PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Porter Rumor - Would he fit in with the Packers?

gureski
07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I saw this. It's just speculation but it's interesting...

From ESPN
Sources close to the Raiders indicate that WR Jerry Porter isn't the happiest camper with the way new head coach Art Shell has pushed for more discipline. Sources cite the sometimes tenuous relationship Porter had with Jon Gruden, who, like Shell, was more heavy-handed than Bill Callahan or Norv Turner. The Raiders have dangled Porter as trade bait in the past, so it wouldn't come as a complete surprise for Oakland to shop him if things don't go well early on.

end quote

Porter is listed as 6'2" and weighs 220 lbs.

His size seems to fit that big WR mold that McCarthy desires. I wonder how different the pundits would laud our WR corp if the Packers somehow managed to pick up Porter. I bet they'd love them then.

Tony Oday
07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
F yeah I want him on our team ANY VETERAN WR :)

Brandon494
07-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Not going to happen, and why would we want someone who has discipline problems?

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-11-2006, 11:25 AM
plus we would have to give up at least a second, and with tt as gm no way.

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 11:38 AM
# 84 Jerry Porter Position: WR Height: 6-2 Weight: 220
Born: 07/14/1978 College: West Virginia NFL Experience: 7

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

02 Oak. 16 14 51 688 13.5 36 9 12 0 36
03 Oak. 10 1 28 361 12.9 35 1 5 0 21
04 Oak. 16 16 64 998 15.6 52 9 17 5 47
05 Oak. 16 14 76 942 12.4 49 5 14 2 45

He is 28 year's old.

Jerry Porter's Stat's are solid. The last four years show that he dressed for 58 games and started 45 of them (only started one game in 2003 and dressed for ten).

In that period, or 2002-05 Jerry Porter - had 219 receptions for 2989 yards (13.65 yard avg.) and a total of 24 TD's.

If he is available? TT should seriously investigate making him a Packer.

In 2004, Porter led the Raiders with 64 catches for 998 yards and nine touchdowns, falling just short of his first 1,000-yard season. His receptions were a career high, and he scored three touchdowns in a game twice.

He was a FA but re-signed last year with the Raiders. He was injured in TC last August (he recovered from a pulled hamstring) and came on to play in 16 games and start 14 games - with a career season high 76 catch's for a solid 942 yards and 5 TD's.

I'm looking for recent developments on Jerry Porter. This from last year's TC:

Porter was hurt during a team scrimmage Aug. 1. The sixth-year receiver limped off the field and an exam revealed the damage.

Coach Norv Turner and Porter initially downplayed the severity of the injury, but the coach updated the prognosis and said Porter might return to practice late next week but would not play Aug. 13.

"I certainly would not expect him to play in the 49er game," Turner said.

"We're not going to take any chances rushing him into a preseason game. He was going awfully good the four or five days he practiced and had an outstanding offseason. We can get Jerry ready."

I don't see alot negative against him a year ago.

the_idle_threat
07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
This guy's production never seems to match up to his hype and talent. We've got two guys like that already in Fergie and Gardner.

MTPackerfan
07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I think it is worth looking into. Porter has had some good years and seems pretty solid. With a good QB he could turn into something. Don't know what we would have to give up though to get him.

MadtownPacker
07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
This guy's production never seems to match up to his hype and talent. We've got two guys like that already in Fergie and Gardner.Yeah but Porter has never had a QB like Favre slinging him the ball.

Hell yes to Porter if he can be gotten for a good deal but Al Davis wont let thet happen cuz he covets speedy WRs.

Pack0514
07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
How many years left on his contract and how much is he getting paid?

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
How many years left on his contract and how much is he getting paid?

I'm trying to determine that answer Pack0514 but I'll leave you now with this:

a fan says:

'The only choices here are Porter behaves Porter plays, or Porter misbehaves he rides the pine. Porter will not be traded due to his prohivitive cap numbers. I think the Raiders would put an cap damaging malcontent in the bench before shipping him another team, be used against us, and still have to "on paper" pay for him. Porter would sit on the bench where he can only hurt himself atleast till he becomes cap tradeable.

other fan comments on Jerry Porter:

** "If Porter doesnt get his attitude together I could see this happening. As of late I havent heard of him acting up. But dont think for a second Coach Shell or Al Davis will put up with it. For the right deal I could see Porter being sent off. My hope is that he gets his act together, compliments R.Moss, and is a Leader for all the other WR's to see.

It all depends on J.Porter what happens....It all depends on Porter!!!!"

** "Porter isnt going nowhere this year."

** " This seems to be another boring offseason, media fabricated, rumor. Porter will sit before being traded. Don't get me wrong, I like trading star players to fill needs, but the economics dictate Porter sticking around."

** "I don't see it happening. Jerry has towed the line before and I believe will again. Only time will tell, but I don't see it happening unless he has a total melt down... "

wist43
07-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Porter is a very good receiver... As someone else mentioned Oakland has had QB problems - not to mention front office idiocy that is a constant out there.

If Porter were available in a trade, he'd certainly be worth looking at.

jack's smirking revenge
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
I agree. With our WR corps, Porter could help IMMEDIATELY. He's had some issues, but he was in Oakland and his best years were with Rich Gannon firing the ball his way. He hasn't been consistent since Gannon got injured. He was relatively productive when Gannon was healthy. He could be that again with Favre slinging the ball his way.

IMAGINE: Driver, Porter, Gardner/Boerigter, Jennings, Rodgers...oh, yeah...and Ferguson. Pretty solid starting WRs.

I'd be really excited if we were able to land him somehow.

tyler

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
From the horses mouth:

Raiders Re-Sign WR Jerry Porter

February 22, 2005

Raiders.com

The Oakland Raiders have re-signed wide receiver Jerry Porter.
The 26-year old Porter led the Raiders in all three major receiving categories last year with 64 catches for 998 yards - both career highs, and nine touchdowns, which tied a career high set in 2002.

"We're pleased to have Jerry back in Silver and Black for the long term," said Raiders Head Coach Norv Turner. "Although he posted career numbers last year, we feel that Jerry's best football is still ahead of him."

Porter surpassed previous career highs set in 2002 when he recorded 51 catches for 688 yards, helping the Raiders rank first in the NFL in passing and total offense.

In 2002, he helped the Raiders become the first team in pro football history to play in Super Bowls in four different decades as the Silver and Black captured the AFC Championship and represented the conference in Super Bowl XXXVII. He led the NFL in postseason receiving yards (237) in 2002 and tied for first in the league in touchdown catches with three, including one in the Super Bowl.

"I'm happy to return to the Raiders and I'm ready to get started on a new football season," said Porter. "This year, a year stronger, another year with Kerry, another year in Norv's offense, it's only going to get better."

The Raiders selected Porter in the second round of the 2000 draft out of West Virginia. For his career, Porter has 163 catches for 2,273 yards with 19 touchdowns in five pro seasons.

WR Jerry Porter had two games in which he caught three touchdown passes -against Tennessee on December 19 and on November 28 at Denver.

Porter caught at least one pass in every game in 2004 and begins the 2005 season having caught a pass in 22 consecutive games dating back to the 2003 season.

The Washington D.C. native hauled in two of the Raiders' six pass plays of 50 yards or longer last year, catching a 51-yarder from Kerry Collins for a touchdown on December 5 versus Kansas City and nabbing a 52-yard score from Collins on November 28 at Denver, which was a career-long.

Porter had three 100-yard games in 2004 to up his career total to four and established single game highs with eight catches for 148 yards on December 19 versus Tennessee. Porter had two games in which he caught three touchdown passes - against Tennessee on December 19 and on November 28 at Denver.

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
An earlier article on Jerry Porter:

On the Rise: Jerry Porter

March 24, 2003

By Nick Beach

We kick off our new series entitled On the Rise with a look at WR Jerry Porter and his breakout 2002 season. Log on every Monday for a new installment as we profile players On the Rise...

WR Jerry Porter led the Raiders with nine receiving touchdowns in 2002.

Lisa Coelho:

Jerry Porter had a breakout year in his third season as a receiver for the Oakland Raiders. With his outstanding play and improved statistics, Porter established himself as a premier wide receiver in the National Football League. He became a vital force in The Oakland Raiders top ranked offense during the 2002 regular season. Before the beginning of the 2002 season, Porter worked extremely hard during the offseason to further enhance and strengthen himself at the wide receiver position. Maturity was something that Head Coach Bill Callahan saw of Porter when he arrived at the beginning of the season. "I think that's the biggest thing about Jerry Porter - he's used the offseason to really mature in his role, mature at his position." Said Callahan, "We've really defined his role. In the offseason we let him know that he was going to be instrumental [in 2002]."

Although the Raiders have two future Hall-of-Famers in wide receivers Tim Brown and Jerry Rice, the one who led the team in receiving touchdowns was none other than Jerry Porter. "I think Jerry is going to continue to grow," Rice said. "His work ethic has changed so much. He is only going to get better." Porter's nine touchdowns during the regular season, along with the only two of the Raiders successful two-point conversions, credits him with over 13 percent of the Raiders points this past season. "Not bad for a guy who got his first touchdown this year," Porter said with a smile when told of the statistic.

Porter almost tripled his career production in 2002.

Lisa Coelho:

That first touchdown came against the Pittsburgh Steelers in week two, a game that would introduce the Raiders as a dominant passing team, and introduce Jerry Porter as yet another dominant Raiders receiver. "I knew if I got a good release I was going to score," said Porter, who beat cornerback Chad Scott down the middle of the field for a memorable first touchdown.

"Jerry Porter down the middle of the field for a touchdown" became a common play-by-play call throughout the season. Porter caught similar touchdown passes against the Steelers, Bills, Chargers, Broncos, and Cardinals. "A lot of teams don't guard the middle of the field well," said the West Virginia alum, "they don't guard the deep middle that well and we took advantage of it." Before the 2002 season, Porter had a combined 20 receptions for 226 yards in his first two seasons. He easily exceeded that, more than doubling those figures in 2002 with 51 receptions for 688 yards. On top of that, he led the team in yards per reception with a 13.5 average. Brown commented on Porter's emergence, "he's a great young player, a guy who's willing and eager to learn the game."

"Jerry is the future as far as the Raiders' receiving corps goes.
It's going to be his baby to raise one day." - WR Tim Brown

During the post-season, Porter continued his outstanding play and helped put the Raiders into the Super Bowl for the first time in 19 years. In a Divisional match-up against the New York Jets, Porter turned into a star with the best game of his career. "My best game of the season, I'd probably say that playoff game against the Jets," said Porter. He caught six balls for 123 yards, which included a snazzy 29-yard touchdown grab down the sidelines and a game breaking 50-yard catch and run that set up another Raiders touchdown. Against the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Championship, Porter showed no signs of slowing down. He caught four balls for 52 yards, including the first touchdown of the day, a leaping three-yard reception in the middle of the endzone.

In Super Bowl XXXVII, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Porter became the only Raiders player with a touchdown in all three playoff games. His 39-yard touchdown reception, in which he caught the ball in the back of the endzone with one foot down and dragging the other, was the first of the day for the Raiders. Porter finished with four receptions for 62 yards in the Raiders unfortunate losing effort.

Porter was the only Raider to score a touchdown in all three playoff games last season.

Demonstrating his personality on and off the field, Porter earned the Ed Block Courage Award.

The award represents Ed Block, a former Baltimore Colts trainer, who used to give his own award for courage to players who were in the process of rehabilitating a serious injury. Each of the 32 NFL teams now vote for and present the award to a player who showed courage while rehabilitating from an injury, with the award.

Porter bounced back from a serious shoulder injury he suffered during the 2001 playoffs to have the greatest season of his young career. Upon receiving the award at a banquet dinner, Porter had this to say about being the recipient. "It means a lot to me because there's a lot of guys on this team this year that played hurt and had to battle with, if not surgery then rehab, this offseason and are playing well this year," said Porter. "It means a lot to me that my teammates have chosen me to be the recipient of this award."

Now that the Raiders are into their offseason, Porter has plans to improve himself in any way possible to ensure that he will be even more effective next year for the defending AFC Champions. "You don't want to gain too much weight. When you're not playing it's easy to gain weight in the offseason," Porter explained. "I'm going to come in and try to maintain my weight. Getting closer to mini-camp time I"m going to go on this diet. One of my offseason goals is I want to cut about 10-15 pounds off, just to see what I feel like. If that works it should be a faster, slimmer, trimmer, more explosive me this year."

As for expectations on the Raiders upcoming season, "it just depends on what we have to work with," he said. "If we can keep our nucleus together and keep the players that helped us get better at all of the positions, we should not be satisfied with anything shorter than a Super Bowl victory."

Porter's size and speed make him a difficult match-up for defensive backs.

Lisa Coelho:

Brown realizes that the Raiders future has a lot to do with Porter. "Jerry is the future as far as the Raiders' receiving corps goes," said Brown. "It's going to be his baby to raise one day."

Looking forward to this season, Porter expressed that he would simply like to "do more." He realizes that he has progressed every year since his emergence in 1999. "I'm just trying to build on each previous year," said the Washington D.C. native. "My rookie year I really didn't do anything, the next year I got a little bit, and this year I go a little bit more. I just want to get more than I did last year, just do more."

With an attitude like that there's no telling what else he'll be capable of this season.

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Posted on Sat, May. 06

New sheriff for Raiders

By Steve Corkran
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

ALAMEDA - Things are going to be different around here, the new coach says. How many times have you heard that whenever a change of leadership takes place?

Art Shell said as much upon his replacing Norv Turner as Raiders coach Feb. 12. Any doubts as to the veracity of Shell's comments were erased in face-to-face meetings with the players soon after his hiring.

In one such meeting, veteran wide receiver Jerry Porter tested the waters and soon learned that this no longer is Turner's team. A get-to-know-you meeting turned into a war of words and ended with Shell booting Porter from his office. But not before letting Porter know who is in charge.

"Attitudes and things like that will have to be changed somewhat ... ," Shell said. "I have to set the tone. I expect to set the tone."

He continued that process Friday during the first practice of the team's three-day minicamp that concludes Sunday.

"The (team's) attitude has changed because he's demanding it," offensive tackle Robert Gallery said. "This place is moving in the right direction."

Shell inherits a team that has won only 13 games the past three seasons. Those three losing seasons are one more than Shell experienced as a player from 1968-82 and as a coach in his five full seasons -- he replaced Mike Shanahan five games into the 1989 season.

"I know how to win," Shell said. "I know how to lead. I expect that we will have the kind of success that this organization deserves."

Veteran offensive lineman Barry Sims said he already notices a stark contrast to the way Shell runs the team compared with the way things operated under Turner the past two seasons and Bill Callahan in 2002 and '03.

The players know what is expected of them, Sims said. Everybody knows his role. What Shell says, he means. Defensive tackle Warren Sapp said last year's team was a fractured bunch.

"The last few years, it seemed a little too loose, like we didn't really have the leadership that we have now ... ," Sims said. "It feels like we're on the right path, everybody's doing the right thing.

"Everybody's held accountable for our actions and what we do. The only way you'll be successful is to have that accountability."

You get the feeling that a player won't take to the airwaves to vent his frustration over Shell's coaching style, the way cornerback Charles Woodson did toward Callahan in 2003. Or that wide receiver Randy Moss won't be bolting the locker room just as Shell is entering to deliver his postgame speech, as Moss did after Turner's final game last season.

Such is the benefit of being a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, playing on two Super Bowl-winning teams and guiding a team to the playoffs three times as coach. It doesn't hurt that Shell commands respect by standing 6-foot-3 and weighing 250 pounds or so.

That intimidating presence is something Shell wants opposing teams to feel from his players.

"I expect to be a tough football team," Shell said. "When you walk out there, when you walk into that stadium, you walk out there with a presence. Mr. Davis (Al, managing general partner) called it a swagger. Yeah, a swagger.

"You walk out there with a presence. And I just want to get back to the point where when we walk into a stadium, they know the Raiders are in town. And when we walk into the Coliseum, the Raiders are here."

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
An Oakland fan's recent comments/opinion - on 'the Jerry Porter is a cancer' Rumor

For what it may be worth to you:

GET IT STRAIGHT, HE ( Jerry Porter) ISN'T THAT BAD

June 21/06

Although, not all, but some of you keep putting Jerry Porter in that cancer category, which is so not true....Whatever problems he had with art are all solved, which really wasn't much to be honest with, because this never made this headlines.....

I have never seen any players say anything bad about porter, not once, and you have neither, and if so, I want to see it....

Some put him in the same class with Charles Woodson, but Porter has never been arrested, and he is not out there smoking herb. He is really a silly person, who is laughing most of the time, he also contributes to the team, and he could've left us like all the other former Raider's, who left us to dry, and Jerry had quite a bit of takers, but he stayed anyway, and AL "the don" Davis loves loyalty, give Jerry a little more credit than that....

Now this isn't everybody that I am talking to, because a lot have left it alone for the most part, because the debacle has died down.

Jerry is playing with Aaron Brooks quite well in practice, as it has been reported, but I want to give you guys the true meaning of the word cancer, because a few of you don't realize what a cancer really is....

Art (Shell) and Jerry Porter are getting along fine, it's over, and there wasn't really anything that was bad in the first place.....

a cancer is a player who is ruining a team, making headlines, and giving the team a bad reputation, and Jerry has done nothing of that sorts.....Jerry is a cancer only in the zodiac sign, but that is it....

here is an example of the true cancers in the league, to help some of you out, and if you wanna add to the list, then feel free.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s7259.jpg

This guy hasn't been here 2 years and he is a problem already. he is giving his coach a headache.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s5037.jpg

He is not speaking at all to eli, and that is messed up, and his teammates have commented about him being a cancer.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s5034.jpg

He's a hell of a back, but he has really made a bad name for himself in the streets, and in the pen. not to mention he really complained a lot this year, and the damn team stood by him when he was locked up.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s3499.jpg

We know what he can bring to the table, he has been benched, and kicked off a team by our own Jon Gruden, and let's not forget that famous argument with Bledsoe, so he is a cancer.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6338.jpg

Bad work ethic, drugs, and his willingness to slouch in practice may not get him on the field much in detroit of all teams....now you wanna talk about a player making a lot of money and not doing anything, he is the one.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s5492.jpg

Look at this guy......look at what he did already with the vikes?...he is gonna have a lot of time in the communtiy service department.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6764.jpg

He is considered one also. he has served a little time too.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s4271.jpg

Yup, he (WHO's THAT GUY?) is considered one also by you guys....not me...lol....just joking.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6770.jpg

Truth be told, his snide, and cocky comments last season about him always gonna ride motorcycles, didn't get him nowhere now did it?.....technically, he may have ruined the team, but we will see as time goes on.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s5591.jpg

Even he was a cancer in carolina until we saved him.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s4653.jpg

Well, we all know about him, and some of you guys wanted him to come here once he got back from suspension, remember?

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s3664.jpg

Last, but surely not least, the ultimate cancer. T.O......he turned a great team into losers in one damn season.....

Anyhoo, you guys can make the call, but Jerry is not a cancer, at least not in my eyes....

You can add to this list if you wish.....but I hope I proved my point, because jerry has never done any of the things these kats have....peace

Comment : That Raider fan, really wanted to make his point, that Jerry Porter isn't any real concern as a cancerous problem for his team.

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Comment by : Jerry McDonald of Insidebayarea.com from his article:

Ten Raiders who need to make big impact this season

LINK:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_4061403

On Jerry Porter:

"Porter can be funny and engaging one moment, moody and surly the next. His play has been much like his moods — memorable catches and games mixed in with periods in which he becomes invisible"