03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
http://www.packerupdate.com/

Bretsky
03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd so take Malone over Canty

red
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
yeah, they talk big about him

but he's only ever been a scouting team guy until last year, right?

even under capers

i sure as hell hope they're right, they passed up some decent proven quality starters because of the guy

Lurker64
03-05-2009, 10:08 PM
i sure as hell hope they're right, they past up some decent proven quality starters because of the guy

As far as I know, other than Canty, none of the other 3-4 DE prospects have been signed by anybody yet. So we haven't really passed anybody up.

I still would like them to bring in at least one DE, but it may be a hard sell if Capers wouldn't pencil in any of them in as a starting role.

I mean, if Ted Thompson goes to Dom Capers and says "who would you put first on the depth chart, Igor Olshansky or Alfred Malone?" and Capers says "Malone", can you really blame Thompson too much on being lukewarm in his pursuit of Olshansky? Dom Capers does, apparently, know what he's talking about, and he's been at this long enough that he's not going to just tell the GM what he wants to hear.

Waldo
03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
yeah, they talk big about him

but he's only ever been a scouting team guy until last year, right?

even under capers

i sure as hell hope they're right, they passed up some decent proven quality starters because of the guy

He played 2 games for Capers in Hou at 3-4 DE.

Did quite good too. 10 tckls, 1 sack, 1 pbu

mission
03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
He *looks* like the kinda dude who can play 3-4 DE ... I honestly just dont know a lot about him, or his motor, etc...

texaspackerbacker
03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I like what I've seen of Malone. Between him and Jolly and Harrell, along with Jenkins, they are adequate there--if you disregard injuries and legal problems.

Waldo
03-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Though he *looks* a lot like a famous ex-dog owner.

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_7602.jpg

Lurker64
03-05-2009, 11:35 PM

Maybe we could get the non-evil twin to be his backup.

bobblehead
03-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Most guys don't just break out at 27, but given his position and given that big guys take a bit longer he could become a solid starter for us. I wouldn't count on him to be a playmaker or anything, but hell if he can simply fill the role of DE without being asked to make the big plays it could work outl.

Partial
03-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Just a guy imo.

3irty1
03-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Just a guy imo.

Oh God that would be a dream. So much better than all his "Just a girl" teammates.

Lurker64
03-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Just a guy imo.

You act as though there is a scheme in with 3-4 DEs are playmakers instead of just space-takers.

3-4 DEs are role-players, as long as they can fill that role adequately, that's fine. You've not going to have 11 all-pros on defense, if you assume you only have a fixed finite number of them, as a 3-4 team you want precisely none of them to be DEs, particularly in a 1-gap 3-4.

Fritz
03-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Pad level! Pad level!

Secondly, if he does start for this team this year, I dub him Alred "The Butler" Malone.

Patler
03-06-2009, 07:46 AM
How can any of us have an opinion about him?
How much have any of us seen him play?
We can guess based on the facts and circumstances surrounding his pro career to date, but that is all it is, guessing. If DC the DC (have I coined a new phrase for Dom Capers the Defensive Coordinator? :lol: )thinks he is as good or better than what is available through free agency, I'm willing to go with that; especially since Capers has a history with him as a player.

hoosier
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Most guys don't just break out at 27, but given his position and given that big guys take a bit longer he could become a solid starter for us. I wouldn't count on him to be a playmaker or anything, but hell if he can simply fill the role of DE without being asked to make the big plays it could work outl.

Good point. James Harrison didn't break out until he was 29. Well, two more years of grooming and Malone will be ready to take over the game. :lol:

pittstang5
03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm starting to feel a little better about the DE position now that this has come out about Malone. I had forgotten all about him. Maybe I'm drinking some nice, stiff Kool-aid.

However, I'd still like them to sign an "accomplished" veteran for this new system, just to have some experience on the line. When Holliday was released, I thought my prayers have been answered, but I keep reading that the Packers have shown zero interest.

Partial
03-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Just a guy imo.

You act as though there is a scheme in with 3-4 DEs are playmakers instead of just space-takers.

3-4 DEs are role-players, as long as they can fill that role adequately, that's fine. You've not going to have 11 all-pros on defense, if you assume you only have a fixed finite number of them, as a 3-4 team you want precisely none of them to be DEs, particularly in a 1-gap 3-4.

Thank you for stating the same tired thing for like the 19th time.

There is a lot more than just being a big body. Lateral quickness, strength, etc. Are you telling me the past two years Canty wasn't a playmaker in Dallas? Dude was certainly an above end when we played them, and while he didn't get a lot of sacks, he certainly got decent pressure on a number of occasions.

Partial
03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Just a guy imo.

Oh God that would be a dream. So much better than all his "Just a girl" teammates.

Touche.

wist43
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Just a guy imo.

I agree... JAG.

Canty is light years better than Malone, but TT has a way of rationalizing the talent gap between players that can step in and solidify a position, i.e. Canty, and a guy he trots out there on the cheap and hopes he develops.

BZnDallas
03-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Just a guy imo.

There is a lot more than just being a big body. Lateral quickness, strength, etc. Are you telling me the past two years Canty wasn't a playmaker in Dallas? Dude was certainly an above end when we played them, and while he didn't get a lot of sacks, he certainly got decent pressure on a number of occasions.

what did the pot call the kettle??... i forgot... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lurker64
03-06-2009, 10:53 AM

The thing is though, if Dom Capers thinks that Alfred Malone will be better at Defensive End than any of the FA DEs other than Canty, you can't exactly justify $4 million/year for a backup. So if the insinuation the article makes is accurate, it's a pretty unassailable justification for why we haven't picked up any of the second tier guys.

I mean, Dom Capers probably knows more about "what makes a good 3-4 DE" than you or I.

cheesner
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I mean, Dom Capers probably knows more about "what makes a good 3-4 DE" than you or I.

Not to mention knows more about Malone probably than anyone posting here - having not only met him, spoken with him, but has already coached him.

bobblehead
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Good point. James Harrison didn't break out until he was 29. Well, two more years of grooming and Malone will be ready to take over the game. :lol:

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or mocking me...but anyway Harrison is probably the all time exception to a rule...a 29 year old who became an NFL DMVP. I'm just hoping Malone can be an NFL starter who doesn't piss all over his shoes.

bobblehead
03-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Just a guy imo.

I agree... JAG.

Canty is light years better than Malone, but TT has a way of rationalizing the talent gap between players that can step in and solidify a position, i.e. Canty, and a guy he trots out there on the cheap and hopes he develops.

JAG wouldn't be all that bad for who he is, how we got him, and what we are paying him. JAG implies normal NFL player. If he isn't LNFLT its a bonus...you know, lacks NFL talent.

MJZiggy
03-06-2009, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or mocking me...but anyway Harrison is probably the all time exception to a rule...a 29 year old who became an NFL DMVP. I'm just hoping Malone can be an NFL starter who doesn't piss all over his shoes.

I bet if he pisses all over the opponents shoes he'll have a much easier time the rest of the game (unless guys wanna keep taking plays off to change their shoes...)

SnakeLH2006
03-07-2009, 12:35 AM

LOL...Is that Mike Vick's SANE half-brother? LOL.

mission
03-07-2009, 04:57 AM
If we got "JAG" out of Malone, I think everyone here would be plenty surprised... or at least pleased.

There aren't any 3-4 DEs that I can think of that are much more than "JAG" ... does "JAG" mean they can hold the point? Great!!!

Partial
03-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Would love to see Kevin Carter brought in. That is exactly the kind of signing that can do wonders for a team, despite just being a serviceable veteran who's been around the block.

Patler
03-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Would love to see Kevin Carter brought in. That is exactly the kind of signing that can do wonders for a team, despite just being a serviceable veteran who's been around the block.

I agree, and Vonnie Holliday might not be a bad fallback position if Carter can't be signed.

Fritz
03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Carer would be a good one-year starter while a rookie develops or Justin Harrell rehabs - again. Or still.

But I do have hope that this will be the year. Even if they have to put him on the PUP to give him an extra month to rest/rehab the back, maybe he can still be a football player. Guess we'll see.

Waldo
03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I think that TT would rather keep Harrell, Jolly, Jenkins, Malone and a draft pick, and is only looking at non-Canty DE's as insurance in case a guy flops or injuries strike. Carter is easier to cut at the end of camp than Holiday is.

Partial
03-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Looking at them as insurance policies in case one of them flops/gets injured :lol: :lol:

That is too funny. Let's hope that Teddy T is a heck of a lot smarter than that.