PDA

View Full Version : OT: What a nice man!

packinpatland
07-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Just wanted to share the experience I had last week passing thru Chicago. I was in the Admirals Club at OHare, and who should sit down next to us, but Mike Ditka. We chatted. I shook his hand, told him I admired him as a coach. He was very gracious, said 'thankyou, I really appreciate that'. Once again, what a nice man.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I have always liked Ditka because he is smart and funny. Well, "always" is a slight exaggeration, back in the 80's when he was outfoxing Forest "The Twitch" Gregg every game, I hated him.

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Mike Ditka went a long way's to defining BEAR toughness and no nonsence play.

Where have men like him gone to :?:

Tony Oday
07-12-2006, 01:58 PM
yeah the guy that pushed mike singleterry over :)

Noodle
07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Blue Dog, do you really think he was smart, in the sense of Bellichick or Levy or Walsh?

I always thought he was a good motivator, and probably a good organizer, but he never struck me as all that bright a bulb. And outwitting the witless (Twitchy) really isn't much of a claim to fame, is it?

But I'll agree it's most excellent when sports icons are cool when you get a chance to meet 'em. I've been in the lounge at Billy Mitchell and run in to Alvarez a few times -- total pr*ck. This was when he was a coach, and maybe he makes more of an effort now that he's an AD, but man, the guy was just full of himself.