PDA

View Full Version : Mike McKenzie Cut

The Shadow
03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+South/New+Orleans/Features/2009/parr031909.htm

Time marches on.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
If he didn't bitch we wouldn't have had to spend a first and a third on two bust corners in 04. Also the money spent to sign CW could have been used at another position.

CaliforniaCheez
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
If he didn't bitch we wouldn't have had to spend a first and a third on two bust corners in 04. Also the money spent to sign CW could have been used at another position.

He was a good player and good team citizen until they hire Shottenheimer to be his coach. He blew up over that and Marty's little brother.

He was justified when the Packers fired that position coach.

McCarthy's biggest mistake was hiring Shottenheimer back!!

I will always have respect for Mike McKenzie and his contributions as a Packer. He signed and got into camp and beat out the two guys drafted ahead of him at his position. He played well.

He never rocked the boat until Sherman made a bad coaching hire.

MJZiggy
03-20-2009, 06:23 AM
Is it my imagination or did Mike McKenzie get cut to make room for Darren Sharper? That's gotta burn his butt.

KYPack
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM

He was a good player and good team citizen until they hire Shottenheimer to be his coach. He blew up over that and Marty's little brother.

I will always have respect for Mike McKenzie and his contributions as a Packer. He signed and got into camp and beat out the two guys drafted ahead of him at his position. He played well.

It was more that Mac (Da Great?) wanted Lionel Washington to be promoted to group coach.

Yeah, they shigned Darren Sharper and cut McKenzie the next day. MM's salary will be used to pay Sharper's current deal.

packrat
03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
One of the few things I don't blame Sherman for. He was a head case and it was about the money and nothing but the money.

CaptainKickass
03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Didn't Sharper make some comments about being "reunited" with Mac?

sheepshead
03-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Too bad the overrated blow hard in Seattle retired, Mike would have a job.

Gunakor
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM

I actually consider it a blessing. The end result of all of this is that we ended up with the best CB tandem in the NFL. If Mac doesn't bitch his way out of Green Bay, and the Ahmad Carroll experiment didn't fail miserably, then we don't have Charles Woodson. IMO everything the team had to go through to get to the point of signing Woodson was well worth it to get him. To be perfectly honest, the money spent to sign CW went exactly where it should have gone. There aren't many CB's in the NFL of Woodson's caliber that could be had for less money. I'm perfectly fine with it.

gbgary
03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
predator #1 is done? sad day.

packers11
03-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Agree Gunakor...

C-Woods is 5x better than MM...

I'm glad it all happened that way, because in the end we ended up getting C-Woodson...

SnakeLH2006
03-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Didn't Sharper make some comments about being "reunited" with Mac?

Snake thinks Sharper and Favre could oust Jose Canseco's best seller with some kick-ass tell-all books whenever they decide to retire................. In 2014 or so when they actually retire. :lol:

Bretsky
03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Homerism aside, Mike McKenzie was one of my favorite Packers.

Still remember the road to the SuperBowl when San Fran was driving down at the end and Lambeau in the playoffs and all of Lambeau was holding it's breath wondering if another Niner comeback was in the works.

Young throws the ball deep down the sideline and MM uses perfect form to avoid interference....he tips the ball.........I think to Sharper.......and the ball is picked off and the Niners are stopped for good.

GREAT CB for the Packers

Patler
03-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Still remember the road to the SuperBowl when San Fran was driving down at the end and Lambeau in the playoffs and all of Lambeau was holding it's breath wondering if another Niner comeback was in the works.

Young throws the ball deep down the sideline and MM uses perfect form to avoid interference....he tips the ball.........I think to Sharper.......and the ball is picked off and the Niners are stopped for good.

GREAT CB for the Packers

Which Super Bowl are you talking about? Which Mike McKenzie? The one the Packers drafted in 1999?

Or....were you just being facetious? :oops: :oops:

Bretsky
03-22-2009, 02:40 PM

GREAT CB for the Packers

Which Super Bowl are you talking about? Which Mike McKenzie? The one the Packers drafted in 1999?

""ROAD""" to the SuperBowl

It was the game to get us to the NFC Title Game against Carolina

I went to each one at Lambeau

Patler
03-22-2009, 02:53 PM

GREAT CB for the Packers

Ya, That's what I thought you meant. January 1997.
McKenzie played in that game? He wasn't drafted by the Packers until 1999.
Sharper played in that game? He wasn't drafted by the Packers until the Spring of 1997.

Bretsky
03-22-2009, 02:55 PM

GREAT CB for the Packers

Sharper played in that game? He wasn't drafted by the Packers until the Spring of 1997.

shit; what game am I thinking of then. Or was it all a dream ?

esoxx
03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
You're thinking of the '99 wild card playoff game against SF that ended with T.O. catching the winning TD (after Rice fumbled of course).
I think it was Tyrone Williams that tipped it to Sharper, who made a great play on the diving interception.
Mac da Great would come in the next draft. That was the "Moss" draft where Wolf drafted three CB's to try and stay well-heeled in the back end to try and offset Moss' spectacular play.

Pugger
03-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Is it my imagination or did Mike McKenzie get cut to make room for Darren Sharper? That's gotta burn his butt.

That's what I heard Ziggy. Small world, huh? :wink:

hoosier
03-23-2009, 09:56 AM

GREAT CB for the Packers

It was the 2002 wildcard game (after 2001 season). McKenzie tipped it to Ty Williams after Owens beat him but Garcia through a duck. Not exactly the road to the Super Bowl that one....the next week was Favre's infamous six picks in St Louis.

Patler
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM

GREAT CB for the Packers

They all kind of blur together after a while, don't they? :lol:

Just don't start arguing that Woodson and Adderley were the best CB tandom the Packers ever had on the field at the same time, and that coupled with Wood and Butler at safety they were the best defensive backfield ever!

Merlin
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM

That's why McCarthy hiring the guy back was so wrong. Shottenheimer has never had any success in the NFL as a coach. We knew he sucked but we brought him back anyway. You can't move forward if you are always looking back.

vince
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Shottenheimer has never had any success in the NFL as a coach.
It's kind of funny that you would make that statement in the face of one of the most successful defensive backfield campaigns in some time, with three of the four positions qualifying for the Pro-Bowl.

Of course, that success came in spite of Schottzy, I'm sure. Any of us fans know full well how effective he actually is coaching defensive backs day in and day out, and can tell whether he contributed to the success or whether it occurred in spite of him. [/sarcasm]