PDA

View Full Version : Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila - That's KGB to most.

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Catching Up With...Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila

From Packers.com

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, aka KGB, has built his reputation as a defensive end by terrorizing opposing quarterbacks and frustrating offensive linemen. KGB also has displayed a softer side by participating in activities such as visiting area school, youth and civic groups, as well as attending a variety of public events. Gbaja-Biamila, now second on the Packers' all-time sack list with 58 1/2, had a string of four double digit sack seasons snapped last year and is looking to start another streak in 2006. Packers.com recently sat down with the man known as KGB to see how he would attack some of our random questions.

Packers.com: What are your plans after you finish your career?
KGB: Wherever the good Lord puts me. Right now I am focusing on being the best husband and the best football player I can be, but whatever God has in store for me is where I'll be.

What is the worst job you've ever had?
I've never really had a bad job before.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Anywhere I want to go? (Laughing) At home with my wife and kids! Wherever my wife is!

Who pulls the most pranks on the team?
Well, this team has changed a lot since I got here. It used to be Brett (Favre) back in the day. Some guys change as they get older though, so I really don't know. That's an unknown right now.

What is your favorite TV show?
Oh, I've got a lot of those! It would be in this order: 24, Desperate Housewives, House, and Commander in Chief.

What NFL team do you want to beat the most?
ALL of them!

What is your favorite song?
My favorite song. (Deep in thought) Let's see, I can't bring myself to pick just one.

Who talks the most trash on the team?
Ahmad Carroll. You've already heard that answer for this question haven't you?

What is your proudest accomplishment?
Accepting Jesus Christ.

What is your favorite movie?
Oh man, my favorite movie! I'm going to have to go with the most recent movie I've seen. Let's see, X-Men III and then The Breakup. Those were some good movies this year!

What is your favorite place to eat?
I'm really not an eater, as you can see I'm undersized. Packers.com: At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds? I hate eating to tell you the truth but if I had to pick it would be Red Robin.

Who do you think is the greatest athlete of all time?
Muhammad Ali, by far.

Do you have any nicknames?
My wife calls me Bubba, not Bubba Franks but Bubba!, KGB, Kabooki, Kabeer Kaboom.

Tony Oday
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
You better start eating KGB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 11:05 AM
You better start eating KGB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe, that I read that he has been really into 'the strengthening Program' this off season. I think he said he wanted to get stronger and was working hard on that.

Of course, we'll soon see if that effort pays him and us 'a reward'.

Tony Oday
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Strength is one thing but you need bulk in the NFL to last the season on the lines because you get tired and then these big tackles just lean on you.

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Strength is one thing but you need bulk in the NFL to last the season on the lines because you get tired and then these big tackles just lean on you.

Yes but. . .I still love the way KGB drops that left arm and cycles around the left tackle. If he has that push and doesn't have to swing too far to the right before pursuing the sack - he's very close to hands on. He has to find that step.

I watch him alot and he never gives in, and is facing some pressure fr. criticisms, so I really believe his work ethic will pay off for us.

Also. He loves Green Bay and doesn't want to have to move.

Harlan Huckleby
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes but. . .I still love the way KGB drops that left arm and cycles around the left tackle. If he has that push and doesn't have to swing too far to the .

KGB looks like a mechanical doll to me. Like a rock'um sock'um robot. He's just so stiff, his moves are so predictable.

Of course, you don't miss your water till your well run dry. Lots of guys have been tried at DE the last 5 years, and KGB is still the best of the bunch.

KYPack
07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
& that move appears to be THE move.

All he's got is that edge rush.

He's got to improve against the run. The Vikes were absolutely blowing him off the ball. I love the guy, his attitude is perfect, but if he doesn't pick up his production, we gotta let him go. He's cap prohibitive this season, but next year?

Deputy Nutz
07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Here is a little hint, he is never going to get better at defending the run. He is what he is. The only way he is going to get better is if the coaches use him differently. The reality is, is that he is a defensive end that can be blocked by a fullback or a tight end. Most teams will double the DE in this league to get to the outside, or bust runs off tackle, but when they play the Packers they don't have to worry about that.

Partial
07-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Nuts, on obvious running downs, what would be the ramifications to playing a slower, bigger guy like colin cole at end, who can eat up the tackle and hopefully keep the guard occupied as well so AJ Hawk can make a tackle near the line of scrimmage? Revolutionary? or a very flawed idea? Lets here your thoughts!

KYPack
07-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Nuts, on obvious running downs, what would be the ramifications to playing a slower, bigger guy like colin cole at end, who can eat up the tackle and hopefully keep the guard occupied as well so AJ Hawk can make a tackle near the line of scrimmage? Revolutionary? or a very flawed idea? Lets here your thoughts!

The big problem is money.

We are paying KGB 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down money. He dosn't really earn very much of it KGB is getting paid to stop the run, hold his ground, AND rush the passer and get 11 - 12 sacks a year (some against top teams with good OT's.)

And, as Nutroll has pointed out, he can't do it. But he's getting paid for it. That means he's got to go. We will pay that kind of money, but the player must produce.

Cutting KGB won't happen this year, he's too big a cap hit. So they will shuffle things around at RDE until next season when we hopefully get a hoss at that position.

Dune
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Since GB cannot cut him because of the Cap maybe Montgomery could play on running downs and KGB on passing downs. I here GB is very high on Montgomery.