PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 Depth Chart

KYPack
03-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Man, this daylight savings time is a bitch. I didn't have my morning cup a tea until 11:30. I have been wondering about our alignment in the 3-4. I looked around on the net for a depth chart and couldn't find any. Decided that we might as well put one up and argue about it on PR. What the hell, our guess is as good as any. This is my first stab at it. I couldn't really get a handle on LDE and some of the back-up spots. Tell me your thoughts, fellow Rats….

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

LDE
Johnny Jolly
Justin Harrell
A Toribio

NT
Ryan Pickett
Fred Bledsoe

RDE
Cullen Jenkins
Alfred Malone

LOLB
A Kampman
Jeremy Thompson

LILB
A Hawk
B Chillar
S Havner

RILB
Nick Barnett
D Bishop
D Lansanha

ROLB
B Poppinga
J Hunter
Kenny Pettway

RCB
Al Harris
Tramone Williams
Jarrett Bush
Joe Porter

FS
Nick Collins
A Smith
C Peprah

SS
A Bigby
S Rouse

LCB
C Woodson
W Blackmon
P Lee

Tarlam!
03-08-2009, 02:41 PM
You think they keeep 30 players on the D KY?

KYPack
03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
You think they keeep 30 players on the D KY?

Camp chart, Tar.

They'll cut 8. 9. guys from this.

Partial
03-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I think that is a pretty good list. Depending on how the draft goes, I could see them playing Hawk at ROLB and Bishop inside. I really think Bishop is a beast in waiting.

Iron Mike
03-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Tell me your thoughts, fellow Rats….

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

LDE
Johnny Jolly
Justin Harrell
A Toribio

NT
Ryan Pickett
Fred Bledsoe

RDE
Cullen Jenkins
Alfred Malone

LOLB
A Kampman
Jeremy Thompson

LILB
A Hawk
B Chillar
S Havner

RILB
Nick Barnett
D Bishop
D Lansanha

ROLB
B Poppinga
J Hunter
Kenny Pettway

RCB
Al Harris
Tramone Williams
Jarrett Bush
Joe Porter

FS
Nick Collins
A Smith
C Peprah

SS
A Bigby
S Rouse

LCB
C Woodson
W Blackmon
P Lee

Jesus Christ.....he hasn't been cut yet??? :roll:

Waldo
03-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I would switch Chillar and Bishop, and Smith and Rouse, but that's about how I see it.

Bossman641
03-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Tell me your thoughts, fellow Rats….

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

LDE
Johnny Jolly
Justin Harrell
A Toribio

NT
Ryan Pickett
Fred Bledsoe

RDE
Cullen Jenkins
Alfred Malone

LOLB
A Kampman
Jeremy Thompson

LILB
A Hawk
B Chillar
S Havner

RILB
Nick Barnett
D Bishop
D Lansanha

ROLB
B Poppinga
J Hunter
Kenny Pettway

RCB
Al Harris
Tramone Williams
Jarrett Bush
Joe Porter

FS
Nick Collins
A Smith
C Peprah

SS
A Bigby
S Rouse

LCB
C Woodson
W Blackmon
P Lee

I thought Smith was gonna be the backup at SS and Rouse the backup at FS?

Who is Fred Bledsoe? Boy, do we need some help at NT.

red
03-08-2009, 03:55 PM
that chart looks about right

will jeremy thompson be a LOLB, or will he get a chance to be the starter on the right? but i think pop will work good as a OLB in the 3-4

also we need something much better at backup NT

KYPack
03-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Fred Bledsoe was the biggest fattest DT I could find on the PS. He was the only one. BTW.

Can he play NT in a 3-4?

Got no clue.

We gotta get some troops in the front 7. We're hurtin for certain at NT, LDE, ROLB, etc.

texaspackerbacker
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Is Colin Cole somehow officially gone? Hopefully not. If so, I think Harrell is the backup NT unless we draft or sign somebody.

I think Chillar fits in better at OLB than ILB. I agree with Waldo that Rouse would be the FS backup and Smith the SS bacxup, although the two are pretty interchangeable.

I would hope, at least, that Thompson would emerge as a starter opposite Kampman, with Popinga, Hunter, and Chillar as backups at both sides.

I have a hunch that Patrick Lee is gonna show something and get the dime spot ahead of Blackmon. If Jarrett Bush ends up as the number 6 Corner, well, I doubt many teams have six better than him. He ain't great, but he's not as bad as many in here seem to think, and he might be better if they play more zone.

I'd be very comfortable going into the season with nothing more than what we have. NT if we don't still have Cole is about the only spot even needing additional depth.

Joemailman
03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Cole signed with Seattle. My guess is that the Packers eventual backup NT is not currently on the roster. For now it is probably Harrell.

sharpe1027
03-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Cole signed with Seattle. My guess is that the Packers eventual backup NT is not currently on the roster. For now it is probably Harrell.

Couldn't it also be Jolly?

red
03-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Couldn't it also be Jolly?

i honestly don't know if jolly is fat enough in the ass to be a NT, i suppose he could if he had too, but he's a little lite at 315 or 320

plus, theres that whole legal thing hanging over his head. i don't know if you can count on having him the whole year

wist43
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Guys... that is one ugly depth chart... don't know how you guys can make lemonade out of those lemons.

Bretsky
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
The depth chart looks pretty sad; hopefully everybody stays healthy, TTT adds some free agency depth, or we add about 11 new bodies in the draft

In other words, hope we hit on the 11 draft picks :lol:

The Shadow
03-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I think Carter would be a nice pickup.
Effective if used in a rotation.

Brando19
03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Good depth chart. Only problem I see is Rouse's name is Aaron, not Saron.... :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I would switch Chillar and Bishop

you have an opinion on whether they would play left or right inside linebacker?

you're scaring me! :lol:

Waldo
03-09-2009, 12:33 AM

WILB (Barnett) needs to be faster and cover better. It should the best coverage LB on the field. Chillar should be his backup.

SILB (Hawk) is the banger. If you have a downhill thumper, this is where he fits in. Still has to be able to cover, but being stout is more important. Bishop should be his backup.

bobblehead
03-09-2009, 12:53 AM
WHAT....no Mike Montgomery?? Did we lose his valuable services??

Harlan Huckleby
03-09-2009, 01:00 AM

WILB (Barnett) needs to be faster and cover better. It should the best coverage LB on the field. Chillar should be his backup.

SILB (Hawk) is the banger. If you have a downhill thumper, this is where he fits in. Still has to be able to cover, but being stout is more important. Bishop should be his backup.

It's hard for me to imagine that the weak or strong side have much relevance to inside linebackers. but I'll take your word for it, you're the one with the thick glasses.

KYPack
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM

This 3-4 is like the old 52 fire we used to play. 5 Dlineman and 2 backers. One LB is the chaser and one guy is the plugger.

Same deal with the 3-4 ILB's. I don't know which one of 'em can run. NB had an operation and Hawk had the chest and groin pull. The guy that can run will be the Wil, the other guy will be the Jack and do the plugging. For that one they will have to both hit the field and asess their play. I can see your scenario, but it might go the other way.

At safety, I thought they got Smith to back up Collins and be available if Bigby can't go. The papers say Smith was brought in to be in the mix at SS. We'll have to see how that shakes out, too. Smith has played both in the Burgh, he'll be a good hand to have around. Both Bigby and Rouse have peeking problems, maybe Smith can teach 'em better reads.

We obviously need some more down lineman. Whether a Malone or some other pick-up can come in and provide depth, I dunno.

I'd think they move Jolly to LDE, but man, we are hurtin' if his legal issues go bad. He's probably looking at about 4 games "NFL time" also.

It will be a trip all the way 'round.

Fritz
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I thought perhaps that Thompson would get an opportunity to start opposite Kampman - is he the wrong size for that or something? As you can see, this 3-4 thing is new for me. I don't know who does what from which linebacker spot. All I know is that the two inside guys are smaller, and two outsides are bigger. But that's all I know.

I'm rooting for Alfred "The Butler" Malone to keep his pad levels down this year and maybe get some significant playing time!

KYPack
03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
I thought perhaps that Thompson would get an opportunity to start opposite Kampman - is he the wrong size for that or something? As you can see, this 3-4 thing is new for me. I don't know who does what from which linebacker spot. All I know is that the two inside guys are smaller, and two outsides are bigger. But that's all I know.

I'm rooting for Alfred "The Butler" Malone to keep his pad levels down this year and maybe get some significant playing time!

It probably makes more sense to have Thompson compete for the right OLB spot. It would be better for him to go after the job that is most similar to what he played last season. Essentially, all the big backers and small DE's become our OLB's in the 3-4.

I'm pretty sure this depth chart will include 4-5 rookies, so there will be at least one OLB out of the draft on the list. This chart is dead once Capers and the boys make their moves in the first mini's after the draft. We obviously need some outside LB's and a NT or two to come up with a line-up.

Hopefully we do get some "Alfred Malone" type guys to come up big this season. We didn't really have anybody have a big year from out of nowhere last year. maybe we get a couple of those kind of guys this season.

Harlan Huckleby
03-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I thought perhaps that Thompson would get an opportunity to start opposite Kampman - is he the wrong size for that or something?

J. Thompson and J. Hunter have not shown they can be starters. Hope springs eternal, but speakig of those guys as starters makes no more sense than saying Charlie Peprah may have a break-out season. The only difference is we need pash rushers more desperately, I suppose, so wishful thinking runs high.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
J. Thompson and J. Hunter have not shown they can be starters. Hope springs eternal, but speakig of those guys as starters makes no more sense than saying Charlie Peprah may have a break-out season. The only difference is we need pash rushers more desperately, I suppose, so wishful thinking runs high.

I don't think it's a good comparison. I think a lot of people feel that 4-3 DE doesn't fit what Thompson and Hunter are best at--while 3-4 OLB does. The comparison would be more valid if Peprah showed he was good at the LOS (like Bigby), had previously been asked to play coverage safety, and now was transitioning to where he was playing closer to the LOS.

It's not like things like this haven't happened before. Who would have thought Donald Lee, Cullen Jenkins (when healthy), Ryan Grant, Donald Driver, Atari Bigby (when healthy), etc. would be decent starters even a year before they became starters.

Harlan Huckleby
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't think it's a good comparison. I think a lot of people feel that 4-3 DE doesn't fit what Thompson and Hunter are best at--while 3-4 OLB does.

OK, but then you also insist that Kampman is going to be just as good at 3-4 linebacker as he was at 4-3 end, when he seemed optimized for the old position.

I would say you are an optimist across the board. I'm a "show me" guy.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think it's a good comparison. I think a lot of people feel that 4-3 DE doesn't fit what Thompson and Hunter are best at--while 3-4 OLB does.

OK, but then you also insist that Kampman is going to be just as good at 3-4 linebacker as he was at 4-3 end, when he seemed optimized for the old position.

I would say you are an optimist across the board. I'm a "show me" guy.

Kampman is a stud though. Dude ran 4.65 coming out of college, and he's played LB before. I think he's good enough and athletic enough not to be out of his element. Hunter and Thompson were projected to be 3-4 OLBs when they came out. I think these guys will benefit greatly from the scheme change. I'm more worried about Al Harris playing zone coverage, Nick Collins directing a defense, 3-4 DEs, the backup NT, and Barnett playing ILB in a 3-4 (I'll have to see if they can hide his lack of bulk before deciding he can't do it though). I have hope that this scheme fits some of our 4-3 DEs/3-4 OLBs quite well.

Harlan Huckleby
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
ya, ya, and Kampman works out in the offseason by pulling tractors through snowy Iowa cornfields.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
again the depth looks like poopy, but the defense will make this squad a little better if Capers can scheme and take a unique approach to this transition. He isn't going to get any help through free agency with bringing in players that have at least bit of knowledge and experience. Capers has a tough job in 2009 and he is going to have to weather a shit storm if things go South. Because with all the Thompson love in the State of Wisconsin the shit will surely run down hill off of Thompson, and McCarthy and splatter all over Capers because you know Thompson and McCarthy once got this team to the playoffs.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Because with all the Thompson love in the State of Wisconsin the shit will surely run down hill off of Thompson, and McCarthy and splatter all over Capers because you know Thompson and McCarthy once got this team to the playoffs.

You haven't been reading the comments at JSO, have you?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/41033947.html

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
No,

Partial
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
There is an unexplainable amount of TT love on this board. He really hasn't done anything to deserve it imo. The teams he has put together have been very inconsistent, and as we're seeing this year, he likes to go with his guys, even if they're injury prone.

Going into the season banking on more than one person lasting a season out of the triumvirate of Jolly, Jenkins and Justin is a big miscalculation imo.

sharpe1027
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
There is an unexplainable amount of TT love on this board. He really hasn't done anything to deserve it imo. The teams he has put together have been very inconsistent, and as we're seeing this year, he likes to go with his guys, even if they're injury prone.

Going into the season banking on more than one person lasting a season out of the triumvirate of Jolly, Jenkins and Justin is a big miscalculation imo.

No doubt that the Packers have been inconsistent, but refuting badly formulated criticisms of TT is hardly love for TT.

He likes to go with his guys? You can do better than that. I am sure that you you can come up with an even more general criticism that could be applied to most of the GMs in the league.

rbaloha1
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM

TT assembles the talent. MM and staff coach them. Inconsistency is not TT's fault. Point blame at MM and staff.

Patler
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
he likes to go with his guys, even if they're injury prone.

Is not every player on the roster the GM's guy?
Aren't Woodson, Pickett and Chiller "TT's guys"?
Do you want him to have another GM pick his team, or just open it up to voting by the fans?

OF COURSE he sticks with "his guys" even when injured. He drafted them for a reason, and he will give them opportunities to show they can get past the injuries. I would expect nothing less.

Woodson was considered injury prone in Oakland. He missed 24 games his last four seasons in Oakland. Luckily, that didn't scare off Thompson.

Partial
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm saying rather than bring someone else in who is not injury prone, he would rather risk it with injury prone guys. He did last year, and that turned out to be a bad call, yet it appears we're doing the same thing again.

Practicing insanity :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm saying rather than bring someone else in who is not injury prone, he would rather risk it with injury prone guys. He did last year, and that turned out to be a bad call, yet it appears we're doing the same thing again.

What guys that a reasonable person would consider "injury prone" did we count on as starters heading into last year?

sharpe1027
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Practicing insanity :lol:

I am sure that he prefers to have injury-prone guys. Clearly there were all of these much better options, at every position, knocking on his door asking to play for free. Seriously, it isn't as simple as snapping your fingers and signing quality starters.

How about giving up even little bit of your partiality, partial? In hindsight, injuries did hurt last year, but what GM hasn't had a tough year because of injuries?

He appears to still have a full compliment of draft picks and free agents to pick from. What exactly did you expect him to do? Blow the entire budget on a single, average, defensive linemen. I am sure you would have complained about that too.

Partial
03-10-2009, 06:12 PM

What guys that a reasonable person would consider "injury prone" did we count on as starters heading into last year?

Jolly - coming off a major surgery, injury prone throughout college (2nd round talent, fell to 6th round because of injury).
Jenkins - Historically has been a walking injury, had a dissapointing 2007 campaign because of nagging injuries.
Harrell - wasn't expected to be a starter, but didn't bring in any solid DT depth and they expected him to the guy.

They're basically going with the same guys this year, and that is not a good thing imo.

I'm not saying that they prefer injury prone guys. Obviously no one would. The point I am making is this is a big risk to go into the season without adding some significant depth behind these guys. Significant as in the amount of players, not necessarily the quality. TT needs to recognize the fact that these guys historically have been injured more often than he'd like, and that he needs to have a back-up plan in case. You cannot go in assuming last year's performance was a fluke knowing the injury history of these guys.

sharpe1027
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Jolly - coming off a major surgery, injury prone throughout college (2nd round talent, fell to 6th round because of injury).
Jenkins - Historically has been a walking injury, had a dissapointing 2007 campaign because of nagging injuries.
Harrell - wasn't expected to be a starter, but didn't bring in any solid DT depth and they expected him to the guy.

They're basically going with the same guys this year, and that is not a good thing imo.

I'm not saying that they prefer injury prone guys. Obviously no one would. The point I am making is this is a big risk to go into the season without adding some significant depth behind these guys. Significant as in the amount of players, not necessarily the quality. TT needs to recognize the fact that these guys historically have been injured more often than he'd like, and that he needs to have a back-up plan in case. You cannot go in assuming last year's performance was a fluke knowing the injury history of these guys.

Yes. I am about 95% sure that the Packers consider injury history of their players every year. I am not saying that they shouldn't try to build depth at the DL, far from it. I do, however, question your partiality, partial.

The reality is that you can never have a two full teams of quality starters. If you do a good job, you can have a few guys good enough to start elsewhere on the bench. Even so, there will always be a drop off from the starters (unless the coaches have the wrong guy starting). There are always trade-offs in where you have your depth. The Packers suffered significant injuries to their DBs (I am pretty sure that they lost their top three safeties at one point as well as having Harris out) and had injuies to their pro-bowl LBer and tackle, neither of which had significant injury histories. At each of those positions, the depth was pretty solid.

The Packers drafted a few DL in J. Harrell and J. Thompson. They had Cole and a few other bodies. Honestly, many NFL teams struggle to find TWO starters that are good pass-rushing DEs. Ripping on the Packers depth at the position after everything else you have said regarding TT just reeks of an agenda.

Bottom line, I am pretty sure that the Packer's realize that adding depth is a good thing. So, what is your point exactly?

Partial
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
They don't need stars on the DL. That is a nice thing with the 3-4. They just need a few big, strong bodies. Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter would be two absolutely perfect additions for a season or two. Those two, and then drafting Raji would immediately solidify the line.

Carter and Holliday will be fairly cheap. No reason they both can't get done

red
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
the good thing about the 3-4 is that some of these guys should be easier to find in the draft. those guys that we use to avoid because they were tweeners, now those are the guys we want.

smaller DT's that aren't quick enough to be a 4-3 de, but aren't quite big enough to be a solid DT. like 285-300. those are the guys we're looking for in the 3-4, they make perfect 3-4 de's. and there are a lot of those guys in this draft, we should have no problem finding one or 2

those tiny college speed ruchers, those guys that are 245-255 pound de's that are way too small to be an nfl de, those guys are perfect as OLB in the 3-4. and those guys are everywhere, seems like all college de's are tiny speed rushers these days

the only guy that is tough to find just so happens to be the most important one, the NT. theres only 3 or 4 guys in this whole draft that are big enough to even pull it off, and a couple of them have huge question marks. we only have 1 on the roster, and there really isn't anything in the free agent market. we almost have to jump on one those few guys in the draft

sharpe1027
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
They don't need stars on the DL. That is a nice thing with the 3-4. They just need a few big, strong bodies. Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter would be two absolutely perfect additions for a season or two. Those two, and then drafting Raji would immediately solidify the line.

Carter and Holliday will be fairly cheap. No reason they both can't get done

Fair enough. IMHO, your discussion points come-off better when you don't try to use them as a back-door insult directed at TT.

Maybe the Packers will end up doing one or more of you suggestions. Ever since the coaching staff was solidified, I would guess that they have been going full-steam ahead with identifying potential weak spots and potential fixes. My guess is that Capers has some ideas on what they will need. That might mean that he does like those guys or he might not.

I am excited to see how things turn out.

KYPack
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm worried about the transition.

Some guys are good defensive players. You can line 'em up in any scheme and they will adapt and cover & get their tackles. Other guys flourish in one scheme and flop in the new one.

The guy I always think of is Jonathan Vilma. Vilma is a decent Mike. He can cover and fill equally well and is a good hand in a 4-3 as the Mike. As a Jack ILB in the 3-4 for the Jets, he flopped around like a fish on the deck. He never "got" the 3-4. He was a poor jack and Mangini whipping boy. The Jets moved him to the Saints and Vilma was fine. In fact, he helped lead a rather marginal bunch of defenders.

Lot's of supposition on here has to be taken with a grain of salt. People who say Kamp will be a good OLB in a 3-4 don't know what they are talking about. Because Dom Capers still doesn't know if some of these guys can do their new jobs.

Not until we get lined up and start playing, will we have any idea which guys will fit in this new defense. The first year of transition could be a real nightmare. I hope not, but it well could be a bummer.

Fritz
03-11-2009, 09:22 AM
KY, I have been intrigued by the competing philosophies about who fits in what defense. Some folks argue that a good athlete is a good athlete is a good athlete and therefore can fit into any scheme. That's the basic argument most people make when arguing that Kampman will be great in this 3-4 scheme (though to be fair Patler argues that he used to be a linebacker so it's not a big transition).

On the other hand, others argue that certain players "fit" into certain schemes - they'll be great in one but suck in the other.

I don't know which I buy, or if maybe it's a little of both. But it's been an interesting thread in the whole conversation. Most people seem to feel that youneed certain types of players for certain schemes, yet some of those same folks also argue that Hawk (for example) will do fine as in inside 3-4 guy because he's a good football player.

I guess we'll see, huh?

sharpe1027
03-11-2009, 09:56 AM

Some guys are good defensive players. You can line 'em up in any scheme and they will adapt and cover & get their tackles. Other guys flourish in one scheme and flop in the new one.

The guy I always think of is Jonathan Vilma. Vilma is a decent Mike. He can cover and fill equally well and is a good hand in a 4-3 as the Mike. As a Jack ILB in the 3-4 for the Jets, he flopped around like a fish on the deck. He never "got" the 3-4. He was a poor jack and Mangini whipping boy. The Jets moved him to the Saints and Vilma was fine. In fact, he helped lead a rather marginal bunch of defenders.

Lot's of supposition on here has to be taken with a grain of salt. People who say Kamp will be a good OLB in a 3-4 don't know what they are talking about. Because Dom Capers still doesn't know if some of these guys can do their new jobs.

Not until we get lined up and start playing, will we have any idea which guys will fit in this new defense. The first year of transition could be a real nightmare. I hope not, but it well could be a bummer.

People who say Kamp will be a good OLB in a 3-4 don't know what they are talking about...

That's a strong statement, that is bound to stir the pot. I think it shows a lack of understanding of the conversation. People have argued that Kampman cannot make the transition, some people have argued that he can. While points about why he might make the transition have been brought up a lot, nobody, that I recall, has said he will be good for sure. I for one don't think that people presenting reasoned arguments about why Kampman might be fine in the transition is going out on a limb or shows a lack of knowledge. I think most people on both sides of the argument realize that it is all projection.

KYPack
03-11-2009, 10:39 AM

People who say Kamp will be a good OLB in a 3-4 don't know what they are talking about...

That's a strong statement, that is bound to stir the pot. I think it shows a lack of understanding of the conversation. People have argued that Kampman cannot make the transition, some people have argued that he can. While points about why he might make the transition have been brought up a lot, nobody, that I recall, has said he will be good for sure. I for one don't think that people presenting reasoned arguments about why Kampman might be fine in the transition is going out on a limb or shows a lack of knowledge. I think most people on both sides of the argument realize that it is all projection.

Yeah, yer right, Sharpe. That was a pretty snarky post & that wasn't my intention. I really didn't mean to call people dummies or anything. The inference was way more intended that we are in a state of flux. Until these guys hit the field, we don't really know how things will shake out.

In fact, the way I worded it was a little "pretentious" (Ha).

I am really interested in seeing the transition.

For instance, I do think Kamp will be OK in this new scheme.

But, lets say we have 6 guys that have different roles in the new scheme. Hell, you could say all 11 roles change at least slightly. It wouldn't be a surprise to see 2 or 3 of 'em unable to grasp the new system. 2-3 spots not being productive would equal a pretty dysfunctional defense.

Will Jolly be a good DE in the 3-4? Man, I really don't know.

Can Pickett be a good NT? maybe, but who really knows.

Hawk and Barnett are moving to new roles and coming off some bad injuries. One or both could have big trouble adapting to new jobs.

At the same time, some guys will be better under a new system. I think Popp may finally blossom as an OLB in this set.

This new staff should be a huge upgrade from the Sanders crew. But what if Capers just doesn't find guys who can make the transistion?

I'm wondering and I just don't know.

sharpe1027
03-11-2009, 10:48 AM
No problems KY. I am excited and somewhat worried myself. On the bright side, this isn't Caper's first rodeo. He has had success in converting to a 3-4 in the past. On the down side, people are rightfully concerned that the current roster might be missing a few key pieces.

SnakeLH2006
03-12-2009, 02:22 AM
I think that is a pretty good list. Depending on how the draft goes, I could see them playing Hawk at ROLB and Bishop inside. I really think Bishop is a beast in waiting.

Partial ya shocked me. I formed the Bishop fan club a year ago. Still think he's a beast yet. Just wait.

But that D roster lacks some serious talent at DE and NT. God that BJ looks good.

Merlin
03-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I can't get behind any list with the name Justin Harrell on it. Bishop has the talent, just waiting for him to show up. Worried about Jenkins and his injuries. Worried about Pickett and if he can play the position every down effectively. Worried about our aging corners and what effect this will have on bump and run coverage, Harris is horrible in zone coverage, safeties gamble too much, and Woodson's contract is due isn't it? I thought he signed a three year deal. Other then that we are primed to make the transition to the 1970-1980's Packers. Let's hope Dom Capers continues his coaching magic because without that, you can have 11 pro-bowlers line up and it won't matter.

red
03-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I can't get behind any list with the name Justin Harrell on it. Bishop has the talent, just waiting for him to show up. Worried about Jenkins and his injuries. Worried about Pickett and if he can play the position every down effectively. Worried about our aging corners and what effect this will have on bump and run coverage, Harris is horrible in zone coverage, safeties gamble too much, and Woodson's contract is due isn't it? I thought he signed a three year deal. Other then that we are primed to make the transition to the 1970-1980's Packers. Let's hope Dom Capers continues his coaching magic because without that, you can have 11 pro-bowlers line up and it won't matter.

woodson signed a 7 year deal

and i think it was front loaded, making it easy to keep him the whole 7 years

pack4to84
03-15-2009, 08:30 AM
The reason I think Kampton will be good in the 3-4 OLB spot is this.

1. He would be rushing the passer or up the field on 80% of the snaps. At a wider angle then before. His assignment will be to get up the field preventing a outside run. He would only engage with the OT if and only there is a outside run to force it back to the middle of the field. When rushing up the field if its not a run play he attacks the QB, and most likely the only blocker coming his way will be a TE/FB/RB. I like his chances vs TE/FB/RB. Because the OT will be blocking the DE.

2. 20% of the time he would be in zone in the flat. With his size it makes it harder on a QB to through a 10 yd hitch or a 10 yd out. Taking away certain type of passing routes. Also if he is in the flat again outside runs would be hard to do limiting certain type of run plays.

Fritz
03-15-2009, 08:48 AM

Partial ya shocked me. I formed the Bishop fan club a year ago. Still think he's a beast yet. Just wait.

But that D roster lacks some serious talent at DE and NT. God that BJ looks good.

Hey, that's what I said this morning when I was on another site!

Partial
03-15-2009, 10:51 AM
:lol: