PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Bretsky, 2009 edition

Lurker64
03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Anybody else waiting with baited breath to see what poor unsuspecting NFL prospect Bretsky will drop his mojo on?

I saw this report (http://blog.nola.com/jeffduncan/2009/03/welcome_to_the_thursday_editio.html) on Robert Meachem and was reminded that it's about that time:

As far as Meachem is concerned, I think he's destined to be the biggest bust of the Payton era. He's buried on the depth chart behind Marques Colston, Lance Moore and Devery Henderson, and while blessed with physical talent, has lost the trust of the staff and teammates with his repeated mental mistakes. Recently at the combine, Payton made an interesting comment about rookie players and their ability to transition to the NFL. Reading between the lines, I think it might have been a veiled reference to Meachem. "It gets back to some of things we talked about earlier, trying to evaluate how this player is going to transition into our game," Payton said. "Is it going to be too big for him? Is he going to transition very quickly? Does he learn quick enough? Half the battle with all these young players next fall is, 'Do they know what to do, are they smart enough in their first year to know what to do?' And if not, then there's a good chance that the coach is not going to put him on the field." Payton never mentioned Meachem by name, but if you believe the whispers, I certainly think those issues apply. Basically, the Saints missed on this one. Hey, it happens. Look at the Titans, one of the most successful and respected organizations in the league. They missed on the Nos. 3 and 6 picks in recent years in Vince Young and Pacman Jones. Even the mighty New England Patriots have whiffed on several high picks. No team in the league is immune to it.

Hey, someone we might actually have been better off drafting Justin Harrell instead of! ;)

I haven't heard any Odell Thurman news in a while, but indefinite suspension will do that to a guy.

Fritz
03-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I have to step in here and take some credit/blame. Certainly Bretsky is the man with the mojo, but I was tooting Odell Thurman's horn along with Bretsky, and I also backed him on Robert Meachem. We have in the past appeared to have the same evaluations of many prospects.

So while Bretsky is the man, I am the trusty sidekick.

Joemailman
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
So who's it going to be, Tonto?

RashanGary
03-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Any GM that makes a first round draft pick that does not contribute; due to injury, attitude, death or any reason not listed; shall be fired immediately :)

Goodbye every GM. It happens. That's why the more picks, the merrier. You can never count on quality, all you can count on is not knowing how it will pan out.

Fritz
03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Ah, but Bretsy, assisted by his able assistant Fritz, has the ability to take any highly rated pick he covets, and turn him into a steaming bucket, nay, laundry basket, of poo.

Bretsky
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Ah, but Bretsy, assisted by his able assistant Fritz, has the ability to take any highly rated pick he covets, and turn him into a steaming bucket, nay, laundry basket, of poo.

So are you going to jump on the Crabtree train with me this year :?: :!:

Fritz
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Well, y'know, I have spent a few moments wondering what it would be like seeing someone that dynamic in a Packer uniform....yes, I've been pondering if he might slip down to the #9 spot, and if so, would Ted take that BPA...I bet he would.

Count me in Bretsky. Hands down he's the biggest playmaker in the draft.

Bretsky
03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, y'know, I have spent a few moments wondering what it would be like seeing someone that dynamic in a Packer uniform....yes, I've been pondering if he might slip down to the #9 spot, and if so, would Ted take that BPA...I bet he would.

Count me in Bretsky. Hands down he's the biggest playmaker in the draft.

We don't need bodies; we need a SuperStar !

Crabtree and Jennings for the next decade; SB or BUST !!

Bring the most talented player in College to GB :!: :lol:

MJZiggy
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Poor kid's doomed!

pack4to84
03-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Poor Kid he probably pull his hammy the first day of training camp missing the whole season. After not running for awhile do to surgery.

Fritz
03-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Seriously, I do think Crabtree's stock seems to have been slipping, but I also think he's the biggest difference maker in the draft. Maybe not as valuable in the way an OT is valuable, but in terms of big plays, he's that guy. A lot better than Teddddd Ginnnnn, who was taken ninth overall, I think, by the Phins. Hmm...Ninth overall.....hmmm...

Partial
03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I think he's a better receiver, but I don't know that he's more valuable than Ginn.

Speed kills, and Ginn has it in spades. He can be used in many facets of the game where Crabs is useless.

Looking at our receiving corps, we lack the speedster to keep teams honest deep (possibly Jennings). I think Ginn adds more to our receiving corps than Crabs does.

ThunderDan
03-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I think he's a better receiver, but I don't know that he's more valuable than Ginn.

Speed kills, and Ginn has it in spades. He can be used in many facets of the game where Crabs is useless.

Looking at our receiving corps, we lack the speedster to keep teams honest deep (possibly Jennings). I think Ginn adds more to our receiving corps than Crabs does.

Yeah, because the best WR in the history of the game was sooo fast. Jerry Rice admits if only 40 times predicted a players career he would have been average to below average.

And that Steve Largent character who couldn't run a 4.6 40 sucked ass also.

Charles Woodson
03-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Yeah, because the best WR in the history of the game was sooo fast. Jerry Rice admits if only 40 times predicted a players career he would have been average to below average.

Ill admit that im not a fan of just taking a guy based on speed, and that he doesnt neccesarily have to have it, but Crabtree would be nice as a deep threat.

SnakeLH2006
03-07-2009, 12:15 AM

Ill admit that im not a fan of just taking a guy based on speed, and that he doesnt neccesarily have to have it, but Crabtree would be nice as a deep threat.

Umm..Snake is confused....Crabtree will at best be a TO without the mental gaffes, but not a burner at ALL. Dude is not a speed guy, but a Fitzgerald type that can command a field at wideout. Not a burner/deep threat unless he can do better than the mid 4.5 he has ran thus far.

And Rice had it all...Largent was good, but Largent would probably be a 2nd receiver in today's NFL. He was way to slow (not enough big plays to warrant being a franchise WR in today's NFL)...Rice was amazing and had game speed...Largent was a tad slower reacting than Rice, thus his undercard status.

CaliforniaCheez
03-07-2009, 05:59 AM
No matter who you think is best, Ted Thompson will draft someone else.

Attempting to predict/forsee a Ted Thompson draft is like predicting the time and location of the next meteor strike.

It is futile to try and guess what Ted will do. You will only hurt your head and waste time.

Harlan Huckleby
03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates/441584

you might enjoy Tom Oates ranting about how Ted Thompson is an ass

ThunderDan
03-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Umm..Snake is confused....Crabtree will at best be a TO without the mental gaffes, but not a burner at ALL. Dude is not a speed guy, but a Fitzgerald type that can command a field at wideout. Not a burner/deep threat unless he can do better than the mid 4.5 he has ran thus far.

And Rice had it all...Largent was good, but Largent would probably be a 2nd receiver in today's NFL. He was way to slow (not enough big plays to warrant being a franchise WR in today's NFL)...Rice was amazing and had game speed...Largent was a tad slower reacting than Rice, thus his undercard status.

Sorry Snake but I disagree.

Largent was the man pure and simple.

His career stats read 819 r 13,089 y 16.0 ypc 100 td
He is 17th in career receptions, 11th in yardage, 18th in TD and 32nd in yards from scrimmage. When he retired he was top 3 in almost every category.

Seattle had 1 offensive option all of those years. Zorn to Largent. He was doubled the whole game. He out thought and out played his opponents his entire career.

Bretsky
03-08-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates/441584

you might enjoy Tom Oates ranting about how Ted Thompson is an ass

Not a bad read at all; the Giants GM has received some nice PR about being one of the solid up and comers

But I don't take this as TT being as ass

I take it as two GM's whose defense failed them

One GM aggressively looked for solutions via free agency and closed deals

The other takes the wait and see attitute toward free agency and with his casual approach it's hard to close early deals on the more coveted free agenty

Get use to it Packer Fans :lol:

Joemailman
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm used to it B. But sometimes you remind me of people who can't believe how cold the weather gets in January. It's easy for a writer to take shots at TT after a bad season, but there different ways of putting a team together. TT's way is more like what New England was doing a few years ago, and what Pittsburgh is doing now. That's not a guarantee he will be successful, but I think it's a better track record than teams that sign a bunch of free agents.

Bretsky
03-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm used to it B. But sometimes you remind me of people who can't believe how cold the weather gets in January. It's easy for a writer to take shots at TT after a bad season, but there different ways of putting a team together. TT's way is more like what New England was doing a few years ago, and what Pittsburgh is doing now. That's not a guarantee he will be successful, but I think it's a better track record than teams that sign a bunch of free agents.

NE has singed some valuable free agents
Who was the MVP on the Pittsburg Defense last year and how did he get there ?

I know the draft is the best route to go; fully understand that. And you are right; there are different ways to put a team together. I think both Pitt and NE have shown how to use an effective combination of drafts and free agency.

Lurker64
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
NE has singed some valuable free agents
Who was the MVP on the Pittsburg Defense last year and how did he get there ?

Undrafted free agent by the Steelers, who was signed off a practice squad by the Ravens, assigned to NFL Europe, then cut, and was picked up again by the Steelers. Similar to the course Shaun Bodiford took with the Packers, where he got picked up off the scrap heap twice by the same team.