PDA

View Full Version : Andre Smith STRUGGLES AT ALABAMA PRO DAY

pack4to84
03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”Wow just a few weeks ago he was projected to go 1 or 2. Now he would be lucky if he went in day one at all.

Fritz
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Man, if you can't be motivated to work hard for a couple of months when millions of dollars are on the line, then when would you be motivated?

I wouldn't touch that guy with a ten foot pole.

Guiness
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds like he thought he had it wrapped up, and mailed it in. Unbelievable, there has to be more to this story. You don't play the game for that long, only to pack it in 2 months before the payday comes.

No way he slips out of day 1 though. Too much potential, and even if he slips out of round 1, some team will take a flyer on him and it will be tagged a 'value pick'. A guy with that much talent is too hard to pass up for a rookie contract that will be in the order of a million a year.

Look at Denver taking Maurice Clarett - after everything that happened with him, he still went on day 1.

Fritz
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
You're probably right, Guiness, on both counts. Something's wrong with this dude to be packing it in like he is. Drugs? Home troubles? Vince Young-type issues? Who knows?

Also, someone probably will take a flyer on the guy. I just hope it's not TT - though if he does I trust that Thompson will have done extensive homework on the guy and will have good reason to believe the guy is at heart not a bad guy and is someone who will work.

red
03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
my god, can this guy screw up this process anymore then he already has?

here the whole article that pft has up

SCOUT: “SMITH LOST MILLIONS TODAY”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 11, 2009, 4:25 p.m.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

UPDATE: NFL.com has reported additional details on the workout, noting that Smith was 6-4 1/4, 325 pounds with 40-yard dash times of 5.28 and 5.33 seconds.

He turned in a 25-inch vertical leap, a 7-10 broad jump, a 7.88 time in the three-cone drill and bench pressed 225 pounds for 19 repetitions.

the guy would have been better off if he had shot himself in the leg at a nightclub the night before the combine

i'd be shocked if this idiot goes in the first round after this mess

sheepshead
03-11-2009, 04:53 PM
The biggest most expensive crap-shoot in all of sports is the first round of the NFL draft. Get out TT NOW!

red
03-11-2009, 05:06 PM
i just saw that he also only put up 225, 19 times

thats not very good for a top tier o-lineman

Joemailman
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
my god, can this guy screw up this process anymore then he already has?

here the whole article that pft has up

SCOUT: “SMITH LOST MILLIONS TODAY”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 11, 2009, 4:25 p.m.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

UPDATE: NFL.com has reported additional details on the workout, noting that Smith was 6-4 1/4, 325 pounds with 40-yard dash times of 5.28 and 5.33 seconds.

He turned in a 25-inch vertical leap, a 7-10 broad jump, a 7.88 time in the three-cone drill and bench pressed 225 pounds for 19 repetitions.

the guy would have been better off if he had shot himself in the leg at a nightclub the night before the combine

i'd be shocked if this idiot goes in the first round after this mess

I agree the guy seems unmotivated, but some of those numbers aren't bad. He ran a 5.29 40 while out of shape? Eugene Monroe ran a 5.24 and Michael Oher ran a 5.34. 7.88 on the cone drill is competitive with the top OT's. The bench press was well below average however. The fact he had some decent times while out of shape gives you an idea of his physical ability. I wouldn't take him in the 1st round, but I don't think he'll slide too far in the 2nd.

Partial
03-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I'd take him on day 2 and hope you can get a guy who wants to get it together and earn that big second deal... but no way would I ever consider signing a lazy mofo like that to a big contract :D

Patler
03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
This story is so strange that I suspect there is a major underlying issue beyond him just being lazy. To consider drafting him, a team needs to understand what is causing this.

Fritz
03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree. could be some emotional issue, could be trouble at home, could be drugs. It's more than just laziness. Even lazy players usually can be motivated long enough to look good for awhile when it's money time.

rbaloha1
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Surprising since he had 2 seasons with Nick Saban -- a hard ass.

Still worth the risk in round 3.

oregonpackfan
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Man, if you can't be motivated to work hard for a couple of months when millions of dollars are on the line, then when would you be motivated?

I wouldn't touch that guy with a ten foot pole.

Not only that point, Fritz, but let us not forget that he was suspended for Alabama's Bowl game. It appears this guy has major maturity issues.

I recommend the Packers avoid him as well.

PlantPage55
03-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Just prepare yourselves for the possibility that the Pack drafts him in the first round. I don't think it's likely, but I can see it happening.

A lot of this stuff may be scouts trying to deep-six this talent to see if they can drop him to their pick in the mid to late first.

SnakeLH2006
03-12-2009, 01:27 AM

I'm pretty sure we were talking weights a month ago on here and Bobblehead said he put up more 225 lb. reps than that in high school!! :shock: :lol:

<<Snake bows...

TT loves those street FA's yo! Need an agent? 8-) :lol:

KYPack
03-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Smith cost himself money. He probably won't go that high. He's no top 5 pick anymore. But a bum and a day 2 pick? No way.

A lot of the negative flack he's getting comes from teams trying to snag the kid themselves. He's still a day 1 pick and still a first rounder.

We will have a shot at him.

No way, you all say, eh?

The shirt off move was stupid, but everybody knew he was a fat sumbitch before he ran.

BlueBrewer
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM

I'm pretty sure we were talking weights a month ago on here and Bobblehead said he put up more 225 lb. reps than that in high school!! :shock: :lol:

<<Snake bows...

I could do 25 reps when I was a freshman in college. This is a sad unmotivatable person. With the tens of millions of dollars sitting there in front of him and all he has to do is put down the jelly doughnut and go to the gym. There are some serious issues here.

DonHutson
03-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Not only that point, Fritz, but let us not forget that he was suspended for Alabama's Bowl game. It appears this guy has major maturity issues.

Didn't he get suspended for hiring, or at least making arrangements with an agent? That agent is out a lot of money, too. There's your silver lining. I guess.

Waldo
03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
He was 10 lbs less than his playing weight and looked good in positional drills. His 40 is in fact quite impressive when you consider he did it at 330lbs, not 310. His game isn't being faster than everybody else, his game is being bigger than everybody else, while still fast enough.

Every team that matters knew he was leaving the combine (they interviewed him before hand), it is the guys not privy to those interviews that didn't know that it matters to.

Gil Brandt was on Sirius this morning, he doesn't figure Andre will drop out of the top 10, and suspects that he still goes top 5. Tackle need it too great and his tape is too great. Any scout that watches his tape also knows that he looks bad in shorts. That isn't his game. His game is to look nothing more than good enough in shorts, but being bigger than everybody else while doing it.

texaspackerbacker
03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
OK, I'll take the risk of being the Lone Ranger here--it wouldn't be the first time.

I'd be pleased if this caused him to fall to us at #9, and Thompson took him there.

Based on a silly little thing called a career of college football, he was considered the best OT in this whole draft--one of the very best players.

hoosier
03-12-2009, 11:48 AM
He was 10 lbs less than his playing weight and looked good in positional drills. His 40 is in fact quite impressive when you consider he did it at 330lbs, not 310. His game isn't being faster than everybody else, his game is being bigger than everybody else, while still fast enough.

Every team that matters knew he was leaving the combine (they interviewed him before hand), it is the guys not privy to those interviews that didn't know that it matters to.

Gil Brandt was on Sirius this morning, he doesn't figure Andre will drop out of the top 10, and suspects that he still goes top 5. Tackle need it too great and his tape is too great. Any scout that watches his tape also knows that he looks bad in shorts. That isn't his game. His game is to look nothing more than good enough in shorts, but being bigger than everybody else while doing it.

But if there were already questions about whether he's athletic enough to play LT and then he compounds that through his borderline bizarre behavior (or at least appearing to show profound lack of motivation), it really makes it hard to believe that some team would be willing to risk a high #1 on him. The potential for bust and the prospect of getting Dmitrius Underwood Jr. are just too great.

LL2
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd consider him with our second rd pick...and definitely with one of the 3rd rd picks. The Packers need a stud OL and even if he's a risk....look at Harrell...what has he contributed and he was the 16th pick in the 1st rd. #9 is WAY TOO high though for him.

KYPack
03-12-2009, 12:00 PM
No, actually Tex, I think Waldo and I are with you, my Lone Star bro.

Smith was a dominant difference maker in the SEC.

He blew away other guys that are #1 picks and did it all the time. He's the quickest big strong guy to come out in years.

Actally, it could be great that he had a shit combine and all these hijinks happened. If he falls to 9, TT would snap him up in a NY minute.

All these kids have a bad game in their career. Based on that game, you don't write him off. You don't write off a guy who's great based on the weak combine. Look at it this way. He left the combine, went to ATL and worked out with his trainer like a maniac. He shed 15 - 20 pounds in a short time. Does that sound like a goof who doesn't care?

I think he agent isn't doing him any favors, but he's still a big thing and will go high in the draft. If we get a shot at him, we'll take the kid.

Waldo
03-12-2009, 12:29 PM

But if there were already questions about whether he's athletic enough to play LT and then he compounds that through his borderline bizarre behavior (or at least appearing to show profound lack of motivation), it really makes it hard to believe that some team would be willing to risk a high #1 on him. The potential for bust and the prospect of getting Dmitrius Underwood Jr. are just too great.

What is his bizarre behavior?

It is common knowledge that most projected high draft picks hire agents well before they are officially allowed to (same as tampering and FA), he's the guy that got caught. Guys that wait until the last minute are typically at a disadvantage against those that get the agent earlier. It actually shows some of his competitive fire that he got his agent early. But his agent has shown that he's a moron by getting Andre caught.

He didn't show up to the combine out of shape (for him). He was still more than 5 lbs lighter than he was at the end of the football season. Leaving the combine early is not bizarre behavior. Not working out at the combine is common practice among top draft picks, especially in years past. He was there, got weighed, did the medical stuff and the interviews. That is what he was there to do. Giving his itinerary to the staff at the combine is not his job, his agent should have done that. Again, his agent looks like the idiot.

Then his pro day comes, he's even lighter than the combine. He does OK in the athleticism tests, certainly not elite, but then goes on to do good in the position drills.

His only bizarre behavior is how bizarre the press has been over this. They are trying to tear him down for really trivial nothings. That and I highly doubt that his agent ever gets a top pick again, he's screwed up bad.

LIS, his game is not to look like the best prospect in shorts. That has never been his game. If you want that, J. Smith is your guy. Andre has never been an elite dancing bear. He's so big and long, and athletic enough, that he's tough to get by. But he's much more of a run game mauler than the rest of the guys.

Andre is not your guy if you never want your QB touched. He's a very good pass blocker, but not the best of the best, and will likely always struggle with the cream of the crop speed guys. For teams like Mn, who move the ball primarily on the ground, and need their LT to be good enough to stop the pass rush most of the time, Andre is a beast. For a team like GB whose game is air superiority, who are willing to trade run blocking ability for an absolute shutdown LT in the pass game, Andre is not the best option.

TT and co. are probably hard at work determining whether or not Andre is in fact a better pass blocker than Colledge. If not, there is absolutely no point in drafting him. RT's and G's are not top 10 picks. His run blocking would be great, but that is not GB's game. He would be the ultimate LT for Pit. His game and place of best fit is their game exactly.

Pack-man
03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
No, actually Tex, I think Waldo and I are with you, my Lone Star bro.

Smith was a dominant difference maker in the SEC.

He blew away other guys that are #1 picks and did it all the time. He's the quickest big strong guy to come out in years.

Actally, it could be great that he had a shit combine and all these hijinks happened. If he falls to 9, TT would snap him up in a NY minute.

All these kids have a bad game in their career. Based on that game, you don't write him off. You don't write off a guy who's great based on the weak combine. Look at it this way. He left the combine, went to ATL and worked out with his trainer like a maniac. He shed 15 - 20 pounds in a short time. Does that sound like a goof who doesn't care?

I think he agent isn't doing him any favors, but he's still a big thing and will go high in the draft. If we get a shot at him, we'll take the kid.

Add me to the list that think that he would not be a bad pick at #9. They said that the scouts were really impressed with his agility & footwork. Don't be surprised if you hear "with the 9th pick the Packers take...Andre Smith"

bobblehead
03-12-2009, 01:21 PM

<<Snake bows...

Actually I was 24 at the time...in high school I would have been a state lifting champion with that strength (I think). The poster above who says he did it at 19 is more impressive. (or roided)

One thing you have to remember, elite LT's have long arms and their bench numbers are always a bit off. I'd be more interested in what he squatted and WHY he became a piece of shit overnight.

I'm not a fan of guys like this, but if by some chance he slipped to our pick in the 2nd you gotta consider it, unless we get monroe in the first or something like that.

edit: Didn't see the street FA thing. You think TT is interested in a slow 5'9" 210lb. 39 year old coming off shoulder surgery?? :lol:

bobblehead
03-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Mark Tauscher looks horrible with his shirt off too. All he did was dominate (unnoticed) for about 10 years in the NFL.

Tex could be right, he could be ours at 9 if the interviews and such fall right. But if he really is a head case I wouldn't take him there. But again, tex is right, being the best LT in college for how many? seasons is a resume more important than combine numbers.

Fritz
03-13-2009, 08:36 AM
A. Smith seems to be this year's wild card. Reminds me of Warren Sapp's fall years ago - he got caught smoking dope I think, and "fell" to, I believe, the #13 pick - Tampa Bay.

But other guys have fallen, and end up disappearing. Who knows?

I hope Ted does.

Patler
03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
For all those who want the Packers to draft Smith, there is a Packer connection.

Smith's agent, Alvin Keels is young (just 29), with a very short list of NFL clients, but among his clients are Aaron Rouse and Koren Robinson. I'm not sure if he represented KR when KR was a Packer or not, but I suspect not. Keels also represents DeAngelo Hall and Larry Johnson, among just a few others.

As I wrote before, a team drafting Smith absolutely must understand what went on here. Waldo has presented a case in the best possible light for Smith. Maybe its that way, but I suspect there is more than that. Whether the "more" is significant or not is hard to understand from where we sit.

Every year there seems to be a player who drops significantly because of "issues", who later goes on to have a solid or even great NFL career. On the other hand, there are even more players who have had dominant college careers who basically flop as pros. Smith could fall into either group.

KYPack
03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
For all those who want the Packers to draft Smith, there is a Packer connection.

Smith's agent, Alvin Keels is young (just 29), with a very short list of NFL clients, but among his clients are Aaron Rouse and Koren Robinson. I'm not sure if he represented KR when KR was a Packer or not, but I suspect not. Keels also represents DeAngelo Hall and Larry Johnson, among just a few others.

As I wrote before, a team drafting Smith absolutely must understand what went on here. Waldo has presented a case in the best possible light for Smith. Maybe its that way, but I suspect there is more than that. Whether the "more" is significant or not is hard to understand from where we sit.

Every year there seems to be a player who drops significantly because of "issues", who later goes on to have a solid or even great NFL career. On the other hand, there are even more players who have had dominant college careers who basically flop as pros. Smith could fall into either group.

Keels is 90% of Smith's trouble in the upcoming draft. I'd think the worst is over. Smith is in a jackpot due to his agent's inexperience. Keels had represented players before, with mixed results.
Keels negotiated Larry Johnson's contract and got it done, but took his sweet time getting the deal cut. He screwed up DeAngelo Hall's deal with Oakland. Keel's allowed Oakland too big an out in a quirky deal that basically said "cut me after 8 games".

Then he landed Smith as a client. Alvin Keels was flat out not ready to rep a top 5 NFL pick. Either Keels (or the other agents) got Smith declared ineligible for the Sugar Bowl. You have a huge target on your back with a top 5 pick and everybody shot and hit Alvin keels.

Then came the combine. Keels ran the "good ship Smith" on every sand bar imaginable and made his client look like an inept cartoon character. Keels managed Smith into being a media target. The media, the other agents and coaches and scouts all had an interest in running poor Andre's ass into the ground. And they all did a great job. Most of this stuff going around is scouts, media, and coaches dis-info-ing their asses off. The other agents are joining in the party and having a great time.

Keels was clueless on how to rep a top pick, but I bet he knows how the game is played now. He got his masters degree at the hands of some of the most brutal teachers you can think of.

I doubt he gets another top pick to rep, but if he does, he'll be a lot better next time.

Fritz
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting claim that Waldo made about Smith - that he is a road grader who might not fit the pass-block-first mentality he says the Packers have.

This would present an interesting scenario if A. Smith is sitting at #9.

I do think the trade-down thing is a real possibility, unless Raji is there. IF he is sitting there and TT just trades down and skips out on Raji, I'll be bummed. A little. Cuz TT might turn around and draft a "nobody" who turns into Nick Collins or something.

Joemailman
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
No question Smith has suffered from a lack of advice/judgment. The question is how much can be blamed on bad advice, and how much is bad judgment due to lack of self motivation. After raising red flags by being suspended for the bowl game, it didn't take a genius to figure out that he needed a good combine to reverse the bad publicity he had gotten. Having failed to prepare for the combine, he surely should have understood that he needed to be in top shape for his pro day. Having failed to get in decent shape for the pro day, he certainly should have known you don't run a 40 yard dash with your shirt off when overweight. His talent will get him drafted in the 1st round, but there could be a lot of GM's who will question how serious he is about being a professional football player.

rbaloha1
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
The rationalization of AS's recent behaviors are comical.

Yes, AS has immense talent but a poor attitude and lack of maturity -- plain and simple. Potential for off the field issues. Too risky to give large guaranteed money.

A Mike Sherman pick -- not Ted Thompson. Get real guys.

BlueBrewer
03-13-2009, 12:27 PM

<<Snake bows...

Actually I was 24 at the time...in high school I would have been a state lifting champion with that strength (I think). The poster above who says he did it at 19 is more impressive. (or roided)

One thing you have to remember, elite LT's have long arms and their bench numbers are always a bit off. I'd be more interested in what he squatted and WHY he became a piece of shit overnight.

I'm not a fan of guys like this, but if by some chance he slipped to our pick in the 2nd you gotta consider it, unless we get monroe in the first or something like that.

edit: Didn't see the street FA thing. You think TT is interested in a slow 5'9" 210lb. 39 year old coming off shoulder surgery?? :lol:

No roids here. I lifted weights 3 day a week from eighth grade on up. I was in a weight lifting class my freshman year at LaCrosse when I achieved that number. At the time I was 6'2" 240 with my freshman 15 included. I have never been a specimen by any means, all I am saying is repping 225 more than 19 times is not hard when you are a college football player.

Guiness
03-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Interesting perspective KY and Waldo. A. Smith's agent made a mess of this - he should be guiding his 'elite' client much more carefully. Not saying it's all his fault, but there seems to be very little mitigation/damage control going on.

Patler
03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
No roids here. I lifted weights 3 day a week from eighth grade on up. I was in a weight lifting class my freshman year at LaCrosse when I achieved that number. At the time I was 6'2" 240 with my freshman 15 included. I have never been a specimen by any means, all I am saying is repping 225 more than 19 times is not hard when you are a college football player.

I have read comments from several scouts and personnel people who have said this is the biggest read flag of all-things-Smith since the combine. It suggests not just a guy who is not dedicated to working out, but a guy who apparently never has and who doesn't want to even with $$$$$$$ on the line.

bobblehead
03-13-2009, 01:41 PM

I have read comments from several scouts and personnel people who have said this is the biggest read flag of all-things-Smith since the combine. It suggests not just a guy who is not dedicated to working out, but a guy who apparently never has and who doesn't want to even with $$$$$$$ on the line.

Put him in with Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Reggie White as guys who hated the weight room. I am not as concerned about a tackles bench press as I might be a press corner or some other positions.

And apologies to blue brewer...I didn't mean to imply you were on roids, I was saying it is damn impressive lift for a 19 year old regardless...you were a big committed Kid so not surprising. All I meant was that most people on roids at that time could have done it as well.

BlueBrewer
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Put him in with Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Reggie White as guys who hated the weight room. I am not as concerned about a tackles bench press as I might be a press corner or some other positions.

And apologies to blue brewer...I didn't mean to imply you were on roids, I was saying it is damn impressive lift for a 19 year old regardless...you were a big committed Kid so not surprising. All I meant was that most people on roids at that time could have done it as well.

No apologies neccesary i didn't take it that way, I don't think the actual bench number is a problem but that it shows lack of dedication even when a huge payday is there to help motivate.

Patler
03-13-2009, 02:59 PM

I suspect there are a lot of athletes that don't like aspects of their training, just like many of us have certain aspects of our jobs we don't like. That doesn't mean you don't do it.

Jackson, Walker and White were all immensely strong. White may have been able to avoid the weight room, but I would be surprised if Walker and Jackson did not spend their fair share of time in a weight room whether they liked it or not, especially Walker. I don't know of a single elite sprinter who does not do a lot of weight work, and more upper body weight work than many fans would think.

I don't put a lot of emphasis on the bench numbers from the combine, whether its 25, 30 or 35 reps. But 19 is surprisingly low for a guy of that size. Heck, QBs do better than that! It can't be simply ignored. It is a "flag" that bears investigation.

BlueBrewer
03-13-2009, 03:09 PM

I suspect there are a lot of athletes that don't like aspects of their training, just like many of us have certain aspects of our jobs we don't like. That doesn't mean you don't do it.

Jackson, Walker and White were all immensely strong. White may have been able to avoid the weight room, but I would be surprised if Walker and Jackson did not spend their fair share of time in a weight room whether they liked it or not, especially Walker. I don't know of a single elite sprinter who does not do a lot of weight work, and more upper body weight work than many fans would think.

I don't put a lot of emphasis on the bench numbers from the combine, whether its 25, 30 or 35 reps. But 19 is surprisingly low for a guy of that size. Heck, QBs do better than that! It can't be simply ignored. It is a "flag" that bears investigation.

Walker was notorious for push-up ans sit-up training

KYPack
03-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Herschel just hated weights. He was such a physical freak the coaches allowed him his own training. He would far off-set skipping lifting by doing crazy amounts of sit-ups and push-ups.

The "only 19 reps" bit does make me wonder about Smith. A kicker did 25 reps in the same test.

The thing I like about Smith is.. He's seems to be a great kid. He doesn't really understand what's going on, but has kept level-headed during all this. He has stayed loyal to Keels in spite of the combine and other PR disasters. I admire loyalty and this kid is loyal if not too savvy.

Partial
03-13-2009, 06:09 PM
No.

Fritz
03-14-2009, 09:11 PM
If strength is the kid's calling card then why do you suppose he couldn't lift more?

hoosier
03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Must not have eaten his Wheaties.

Joemailman
03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Should have had his spinach.

http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/bardware/popeye/popeye1.gif

Guiness
03-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Walker was notorious for push-up ans sit-up training

I'd forgotten that - you're right, he was a big calisthenics fan. I remember his 'step down' training routine - do 20 push ups, wait 30 (45?) seconds, do 19, 18 etc and continue down to 1. Sounds easy, but it's nasty.

packrulz
03-16-2009, 05:55 AM
I think Andre Smith is immature, but he has never really hurt his reputation on the field, remember that. Scouts every year get caught up in combine numbers and try so hard to find negatives on a guy they end up talking themselves out of drafting good players. I think Taucher was a 6th round pick because he looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but on the field he's great. Andre has the longest arms of the OT's at the combine, I think he could help the running game a lot, especially on the goal line. Here's Kirwan's view: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f3e4cd&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

mission
03-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I think Andre Smith is immature, but he has never really hurt his reputation on the field, remember that. Scouts every year get caught up in combine numbers and try so hard to find negatives on a guy they end up talking themselves out of drafting good players. I think Taucher was a 6th round pick because he looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but on the field he's great. Andre has the longest arms of the OT's at the combine, I think he could help the running game a lot, especially on the goal line. Here's Kirwan's view: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f3e4cd&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

In that video, it's obvious the guys arms have a lot to do with his bench presses... he looks pretty explosive and on those pass rushing/blocking drills, his hands look great.

I like the one quote "he looks bad at everything he does except run and pass block" lol

I dunno... maybe he'll be a stud ... :?:

Kiwon
03-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Holey, moley, this guy is in need of a "bro."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_bra

(Calm down, tyrone bigguns, take a cold shower)

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2009/03/16/prodayx.jpg

wist43
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Manzeer :)

wist43
03-17-2009, 09:12 AM

As fully functional/dysfunctional adults, we tend to look at these guys and think that they should see life the way a mature 40 year old would...

Have to remember... these guys really are just kids.

Zool
03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0709/male_breasts_0919.jpg

KYPack
03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
As fully functional/dysfunctional adults, we tend to look at these guys and think that they should see life the way a mature 40 year old would...

Have to remember... these guys really are just kids.

Smith especially. He's got this monster body with a shy young kid's head on it. It's almost freakish.

Pack-man
03-18-2009, 02:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-mockdraftvi031709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Guess who Yahoo has the Pack taking in their latest mock?

Pack-man
03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
If strength is the kid's calling card then why do you suppose he couldn't lift more?

He has extremely long arms. Guys with long arms have difficulty benching a lot. Still should have been able to do more than 19.

TigerFang
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Even if this guy comes out and is average, he's probably an upgrade over most of what we have on the line.

Whatever's going on under that shirt is not cool though. Shouldn't his agent have wrapped some tape around his body before he went out there?

SnakeLH2006
03-19-2009, 11:47 PM

Yarg!!! Snake is blind!! Shouldn't that explicit shit go in the Garbage Pail? :shock: :lol:

I'd still take him though if BJ ain't there...Manboobs and all. Thank god Snake never saw a locker room pic of Taucher with his shirt off. No really...thank god.