys and he feels they are all about equal, so he's in no rush to overpay one guy over the others.

SkinBasket
03-04-2009, 09:18 PM

The only undeniable fact is that you have no intention of discussing anything with any kind of intellectual honesty.

Partial
03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
No, Skin, I would say thats you, as everyone else is actually, ya know, wait for it... wait for it... wait for it...

having a conversation.

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 02:52 AM
No, Skin, I would say thats you, as everyone else is actually, ya know, wait for it... wait for it... wait for it...

having a conversation.

Well to be true..you are right....a conversation..but it's true your biased hate for all things TT seems to make you a hater. I have no prob. with you as most do, cuz you seem to be a die-hard Pack fan which is coo, but your logic defies your statements, thus, those having a prob. with you.

Snake is a here-now type of guy. TT has done some good stuff in the draft and the jury is out. Those trades were all speculation as Snake acknowledges that.

So what moves should TT make now? FA is a farce with 5 big names for insane money and bunch of guys who make us marginally better (Bart Scott for 6 years 48 million ring my bell)...

Who makes us better? I'd rather resign our own for bargain prices.

cpk1994
03-05-2009, 05:27 AM

How? Did he close any one of those deals? Scott Pioli gets that kind of stuff done. TT does not. Undeniable fact.KC's GM last year upped the requirement 10 minutes before the deadline on Gonzo. You are retarded to blame TT for that one.

SkinBasket
03-05-2009, 07:02 AM

having a conversation.

http://www.agu.edu.bh/elun/Vol4-No3/yawning.jpg

Get back to me when you're not blaming Thompson for not signing every big name FA who YOU think makes the team better, some of whom had no intention of playing in GB. You're one of these people who thinks this is Madden Football and our GM can just go sign every FA available every year. The other 31 teams and the intentions of the players don't exist in your little bubble world except as CPU players who get to pick up your fantasy scraps.

The circumstances for each of those cases has been covered thoroughly. Calling them "excuses" for failing to bring the player to GB against their will or the will of their GM is just being absurd or fucking retarded. So yeah, you're having a "conversation," but your "conversation" might as well be about what color a unicorn's shit is after eating rainbows for how based in reality it is.

run pMc
03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
It is awfully tough sometimes to see other teams (WAS, NYJ) be very active in FA while TT appears to do nothing. I doubt he's sitting around doing nothing...there are lots of deals that almost happen and never do.
Losing Cole isn't a big deal to me. He was helpful with last year's injuries, but he wasn't worth starter money. Corey Williams was a better player IMO and based on his play in CLE he's not worth starter money.
Losing Cole, plus not knowing about Jenkins, Harrell, or Jolly (legal issues) is cause for concern. I think TT will have to draft for depth on the DL. Fine. Cole didn't strike me as a 3-4 DL guy anyway...but I could be wrong.

Canty is a decent player, but not at $7M per. My guess is TT will find someone almost as good for much less...and that's the way he works. Bargain hunting isn't glamorous, but it's better than being salary cap strapped and 8-8 every year.

Besides, I'd rather see TT extend some of GB's own: Jennings, etc. IMO the team is better off keeping the valueable/emerging players that are already familiar with the schemes than overpaying for a (potentially washed up) veteran who might not be a good fit or have trouble picking up the scheme.