PDA

View Full Version : Do the JS writers even follow the Packers?

Patler
03-07-2009, 09:22 AM
The errors in their articles are becoming absurd. In the article about signing Smith :
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/40882157.html
Bob McGinn compares him to Marquand Manuel, who McGinn states is;

the only other veteran safety signed by general manager Ted Thompson in five years of free agency."

What about Earl Little, an eight year veteran signed in 2005 after having been mostly a starter in Cleveland the previous four seasons; or Arturo Freeman a five year veteran also signed in 2005 after having been an on and off starter in Miami? Each of these came to the Packers with more years and more starts than either Manuel or Smith.

Fritz
03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
If a poster made that mistake it would be understandable - both those players were eminently forgettable. However, a sports writer is not a poster, and it is an important part of the job to get the facts right. On top of that, these guys aren't casual fans - they cover the team daily and should remember those signings.

Inexcusable.

cpk1994
03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
The errors in their articles are becoming absurd. In the article about signing Smith :
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/40882157.html
Bob McGinn compares him to Marquand Manuel, who McGinn states is;

the only other veteran safety signed by general manager Ted Thompson in five years of free agency."

What about Earl Little, an eight year veteran signed in 2005 after having been mostly a starter in Cleveland the previous four seasons; or Arturo Freeman a five year veteran also signed in 2005 after having been an on and off starter in Miami? Each of these came to the Packers with more years and more starts than either Manuel or Smith.YOu might want to email McGinn that info. Clue him in. :lol:

Patler
03-07-2009, 09:54 AM
If a poster made that mistake it would be understandable - both those players were eminently forgettable. However, a sports writer is not a poster, and it is an important part of the job to get the facts right. On top of that, these guys aren't casual fans - they cover the team daily and should remember those signings.

Inexcusable.

Exactly. They don't even have to remember specifics. They have ready access to detailed information. lists and articles that we do not have. They don't even have to remember the players names, but you would think they would remember the time a few short years ago when TT dipped into the FA market to fill a big hole at safety, and essentially came up empty.

I see parallels between the careers of Freeman and Smith before coming to the Packers. Freeman started an entire season at Miami in 2002 when the Dolphins were a decent team. He had nine starts in 2004 after losing his starting spot in 2003. He sort of fell out of favor with the coaches, after looking like he would develop into a good starter for Miami. He barely made it to the Packers before requesting and receiving his release from Thompson.

Little made the opening roster and began playing some, with inconsistent results. He was injured and ultimately released about midseason.

digitaldean
03-07-2009, 10:02 AM
This is why the Journal-Sentinel is nothing more than low-grade fish wrap. Their website isn't the hottest either.

Their regular news barely covers topics in state government unless their feet are held to the fire. McGinn's oversight shows that either his editor muffed up or is just as clueless.

sheepshead
03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I often question how much time these guys even spend in Green Bay. I wondered if Cristl has ever even been there. If theyre just watching games on tv and reporting, whats the point?

bobblehead
03-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Whereas I don't necessarily expect them to remember these details, if you are going to put it in print in a newspaper you might want to check your "fact" before tossing it out there....you know, so you don't get embarrassed. I don't care too much if I get patlerized here, but if I write for a paid subscription you can bet I wouldn't just shoot off without double checking.

Sad thing is I really like McGinn, but this was pretty amateur on his part.

esoxx
03-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I love reading McGinn. Excellent writer.

Bretsky
03-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I too think McGinn is a very good writer; I emailed him and asked him about Little and Freeman. He emailed me back today, very respectfully, noted I was right and had a better memory...and noted they were in the same category as Smith. All were "Street Free Agents".

bobblehead
03-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I too think McGinn is a very good writer; I emailed him and asked him about Little and Freeman. He emailed me back today, very respectfully, noted I was right and had a better memory...and noted they were in the same category as Smith. All were "Street Free Agents".

At least he manned up, but he shouldn't have made that mistake without having checked it.

SnakeLH2006
03-07-2009, 11:42 PM
McGinn is pretty good, but I noticed that JSOnline has slipped with Packer info over the past 3 years. Used to be cutting edge shit before ESPN reported it, but they seem obsessed with that shitty forum and those asinine blogs for Packers/Brewers info lately. Used to check that stuff daily, but now not so much. Pretty lackluster stories/info as of late.

Snake misses true "cutting edge" rumor types like Joe Arrigo. No seriously, haven't been on PackerChatters since Joe and Randolph put up that stink rumor about "100% guaranDAMNteed" Reggie Bush is a Packer in the NFL draft (hours before he became a Saint)...I took too much shit from Packer buddies when I fell into that mess feeling/saying it was gonna happen, too.

No really, anyone been on there? That dude was damn entertaining, as that forum is so lame/no good updates....What happened to big Joe Arrigo? Just asking???...... :wink: NE1? What's up?