PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is Poppinga Worth?

Fritz
03-04-2009, 02:39 PM
In one of those fantasy scenarios that we all use to escape the real world, I got to wondering what Brady Poppinga might be worth to another team in terms of a draft pick.

Obviously he was a fourth rounder and was a starter last year. He also has what I would say is a fairly reasonable contract.

Would anybody trade for such a guy? If so, what might a team part with to get him? Is he worth more now than the fourth round pick he was drafted with, or is he worth less?

Just wondering.

Spaulding
03-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Unfortunately I can't imagine if he did have trade value that he'd be worth more than a 6th. The potential (or hope) of a 4th rounder I think would have more value than a marginal starter.

Deputy Nutz
03-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Right now, nothing in terms of a trade. I think this move to the 3-4 is going to possibly help Poppinga more than any other player. I wouldn't go so far to call him one dimensional, but I would say that he can only handle one job or responsibility per snap. You really can't ask him to read play action pass, or even understand plays like a counter, or a boot leg pass.

He can make his living the next couple of years by pinning his ears back and going after the QB.

mraynrand
03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/bb9-gross-spit.jpg

texaspackerbacker
03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Why is a pick in the draft almost always gonna be worth more than a fairly average 3rd or 4th year player drafted with a same round pick?

Because with the rookie you get with the pick, you have his services for several more years without worrying about having to pay him big money or lose him.

I'm not necessarily saying Popinga is fairly average or better or worse, just comparing his value to a similar quality newly drafted rookie.

Fritz
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, isn't his contract pretty reasonable for a starter? If so, if he's kinda serviceable, I just wondered if he'd be worth a pick for a team plugging a hole.

Guess nto.

texaspackerbacker
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, isn't his contract pretty reasonable for a starter? If so, if he's kinda serviceable, I just wondered if he'd be worth a pick for a team plugging a hole.

Guess nto.

Maybe, but not even a 4th rounder, because that team would only have the benefit of his cheap contract for a couple of years--unlike a rookie who you get cheap for what, 5 or 6 years? That would assume that quality-wise, he's about equal to an average 4th rounder.

I like Popinga; I'm just talking about value based on how many years a team would have him for that price.

Waldo
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
As much as the contract, a draft pick has a much higher chance of being elite than Poppinga. It has a much higher chance of busting, but that elite potential of a draft pick gives it a premium over a guy drafted at that spot that is not elite.

5rh-6th rd pick IMO.

Pops is a pretty good 4-3 SLB IMO. Chillar was brought in to start over him as a FA, and he couldn't beat out Brady. Brady's ability to be stout at the POA is quite good for a linebacker.

Brandon494
03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Nothing higher than a 6th rounder.

Bretsky
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
late 4th tops
Probably a 5th

bobblehead
03-05-2009, 12:20 AM
As much as the contract, a draft pick has a much higher chance of being elite than Poppinga. It has a much higher chance of busting, but that elite potential of a draft pick gives it a premium over a guy drafted at that spot that is not elite.

5rh-6th rd pick IMO.

Pops is a pretty good 4-3 SLB IMO. Chillar was brought in to start over him as a FA, and he couldn't beat out Brady. Brady's ability to be stout at the POA is quite good for a linebacker.

Actually Chillar was brought in to start in games where the other team had a marquee pass catching TE....and he did that very well.

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 03:03 AM
Popps is garbage. Never liked that deal last year. Never saw an UPSIDE nor the warrant for that cash. His trade value is 0. I can't imagine a team giving us a pick for a guy (with million owed yet too) who can't pass rush or stop the run or defend a pass. Popps sucks. Go on Madden and see what you can get. :shock: :cry:

mission
03-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Nothing.

(only because I expected to see this reply and didn't... it's on record :lol: )

SnakeLH2006
03-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Nothing.

Exactly....who would give up a pick for Popps now, esp. at his millions rate? No one. Madden Xbox is a deece barometer for worth. Mission knows that. BTW, I'd own you on there. :D

mission
03-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Nothing.

Exactly....who would give up a pick for Popps now, esp. at his millions rate? No one. Madden Xbox is a deece barometer for worth. Mission knows that. BTW, I'd own you on there. :D

Im not so sure about that! When I had my little gift card hustle, I went hams and bought just about everything ... turned out I bought a $100 network router instead of the "receiver" so I can't catch wif and im not tryin to take it back... I have a $60 live card sitting here, just waiting ... 8-)

Packnut
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
This guy would be lucky to be a back-up on another team. He can't cover, shed blocks or make tackles.

KYPack
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
This guy would be lucky to be a back-up on another team. He can't cover, shed blocks or make tackles.

He ain't shit for cover. His shed has vastly improved and he can do it. He went into a tailspin mentally last season and did miss tackles. but that is the strength of his game.

I really feel Pop is a good player who was asked to do a job he wasn't capable of performing. Having Kevin Greene around and Capers, those boys should be able to take what Pop can do well and use it in their defensive sheme.

The problem is he is being paid 3 down money and he may be a 1 down guy. If that's the case, they'll have to cut him and use that $ for a guy who is worth the bread.

sharpe1027
03-05-2009, 10:58 AM

5rh-6th rd pick IMO.

Actually Chillar was brought in to start in games where the other team had a marquee pass catching TE....and he did that very well.

Nah. That is just what he ended up doing. When he was first brought in, Chillar was expected to compete for the full-time position.

Much has been made of Pop's coverage skills, but for all the talk, he has gotten to the point that he is serviceable in coverage and I think he will be fine dropping into a zone area. Most LBs would struggle running man-on-man with the better TEs. Chillar got on the field because he was just that damn good at it.

Harlan Huckleby
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Popps is garbage.

They brought-in Chillar to beat him out, didn't happen.

Joemailman
03-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I guess that makes Chillar sewage.

Harlan Huckleby
03-05-2009, 11:43 AM
The "Three Legged Stool" thread in FYI may provide some guidance.

Packnut
03-05-2009, 12:21 PM

He ain't shit for cover. His shed has vastly improved and he can do it. He went into a tailspin mentally last season and did miss tackles. but that is the strength of his game.

I really feel Pop is a good player who was asked to do a job he wasn't capable of performing. Having Kevin Greene around and Capers, those boys should be able to take what Pop can do well and use it in their defensive sheme.

The problem is he is being paid 3 down money and he may be a 1 down guy. If that's the case, they'll have to cut him and use that $ for a guy who is worth the bread.

I lost count the number of times he had a RB dead in his tracks only to hit him high and have the back bounce off and get away. Your taught in HS how to freakin tackle. With the money Thompson stupidly gave him, there's no excuses for his lousy play. Most of the time on runs to his side, he was no where around.

Where is the ACCOUNTABILITY? How many excuses do we keep making? The last time I checked, this is the NFL my friend, not the WUS (wish upon a star) league. There is no magic that's going to make a lousy player into a star.

Sure Popp is a great guy. High motor, high character and just the salt of the earth, but he SUCKS as a LB. This is all about winning, not a popularity contest. Like I said, to many excuses around here when a 6-10 season warrants accountability from the GM on down to the players because without accountability you end up the Detroit Lions!

Zool
03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
http://trinitypastor.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/broken_record.jpg

Fritz
03-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I guess that makes Chillar sewage.

Only if he's older...

sharpe1027
03-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I lost count the number of times he had a RB dead in his tracks only to hit him high and have the back bounce off and get away. Your taught in HS how to freakin tackle. With the money Thompson stupidly gave him, there's no excuses for his lousy play. Most of the time on runs to his side, he was no where around.

Where is the ACCOUNTABILITY? How many excuses do we keep making? The last time I checked, this is the NFL my friend, not the WUS (wish upon a star) league. There is no magic that's going to make a lousy player into a star.

Sure Popp is a great guy. High motor, high character and just the salt of the earth, but he SUCKS as a LB. This is all about winning, not a popularity contest. Like I said, to many excuses around here when a 6-10 season warrants accountability from the GM on down to the players because without accountability you end up the Detroit Lions!

Considering that he was still our best LB at that position, I don't think the money was stupidly spent. Can you imagine how bad it would have been with the guys that could not beat him out?

Perspective people. Nobody has all-stars at every position. It is about putting the best overall product you can out there. Sometimes that means you have less-than-ideal guys at certain positions. Pop was our third best LB. He beat out a starter from another team. Maybe he does "SUCK" according to some people's expectations, but the evidence suggests that he would start on other teams. Perspective.

texaspackerbacker
03-05-2009, 01:44 PM
The "Three Legged Stool" thread in FYI may provide some guidance.

You talkin' shit again, Harlan?

There seems to be a lot of that old syndrome in here about some posters never respecting any player already on the Packers--the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Popinga is kinda ordinary--nothing spectacular, but he gets the job done aagainst the run, he might be a half decent pass rusher, and he wasn't as bad as the detractors like to claim in pass coverage. I think he should be better as a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 OLB, and I think he could also be a decent backup ILB.

Just the same, for reasons I stated earlier, I don't think they could get more than a 6th rounder for him. Thus, they're better off keeping him.

Fritz
03-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Part of my thinking in posting this thread is my wonder at how much more a draft pick is valued (most times) than an actual player.

If you're willing to agree that Poppinga is an average NFL linebacker (debatable, but for argument's sake let's agree), doesn't it seem surprising that all you might get - in terms of a draft pick - for an average NFL starting linebacker is, like, a fifth or sixth round pick?

I would surmise that this is because (as someone mentioned earlier) the lure of hitting a home run with a fifth or sixth round pick is greater than the comfort of having a guaranteed but average starter. I find this fascinating, and I would then wonder what the rate of "home run hitting" with late picks is. I can think of Marques Colston and Donald Driver as what I'd call "home runs" in late rounds. But I wonder what the odds are - how often that happens.

I suppose if you're Matt Millen or the Cincinnati Bungals GM (Is that Mike Brown?) your rate would be abysmal. But even for an astute GM, how high would that be?

texaspackerbacker
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Like I said, it has more to do with how long you have the guy (compared to a rookie) before he is eligible to be a free agent, and therefore, not a bargain anymore.

SnakeLH2006
03-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Nothing.

Im not so sure about that! When I had my little gift card hustle, I went hams and bought just about everything ... turned out I bought a $100 network router instead of the "receiver" so I can't catch wif and im not tryin to take it back... I have a $60 live card sitting here, just waiting ... 8-)

Better fire it up...Xbox is dropping the price for LIVE to 29.99 soon (rumor) but well worth it. What's your tag? I'll show you mine if you show me yours... :shock: :lol: