PDA

View Full Version : draft thoughts 3/12

ND72
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
So even though I'm still in the sectional round of the 2009 boys basketball tournament, I'm starting to get draft fever. So I'm only going to touch a few things I've been reading...

Malcom Jenkins....Not buying it. Not that I don't like him, I just think there are better players at #9 than him. Teddy has proven me wrong (a lot) before, but I don't see him taking a DB in round 1.

B.J. Raji....The more I think or read on him, the more I like the pick. DT's scare me round 1 unless he is a lock sure thing, but everytime I see a high DT, all I think of is Big Daddy Wilkinson.

Brian Orakpo....Not going to lie, this is the guy I really like. I think he is high 1st round talent, but still questionable, especially switching to a 3-4 guy instead of the 4-3. Brian is my guy though.

Aaron Maybin....Also lik ehim as well, but not real sold on him. I think he brings just as much to the table as Orakpo, I just think Orakpo is a better prospect.

Partial
03-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Orakpo or Raji look decent. I really don't care for Raji a great deal because he seems lazy and dumb, but at some point they need another body on the DL that is capable of being plugged in if an injury occurs.

Ideally, we had some depth through FA and add OSackPo. He will be an absolute monster when they send him after the passer play after play.

mission
03-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Orakpo or Raji look decent. I really don't care for Raji a great deal because he seems lazy and dumb, but at some point they need another body on the DL that is capable of being plugged in if an injury occurs.

Ideally, we had some depth through FA and add OSackPo. He will be an absolute monster when they send him after the passer play after play.

What do you mean he *seems* lazy and dumb? Because he has a "dumb face" ? :P

sheepshead
03-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Yes, how often have you seen these guys play?

Partial
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Lazy and dumb: He was academically ineliglbe for a year in school. Not good. These guys are given every opportunity to pass by merely having a brain in the crain with all the "tutors", aka homework doers and test takers, they're given.

You've got to love his size and strength though. I don't like how he guaranteed Mayock that he'd run a certain time in an interview and then didn't hit it, though. Don't guarantee if you can't back it up.

Seen Orakpo play several times. Seen plenty of clips on the youtube as well. He's a beast. Huge, strong as an Ox, ideal size, plenty of production, etc. He could easily be a Sean Merriman when he doesn't have to worry about the run. I absolutely love his pass rush potential.

Fritz
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Okay, I was livid when TT drafted Nick Collins in 2005. "WHO THE F___ IS THAT??" I yelled at La Guardia airport. Luckily, since it was New York, no one paid any attention to me...

So I don't know jack. I read about some guys, and I like 'em. Sometimes they're good (I liked Steve Hutchinson) and sometime they suck (that would be Odell Thurman).

This year, I like BJ Raji. Just cuz they need a big body in the middle. And I like that Jackson guy from LSU just cuz people have said he's the best 3-4 end available.

But that's not much expertise on my part. So I trust in TT.

Freak Out
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing about most of TT's picks...but I am far from a draft expert. Is there another Barry Sanders or Randy Moss out there? Reggie White or LT? I sure as hell haven't seen them (don't really watch anything out of the PAC 10) but TT might have.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Lazy and dumb: He was academically ineliglbe for a year in school. Not good. These guys are given every opportunity to pass by merely having a brain in the crain with all the "tutors", aka homework doers and test takers, they're given.

Well, judging from your posts..you are lazy and dumb.

Raji wasn't academically ineligible because of poor grades, etc. he was ineligible because of a technicality. The dean of his school told him that he needed two classes in the summer to be eligible...when in fact he needed 3.

You are given every opportunity to read, research and actually show some thought process...yet, you continually disappoint.

Lurker64
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Raji wasn't academically ineligible because of poor grades, etc. he was ineligible because of a technicality. The dean of his school told him that he needed two classes in the summer to be eligible...when in fact he needed 3.

Not only that, but this went unnoticed until about 4 days before the season started, when a staffer noticed the oversight and was legally bound to report it. With only a few days before the season, it was impossible for Raji to make up the class that he would have needed.

If any of this is an indictment on Raji it's "not double-checking what the Dean told him", but I think that's entirely understandable.

Also, if you actually listen to him talk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2X92O3OVQ) he certainly comes across as above average for an NFL player in terms of intelligence and articulation. Or, at the very least, much less intelligent and articulate players are going to get drafted in the first round. Compare, for example Michael Crabtree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKfVdJSAx0).

cheesner
03-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Well, judging from your posts..you are lazy and dumb.

You are given every opportunity to read, research and actually show some thought process...yet, you continually disappoint.Classic! :lol:

If true, that is.

I am just too lazy to verify Tyrone's data . . .

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Not only that, but this went unnoticed until about 4 days before the season started, when a staffer noticed the oversight and was legally bound to report it. With only a few days before the season, it was impossible for Raji to make up the class that he would have needed.

If any of this is an indictment on Raji it's "not double-checking what the Dean told him", but I think that's entirely understandable.

Also, if you actually listen to him talk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2X92O3OVQ) he certainly comes across as above average for an NFL player in terms of intelligence and articulation. Or, at the very least, much less intelligent and articulate players are going to get drafted in the first round. Compare, for example Michael Crabtree (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKfVdJSAx0).

The fact is that Raji had problems in the fall...so, he did ok in the spring semester and then needed those 2/3 classes in the summer. If he was really not trying or stupid..he wouldn't have made it through the spring semester.

Dean: If you can't go to the dean or other academic support people and trust them..who can you? I know when i went to the dean..it was gospel.

The Shadow
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay, I was livid when TT drafted Nick Collins in 2005. "WHO THE F___ IS THAT??" I yelled at La Guardia airport. Luckily, since it was New York, no one paid any attention to me...

So I don't know jack. I read about some guys, and I like 'em. Sometimes they're good (I liked Steve Hutchinson) and sometime they suck (that would be Odell Thurman).

This year, I like BJ Raji. Just cuz they need a big body in the middle. And I like that Jackson guy from LSU just cuz people have said he's the best 3-4 end available.

But that's not much expertise on my part. So I trust in TT.

That's just about the way I feel, too.

Partial
03-12-2009, 07:53 PM

The fact is that Raji had problems in the fall...so, he did ok in the spring semester and then needed those 2/3 classes in the summer. If he was really not trying or stupid..he wouldn't have made it through the spring semester.

Dean: If you can't go to the dean or other academic support people and trust them..who can you? I know when i went to the dean..it was gospel.

Now wait wait wait... He still had problems with school and had to make up some classes? Since when do people have to take specific classes to be eligble?

Did he not achieve 12 credits per semester? What is the deal? Clearly the Dean is not going to say "you have to take these classes". We've all been in college and know that is not how it works.

So what is the actual story instead of posting a half-truth? Clearly the dude had problems academically and ignoring that over a technicality is really dumb.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Now wait wait wait... He still had problems with school and had to make up some classes? Since when do people have to take specific classes to be eligble?

Did he not achieve 12 credits per semester? What is the deal? Clearly the Dean is not going to say "you have to take these classes". We've all been in college and know that is not how it works.

So what is the actual story instead of posting a half-truth? Clearly the dude had problems academically and ignoring that over a technicality is really dumb.

Who said anything about making up classes? Who said anything about specific classes. He need X amount of classes.

Clearly you have no idea what happened..and now are trying desparately to not look like the fool.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2008/08/19/bc_lineman_raji_is_a_study_in_determination/

A year ago, Raji thought he was focused. He learned he was wrong before the season opener against Wake Forest when coach Jeff Jagodzinski told him he was academically ineligible - after Raji's academic adviser told him he was eligible.

The problem was not grades; it was the NCAA's "satisfactory progress" rule, which requires student-athletes to maintain a reasonable pace toward graduation. Raji went into last summer thinking he needed to take two courses to meet that requirement. Actually, he needed three, and somehow that information slipped through the academic safety net BC has in place for its athletes.

"At this time last summer, everything was fine," said Raji. "It was on the Monday of the Wake Forest game that the whole thing came up and they told me potentially I might not be able to play in the game. It wasn't a GPA issue, it was a credit issue.

"During the spring semester, I had met with my learning resources adviser, and he told me, 'B.J., I'm pretty sure you need to take three courses in the summer to be eligible in the fall.' We set up another meeting to make sure, but somehow the credits were miscounted."

The anticipation of finishing his BC career on a surge that would carry him into the NFL turned into agony the day before the Wake game when Jagodzinski pulled him off the bus heading to the hotel the team stays in before home games and told him that there was indeed a problem.

"He told me that the school would appeal, but it would take some time and he wasn't sure what would happen," said Raji, who had to go to the hotel on his own and tell his parents who had come up from New Jersey that he wouldn't be playing.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2009/01/24/determined_raji_turning_nfl_heads/?page=2

In '06, the end of the fall semester I did mess up. I didn't finish as strong as I needed to," said Raji. "That kind of put me in a bind coming into the next semester. They put me on an academic schedule, telling me that if I did everything they asked me to do, I'd be ready for the '07 season.

"In the summer I met with the dean of my school and he told me I needed to take two classes to be eligible and in reality I needed three. My coaches were furious. I've never seen them that mad before. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. It was a tough time for me."

Everything points to him not being lazy and dumb....you, on the other hand..well the evidence keeps pointing that you are.

wist43
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
So even though I'm still in the sectional round of the 2009 boys basketball tournament, I'm starting to get draft fever. So I'm only going to touch a few things I've been reading...

Malcom Jenkins....Not buying it. Not that I don't like him, I just think there are better players at #9 than him. Teddy has proven me wrong (a lot) before, but I don't see him taking a DB in round 1.

B.J. Raji....The more I think or read on him, the more I like the pick. DT's scare me round 1 unless he is a lock sure thing, but everytime I see a high DT, all I think of is Big Daddy Wilkinson.

Brian Orakpo....Not going to lie, this is the guy I really like. I think he is high 1st round talent, but still questionable, especially switching to a 3-4 guy instead of the 4-3. Brian is my guy though.

Aaron Maybin....Also lik ehim as well, but not real sold on him. I think he brings just as much to the table as Orakpo, I just think Orakpo is a better prospect.

Haven't looked at Maybin yet, but I agree with you on the other 3...

I proposed Orakpo at 9 as our weakside rush LB a few weeks back, and my fellow rats thru spit balls at me... lol :D

Orakpo certainly looks much more like an rush OLB to me than does either Kampman or Jeremy Thompson.

Partial
03-12-2009, 08:42 PM
How does he need X amount of classes? Since when in college do you need X amounts of credits to be considered a full-time student? You need 12 credits. Period. End of story. Any uni across the country.

The point is the dude either A) didn't take enough credits, or B) failed some classes.

So, let's break this down:

1. Taking less credits than required:

Lazy.

2. Not following up properly on your own to be sure you're eligible:

Dumb and lazy

3. Possibly failed classes:

Dumb

4. Had to push classes into the summer because he couldn't handle the workload:

Dumb and/or lazy, possibly both

You cited he had troubles academically in the fall. Had he done better in fall, would he had to have taken summer classes? Probably not.

"I didn't mess up in fall, but I didn't finish as strong as I needed to". Ok, so he's making an excuse for his performance, the exact thing that I cannot stand.

How does this go against him being dumb and lazy? Any way you slice it, he fucked up and had to make up classes during the summer. Typically, is school divided into three periods with a summer session I'm unaware of? No, your typical good student student athlete is not taking summer classes..

Where there's smoke, there is fire. Clearly at some point this dude either decided to fuck off, is just dumb and fucked off without deciding to, took less credits than required, or failed some classes. Give me a break. Clearly, there were academic irregularities at play here.

Lurker64
03-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd say we break it down like this, pretend you're B.J. Raji:

At some point, your academic advisor tells you "B.J., you need to take 2 classes in the summer in order to be eligible for the next season", and you take 2 classes. What part of that is lazy and/or stupid?

The reason he had to take classes in the summer? It's incredibly common for athletes (football players, volleyball players, wrestlers, etc.) to take a limited schedule of courses during their season, and as such are not on the same pace to graduate as a normal student. To deal with this, they usually make up for it with extra classes during their offseason, frequently during academic periods where most students don't take classes.

The guy didn't take enough classes because he was given some bad information, and he needed to take extra classes because he didn't take enough classes one season or maybe finished with a couple of incompletes or even failed a class or two. This happens to a ton of normal students who have less on their plate, and a lot of them learn from their mistakes and shape up and go on to accomplish great things.

I think you're putting way, way too much emphasis on one mistake the guy made. By all accounts, the guy showed a lot of determination and overall moxie in how he responded to adversity here. Everything I heard out of the BC coaches pointed to Raji being a good high character guy.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Partial fails to understand the difference between university standards and NCAA standards.

Lazy and dumb is no way to go thru life.

Partial
03-12-2009, 09:14 PM
You're making an assumption. They only thing we know is that in one year of school, even with taking two summer classes, he did not hit 24 credits. That's a little bit pathetic. I've failed more than my fair share of classes but never dipped below 12 in a semester.

What are these standards, Ty? He is probably required to be a full time student with a 2.0, and thats it.

What I know is this. He is only allowed to spend 20 hours a week doing any sort of athletic related activity, be in lifting weights, in the film room, whatever. I work 30 hours a week in school, and sure as shit take more than 12 credits a semester.

And, why is he not double checking what his advisors are saying? Does he not have a curriculum sheet/pdf of his major? He should know exactly what is required. Again, that overall lack of preparedness speaks volumes. I certainly double check everything my advisor says, and I'd imagine most people do, and most people have a lot less on the line.

So, what does that say?

Tyrone Bigguns
03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd say we break it down like this, pretend you're B.J. Raji:

At some point, your academic advisor tells you "B.J., you need to take 2 classes in the summer in order to be eligible for the next season", and you take 2 classes. What part of that is lazy and/or stupid?

The reason he had to take classes in the summer? It's incredibly common for athletes (football players, volleyball players, wrestlers, etc.) to take a limited schedule of courses during their season, and as such are not on the same pace to graduate as a normal student. To deal with this, they usually make up for it with extra classes during their offseason, frequently during academic periods where most students don't take classes.

The guy didn't take enough classes because he was given some bad information, and he needed to take extra classes because he didn't take enough classes one season or maybe finished with a couple of incompletes or even failed a class or two. This happens to a ton of normal students who have less on their plate, and a lot of them learn from their mistakes and shape up and go on to accomplish great things.

I think you're putting way, way too much emphasis on one mistake the guy made. By all accounts, the guy showed a lot of determination and overall moxie in how he responded to adversity here. Everything I heard out of the BC coaches pointed to Raji being a good high character guy.

Raji is definitely a loser. The fact that he stayed at BC after this screwup is just more proof he is dumb and lazy. Completing coursework while not being able to play..dumb and lazy.

Only needing one course credit last fall in order to graduate...dumb and lazy.

Bossman641
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
How does this go against him being dumb and lazy? Any way you slice it, he fucked up and had to make up classes during the summer. Typically, is school divided into three periods with a summer session I'm unaware of? No, your typical good student student athlete is not taking summer classes.

I'm sorry Partial but you are dead wrong here. The majority of athletes, big time ones at least, stay at school over the summer and take classes because they take fewer classes during their seasons. They also like to hang around campus lifting, practicting, and just bonding with teammates.

That's been my experience at least from 2 summers at school. And no I didn't stay during the summer because I'm a dumb lazy idiot. I switched from mechnical engineering to accounting and had to stay to take classes to catch up.

Partial
03-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I still hold him accountable. Too many people are baby these guys throughout life, and if he had a brain in his body he'd have double checked his business himself instead of relying on his handlers to do so.

Packers4Ever
03-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Lazy can be tolerated up to a point, but dumb is absolutely
out of the question !! :lol:

mission
03-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Not to mention Boston College isn't exactly a low-level education ... BC aint UW-M...

Partial
03-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Are you kidding me? These athletes are having their "tutors" do their homework, prepare them for tests with sample tests, etc. You think this is just happening at FSU? Get real. This happens everywhere and is common.

I have no idea what he's going to school for and can't seem to find it, but I'd bet he has one of your classic football player majors like communications or something BS like that.

packrulz
03-13-2009, 05:51 AM
I haven't ruled out Andre Smith at #9, yes, he's immature and shot his mouth off, but put him on the field and he's a mauler with a nasty demeanor and competitive fire you love to see. He just needs a good coach to crack the whip. Good tackles are hard to find, Kirwan has TT taking Smith in his new mock. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f330d5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Fritz
03-13-2009, 05:55 AM

Lazy can be tolerated up to a point, but dumb is absolutely
out of the question !! :lol:

I have never seen such an intense breakdown of whether someone is "lazy" or "dumb" before. I like that people (I will not take sides though I know with whom I agree) are actually trying to bring real information to bear on the argument, instead of just throwing adjectives around.

Fred's Slacks
03-13-2009, 06:24 AM
I haven't ruled out Andre Smith at #9, yes, he's immature and shot his mouth off, but put him on the field and he's a mauler with a nasty demeanor and competitive fire you love to see. He just needs a good coach to crack the whip. Good tackles are hard to find, Kirwan has TT taking Smith in his new mock. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f330d5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think this sentence may be the problem. I'm not to impressed with what these coaches have done with the talent they've been given on the OL. Hopefully its due to all the shifting around they've done. If they cut that out maybe it will get better but so far I'm not too impressed with Campen as the OL coach.

ND72
03-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I was a student athlete in college, and I LOVED taking summer classes. In fact, I usually took my harder classes in the summer, just so I could focus and work just on those classes.

cpk1994
03-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Dean: If you can't go to the dean or other academic support people and trust them..who can you? I know when i went to the dean..it was gospel.Or you got Double Secret Probation! :lol:

ThunderDan
03-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I was a student athlete in college, and I LOVED taking summer classes. In fact, I usually took my harder classes in the summer, just so I could focus and work just on those classes.

Bingo, No way in hell was I taking Physical Chemistry Lab anytime but the summer. It was 10 hours a week in the lab and another 4-8 to draft reports.

wist43
03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Most of us have Orakpo or Raji at the top of our wish list... so, we can cross them off... TT isn't even looking at them I'm sure :D

Does Justin Harrell have an injury prone brother???

The pick will probably be a QB.

Partial
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM

And thats fine, but the difference is you had A) a real major and B) you weren't a guy who was going to go pro and the stud on a big D1 campus with handlers, "tutors", and the works. I had a friend who was in a class with Lee Evans at Madison. He showed up only for the exams, and rumor has it he got an A. Coincidence? I think not.

The point that I'm making is this guy obviously did the bare minimum, or failed some classes. One of the two. Either way, It's a red flag for me. If school was the least bit important to this guy, he would have followed up with his advisors and made sure he was good to play if there was any question at all. That is what an AJ Hawk would do, you can be rest assured of that.

I don't like how on the draft show he told Mayock "I'm going to run below this, wait and see", and then he did not on either of his runs.

To me, something doesn't sit well about this guy. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted him because quite frankly we have a massive gaping wound on the DL and we need bodies to plug it. However, I think I'd prefer Orakpo and to see the DL fortified with someone else.

swede
03-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Raji looked like a beast in the vids they showed during the combine. He just owned some poor slob (slobs, maybe) from workouts before the North-South Bowl over and over again. He got his pads under theirs, destroyed their leverage, and walked their butt wherever he wanted to go.

With that in mind I was ready to really like the kid, but he gave me the creeps. I understand why anybody would have character concerns about Raji. He's a smart ass. He is terribly cocky about his ability, and his running mouth would likely produce a lot of bulletin board material for opposing teams.

If I'm TT I go to Jagodzinsky and ask about him. If Jags and his position coaches say, "Look, I know he comes off as cocky but he's coachable and no one around here works harder during practice..." then we know that we're hoping this kid drops to pick number 9.

Freak Out
03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Raji looked like a beast in the vids they showed during the combine. He just owned some poor slob (slobs, maybe) from workouts before the North-South Bowl over and over again. He got his pads under theirs, destroyed their leverage, and walked their butt wherever he wanted to go.

With that in mind I was ready to really like the kid, but he gave me the creeps. I understand why anybody would have character concerns about Raji. He's a smart ass. He is terribly cocky about his ability, and his running mouth would likely produce a lot of bulletin board material for opposing teams.

If I'm TT I go to Jagodzinsky and ask about him. If Jags and his position coaches say, "Look, I know he comes off as cocky but he's coachable and no one around here works harder during practice..." then we know that we're hoping this kid drops to pick number 9.

Bummer is it's starting to look like both he and Osacko or whatever the hell his name is will be gone when we pick....so maybe we do end up taking one of the tackles left on the board. Not a bad thing for sure but a long way off from a mauling DT.

ND72
03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
And thats fine, but the difference is you had A) a real major

:shock: could you come to my school, and tell my kids that a Physical Education Major is a real major? :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
And thats fine, but the difference is you had A) a real major

:shock: could you come to my school, and tell my kids that a Physical Education Major is a real major? :lol:

Another instance where sucking up goes horribly wrong.

TheCheese
03-14-2009, 04:08 AM
My ideal situation for us on draft day would be to trade down to the 16-24 area and select Larry English or Clint Sintim as OLB. English is my favorite prospect for OLB this year, even though I like Orakpo and Brown, I would seriously draft English over them. Hes a beast who has a flurry of pass rush moves and a non stop motor. Also if you guys have seen him play, he plays with a nasty streak that I love to see in D players. And hes the perfect example of a player user proper technique rather than just relying on physical attributes.

He didn't run a great 40 time at the combine running a 4.82 but he did have a 36 inch vertical jump which is the most important measurement when it comes to pass rushers.

His biggest weakness is lack of experience in space, basically pass coverage. But if Capers takes care of our OLBs in coverage like Lebeau does with Lamar Woodley and James Harrison we will be just fine.

Again I think trading down in round 1 is the right move. There is just so much more value. Let the other teams take the Orakpos, Browns, and Maybins and letting the Englishs, Sintims, Barwins fall right into our draft spot.

Iron Mike
03-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Lazy and dumb is no way to go thru life.

I thought that fat, drunk and stupid was no way to go through life.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/broonus/flounder.gif