PDA

View Full Version : Julian Peterson to the Lions

PackerPro42
03-16-2009, 06:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3985012

red
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3985012

lions are being considered to be even more of a laughing stock then they already were because of this move

they traded a good young player and a draft pick for an older guy that was going to be cut

KYPack
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
The new front office crew are Like fat Matt Millen's illegitimate sons.

That one is like Shermies' R Kal Truluck deal.

Zool
03-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Is Redding the good young player? He's 28 and has a ridiculous contract. I think Detroit is just clearing $ with this move and adding an LB to the mix who can rush the passer.

Peterson is way overpaid too but at least he puts up some stats.

Fritz
03-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Redding was like Detroit's version of Cullen Jenkins - a slightly late bloomer who was moved around (except he was moved from outside to inside), had one really nice year, got a good contract, then didn't play up to it.

I don't know the cap implications for Peterson, but as someone pointed out in Detroit, if the Lions had waited for Peterson to be cut, would they have been able to sign the guy? By trading, they know they've got him.

I don't know what to think of it all.

KYPack
03-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Redding was like Detroit's version of Cullen Jenkins - a slightly late bloomer who was moved around (except he was moved from outside to inside), had one really nice year, got a good contract, then didn't play up to it.

I don't know the cap implications for Peterson, but as someone pointed out in Detroit, if the Lions had waited for Peterson to be cut, would they have been able to sign the guy? By trading, they know they've got him.

When Peterson was cut, they'd get the first crack. Cuts pass thru their conferences in order of the team's finish, just like the draft. Lions 0-16 NFC. They'd get first shot at a Seattle roster cut.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee of the Lions look Millen-like so far.

retailguy
03-17-2009, 07:56 AM

When Peterson was cut, they'd get the first crack. Cuts pass thru their conferences in order of the team's finish, just like the draft. Lions 0-16 NFC. They'd get first shot at a Seattle roster cut.

This time of the year Peterson would have immediately become a free agent and able to sign with anybody. Waivers for veterans only happen during the season after the trade deadline.

If the Lions wanted him, and they did, this was the only "sure" way to get him.

KYPack
03-17-2009, 08:56 AM

This time of the year Peterson would have immediately become a free agent and able to sign with anybody. Waivers for veterans only happen during the season after the trade deadline.

Yeah, yer right RG. The rules are different in off-season.

I still think it would be worth the gamble and have Redding AND Peterson. A waiver deal would allow you to renegotiate Peterson's bloated contract. The was a real "Lion deal".

Guiness
03-17-2009, 12:08 PM
As pointed out, Redding has a pretty big contract. Maybe they were thinking of cutting him, and this was just a case of teams exchanging guys they didn't want?

Freak Out
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
This move could very well put Detoilet in the SB. :lol:

retailguy
03-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Yeah, yer right RG. The rules are different in off-season.

I still think it would be worth the gamble and have Redding AND Peterson. A waiver deal would allow you to renegotiate Peterson's bloated contract. The was a real "Lion deal".

yeah, well, I wasn't "defending" the Lions, only reporting... :)

I think they wanted rid of Redding. After all they gave up a pick too. I don't think Redding was in their plans but I suppose they needed to "justify" getting something for him. But, that pick was important for Detroit. They need any kind of qualified body they can get....

Waldo
03-17-2009, 02:07 PM

I didn't think vested veterans passed through waivers, immediately becoming UFA's when cut.

bigcoz75
03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
The biggest question for me is how the addition of Redding affects the Seahawks draft. Does that lower the chance that they draft Raji leaving one less suitor between him and the Pack?

mission
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
The biggest question for me is how the addition of Redding affects the Seahawks draft. Does that lower the chance that they draft Raji leaving one less suitor between him and the Pack?

Great question and I'm surprised no one else brought it up. You have to think they have a little bit too much money dedicated to their DL now between the Cole signing and Redding getting (what?) like 7mil a year... it'd be hard to justify Top 10 money for another DL but who knows. You'd think this sits them right in the Crabtree wheelhouse, having him learn from TJ before the old man gets even older.

I think this move definitely works in our favor assuming we can keep Peterson off of A-Rod :lol:

Rastak
03-17-2009, 07:51 PM

I didn't think vested veterans passed through waivers, immediately becoming UFA's when cut.

Yup, and faced with the prospect of 31 teams to try and join, where would Detroit rank? They traded because it was unlikely they get him if they don't.

Rastak
03-17-2009, 07:52 PM

BPA....not really, plus NFL radio was saying he really should move back to end.

mission
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM

BPA....not really, plus NFL radio was saying he really should move back to end.

I don't think BPA is really that clear at that spot and it can definitely be influenced by two new DL acquisitions. Not to mention TT no longer works in Seattle, yanno... ? :D

KYPack
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Not exactly earth shattering news, but Mike Montgomery is a Packer once again. A 2 year contract was inked, no financial aspects of the deal were disclosed. He will report to the team’s off-season program next Monday.

Montgomery, 6 feet 5 inches and 275 pounds, has been rumored to be adding weight for the new job, DE in a 3-4 defense. Mike becomes the top backup at end. Starters Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly are considerably heavier than the lean Montgomery . Although the Packers are moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, Montgomery is confident he can play in the 3-4 at his present weight.

He shared the RDE spot with Jeremy Thompson, but Thompson is expected to move to a LB spot in '09.

This was intended to be a new topic, but I flubbed up and put it in this thread.

You may shoot me now.

mission
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Quick, there's an edit button, big dog. 8-)

cpk1994
03-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Not exactly earth shattering news, but Mike Montgomery is a Packer once again. A 2 year contract was inked, no financial aspects of the deal were disclosed. He will report to the team’s off-season program next Monday.

Montgomery, 6 feet 5 inches and 275 pounds, has been rumored to be adding weight for the new job, DE in a 3-4 defense. Mike becomes the top backup at end. Starters Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly are considerably heavier than the lean Montgomery . Although the Packers are moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense, Montgomery is confident he can play in the 3-4 at his present weight.

He shared the RDE spot with Jeremy Thompson, but Thompson is expected to move to a LB spot in '09.

This was intended to be a new topic, but I flubbed up and put it in this thread.

You may shoot me now.

Will this :smack: do? :lol:

SnakeLH2006
03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
This move could very well put Detoilet in the SB. :lol:

LOL...Didn't Seattle give him a MASSIVE DEAL 2 years ago...Shows what a farce those HUGE deals are in FA when you suck/are injured. Yet "his contract" with Seattle blew LB numbers out the water. So a big FU to Peterson from Snake. Good job buddy for inflating the future LB numbers across the league. :o