PDA

View Full Version : United Football League Announced

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Interesting, I heard about this on Mike and Mike this morning, so I looked it up. It seemed to take them by surprise too, like, "where did this come from?" They said 4 teams, a 6 game schedule that will run during the NFL season (after the NFL season starts and before it ends). Games are Thursday night and there are several coaches with NFL HC experience; Fassel, Denny Green, Haslett and DC Ted Cottrell.

An interesting idea for sure. I like their guts in competing. Personally, I would have tried to crack LA as a market, and perhaps they did and couldn't get it done.

http://www.ufl-football.com/home

MJZiggy
03-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Why do they have to have their games during football season? I'm sitting here completely football starved and might actually watch another league right now, but if they think I'm turning off a Packer game to watch one of theirs, they're nuts.

cpk1994
03-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Why do they have to have their games during football season? I'm sitting here completely football starved and might actually watch another league right now, but if they think I'm turning off a Packer game to watch one of theirs, they're nuts.Their games are thursday nights before the NFL Network starts running their gamames. You don't have to worry about a Packer game during that time.

EDIT: I could have sworn that a league by this name not too long ago was announced by Mark Cuban. I don't know if that is the same league as his name isn't listed among the founders or executives.

cpk1994
03-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Interesting, I heard about this on Mike and Mike this morning, so I looked it up. It seemed to take them by surprise too, like, "where did this come from?" They said 4 teams, a 6 game schedule that will run during the NFL season (after the NFL season starts and before it ends). Games are Thursday night and there are several coaches with NFL HC experience; Fassel, Denny Green, Haslett and DC Ted Cottrell.

An interesting idea for sure. I like their guts in competing. Personally, I would have tried to crack LA as a market, and perhaps they did and couldn't get it done.

http://www.ufl-football.com/homeThey did crack LA as a market:

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/los_angeles

3irty1
03-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Wow a lot has changed since I last read about this. I thought the plan was to make the league run before the NFL season started in order to poach some of the guys at the bottom of NFL rosters who wanted a chance to play. It sounded beneficial to the NFL. When I last heard there were six teams too and one of them was owned by Mark Cuban. I'm surprised to hear there are only four now.

My money is that Michael Vick plays in this.

KYPack
03-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Why not a 2 team league with a one game season?

Sounds like they did have 6 teams and combined two of 'em.

This project does have a "Cuban" feel to it, he probably dropped out.

Patler
03-10-2009, 08:11 AM
This league is trying to position itself to be absorbed into the NFL if and when the NFL decides to expand. Not a bad idea.

Playing during the NFL season will give them access to better players. Anyone not on the 53 man roster or practice squad of an NFL team might play in the UFL. Playing in the NFL off season eliminates any players on the NFL off season rosters, about 80 players/team. That is a difference of more than 800 players.

The UFL rosters will not be set until well after the final NFL cutdowns. With only 6 teams or so, the league could consist almost entirely of players released in the final NFL roster cutdowns, very few of whom would be available during the NFL off season unless there was a working agreement with the UFL similar to NFL-E. We could see a lot of experienced NFL players ending up in this league, looking for work after being released.

Fritz
03-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll watch as long as they have guys named "He Hate Me" running around the field.

GrnBay007
03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
My money is that Michael Vick plays in this.

Speaking of Michael Vick.....
Got an extra 3.2 mil laying around his house is being auctioned off today. :D

And what a house it is!

http://news.aol.com/article/notorious-michael-vick-mansion-for-sale/372586

LL2
03-10-2009, 09:38 AM
I can't see this league succeeding, but maybe people will watch the Thursday night games as some people can't wait a whole week to watch a game.

Patler
03-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I can't see this league succeeding, but maybe people will watch the Thursday night games as some people can't wait a whole week to watch a game.

I don't know, it might succeed. It could have a lot of recognizable names in it.
If Brett Favre gets the "itch" in mid September.....who knows! The shortened season, ending before December rolls in, might be just what he needs!

I'm actually half serious. The league giving Favre $1M/game might not be the dumbest thing to do.

mraynrand
03-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll watch as long as they have guys named "He Hate Me" running around the field.

That could be Favre - with a pic of TT silk screened on the back of his jersey.

Fosco33
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
The UFL's approach, rules and style of play will look and feel substantially similar to the NFL and will cater to those markets currently underserved by professional football.

In its "Premiere" season, the UFL will have four teams playing in seven cities. The four teams selected for 2009 are Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco/Sacramento.

Calling New York/New England area (Jets, Giants, Pats, Bills) and San Fran (Niners, Raiders) underserved markets... seems like calling the passed out dude who peed on your couch sober.

bobblehead
03-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I still liked the NFL europe idea....except I would do it here in America. I think they need to run a 32 team minor league system where guys can develope talent. It would run in the offseason. Teams would play near the parent club (Milwaukee?). Rosters would be a bit smaller and salaries would be much smaller.

I could definately see myself tuning in to watch the packers minor league team....trying to pick out the next guy to break out.

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
What Ziggy said and what Bobblehead said.

oregonpackfan
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM
In today's economy, how does a new football league hope to financially survive? Many sports teams, including the NFL, are laying off their office personnel.

Here in Portland, a multi-millionaire is trying to bring in a Major League Soccer team. The main argument most people have against it is wondering if they can both get enough people to attend as well as line up enough sponsors.

I just don't see the country being able to financially support another football league.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM

http://www.ufl-football.com/homeThey did crack LA as a market:

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/los_angeles

My bad! That makes sense since the NFL can't seem to either get any takers for the market, or are resisting putting a team there, for whatever reason.

MJZiggy
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
They've had two teams there already. I just don't think LA cares.

digitaldean
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
In today's economy, how does a new football league hope to financially survive? Many sports teams, including the NFL, are laying off their office personnel.

Here in Portland, a multi-millionaire is trying to bring in a Major League Soccer team. The main argument most people have against it is wondering if they can both get enough people to attend as well as line up enough sponsors.

I just don't see the country being able to financially support another football league.

Unless you are the Detroit Lions and attendance is dipping because of a sucky team, virtually no teams are losing money. (According to Forbes, the Kitties were the ONLY team to lose money in 2007, no word on 2008).

That's thanks to the revenue sharing. The franchises laying off employees should be ashamed. Dan Snyder, the dumbass of the NFL, has enough money to sign Albert Haynesworth, but lays off 20 Washington front office employees and several staffers at FedEx Field. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE!?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Unless you are the Detroit Lions and attendance is dipping because of a sucky team, virtually no teams are losing money. (According to Forbes, the Kitties were the ONLY team to lose money in 2007, no word on 2008).

That's thanks to the revenue sharing. The franchises laying off employees should be ashamed. Dan Snyder, the dumbass of the NFL, has enough money to sign Albert Haynesworth, but lays off 20 Washington front office employees and several staffers at FedEx Field. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE!?

If the front office guys or fedex can play dlinemen..then he is stupid. Otherwise, i dont' understand your argument.

Are you against companies bringing in talent and laying off underperforming or redundant employees?

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Now now! Some of you are pretty close to letting politics creep in.

A new football league, taken at face value, is a good thing.

The ideas several have had in the forum are much better ideas yet. However, they are fiction and the dinky little four team league with a six game schedule is the reality.

I'd watch the new league long before I'd ever watch Major League Wimpsport/Soccer.

Bretsky
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM

That could be Favre - with a pic of TT silk screened on the back of his jersey.

"TT HATE ME"

LL2
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Rumor has it the new league will be hiring Haslet, Green, and Fassel. Having some decent coaches might give the team a shot.

As far as bringing a Packer monor league team to Wisconsin maybe the Packerrats can raise some money to do this and the new team can be called Packerrats. I don't think Madtown will want any royalies or anything.