PDA

View Full Version : Smith restructures with 49ers

Guiness
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11483215

Quarterback Alex Smith is staying with the San Francisco 49ers after agreeing Tuesday to a restructured contract sharply reducing his base salary.

The former No. 1 overall draft pick was due to make nearly $10 million in the upcoming season under the contract he signed in 2005. Financial terms weren't immediately available, but the 49ers now have Smith under contract for the next two years at a salary more commensurate with his four up-and-down seasons with the club.

"Alex expressed a deep interest to remain with the team, and that feeling was mutual," said 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, who would have released Smith before training camp without a reworked deal.

The deal allows Smith to join the 49ers on Monday for their first offseason team meetings and a minicamp on the weekend under Jimmy Raye, San Francisco's fifth offensive coordinator in Smith's five seasons. Smith couldn't have participated in the workouts without a new contract because of insurance liabilities.

Smith missed most of the past two seasons with injuries while feuding with former coach Mike Nolan. After Mike Singletary replaced Nolan midway through last season, Smith became more outspoken about his desire to stay in San Francisco.

Smith, whose recent honeymoon delayed negotiations on his new deal, is still hoping to live up to the promise that compelled the 49ers to choose him at the top of the notoriously flimsy 2005 draft ahead of Aaron Rodgers, Braylon Edwards, DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman.

The 49ers still believe the former Utah star has potential he hasn't tapped after just one full season as their starter, in 2006. Smith has passed for 4,679 yards in 32 career games, throwing 19 touchdown passes and 31 interceptions.

Smith separated his throwing shoulder in the fourth game of 2007 on a sack by Seattle's Rocky Bernard. He attempted to return quickly from the injury, but his struggles opened a rift with Nolan, with each accusing the other of misunderstanding the injury.

Smith underwent shoulder surgery after the season, but then broke a bone elsewhere in his shoulder. He didn't play at all last season, undergoing more surgery in October to clean up his shoulder.

After the 49ers failed in their pursuit of free agent quarterback Kurt Warner last week, Smith is expected to head into training camp in competition for the starting job with Shaun Hill, who is 7-3 as a starter over the past two seasons. San Francisco also signed veteran quarterback Damon Huard last week.

Raye is the 49ers' seventh offensive coordinator in seven seasons overall, and the annual installation of a new scheme has led to offenses that were the NFL's worst in two of Smith's four seasons.

No surprise here. And at least he didn't have too much hubris to realize he needed to do this to prolong his NFL career. I think the jury is still out on this guy, but the clock sure is ticking. He could still be an NFL starter, but who knows?

5 O co-ords in five years, and the team has has 7 in 7? That's awful. I wonder what happened with Martz, one year in Detoilet, one in SF.

One interesting aspect...first name they mention as players the 49ers 'could've had' is Aaron Rodgers.

mraynrand
03-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Quarterback Alex Smith is staying with the San Francisco 49ers after agreeing Tuesday to a restructured contract sharply reducing his base salary.

The former No. 1 overall draft pick was due to make nearly $10 million in the upcoming season under the contract he signed in 2005. Financial terms weren't immediately available, but the 49ers now have Smith under contract for the next two years at a salary more commensurate with his four up-and-down seasons with the club.

"Alex expressed a deep interest to remain with the team, and that feeling was mutual," said 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan, who would have released Smith before training camp without a reworked deal.

The deal allows Smith to join the 49ers on Monday for their first offseason team meetings and a minicamp on the weekend under Jimmy Raye, San Francisco's fifth offensive coordinator in Smith's five seasons. Smith couldn't have participated in the workouts without a new contract because of insurance liabilities.

Smith missed most of the past two seasons with injuries while feuding with former coach Mike Nolan. After Mike Singletary replaced Nolan midway through last season, Smith became more outspoken about his desire to stay in San Francisco.

Smith, whose recent honeymoon delayed negotiations on his new deal, is still hoping to live up to the promise that compelled the 49ers to choose him at the top of the notoriously flimsy 2005 draft ahead of Aaron Rodgers, Braylon Edwards, DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman.

The 49ers still believe the former Utah star has potential he hasn't tapped after just one full season as their starter, in 2006. Smith has passed for 4,679 yards in 32 career games, throwing 19 touchdown passes and 31 interceptions.

Smith separated his throwing shoulder in the fourth game of 2007 on a sack by Seattle's Rocky Bernard. He attempted to return quickly from the injury, but his struggles opened a rift with Nolan, with each accusing the other of misunderstanding the injury.

Smith underwent shoulder surgery after the season, but then broke a bone elsewhere in his shoulder. He didn't play at all last season, undergoing more surgery in October to clean up his shoulder.

After the 49ers failed in their pursuit of free agent quarterback Kurt Warner last week, Smith is expected to head into training camp in competition for the starting job with Shaun Hill, who is 7-3 as a starter over the past two seasons. San Francisco also signed veteran quarterback Damon Huard last week.

Raye is the 49ers' seventh offensive coordinator in seven seasons overall, and the annual installation of a new scheme has led to offenses that were the NFL's worst in two of Smith's four seasons.

No surprise here. And at least he didn't have too much hubris to realize he needed to do this to prolong his NFL career. I think the jury is still out on this guy, but the clock sure is ticking. He could still be an NFL starter, but who knows?

5 O co-ords in five years, and the team has has 7 in 7? That's awful. I wonder what happened with Martz, one year in Detoilet, one in SF.

One interesting aspect...first name they mention as players the 49ers 'could've had' is Aaron Rodgers.

A lot of teams will be saying this.

sheepshead
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Partial still wants Smith.

MadScientist
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM

I suspect that Rodgers would be wearing the bust label if he were put in the same circumstances. I feel a bit sorry for Smith, but not a bit for the 49ers.

Partial
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Partial still wants Smith.

??? Why are you putting words in my mouth?

mission
03-10-2009, 05:18 PM

I suspect that Rodgers would be wearing the bust label if he were put in the same circumstances. I feel a bit sorry for Smith, but not a bit for the 49ers.

That's a fair statement, but would most of this forum be happy about Smith as our QB if he were put in the same circumstances as Rodgers? Maybe...

Fritz
03-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm just glad TT took Rodgers. At the time, I wasn't that excited about the pick, at all. But now...wow. What a great pick. Much better than 7/8ths of the guys taken ahead of him...the Ronnie Browns, the Cedric Bensons, the Braylon Edwardses, the Erasmus Jameses, the Matt Joneses....

cheesner
03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm just glad TT took Rodgers. At the time, I wasn't that excited about the pick, at all. But now...wow. What a great pick. Much better than 7/8ths of the guys taken ahead of him...the Ronnie Browns, the Cedric Bensons, the Braylon Edwardses, the Erasmus Jameses, the Matt Joneses....I was happy with the pick. When BF decided to stay around a bit longer, I was unhappy with the pick (but knew it was necessary when TT made it). Now, its all good.

The one thing that AR had in college that Smith did not was the commanding poise and leadership skills. Those just can't be taught. If AR was thrown to the wolves and was playing for the 49ers would he have succeeded? Or would the loss of confidence playing on a lousy team have eroded his poise/leadership before he really developed?

MJZiggy
03-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Or would he have earned their respect and pulled that crappy team together and done better with them than Smith did?

Guiness
03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Or would he have earned their respect and pulled that crappy team together and done better with them than Smith did?

I honestly don't think so.

Neither Rodgers nor Smith were 'out of the gate' starters, like Peyton Manning, or more recently, Matt Ryan. Rodgers didn't blow anyone away with his first camp. Obviously, he came around. Who knows if Smith would've, but thrown in the way he was, he had no chance. And I'm not so sure Rodgers would've either.

Partial
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm just glad TT took Rodgers. At the time, I wasn't that excited about the pick, at all. But now...wow. What a great pick. Much better than 7/8ths of the guys taken ahead of him...the Ronnie Browns, the Cedric Bensons, the Braylon Edwardses, the Erasmus Jameses, the Matt Joneses....I was happy with the pick. When BF decided to stay around a bit longer, I was unhappy with the pick (but knew it was necessary when TT made it). Now, its all good.

The one thing that AR had in college that Smith did not was the commanding poise and leadership skills. Those just can't be taught. If AR was thrown to the wolves and was playing for the 49ers would he have succeeded? Or would the loss of confidence playing on a lousy team have eroded his poise/leadership before he really developed?

Source? I've never heard anything pertaining to their college leadership skills either way. Neither was at their respective school that long, weren't they both starters for just two years?

Smith is an athlete and I wouldn't give up on him yet. SF is a mess..

Both guys had very good teams. I like Cutler the best of any of the young QBs right now I think. I think Detroit immediately becomes viable if they land him.

SnakeLH2006
03-12-2009, 02:17 AM

Source? I've never heard anything pertaining to their college leadership skills either way. Neither was at their respective school that long, weren't they both starters for just two years?

Smith is an athlete and I wouldn't give up on him yet. SF is a mess..

Both guys had very good teams. I like Cutler the best of any of the young QBs right now I think. I think Detroit immediately becomes viable if they land him.

Wow, if that's the case, why didn't you post as much in the Partial poll from a week ago for ya about the best long term solutions at QB/or Arod??

Yeah, Cutler is looking real solid lately...so much so that Denver is telling him to fuck off while they try to trade major draft picks and contract cash for NE's Cassell, a journeyman at best. Cutler's the man for sure. :roll:

Partial
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Coaches and GMs often want their own guys. Trading for a guy like Cassell is crazy when you've got a guy who's always kept a team competitive in Cutler. Foolish move.