PDA

View Full Version : BRIDGES

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Hey guys am taking a communation class right now in the summer and i have to give a speech on how bridges are built. I have to talk about how they move the water from the bottom of the bay and how the legs of the birdge are builted after the water is removed. Does any1 have info on this, it would really help me. :smile:

And yes i'm to lazy to just look it up. :oops:

Tony Oday
07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
there was a REAL good show on the History channel about the brooklyn/golden gate bridges. That could help.

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
"I have to talk about how they move the water from the bottom of the bay and how the legs of the birdge are builted after the water is removed." PaCkFan_n_MD

Uhhh !

We've got some work to do.

I'm going on a search to try to help you PaCkFan_n_MD.

Moving the water from the bottom of the bay - is a job for Moses or anyone closer related to GOD, than any Civil Engineer that I've ever met. :mrgreen:

Fosco33
07-12-2006, 11:07 AM
there was a REAL good show on the History channel about the brooklyn/golden gate bridges. That could help.

Yeah, I think I saw the one on the GG. It was really delayed and very really overbudget from what I recall.

I'd do a web search. A quick one returned lots of promissing leads - http://architecture.about.com/od/bridgegallery/

KYPack
07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
For one thing, they don't "move the water from the bottom of the bay"

They build caissons (sp?)

you need to google, bud.

This is a complicated deal & you need to understand it instead of plagarizing woodbuck's google work.

Deputy Nutz
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, I would start watching the Discovery Channel and the History Channel day and night. They will usually have a program or two about bridges or some shit.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
thank you all for ur help, any other info would be appreciated. :smile:

Little Whiskey
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
packfan, here is what you do. you stand up infront of class and say "bridges are built by MAGIC!!!" then sit down. guaranteed "A" :mrgreen:

Noodle
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
worked for me.

BTW, Nutz, LMAO.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
you know Little Whiskey, that may work. Just the other day my teacher made us practice looking in the audiences eyes (classmates) as we were talking. It was our choice to talk about anything we wanted and I started singing the ABC’s, so every1 in the class including the teacher knows I joke a lot.

Then she made e1 in the class go one by one in front of the room and answer a question that she read from this creative thinking book that had like 5000 off the wall questions. The piont was to think on your feet in front of an aduience and you had two talk for about 2 minutes. The question i got was describe your first kiss. And lets just say in was very detailed, and i even got the teacher cracking up on that one. :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/MSAD54Pages/SAMS/Maplesite/Maple%20Math%20Home/2001.bridges/homepagebridge.jpg

OBJECTIVE - To build a bridge with 100 toothpicks and 45 cm. of balsa wood.

GRADES - The bridge will be graded by 5 categories...

Teamwork - based on completed bridge in allotted time, following safety rules of the classroom, and responsibility of materials.

Mathwork - based on meeting the bridge specifications (height of bases, height of bridge, width of bridge), blueprint quality and match to finished product, and measurement of cardboard ground (for bases to connect).

Appearance - based on a scale of 1 to 10 scored by the student's classmates. (1 being poor - 5 being average - 10 being excellent.)

Geometry - based on having special geometric principles in the bridge's design such as 3 types of angle, 3 different polygons, sets of parallel lines, congruency, and sets of perpendicular lines.

Strength - how much weight the bridge will hold without breaking. A bridge must hold 12 and 1/2 points for full credit.

Little Whiskey
07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
nutz, we had that same assignment in hs science class. except we had to use straws and pins. after missing the first two days (due to a funeral), i was stuck with the weird chick who enjoyed making the hamsters kiss and stare longingly at the fish tanks (maybe a relative of murph's). after i told her to simply look after the hamsters, i proceeded to build the bridge that held the most weight. ya, i was pretty proud! to bad she also got the same A that i did, but i guess the hamsters never wondered too far.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
lol!
i give it a 9.5

oregonpackfan
07-15-2006, 07:54 PM
The K'Nex company has a whole set of bridge building options that elementary and middle school kids love. Some of the designs are even movable styles of drawbridges.

Check out their website.

woodbuck27
07-15-2006, 09:13 PM

you need to google, bud.

This is a complicated deal & you need to understand it instead of plagarizing woodbuck's google work.

Yeeaaa ! I believe you may be right KYPack.

I completely forgot to get the info. for YOU on that, as there have been other things pop up, and I apolgize PaCkFan_n_MD.

First reaction: Change schools really fast !

Second reaction: Change schools REALLY - REALLY FAST ! :mrgreen:

I think your really,very funny and pulling OUR leg. Good one !

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love a solid practical joke. Keep it coming.

woodbuck27
07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
http://www.msad54.k12.me.us/MSAD54Pages/SAMS/Maplesite/Maple%20Math%20Home/2001.bridges/homepagebridge.jpg

OBJECTIVE - To build a bridge with 100 toothpicks and 45 cm. of balsa wood.

GRADES - The bridge will be graded by 5 categories...

Teamwork - based on completed bridge in allotted time, following safety rules of the classroom, and responsibility of materials.

Mathwork - based on meeting the bridge specifications (height of bases, height of bridge, width of bridge), blueprint quality and match to finished product, and measurement of cardboard ground (for bases to connect).

Appearance - based on a scale of 1 to 10 scored by the student's classmates. (1 being poor - 5 being average - 10 being excellent.)

Geometry - based on having special geometric principles in the bridge's design such as 3 types of angle, 3 different polygons, sets of parallel lines, congruency, and sets of perpendicular lines.

Strength - how much weight the bridge will hold without breaking. A bridge must hold 12 and 1/2 points for full credit.

That's the way. . . .

Uhh huh, uh huh !!

I like it. . .

Uhh huh,uh huh. . .

That's the way Uhh Huh Uh Huh. . . I like it ! Uhh Huh Uh Huh !!

Ohhh Nutz. Your solid Man !

Great.

Scott Campbell
07-16-2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.smilemasters.com/img/dental_info/bridge-p.jpg

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-16-2006, 09:25 AM

you need to google, bud.

Yeeaaa ! I believe you may be right KYPack.

I completely forgot to get the info. for YOU on that, as there have been other things pop up, and I apolgize PaCkFan_n_MD.

First reaction: Change schools really fast !

Second reaction: Change schools REALLY - REALLY FAST ! :mrgreen:

I think your really,very funny and pulling OUR leg. Good one !

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love a solid practical joke. Keep it coming.

woodbuck man, don't apolgize i just posted this to be funny and your the only one that even considered really helping. Your a really cool dude. :cool:

GrnBay007
07-16-2006, 12:01 PM
wrong bridge scott, but great effort!!! LOL

woodbuck27
07-16-2006, 02:55 PM
" woodbuck man, don't apolgize i just posted this to be funny and your the only one that even considered really helping. Your a really cool dude. " PaCkFan_n_MD

Never - never - never admit it, when you have a good caper going on. . .

You had the chance to really pull 'the dog' on us PaCkFan_n_MD.

Now what are we ever going to do, to get a thread that will provide as much entertainment as this one had the potential to. . .

You might have got some people really thinking, and we could have gone all ' Royal Air Farce ' on them.

SHIT ! Missed opportunities.

Man there are some really DUMB people out there, if you surf the WWW.

Being a Packer fan disqualifies you from that, but jeeeeee we could have really had a tear with that one.

Oh well. That's only strike one! :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
07-16-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.smilemasters.com/img/dental_info/bridge-p.jpg

Glad to see that feller got rid of those lead fillings.

Dam . . . it's hard to get ample plumbing supplies these days.