PDA

View Full Version : Facebook post gets eagles worker fired

Charles Woodson
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
A Facebook post criticizing his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles, cost a stadium operations worker his job, according to a story in Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

SportsNation

Dan Leone, who the Inquirer said worked as a west gate chief, was unhappy the team let Brian Dawkins sign with the Denver Broncos in free agency. According to the newspaper, Leone posted the following on his Facebook page: "Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver ... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!"

Despite deleting the comment, Leone told the Inquirer the Eagles fired him by phone days later.

"I shouldn't have put it up there," Leone said, according to the Inquirer. "I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn't offend any one person or target a specific individual. I was just upset that we lost such a great guy. Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake."

Leone said he was shocked to lose his job of six years.

"I apologized for it," Leone said, according to the paper. "I apologized 20 million times. I never bad-mouthed the organization before. I made one mistake and they terminate me? And they couldn't even bring me into the office to talk to me? They had to do it over the phone? At least look me in the eye. To get done dirty like this, I can't believe it. I'm devastated."

The Eagles confirmed that Leone was a part-time staff member, but didn't comment further.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965039&POLL397=400000000000000000000000000000000000000000

3irty1
03-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I really doubt this was the real reason he was fired. When you type like this:

... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!

Odds are you were pretty replaceable.

Little Whiskey
03-09-2009, 04:36 PM
you are an "at will" employee, a part time one at that. They didn't even need the excuse. you want to bash your employer in a public space. live with the consequences.

SkinBasket
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Of course you fire him. People like to act all smart when they post stuff like this, then play stupid when it comes back to them. "O golly gee! I didn't know I shouldn't call my employer retarded!"

His outrage at being fired over the phone after he publicly attacked his employer on the internet is somewhat humorous though.

He's probably union and he'll be reinstated within the week so worry not you sympathetic souls.

Zool
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Of course you fire him. People like to act all smart when they post stuff like this, then play stupid when it comes back to them. "O golly gee! I didn't know I shouldn't call my employer retarded!"

His outrage at being fired over the phone after he publicly attacked his employer on the internet is somewhat humorous though.

He's probably union and he'll be reinstated within the week so worry not you sympathetic souls.

Pretzel and beer sales Local 103?

sharpe1027
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM

This analysis made me laugh. That was a poor attempt at playing the pity card. :lol:

KYPack
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
The only thing that might save him was the public revalation of his sacking.

Of course, in "Hostile city" nobody gives a shit.

Freak Out
03-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm assuming a free seat on game day came with this gig otherwise why be so upset? If all the guy really did was bash the Eagles for cutting Dawkins then they are being damn petty in the firing.

SkinBasket
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm assuming a free seat on game day came with this gig otherwise why be so upset? If all the guy really did was bash the Eagles for cutting Dawkins then they are being damn petty in the firing.

I'm assuming it has more to do with calling his employer retarded in what amounts to a public space than him questioning the specific decision to let Dawkins go.

Would you expect a McDonalds employee who stood out on a street corner yelling that McDonalds is retarded for not serving the McRibb all year long to be employed by McDonalds for long?

3irty1
03-09-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm assuming it has more to do with calling his employer retarded in what amounts to a public space than him questioning the specific decision to let Dawkins go.

Would you expect a McDonalds employee who stood out on a street corner yelling that McDonalds is retarded for not serving the McRibb all year long to be employed by McDonalds for long?

A guy with that kind of sense and passion has upper management written all over him. Long live the McRib.

SkinBasket
03-09-2009, 06:33 PM

A guy with that kind of sense and passion has upper management written all over him. Long live the McRib.

I thought the McRibb was spelled with 2 b's.

Freak Out
03-09-2009, 06:57 PM

That's smart marketing so they should get a raise.

hoosier
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
This reaction seems pretty mild-mannered in comparison to the average Philly fan.

MJZiggy
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Why was the management of the Philadelphia Eagles reading the facebook page of the beer vendor?

Little Whiskey
03-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Why was the management of the Philadelphia Eagles reading the facebook page of the beer vendor?

better question, why would said employee have his employer as a friend on his facebook page?

SkinBasket
03-09-2009, 08:37 PM

It's not as uncommon as you might think. Employers aren't idiots. Other employees are going to be visiting his profile. Word gets around just like it would if he had made the comments at work.

And he was "west gate chief," not just some slob beer vendor. Give the man his due.

3irty1
03-09-2009, 08:49 PM

It's not as uncommon as you might think. Employers aren't idiots. Other employees are going to be visiting his profile. Word gets around just like it would if he had made the comments at work.

And he was "west gate chief," not just some slob beer vendor. Give the man his due.

More like "west g8 chief."

MadtownPacker
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I thought most applications say the employer can fire you at any time for any reason they decided is legit?

Still kinda harsh though. If they dont fire this guy no one out side the organization cares or even knows about his facebook crap.

mraynrand
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
If they dont fire this guy no one out side the organization cares or even knows about his facebook crap.

QFT

digitaldean
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Since i and some of my co-workers have accounts on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook, I have to measure what I say regarding my fulltime employer plus my part-time freelance graphic design gig.

Too much talking of any kind re: work can lead someone to pass along something to the boss.

Reprimand the worker, sure. Fire him, I don't know.

But in today's at will employment market, you have to watch what you say to a certain extent.

channtheman
03-10-2009, 01:14 AM
This is why you don't post anything on the internet that you don't want someone else to read! People are stupid and do stupid things and then get fired and wonder why. Unbelievable.

Fritz
03-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Would this be true of Packerrats as well?