PDA

View Full Version : Culver makes three.

woodbuck27
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Green Bay Packers / NFL News & Notes

UPDATED DAILY BY 7:00 AM EASTERN

PACKERS SIGN DRAFT PICK CULVER

The Green Bay Packers Tuesday signed safety Tyrone Culver, the team's second of two selections in the sixth round of the 2006 NFL Draft (185th overall).

Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signing. Culver, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound player out of Fresno State, is the third Green Bay draft selection to sign, along with defensive end Dave Tollefson (June 23) and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (July 7).

A full-time starter over his last two seasons, he tallied career totals of 178 tackles (101 solo), six tackles for loss, four sacks, three fumbles recoveries, two forced fumbles and five interceptions among 19 passes broken up.

In addition to receiving first-team All-WAC honors as a senior, Culver was also a four-time academic all-conference selection.

Joemailman
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Safety | Senior | Fresno St. Tyrone Culver
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.56

Official Bio

Strengths:
Pretty good athlete...Physical and will help versus the run...A playmaker who has a knack for coming through in the clutch...Very smart both on and off the field...A hard worker with premier intangibles...A very consistent and reliable performer.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed...Instincts are below average...Is built more like a cornerback...Does not have fluid hips and is slow out of his breaks...Can be too conservative at times...Range is a bit limited...Might not have a very big upside.

Notes:
Wants to go to dental school...Probably doesn't have all the physical tools and measurables you look for in a prospect...The type who does everything well but nothing great...Might never be a star but could be a solid backup at the pro level.

You never know about guys like this. Sometimes they can use intelligence and hustle to make up for lack of athletic talent. If he impresses on special teams, he may have a shot. To make the team, he'll have to beat out Roman or Underwood. Not an impossible task.

Bretsky
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Safety | Senior | Fresno St. Tyrone Culver
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 195 | 40-Time: 4.56

Official Bio

Strengths:
Pretty good athlete...Physical and will help versus the run...A playmaker who has a knack for coming through in the clutch...Very smart both on and off the field...A hard worker with premier intangibles...A very consistent and reliable performer.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed...Instincts are below average...Is built more like a cornerback...Does not have fluid hips and is slow out of his breaks...Can be too conservative at times...Range is a bit limited...Might not have a very big upside.

Notes:
Wants to go to dental school...Probably doesn't have all the physical tools and measurables you look for in a prospect...The type who does everything well but nothing great...Might never be a star but could be a solid backup at the pro level.

You never know about guys like this. Sometimes they can use intelligence and hustle to make up for lack of athletic talent. If he impresses on special teams, he may have a shot. To make the team, he'll have to beat out Roman or Underwood. Not an impossible task.

HE WAS A VERY IMPRESSIVE COLLEGE PLAYER; I watched him a couple times vs. the Badgers and he was a playmaker in those games.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
as I recall, he was the best player on the Fresno defense. but my recall can be a little suspect.

oregonpackfan
07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Led by coach Pat Hill, Fresno State turns out some very tough, disciplined, well-coached players. This is a team that actively seeks out games with the elite Division I teams.

Being on the West Coast, I have watched a number of Fresno State games. I am very impressed with the quality of play demonstrated by this team.

I would never underestimate any FS player.

Oregonpackfan

MadtownPacker
07-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Led by coach Pat Hill, Fresno State turns out some very tough, disciplined, well-coached players. This is a team that actively seeks out games with the elite Division I teams.Ahh, finally some homecooking for me.

Hell yeah they call out big schools and crybaby teams like USC and UCLA wont come play in da No. I give the Oregon schools props cuz least they are willing to trade stadiums everytime they meet,

Pack0514
07-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Not to be a party-pooper but the reports I have read have said that UDFA Tra Boger from Tulane has looked better than Culver.

Unless we trade someone like Roman, My gut says Culver and Boger fight for a PS spot.

Current Safties:
Collins
Manual
Roman
Underwood