PDA

View Full Version : Browns WR Stallworth hits, kills Fla. pedestrian

Jimx29
03-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Yikes....
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns

By DAVID FISCHER, Associated Press Writer 9 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP)—Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth hit and killed a pedestrian with his Bentley on Saturday morning on a busy causeway linking Miami and Miami Beach, police said.

Stallworth was headed toward the beach when he hit a 49-year-old man around 7 a.m., said Miami Beach police spokesman Juan Sanchez. The unidentified pedestrian was taken to a nearby trauma center, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later. He was near a crosswalk but it’s not clear if he was crossing legally.

Stallworth, 28, was cooperating and no charges have been filed, Sanchez said. Officers drew blood to test for drugs or alcohol, which is routine, but police said it was too early to tell if Stallworth was impaired or violating traffic laws. Police would not say where he was coming from or where he was headed.

Miami-Dade County property records show Stallworth owns two condos in a building on Biscayne Boulevard in Miami not far from the causeway and another condo in a different building in Miami.

A message seeking comment was left on the voicemail of his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

The Browns said in a statement they were aware of what happened.

“We understand the seriousness of this situation, but will not have any further comment at this time as this is an ongoing investigation,” the team said.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns as a free agent before last season but hardly played because he was hurt. He was due a $4.75 million signing bonus Friday.

Stallworth, who previously played for New England, Philadelphia and New Orleans, finished last season with just 17 catches for 170 yards. He was slowed all season by a nagging hamstring injury and made just seven starts for the Browns.

Stallworth had his best season with the Saints in 2005, when he made a career-high 70 receptions for 945 yards and seven touchdowns. He was drafted in the first round (No. 13 overall) by the Saints in 2002. Stallworth played his college ball at Tennessee.

Bretsky
03-14-2009, 04:02 PM
sad story

Numb.........love your sig

KYPack
03-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Was he out that late or up that early?

God, I really hope he was sober. I've heard Stallworth is a total asshole, but I hope this was a tragic accident

Rastak
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Was he out that late or up that early?

God, I really hope he was sober. I've heard Stallworth is a total asshole, but I hope this was a tragic accident

Well KY, it was a very good question you posed.

Here's PFT.com's latest rumor....

PROSECUTORS POISED TO CHARGE STALLWORTH WITH DUI
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 6:47 p.m.
As authorities in South Florida wait for the results of a blood draw performed on Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth, a source with knowledge of the investigation tells us that prosecutors are preparing an indictment for DUI manslaughter, under the assumption that the results will show that Stallworth’s blood alcohol content exceeded the legal limit of 0.08 percent when he collided with a pedestrian, who later died.

Per the source, Stallworth admitted to drinking at least four Patrons and two Margaritas. A separate source called that information “basically right,” but added that Stallworth contends he had his last drink at midnight. The incident occurred after 7:00 a.m. local time.

We’re also told that Stallworth claimed in his statement to police that he saw the man crossing the street from a distance, and flashed the high beams and honked the horn of the Bentley he was driving. Apparently, there’s an issue as to whether Stallworth could have taken evasive action because of a barrier along the median.

We’re told that Stallworth is badly shaken by the news that the pedestrian had died.

And, frankly, he should be. Apart from the fact that he was involved in an accident that claimed a man’s life, Stallworth could be facing serious criminal liability, if the pending test reveals an impermissibly high concentration of alcohol in his blood.

KYPack
03-14-2009, 08:43 PM
6 tequilas, but he drank his last one at midnight?

Yeah, bullshit.

Lock his fuckin' ass up.

What does he mean, he flashed his lights? Was the guy supposed to evaporate or something?

Man, you gotta be careful walking or driving with all these goofy pro football players racing around.

Rastak
03-14-2009, 08:51 PM
6 tequilas, but he drank his last one at midnight?

Yeah, bullshit.

Lock his fuckin' ass up.

What does he mean, he flashed his lights? Was the guy supposed to evaporate or something?

Man, you gotta be careful walking or driving with all these goofy pro football players racing around.

At 7:00am you'd THINK it was safe......wtf? Did get ultra hammered, sleep a couple hours and think he was fine? Did the dude sleep at all?

Aye yi yi.

Fritz
03-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Weird...for some reason, it seems like this stuff is supposed to happen at 3:00 a.m., not 7:00 a.m.

SnakeLH2006
03-15-2009, 12:02 AM
sad story

Snake gave first props over a week ago. With all the hustle and bustle with TT in FA you must have missed it. Easy to happen in TT's FA media frenzy as of late. :lol: :roll:

So who's the bigger moron. Big Al H. or Donte?

Big Al drove like a moron over 100 mph swerving some poor college kid/grad off the road who now is a gimp for life, while "sober"...or Dante for getting so wasted the night before, he's still wasted at 7 am or even worse got wasted at breakfast then drove and killed some dude?

Easily +1 for Dante...He killed that poor dude. What a nutjob.

Snake used to open up his frosh days on campus with an occasional wake-n-bake and CocoPuffs with a beer instead of milk (sounded tasty at the time)...or a wake-n-beer as a still drunk fraternity buddy put a cold beer on your cheek to wake up ya up. (College was damn fun, yo...lol). Yet I could walk to class and spend half the day playing Sheepshead in the commons skipping class if I chose to (never killed NE1, yet paid half my tuition on cards as Snake is a Sheeps master). Worked out well as a 3.82 cumulative GPA served Snake well, yet I NEVER drove over anyone trying to get to the beach at 7am WASTED.

What a dumbass. Esp. with all the money/scrutiny to pull that shit. Can't these guys get their butler to drive for them? How many celebs get pointless DUI's, much less maim, kill peeps cuz they can't drive or choose to drive wasted?

Snake's Take:

Never, EVER, let a pro athlete drive. EVER.... :evil: Although Snake enjoyed Brettie pulling in with a dirty ass 4x4 with a winch on the front on pregame. That's just good stuff though. Fuck the Escalades, Beamers, Porches...You know he was just pulling some trees, deer, beaver dams around/apart, etc. with that fucking winch 2 hours before the game hauling ass like a redneck in the woods somewhere.

Snake wouldn't trust Brett driving either. Snake had/has a few crazy redneck buddies where all it takes is seeing a squirrel to run over or deer on the side of the road, and then the unavoidable "hold on" while you barrel over the fenceline wondering WTF as your buddy unloads 5 rounds out his shotty with his deer shining lite going apeshit.

Sorry...Snake went OT, but that's some good stuff to tell the grandkids one day about rednecks. :lol: :shock:

mission
03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
sad story

Snake gave first props over a week ago. With all the hustle and bustle with TT in FA you must have missed it. Easy to happen in TT's FA media frenzy as of late. :lol: :roll:

So who's the bigger moron. Big Al H. or Donte?

Big Al drove like a moron over 100 mph swerving some poor college kid/grad off the road who now is a gimp for life, while "sober"...or Dante for getting so wasted the night before, he's still wasted at 7 am or even worse got wasted at breakfast then drove and killed some dude?

Easily +1 for Dante...He killed that poor dude. What a nutjob.

Snake used to open up his frosh days on campus with an occasional wake-n-bake and CocoPuffs with a beer instead of milk (sounded tasty at the time)...or a wake-n-beer as a still drunk fraternity buddy put a cold beer on your cheek to wake up ya up. (College was damn fun, yo...lol). Yet I could walk to class and spend half the day playing Sheepshead in the commons skipping class if I chose to (never killed NE1, yet paid half my tuition on cards as Snake is a Sheeps master). Worked out well as a 3.82 cumulative GPA served Snake well, yet I NEVER drove over anyone trying to get to the beach at 7am WASTED.

What a dumbass. Esp. with all the money/scrutiny to pull that shit. Can't these guys get their butler to drive for them? How many celebs get pointless DUI's, much less maim, kill peeps cuz they can't drive or choose to drive wasted?

Snake's Take:

Never, EVER, let a pro athlete drive. EVER.... :evil: Although Snake enjoyed Brettie pulling in with a dirty ass 4x4 with a winch on the front on pregame. That's just good stuff though. Fuck the Escalades, Beamers, Porches...You know he was just pulling some trees, deer, beaver dams around/apart, etc. with that fucking winch 2 hours before the game hauling ass like a redneck in the woods somewhere.

Snake wouldn't trust Brett driving either. Snake had/has a few crazy redneck buddies where all it takes is seeing a squirrel to run over or deer on the side of the road, and then the unavoidable "hold on" while you barrel over the fenceline wondering WTF as your buddy unloads 5 rounds out his shotty with his deer shining lite going apeshit.

Sorry...Snake went OT, but that's some good stuff to tell the grandkids one day about rednecks. :lol: :shock:

My redneck friends (read: Offensive Linemen) in high school used to drive down one-way highways in wisconsin (69) in the passing/opposite lane on the way to madison and see how many people they could run off the road. to this day, with all the crazy shit ive involved myself in, i dont think ive ever been that scared :lol:

Rastak
03-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Yikes.....a tidbit from pft.com that they got from a Miami newspaper....

The only new information of note in the latest article is that a witness claims that the incident occurred after Stallworth tried to beat a red light by going around a vehicle that already had stopped at the light. If that’s the case, Stallworth might be in big trouble even if is blood alcohol content was below the legal limit.

Let's dodge a car slowing down, make the light and kill somebody. I sure hope that isn't how it went down.

red
03-15-2009, 08:51 PM

The only new information of note in the latest article is that a witness claims that the incident occurred after Stallworth tried to beat a red light by going around a vehicle that already had stopped at the light. If that’s the case, Stallworth might be in big trouble even if is blood alcohol content was below the legal limit.

Let's dodge a car slowing down, make the light and kill somebody. I sure hope that isn't how it went down.

wow

could that be manslaughter then?

edit: i think that could be 1st or 2nd degree involuntary manslaughter

heres a definition

Involuntary Manslaughter

Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of another human being without intent. The absence of the intent element is the essential difference between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. Also in most states, involuntary manslaughter does not result from a heat of passion but from an improper use of reasonable care or skill while in the commission of a lawful act or while in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony.

Generally there are two types of involuntary manslaughter: (1) criminal-negligence manslaughter; and (2) unlawful-act manslaughter. The first occurs when death results from a high degree of Negligence or recklessness, and the second occurs when death is caused by one who commits or attempts to commit an unlawful act, usually a misdemeanor.

Rastak
03-15-2009, 08:58 PM

wow

could that be manslaughter then?

If he we was drunk it would for sure. If not, a case could be made. On the radio they were saying this is a very busy intersection. I do have to ask, how was the dude that far out to get hit when the light just changed. Was he walking against the light?

MJZiggy
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Did he start walking when the other car slowed down to stop?

Joemailman
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/951343.html

A witness at the scene told The Miami Herald that Reyes appeared to have died at the scene. He also said it seemed to him that Stallworth had tried to beat the red light by going around a vehicle that had already stopped at the light.

If the vehicle in front of Stallworth had already stopped, the light may have been red before Stallworth started to go through the intersection. If that's the case, the pedestrian may have had the right of way.

SkinBasket
03-15-2009, 09:21 PM

I call it ablacking. Ghetto black people see the need to use the turn lane at all red lights to "jump ahead" of everyone else waiting at the light. This usually means they pull their big ass Buick up along side you, try to jump the light, and swerve in front of you before they hit a parked car then proceed to go 5 under the speed limit.

Dante decided to forgo those steps and just drive through the light, another common occurrence when you drive in an area where the majority of drivers are black. I can't count on my hands the number of times I've had black drivers give me the "what's up nigga?" look and gestures because I've had the audacity to stop at red lights in front of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a majority of bad drivers may not be black, but a majority of black drivers I've seen are bad drivers. That's not racism, it's observation. Poor black people are shitty drivers. I'm not going to judge why or how, but I'm comfortable with that statement.

Partial
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
That's really racist. I'm assuming you've never done that, either.

Joemailman
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: a majority of bad drivers may not be black, but a majority of black drivers I've seen are bad drivers. That's not racism, it's observation. Poor black people are shitty drivers. I'm not going to judge why or how, but I'm comfortable with that statement.

What about multi-millionaire black drivers driving Bentleys?

SkinBasket
03-15-2009, 09:45 PM

You still quaking from when that black guy pretended to hold up your pizza joint and you pissed yourself and took out your wallet and fell on the floor crying for your mom because you're dead afraid of negros? You're the fucking racist for not acknowledging the obvious out of fear of political correctness.

SkinBasket
03-15-2009, 09:46 PM

What about multi-millionaire black drivers driving Bentleys?

What car you drive don't change who you are.

Partial
03-15-2009, 10:22 PM

You still quaking from when that black guy pretended to hold up your pizza joint and you pissed yourself and took out your wallet and fell on the floor crying for your mom because you're dead afraid of negros? You're the fucking racist for not acknowledging the obvious out of fear of political correctness.

Wrong. Clearly, you're a racist. I've seen plenty of people of all races do this. Hell, I've done it at least 100 times. Are you saying you've never done this? I find that very difficult to swallow. AKA, you're full of shit, and a hypocrite at that.

KYPack
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
The Miami Herald has a video from the scene. Not much on there, but it shows Stallworth getting the old "sobriety quiz". Hard to say, but I vote "Out that late".

He was scheduled to receive a $4.75 million signing bonus Friday.

I'd be shocked if they don't cut his ass instead.

Joemailman
03-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Was the bonus due this past Friday or next Friday? I was thinking he may have gotten the bonus and was out celebrating Friday night.

red
03-16-2009, 12:08 AM
he got the bonus this last friday

GrnBay007
03-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Sad story. His irresponsible behavior will affect the lives of many....the victims family as well as his own family, whether he was drinking or not.

I don't know if it's just me not remembering correctly or is there way more professional athletes getting in trouble with the law and acting like complete jackasses then ever before? I think the later is true. It's too bad because professional athletes used to be (and should be) people our youth can look up to.

Aaron12odgers
03-16-2009, 02:50 AM

Wrong. Clearly, you're a racist. I've seen plenty of people of all races do this. Hell, I've done it at least 100 times. Are you saying you've never done this? I find that very difficult to swallow. AKA, you're full of shit, and a hypocrite at that.

Agreed.

red
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM
his blood alcohol content was .12

.04 over the legal limit

they are going to charge him with a DUI manslaughter, which carries a maximum of 15 years

Rastak
03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

.04 over the legal limit

they are going to charge him with a DUI manslaughter, which carries a maximum of 15 years

If the dude jumped out in front of him perhaps he'd have a 10% chance.....but if it's true he dodged around slowing cars to beat a red light he's done for.

Very sad story all the way around.

Can you imagine getting a 5 mil check and a couple weeks later looking at 15 years in the can for murder?

Hire an f'ing driver you moron.

5 friggen mil.

MJZiggy
03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Five mil should almost cover the lawyer fees...

red
03-19-2009, 09:25 PM

.04 over the legal limit

If the dude jumped out in front of him perhaps he'd have a 10% chance.....but if it's true he dodged around slowing cars to beat a red light he's done for.

Very sad story all the way around.

Can you imagine getting a 5 mil check and a couple weeks later looking at 15 years in the can for murder?

Hire an f'ing driver you moron.

5 friggen mil.

not even a couple weeks after getting the bonus. it was that day, or 2 days before

i tghink he got his bonus friday. and he was out drinking all night saturday (probably celebrating the money), then he runs over this poor guy at 7 sunday morning

it was somewhere under 48 hours after he got the money

if he somehow gets off the hook, i'll shit myself. he'll probably get 30 days probation

SnakeLH2006
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM

That explains everything Partial as I'm sure many here would apologize knowing you've been held up 100 times at gunpoint. That might contribute to your random ass rants as I minored in Psych. Sorry bro to hear that. Leave Partial alone y'all, ya hear. Snake says so! :shock: :evil: :lol:

Fritz
03-20-2009, 07:24 AM
The effin' insanity...you just cashed this huge, huge, huge check - but you didn't hire a driver to squire you around while you went out and played bad-ass athlete at the club?

As for whether it's gotten worse over the years, hard to say. One is tempted to think so; however, it may be that the media doesn't cover for guys the way they used to. Mickey Mantle, for example, was an alcoholic who loved the NY night life - and no, he didn't get into trouble with the law, but it is possible that not Mickey but perhaps many, many famous athletes got covered for.

For the Detroit Tigers back in the day, Stormin' Norman Cash was a huge partier. You think those guys - him or anyone else - never did stuff that broke the law?

And how about Max McGee?

I wonder if maybe we live in more of a "gotcha" society now. But I'm not sure. It'd be an interesting Master's thesis to write.

Kiwon
03-20-2009, 07:55 AM
I liked the guy in college at Tennessee. I knew he'd be a solid pro. He's done okay so far.

Now this crap.

It's just like another former Tennessee player, now Rams DE, Leonard Little, who killed a lady driving drunk on his 25th birthday. He avoided serious jail time on that even though he had another DUI later on.

I don't care who it is, superstar or scrub, throw his rear end in jail. Like a fool, he drove drunk and he killed somebody. It's time for law enforcement and prosecutors to make examples out of pro athletes that willfully break the law.

Leonard Little should have spent years in jail. I still don't know how he got off with such a light sentence.

MJZiggy
03-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I wonder if maybe we live in more of a "gotcha" society now. But I'm not sure. It'd be an interesting Master's thesis to write.

You're right, that could be...hmmm....

red
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
this is all official

PFT is saying that he will be arrested tomorrow and charged with DUI manslaughter in the next few weeks

GrnBay007
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Goes to show you how one split second......one bad decision, can change your life forever.

Unfortunate and sad for everyone involved.

Rastak
04-02-2009, 06:55 AM
It will be interesting to see what the facts are. Some of what I've gathered seems to indicate the guy was running across the street (not in a crosswalk) trying to catch a bus. I'd be interested to see how that played into it. The first story of Stallworth dodging cars to beat a light would have been curtains for him. If that didn't happen, if the guy ran out in front of his car illegally I'd be slightly more sympathetic. It wouldn't exonerate Stallworth but ......

KYPack
04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
It will be interesting to see what the facts are. Some of what I've gathered seems to indicate the guy was running across the street (not in a crosswalk) trying to catch a bus. I'd be interested to see how that played into it. The first story of Stallworth dodging cars to beat a light would have been curtains for him. If that didn't happen, if the guy ran out in front of his car illegally I'd be slightly more sympathetic. It wouldn't exonerate Stallworth but ......

It does seem the guy was cutting across the street to get the bus. Looks like everybody was doing something wrong. The victim was way out of the crosswalk. Stallworth was moving pretty fast and had a bad BAC. Usually the BAC trumps everything else. Wonder how this will play out.

red
04-02-2009, 09:49 AM
the thing that gets me is that stallworth said he flashed his lights at the guy to get him to move.

so he saw him, had time to flash him, which means he clearly saw him and probably had time to avoid him or stop. but instead he flashed the high beams and kept going right at him

and didn't he run a red light?

Gunakor
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
He was legally drunk. That trumps everything else that happened. If you are driving drunk, and you get into an accident or hit a pedestrian, it's your fault. Even if it isn't, it is.

Guiness
04-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Bingo Gunakor

If you're DUI, it doesn't much matter what else was going on, you're in the wrong. I don't see how he gets away with anything less than vehicle manslaughter.

There are a few other situations like that (although less severe). Following too closely is one - I got into an accident where the guy in front of me stopped suddenly on the highway (to turn into a @#$ yard sale). He threw on the binders, no blinker. I happened to be accelerating to pass him, and hit him because by the time I realized he was stopping, it was too late. I tried to swerve around him, but he started his turn, and turned in front of me. I told the cop he had no blinker, and we even tested it (it didn't work) but I rear ended him, so nothing else mattered, I was charged.

Dylan McKay
04-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Agreed.

double agree