PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to Ted and nomore smokescreens.

woodbuck27
04-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Dear Ted: Wed, 5 Aprill 2006

Hello Ted. How's it going there Lad? It's getting closer then you may have realized as were about 23 days, 17 hours away till the 2006 NFL Draft.

Now Ted you'll have to excuse my bluntness but I've been keeping a close eye on your, errrr progress in the Off Season and well I'm a wee bit concerned, that you might be needing some help. I knows that you've been counting on yer Scoutin' Depatment of fellas but just maybe this might sink into yer grey matter, and we'll be gettin' OUR Packers back to where this Team belongs.

Yer really quite the tricky fella there Ted. Some of this stuff you've been quoted as saying sure isn't making alot of sense to me. Isn't that right Ted?

You've got that valuable #5 pick Ted, so by all that's Holy , don't be trading that pick away, Eh! I've seldom seen you speak through the media but I've been picking up on the thing you've got against using that high pick for a LBer. Well Ted you'd certainly be the expert on knowing what you were worth when you played there. So that means that A J Hawk is out , and I know that you and Brett Favre are good Friends and all as he said that, so here's the scoop.

Sure seems to me that Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart and a Super Mario and that Brick fella, will all be gone when the Packers are on the clock, so here's the plan Ted.

You gotta take that superman at the TE position, Vernon Davis with that #5. This fella is unreal with all the speed , under 4.4 seconds and leaping ability, with something like a 43 inch verticle and 33 reps to boot . Dam he's real strong too.

Been hearing you say stuff to throw people off, like we just signed Bubba to a special deal last year and that Donald Lee is a good TE as well, but come on Ted. We can be up front with one another and Vernon Davis is your man.The heck with that Javon Walker too as you can split Vernon out wide as well.

After that, it's all hope, that these people may be in place to draft as well. Here are my picks Ted , and maybe they'll be making sense to ya too.

Round # 2 and pick # 36 - Go with LB Bobby Carpenter.

Bobby Carpenter - Ohio St. 6-2 1/2 256 lbs. 4.66 sec.

Round # 3 and pick # 67 - Go with WR Demetrius Williams.

Demetrius Williams - Oregon 6-1 3/4 197 lbs. 4.46 sec.

Round # 4 and pick # 104 - Go to DE Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards - Purdue 6-4 3/4 273 lbs. 4.79 sec.

Round # 5 First Pick @ pick # 139 overall - Go with OG Kevin Boothe

Kevin Boothe - Cornell 6-4 3/4 316 lbs. 5.41 sec.

Round # 5 Compensatory pick # 165 - WR/KR Devin Aromashodu

Devin Aromashodu - Auburn 6-2 1/2 201 lbs 4.35 sec.

Round # 7 pick # 253 - Your choice Ted !

Hoping that's of service to you and if you need a Scout up here in Canada then give me a jingle.

My name is Ed.

Partial
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
In my opinion, that would be an extremely dissapointing draft. It wouldn't effectively shore up any positions, because the tight end position is good enough as is. Bubba is a 3-time pro bowler and we have the two speed demon tight ends already.

First thing they should do is get Woodson to sign.

Drafting hawk in the first would complete the linebacking core while drafting Carpenter would merely make it almost NFL quality. Grabbing Hawk will shore up that position.

Drafting Guard in the 4th round is just not a good idea. They should trade down in the second and grab Davin Joseph. With the extra third they gain, they should grab your end, and Brandon Williams to handle the returning and being an extra receiver. Williams will shore up the receiving core and the return game.

They should trade their 4th round pick for Faine. They have acquired two quality starters for the oline then, and will let all the other guards compete for that other spot. That position is shored up.

Later on they should continue trading down adding projects and depth at the DE position and at the Linebacking spots. Maybe even take a chance on an athletic small-forward reject that decides to declare for the draft. Last time that happened it worked out very well.

In drafting this way, they shore up the offensive line, which will be the catalyst that gets the offense back on track. The number 1 back would easily rush for 1500 yards and we'd be near the top of the league with that. Because our running game is so successful, that opens up the passing game. We'd be dominating on offense once again.

We'd have some guys to compete to stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs at KGBs spot. The rest of the line is satisfactory and is young so they will continue to get better.

The linebackers would be Hawk, Barnett, and whomever wins the other spot. That group suddenly goes from the worst unit on the Packers to one of the best with the addition of the new team leader, and prennial pro-bowler AJ Hawk.

The defensive back positon would be manned by Woodson and Harris. Woodson would be a great number 2 corner, and Harris will be an average number 1 corner. Carroll would be a kick-ass nickleback. Collins and Manual should be the tough physical duo we learn to love.

Overall, my draft addresses the positions of need while taking what will be extremely good, safe picks in the long run. Vernon Davis may have great upside but like super Mario he has questions. AJ Hawk comes in question free. He is the man. He is the choice.

HarveyWallbangers
04-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I know you love Hawk, Partial, but that draft is as good as any other at this point. I have a feeling that Carpenter goes at the end of round 1.

oregonpackfan
04-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Demetrius Williams (WR) from Oregon as a third round pick? NO WAY!

First of all, you list Williams at 6' 1 and 3/4". As somone who watches every Ducks and Oregon State Beavers games, I can say that Williams is probably no taller than 5'11". He does not have the size to fit the tall, big receiver prototype that McCathy and Thompson seem to want.

Though Williams was a very good college receiver he does not deserve to be picked any higher than 6th round, AT BEST.

As far as WR talent from the state of Oregon, I would much rather see the Packers pick Oregon State's Mike Hass over Demetrius Williams. He gets open quicker than Williams and has better hands.

At 6'1" tall(and his measurements are accurate), Hass still may be a bit too small for the alledged size preference McCarthy and Thompson want for their future receivers.

Oregonpackfan

woodbuck27
04-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Yes Partial . Alot depends what one believes is best with that #5 pick. 100 people will give you 100 different draft cards. Working one of these scenario's out and trading down would give me too much time on the exercise. LOL

That draft address's the needs I see on OUR "O" of course. Having Bubba and Donald Lee in no way sways me from thinking, that Vernon Davis may be the Offensive prize in this draft. Look what T. Gonzalez and A. Gates do for their teams, considering just the degree of concern these TE's - that stretch the field - cause the oppositions defensive co-ordinators.

When I saw Vernon Davis on film I was in awe. As I said Partial, that draft address's mostly problems in OUR "O" ,and if you see me post you'll of course realize that draft comes from me with a wish and a prayer.

Ted Thompson isn't likely going anywhere near that potential of picks. It's not a bad draft and I would revise it as well as I'm not totally satisfied it's my dream draft . It's not bad .

woodbuck27
04-05-2006, 10:48 PM
oregonpackfan my info. is based entirely on what's available on the net and doing some reasonable comparison between resources.

The key info. I glean from your post is go big (Tall) at WR for the Packers or stay home.

Thanks

oregonpackfan
04-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Woodbuck,

For the record, I was not implying that YOU were falsifying Demetrius Williams' height. Many athletic programs, particularly in basketball, exaggerate the physical characteristics of their athletes to "Give them an Edge."

It is possible the Oregon Ducks coaches recorded Williams' height larger than it is or even the internet stats may be unintentionally wrong.

I am just saying that having watched Williams play the past two years that he cannot be taller than 5'11".

In addition, I don't agree that a receiver has to be a particular height or size to be successfull in the pros. Rodney Harrison of the Colts is small compared to many receivers, but most NFL teams would love to have him on their squad.

It is my opinion that 6'1", 205 lb Mike Hass is going to surprise a lot of people at the pro level. If you know his story, no Division 1 football team offered him a football scholarship coming out of high school. He had to literally beg then Oregon State coach Dennis Erickson to let him walk on.

What does Hass do with his "walk on." status? He breaks virtually every Oregon State and Pac-10 receiving record and wins the Fred Biletnikoff Award. This virutal unknown receiver is a player!

Oregonpackfan

woodbuck27
04-06-2006, 09:52 AM
"What does Hass do with his "walk on." status? He breaks virtually every Oregon State and Pac-10 receiving record and wins the Fred Biletnikoff Award. This virutal unknown receiver is a player! " Oregonpackfan

For sure Hass is a very promising prospect and he might be a real good one in the NFL.

My draft isn't written in stone and I could do dozens of them. Vital stat's. I use are just the one's that are available to me.You say that Demetrius Williams' is about 5-11 that's good for me.

Scott Campbell
10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Yer really quite the tricky fella there Ted. Some of this stuff you've been quoted as saying sure isn't making alot of sense to me. Isn't that right Ted?

That's because it's football, not curling.

:lol:

gbgary
10-25-2011, 09:53 AM

rbaloha1
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Why recycle a 5+ year old thread? Get a life dude.

ThunderDan
10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Why recycle a 5+ year old thread? Get a life dude.

PSSST... it was SC who bumped the thread. Maybe you should apologize to GBGary.

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 11:32 AM

To be fair to Woody, five years later we only have two players left from the 2006 draft: Hawk and Jennings. You could maybe count Jolly, but he's not going to play for the Packers again.

Scott Campbell
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Periodically it's fun to look back at our past, and laugh at ourselves.

ND72
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
side note...I love the Toilet Paper...

red
10-25-2011, 11:44 AM
ray edwards sure would look good right about now

Brandon494
10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
ray edwards sure would look good right about now

In a 3-4 defense?

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
In a 3-4 defense?

I don't think he has a place in the 3-4. If we have Edwards, maybe we never switch to the 3-4, and if we don't switch to the 3-4 we never add Capers, Raji, and Matthews, and then it's probable we don't win the superbowl...

Ted is a genius.

red
10-25-2011, 04:34 PM
edwards was like 275 at draft time, he's lost almost 10 pounds since then.

maybe we have him add 10 instead

a 285-290 DE isn't that small for the 3-4

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Does he have short or long arms?

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Does he have short or long arms?

I think average, like 33".

woodbuck27
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Dear Ted: Wed, 5 Aprill 2006

Hello Ted. How's it going there Lad? It's getting closer then you may have realized as were about 23 days, 17 hours away till the 2006 NFL Draft.

Now Ted you'll have to excuse my bluntness but I've been keeping a close eye on your, errrr progress in the Off Season and well I'm a wee bit concerned, that you might be needing some help. I knows that you've been counting on yer Scoutin' Depatment of fellas but just maybe this might sink into yer grey matter, and we'll be gettin OUR Packers back to where this Team belongs.

You've got that valuable #5 pick Ted, so by all that's Holy , don't be trading that pick away, Eh! I've seldom seen you speak through the media but I've been picking up on the thing you've got against using that high pick for a LBer. Well Ted you'd certainly be the expert on knowing what you were worth when you played there. So that means that A J Hawk is out , and I know that you and Brett Favre are good Friends and all as he said that, so here's the scoop.

Sure seems to me that Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart and a Super Mario and that Brick fella, will all be gone when the Packers are on the clock, so here's the plan Ted.

You gotta take that superman at the TE position, Vernon Davis with that #5. This fella is unreal with all the speed , under 4.4 seconds and leaping ability, with something like a 43 inch verticle and 33 reps to boot . Dam he's real strong too.

Been hearing you say stuff to throw people off, like we just signed Bubba to a special deal last year and that Donald Lee is a good TE as well, but come on Ted. We can be up front with one another and Vernon Davis is your man.The heck with that Javon Walker too as you can split Vernon out wide as well.

After that, it's all hope, that these people may be in place to draft as well. Here are my picks Ted , and maybe they'll be making sense to ya too.

Round # 2 and pick # 36 - Go with LB Bobby Carpenter.

Bobby Carpenter - Ohio St. 6-2 1/2 256 lbs. 4.66 sec.

Round # 3 and pick # 67 - Go with WR Demetrius Williams.

Demetrius Williams - Oregon 6-1 3/4 197 lbs. 4.46 sec.

Round # 4 and pick # 104 - Go to DE Ray Edwards

Ray Edwards - Purdue 6-4 3/4 273 lbs. 4.79 sec.

Round # 5 First Pick @ pick # 139 overall - Go with OG Kevin Boothe

Kevin Boothe - Cornell 6-4 3/4 316 lbs. 5.41 sec.

Round # 5 Compensatory pick # 165 - WR/KR Devin Aromashodu

Devin Aromashodu - Auburn 6-2 1/2 201 lbs 4.35 sec.

Round # 7 pick # 253 - Your choice Ted !

Hoping that's of service to you and if you need a Scout up here in Canada then give me a jingle.

My name is Ed.

Well not too bad. Four of those six players are active and they include: NO. 1 TE Vernon Davis, LB Bobby Carpenter, DE Ray Edwards and C Kevin Boothe.

Demetrius Williams was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens and was signed by the Cleveland Browns on October 26, 2010. He was targeted twice in a loss to his old of team (the Ravens) but never had a REC through the entire season. My search says that: He's no longer active in the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_Williams

Devin Aromashodu or Gbolahan Devin Aromashodu (born May 23, 1984) is an American football wide receiver for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Auburn. Aromashodu has also been a member of the Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans, Washington Redskins and Chicago Bears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Aromashodu

GO Ted Thompson and the GREEN BAY PACKERS !!!