PDA

View Full Version : Trent Dilfer - Cutler not an upgrade for Vikings

Patler
03-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I continue to wonder why Cutler is given the acclamation usually reserved for QBs who have accomplished something. Right now I see he and Rodgers as about equals in potential. Comments from Dilfer as to why Cutler would not necessarily upgrade the Vikings:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/41405362.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

SMACKTALKIE
03-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Once when Dilfer was with the Bucs I saw him scramble 45 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Just before he was pushed out of bounds he heaved the ball downfield for an interception. He followed that up by hurting himself on the tackle coming back. However this was all for show after it was determined Dilfer stepped out of bounds prior to his releasing the football. Thus the play resulted in a turn over on downs and a 45 yard loss.

Maybe Dilfer's definition of a good QB differs from mine.

I tend to think Cutler would be a huge upgrade.

I don't think the Vikings will trade for him though.

gbgary
03-21-2009, 12:58 PM
dilfer's an idiot!

steve823
03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
in my opinion trent dilfer is one of the greatest qbs of all time :D

red
03-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Once when Dilfer was with the Bucs I saw him scramble 45 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Just before he was pushed out of bounds he heaved the ball downfield for an interception. He followed that up by hurting himself on the tackle coming back. However this was all for show after it was determined Dilfer stepped out of bounds prior to his releasing the football. Thus the play resulted in a turn over on downs and a 45 yard loss.

LOL

that would tell you just about all you need to know about him

Lurker64
03-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Dilfer was just average. Not one of the elite QBs in the league that you need to win a championship. He was never going to take his team to the superbowl...

texaspackerbacker
03-21-2009, 02:19 PM
This isn't about Dilfer; It's about Cutler.

I wholeheartedly agree that he ain't anywhere near as good--either performance or potential--as Aaron Rodgers, but the thought of him going to the Vikings really scares me. The Vikings are very good of defense; They are very good in their O Line; Adrian Peterson was down a little last year, but still is one of the 2 or 3 best runners in the NFL; And it wouldn't take too much to improve their receiver corps. Let them find even a fair solution at QB, and they are damn a good team.

Patler
03-21-2009, 02:48 PM

LOL

that would tell you just about all you need to know about him

What he did means nothing at all. In fact, from his own personal experiences he may recognize traits in Cutler that are similar to traits he himself had, which prevented him from being a great QB.

Patler
03-21-2009, 02:53 PM

I wholeheartedly agree that he ain't anywhere near as good--either performance or potential--as Aaron Rodgers, but the thought of him going to the Vikings really scares me. The Vikings are very good of defense; They are very good in their O Line; Adrian Peterson was down a little last year, but still is one of the 2 or 3 best runners in the NFL; And it wouldn't take too much to improve their receiver corps. Let them find even a fair solution at QB, and they are damn a good team.

That is my "concern". The Vikings have achieved moderate success with a QB that hurts them. If they have a QB who doesn't hurt them very often, they are better and might have all the pieces for a playoff run. If they have a QB who helps just occasionally, their chances are improved dramatically. Cutler falls into the first category without much doubt. Whether he falls into the latter is yet to be seen.

Guiness
03-21-2009, 05:23 PM
What he did means nothing at all.

Echoing my thoughts you two.

Dilfer didn't have the tools, but had moderate to good success in the NFL - is any other SB winning QB as maligned as he is? That tells me he was at least somewhat cerebral in his play.

He played a skilled position successfully in the NFL. I'm willing to listen.

steve823
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Dilfer was just average. Not one of the elite QBs in the league that you need to win a championship. He was never going to take his team to the superbowl...

lollll i was joking...i think he was horrible maybe average at best

RashanGary
03-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Dilfer is one of about 30 to QB a SB winning team (EVER)

He's one of a handful that have done it in the last 10 years.

He had a bad start and from what I've heard a bad attitude early in his career, but he really came around, got his head straight and became a damn good NFL QB. He's very underrated IMO. And from what I've learned of Dilfer, he's the exact type of person who can comment on a young, talented player not having his head in the right place.

red
03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Dilfer is one of about 30 to QB a SB winning team (EVER)

He's one of a handful that have done it in the last 10 years.

He had a bad start and from what I've heard a bad attitude early in his career, but he really came around, got his head straight and became a damn good NFL QB. He's very underrated IMO. And from what I've learned of Dilfer, he's the exact type of person who can comment on a young, talented player not having his head in the right place.

dilfer sucks

he had 1 good year and one ok year, the rest were below average (21-11, and sb, and 21-15), and he never threw over 300 yards. he is a guy that really benefited from play on a team with a great d

to me, cutler would be a huge upgrade for the queens. i don't think he is as good as a-rod, but he's a lot better then what they have and give them a competent franchise qb

RashanGary
03-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Just looked at his numbers. Not as good as I expected. Still, for as much hate as he gets, he had a good, long career.

As far as this thread goes, I've heard his story and he was a very highly touted player coming out of college. Tall, big arm, all of that. He was cocky and stupid from what I understand and eventually got it together and played team football. He's the type of guy who would be able to spot a guy who was a little too cocky if he saw one because he was one. I think his opinion here is valuable. Plus, I think the knows a little something of what it takes to be an NFL QB.

Packman_26
03-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Why is it that since Dilfer wasn't a top flight QB that he can't have an opinion on QBs? By this logic message boards such not exist since none of us have played professional football.

SnakeLH2006
03-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Why is it that since Dilfer wasn't a top flight QB that he can't have an opinion on QBs? By this logic message boards such not exist since none of us have played professional football.

LOL. Snake agrees... +1 newbie! Besides, isn't Sean Salisbury a "respected" QB analyst for ESPN, who accomplished far less than Dilfer did as a player?

I do think Cutler is an upgrade for the Queens, yet they might be better off without the risks Cutler could entail, being a ball control offense, with a stud O and D Line with maybe the top player in the NFL in Peterson. Cutler would be a risk worth taking though, if not for the slew of picks/cash necessary to pull it off, not to mention the headache that trails the legend of Bus Cook. :roll:

DonHutson
03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I suspect Dilfer thinks Dilfer might be an upgrade for the Vikings.

3irty1
03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I suspect Dilfer thinks Dilfer might be an upgrade for the Vikings.

Dilfer would be an upgrade for the Vikings. Cutler would be a huge upgrade.

3irty1
03-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I believe Jay Cutler is one of the top 12 quarterbacks in the NFL, but I would not put him in the top eight. He has a lot more to prove.

How is that not a huge upgrade Trent?

Partial
03-24-2009, 07:28 PM
If he ranks him as that slot of quarterback, then I truly don't think its a huge upgrade.

I rank Cutler higher than that in the "win a game today" mode. I rank him even higher yet when projecting the success over the next 5-6 years.

SMACKTALKIE
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I guess the Vikings were interested afterall. I wonder if they are still in the running for Cutler.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ave48rXgyjwPPzkON0DPMBRDubYF?slug=cr-cutler032509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SnakeLH2006
03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
If he ranks him as that slot of quarterback, then I truly don't think its a huge upgrade.

I rank Cutler higher than that in the "win a game today" mode. I rank him even higher yet when projecting the success over the next 5-6 years.

<<Snake bows and thanks God Partial is not a Packer GM.

17-21 and no playoff appearances. Yep, Cutler's a winner baby!!!