PDA

View Full Version : What Is an "LS"?

Fritz
03-13-2009, 05:59 AM
I was watching the ACC tourney last night, and on the trailer across the bottom of the TV screen was the announcement that the "Cardinals have signed LS Mike So-and-So..."

Okay, I thought - Cardinals, signing. That means professional sports, that means it's either the St. Louis baseball Cardinals or the Arizona football Cardinals.

But what's an "LS"? I don't know. In baseball I can't think of any position with those letters. Nor can I in football - what, "left safety"? "Long Snapper"?

Anybody know?

sepporepi
03-13-2009, 06:19 AM
"Long Snapper" Yes!

hoosier
03-13-2009, 07:41 AM
LS = long snapper. In other words, Mike So-and-so is a Big Fish. :lol:

Fritz
03-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Okay. Thanks. I guess the game has become so specialized that there's an abreviation for every single position. It's not just linebacker - lb - it's ROLB or LILB ow whatever.

Wow. Does this mean I'm getting old?

Gunakor
03-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Okay. Thanks. I guess the game has become so specialized that there's an abreviation for every single position. It's not just linebacker - lb - it's ROLB or LILB ow whatever.

Green Bay ran a 3-4 for awhile back in the 80's, and they used the same abbreviations for the LB positions way back then as well. It's nothing new, it's just been 20 years since we Packer fans have seen them regularly.

Chryst, now I feel old...

Fritz
03-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Green Bay ran a 3-4 for awhile back in the 80's, and they used the same abbreviations for the LB positions way back then as well. It's nothing new, it's just been 20 years since we Packer fans have seen them regularly.

So it means I am getting old, right? Wills, elephants, Sams, Mikes....sigh.

Doh!

Patler
03-13-2009, 11:12 AM

So it means I am getting old, right? Wills, elephants, Sams, Mikes....sigh.

Doh!

Whatever happened to the HB/DBs? The FB/LBs? The C/LBs?

You are not truly old unless you can lament the fact that a player now has only one designation instead of two, one on offense and one on defense!