PDA

View Full Version : Stupid JSO headlines

Guiness
03-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I stopped by JSO cause I was just idling (and there were no new posts here to speak of) and shook my head at the headlines over there. Here's an example:

Tony Mandarich is still sorry

Then goes on to have a 1 paragraph article about his new book. This is a National Enquirer level of journalism.

They disguise poor writing by calling it a blog, but anyway you dress it up, it's shitty writing.

I hope quoting a headline doesn't break their vaunted copy-wrong rules.

Zool
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
If by sorry they mean a marginal NFL player at best, then I agree.

Fritz
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I stopped by JSO cause I was just idling (and there were no new posts here to speak of) and shook my head at the headlines over there. Here's an example:

Tony Mandarich is still sorry

Then goes on to have a 1 paragraph article about his new book. This is a National Enquirer level of journalism.

They disguise poor writing by calling it a blog, but anyway you dress it up, it's shitty writing.

I hope quoting a headline doesn't break their vaunted copy-wrong rules.

How true that is.

texaspackerbacker
03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry as in sorry-assed excuse for high first round pick?

Or sorry as in apologizing to the Packers and fans appearing to be so much better a prospect than he was?

I don't remember back then if this was a big topic for discussion or not, but somebody in the Packers front office sure didn't do their job with regard to checking into exactly what made Mandarich tick in college football. Steroids weren't exactly unheard of back then.

Fritz
03-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Ah, the good ol' days. Tony Mandarich. Rich Campbell. Brent Fullwood.

Bretsky
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry ass was drafting a dam OL instead of a OLB or RB

Sorry ass was winning that last game so we got stuck with pick #2 instead of pick #1

Lurker64
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Sorry ass was winning that last game so we got stuck with pick #2 instead of pick #1

Getting the #2 pick that year wasn't all that bad, you had your choice of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, or Deion Sanders. That's three guys who are, or are going to be, in the hall of fame.

The problem was really that they just blew that pick, possibly like no pick has been blown before or since.

Zool
03-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Getting the #2 pick that year wasn't all that bad, you had your choice of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, or Deion Sanders. That's three guys who are, or are going to be, in the hall of fame.

The problem was really that they just blew that pick, possibly like no pick has been blown before or since.

Sam Bowie

digitaldean
03-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Barry Sanders... Tony Mandarich.... Barry Sanders.... Tony Mandarich

Damn it B, you sure are making it tough to decide on who we should have taken!

Guiness
03-05-2009, 01:54 AM

Or sorry as in apologizing to the Packers and fans appearing to be so much better a prospect than he was?

I don't remember back then if this was a big topic for discussion or not, but somebody in the Packers front office sure didn't do their job with regard to checking into exactly what made Mandarich tick in college football. Steroids weren't exactly unheard of back then.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not picking on you tpb - many spout this line, and it's just wrong. Did you follow the draft then?

The truth is, it wasn't just the Packers who were fooled, it was EVERYONE. Mandarich was touted as the can't miss prospect of the decade. Put him in the most important position on the line, and forget about it for a decade. You know the term 'pancake block'? It was invented to describe what he did to defensive linemen in college. The term didn't exist before he came along.

The steroids? Again, he got by everyone, including the testers. He (and others on his team) borrowed urine from clean players, and filled their cups with it. He was tested several times, and never came back positive.

He fooled everyone. After the draft, I remember seeing a talking head saying Dallas would rue the day they gave up a guaranteed great player in exchange for the sexy QB pick.

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 02:15 AM

Sam Bowie

Damn Zool, you may be a bastard, but your quick, short comeback are impossible to refute. Hard to argue that one.

http://web.mit.edu/mokang/Public/fail.jpg

cpk1994
03-05-2009, 04:03 AM

Sorry ass was winning that last game so we got stuck with pick #2 instead of pick #1You do realize if the Packers ended yp with #1 and took Aikman, a certain someone would never have made ti to GB.

Patler
03-05-2009, 05:13 AM

Sorry ass was winning that last game so we got stuck with pick #2 instead of pick #1You do realize if the Packers ended yp with #1 and took Aikman, a certain someone would never have made ti to GB.

Ron Wolf? Mike Holmgren? :lol:

cpk1994
03-05-2009, 05:21 AM

Ron Wolf? Mike Holmgren? :lol:I was thinking Ty Detmer, but those work. :lol:

Pugger
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not picking on you tpb - many spout this line, and it's just wrong. Did you follow the draft then?

The truth is, it wasn't just the Packers who were fooled, it was EVERYONE. Mandarich was touted as the can't miss prospect of the decade. Put him in the most important position on the line, and forget about it for a decade. You know the term 'pancake block'? It was invented to describe what he did to defensive linemen in college. The term didn't exist before he came along.

The steroids? Again, he got by everyone, including the testers. He (and others on his team) borrowed urine from clean players, and filled their cups with it. He was tested several times, and never came back positive.

He fooled everyone. After the draft, I remember seeing a talking head saying Dallas would rue the day they gave up a guaranteed great player in exchange for the sexy QB pick.

Guinees is right. EVERYBODY thought Tony was gonna be all world. He did have a fairly decent career in Indy if memory serves but this is why the draft can be such a crap shoot. There have been a litany of players taken real high that just couldn't cut it in the NFL and even more guys taken in late rounds (or not at all in the draft) who have busts in Canton.

KYPack
03-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Hey Guinness

Not to nitpick on you, but I see this said from time to time.

'Pancake block' is an ancient football term. It pre-dates Mandarich by many years.

I've also seen it quoted that the term was invented for Bill Fralic, Orlando Pace and others. It wasn't. It was invented by some old line Coach or an Indian Chief or somebody. I first heard it from an old line coach who had a number of funny football terms that made everybody laugh.

He was really good at putting 'Fuck" in the middle of words. Like "out fucking standing", etc.

Guiness
03-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey Guinness

Not to nitpick on you, but I see this said from time to time.

'Pancake block' is an ancient football term. It pre-dates Mandarich by many years.

I've also seen it quoted that the term was invented for Bill Fralic, Orlando Pace and others. It wasn't. It was invented by some old line Coach or an Indian Chief or somebody. I first heard it from an old line coach who had a number of funny football terms that made everybody laugh.

He was really good at putting 'Fuck" in the middle of words. Like "out fucking standing", etc.

Knew one of those guys too. Un-fucking-believable was his favorite.

Anyways, looks like your right. I had heard that it was first used to describe Mandarich's play, but looks like it pre-dated him. Here's a good page
http://tidedruid.wordpress.com/2007/07/25/a-brief-history-pancakes/

Bigger problem with TM isn't how bad he was, it's who was on the board when he was taken. 3 or the 4 top picks had HOF careers. Fifth pick just isn't there yet (Deion).

SnakeLH2006
03-07-2009, 12:10 AM
[quote=KYPack]
It was invented by some old line Coach or an Indian Chief or somebody. I first heard it from an old line coach who had a number of funny football terms that made everybody laugh.

That's Keifer Sutherland's catch phrase in the new Call of Duty World at War. Snake likes shooting shit as is an ace at that game...as that is Jack Bauer's (love 24 here) catch phrase every time I ace a match on there. Mission...where you at? Get that shit online now!
:lol: 8-)