PDA

View Full Version : Driver making headlines 'T.O. IS A SELFISH LITTLE BRAT'

packers11
03-22-2009, 02:09 PM
www.pft.com

DRIVER: “T.O. IS A SELFISH LITTLE BRAT”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 22, 2009, 2:54 p.m.

In as nice a tone as possible, Green Bay Packers veteran wide receiver Donald Driver made it abundantly clear that he has no intentions of ever playing on the same football team as combustible Buffalo Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens.

During a recent Packers fan appearance immortalized on YouTube, Driver said, “T.O. is a nice guy, if you get to know him, a nice, down-to-earth guy. Could I ever play with T.O.? No. We have talked about if we could ever play with each other. He wants the ball. I guess you could say he’s selfish. He’s a selfish little brat, but he’s a good guy in person.”

Driver contrasted his low-key approach to the game to Owens, noting how he handled not getting the ball as much during a stretch last season as quarterback Aaron Rodgers repeatedly targeted wideout Greg Jennings.

“It’s all good, you deal with it,” Driver said. “I don’t have to prove myself anymore. We had a great connection, one of the best connections in Packers history, me and Brett [Favre]. Now, [Rodgers] and Greg have that connection.

“It worked for them. As the season went on, I had to get involved in the offense and things started working out. You just move forward. I love to play the game. The fans make me excited.”

Jennings caught 80 passes for 1,292 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Driver finished with 74 receptions for 1,012 yards and five touchdowns last season.

digitaldean
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Double D is tellin' it like it is!
:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

red
03-22-2009, 03:08 PM
that's our donald

Brandon494
03-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Grass is green and the sky is blue....tell me something that I don't know already.

BZnDallas
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
god i love that guy... he lives about 15 miles from me in flower mound tx and banks at a place where a friend of mine works... my friend says he is one of the nicest guys...

how about a poll on if/when he gets his number retired after his career is over? hopefully not for another 2-3 years... (i still think he could be a helluva 3-4 reciever as he gets older if his body and mind can hang in there)...

falco
03-22-2009, 10:09 PM
god i love that guy... he lives about 15 miles from me in flower mound tx and banks at a place where a friend of mine works... my friend says he is one of the nicest guys...

how about a poll on if/when he gets his number retired after his career is over? hopefully not for another 2-3 years... (i still think he could be a helluva 3-4 reciever as he gets older if his body and mind can hang in there)...

donald is awesome, but no way he gets his number retired.

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Paker hall of fame all the way, but no number I agree.

bobblehead
03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
If I were TT and I had the cap space I would give DD a quick million dollar roster bonus just for that.

oregonpackfan
03-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for telling it like it is, Donald! :)

BZnDallas
03-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Paker hall of fame all the way, but no number I agree.

i can dig that, but if he plays 2 more years its possible he can get to 10,000 yards and 50 tds... hes at 7989 and 43 right now... and he does it the 'Green Bay Packer Way'... i can understand if it doesn't get retired, but packer hall of fame for sure... i'm cool with that

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Every 10,000 yd receiver deserves, at least consideration, for the pro football HOF. If the Packers win a SB here down the stretch, he has a chance.

Watching a team play together is part of what makes football enjoyable to me. Driver is a great teammate.

Patler
03-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Every 10,000 yd receiver deserves, at least consideration, for the pro football HOF. If the Packers win a SB here down the stretch, he has a chance.

Barely getting 10,000 yards will not get much consideration for the NFL Hall of Fame in today's NFL. If Driver gets 10,000 yards before he retires it will likely put him somewhere around #35 all-time in receiving yards. Before he is considered for the Hall of Fame he will have been passed by others. His TD total will be lucky to put him in the top 120 all-time. He will have no memorable season associated with his career, no significant stat. It will simply be a steady, long career.

Even worse for his chances is that he will be considered shortly after, with, or shortly before players like Bruce, Harrison, Owens, Moss and Holt. Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and others like Bolden and Fitzgerald will have reached or be nearing the ends of their careers. Inevitably, Driver will be compared to all of those guys, and his stats will not hold up well against them. There will be a lot of players with a lot better statistics than Donald Driver who will not have made the Hall of Fame, and I will be surprised if Driver gets much support at all.

He is a lock already for the Packer HOF.

Pugger
03-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I love Donald Driver!!! :hrt:

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM
There are 150 receivers in the NFL right now. There have been what? 4,000 receivers to play in the NFL, and Driver may finish in the top 30 of 4,000 when it comes to total yards.

That is the top .75%. I'm not saying he should be in the HOF. I'm saying if he gets 10,000 yards that he should be considered. If the Packers in another SB with Driver and he goes over 10,000 yards, I think he has a chance.

Bretsky
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
There are 150 receivers in the NFL right now. There have been what? 4,000 receivers to play in the NFL, and Driver may finish in the top 30 of 4,000 when it comes to total yards.

That is the top .75%. I'm not saying he should be in the HOF. I'm saying if he gets 10,000 yards that he should be considered. If the Packers in another SB with Driver and he goes over 10,000 yards, I think he has a chance.

A year plus back I started a thread arguing with a few good years Driver will stack up well with several Hall of Fame receivers and there was a chance he would get there. I wish I was ambitious enough to find it....but I'm not.
With that being said, the big difference was the TD's and I pointed out that DD needed to average a few seasons of 8-10 a piece. It doesn't look like he's getting there

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 08:39 PM
TD's are a problem. He's probably not getting in, but he's had a hell of a career. He'll probably finish a notch or two down from HOF. Still, hell of a career.

Partial
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
4 words: benefactor of hof qb.

Joemailman
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
4 words: benefactor of hof qb.

Really? He had 36 fewer yards and 3 more touchdowns in 2008 than he had in 2007. Or did you mean Arod? :D

swede
03-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Zing!

Partial
03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
DD is a very good receiver now. Earlier on in his career, he was certainly helped by Favre. Now I think he's definitely good enough to do things on his own. Problem is he keeps gettin' older, and the players Teets likes to draft keep stayin' the same age.

Patler
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM

By the time he retires, Driver might be around 35th-40th in career yardage. By the time he is considered, he will likely have fallen further. He likely will not be in the top 100 for receiving TDs.

Only 20 WRs who have played since 1946 have been inducted into the Hall of fame. When Driver is up for consideration, and Moss, Owens, Harrison, Bruce, Holt, Johnson etc. are also knocking on the door, or recently admitted, do you really think Driver will get more than a passing thought by the voters? What will be "special" about his career? He has no extras like punt or kick returns. Just the bare receiving stats.

Rice and Tim Brown will certainly be admitted soon.

Chris Carter and Henry Ellard had nearly 14,000 yards. Carter had 130 TDs for 4th all time. Ellard had 65. Ellard had an 11yds+/return average on punt returns and 4 TDs. Carter should make it eventually, Ellard has been waiting for a while already.

Andre Reed and Irving Fryar had 13,000 yards. Reed had 87 TDs, Fryar 84. Fryar had a 10 yd. average on punt returns. Both are on the outside looking in.

Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith and others will lead Driver by a couple thousand yards and 25 TDs if Driver retires with about 10,000/50.

Gary Clark and Keenan McCardell had 65 and 63 TDs respectively, with about 11,000 yards.

Andre Rison had 10,000+ yards and 84 TDs (14th all-time).
Harold Carmichael 9,000 yards but 79 TDs putting him tied for 19th.
Galloway has nearly 11,000 yards and 77 TDs.
Derrick Mason, Hines Ward, Chad Johnosn and Amani Toomer already lead Driver by 1,000 - 2,000 yards and 10-20 TDs.

What would put Driver ahead of any of those receivers?

Then there are those younger, but catching up fast, like Burress, Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, Houshmandzadeh, Fitzgerald, Bolden, etc. These guys could fly past Driver just a couple years after he retires. Several are likely to pass him in TDs before he retires.

I doubt that Driver will ever make it out of the initial round of elimination. Too many WRs with much more memorable careers than his. Not that many WRs are likely to be admitted to the NFL HOF before Driver is long forgotten.

RashanGary
03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I stand corrected.

I'll revise my opinion to: Driver has had a great career but hasn't done enough to be strongly considered for the pro football HOF.

Joemailman
03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Driver's problem is that his career got off to a slow start. He had about 500 yards receiving combined in his first 3 years. He's comparable in many ways to Art Monk who recently got in to the HOF after a long wait. However, Monk had about 2000 yards receiving his first 3 years and finished with over 12,000 yards. If Driver were at the 10,000 yard mark right now instead of 8,000, he'd have a chance. He's just going to run out of time.

Patler
03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Driver's problem is that his career got off to a slow start. He had about 500 yards receiving combined in his first 3 years. He's comparable in many ways to Art Monk who recently got in to the HOF after a long wait. However, Monk had about 2000 yards receiving his first 3 years and finished with over 12,000 yards. If Driver were at the 10,000 yard mark right now instead of 8,000, he'd have a chance. He's just going to run out of time.

You're right, Driver's first three seasons were completely insignificant, and had he produced more in those seasons he might have been close to Monk in a couple years. But Monk also had that little bit of prominence that Driver never has had because Monk lead the league in receptions one year, finished 2nd the following year and 3rd another year. Driver has never been higher than 5th. One of the arguments against players with big stats from very long careers is that they weren't among the 2 or 3 best of their own time. For Monk it can be argued that he was for at least some of his career. It's hard to make that argument for Driver when looking at his contemporaries.

Henry Ellard is an interesting case. 13,777 yards (8th all time); 65 TDs (tied for 40th). Averaged 11.3 yards on 135 punt returns. Retired since 1998, and I don't think he has ever gotten very strong consideration for the HOF.

A real interesting case is Stirling Sharpe. Only 7 seasons, but 8,134 yards on 595 receptions and 65 TDs. 5 pro bowls, 3 times he was All-Pro. Lead the NFL in receptions 3 times. Lead in receiving yards once, was 2nd once and 3rd once. Twice he lead the league in receiving TDs. He came into the league the same year as Michael Irvin, and for the first 7 years was way ahead of Irvin statistically. As it was, in 5 more seasons, Irvin had only 155 more receptions and managed to match Sharpes' 65 TDs. It's hard to ID too many receivers better those 7 seasons than Sharpe. Irvin certainly wasn't.

LP
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
He came into the league the same year as Michael Irvin, and for the first 7 years was way ahead of Irvin statistically. As it was, in 5 more seasons, Irvin had only 155 more receptions and managed to match Sharpes' 65 TDs. It's hard to ID too many receivers better those 7 seasons than Sharpe. Irvin certainly wasn't.

Yeah, but Michael did more dope!

So there. :)

SnakeLH2006
03-26-2009, 12:45 AM
www.pft.com

DRIVER: “T.O. IS A SELFISH LITTLE BRAT”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 22, 2009, 2:54 p.m.

In as nice a tone as possible, Green Bay Packers veteran wide receiver Donald Driver made it abundantly clear that he has no intentions of ever playing on the same football team as combustible Buffalo Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens.

During a recent Packers fan appearance immortalized on YouTube, Driver said, “T.O. is a nice guy, if you get to know him, a nice, down-to-earth guy. Could I ever play with T.O.? No. We have talked about if we could ever play with each other. He wants the ball. I guess you could say he’s selfish. He’s a selfish little brat, but he’s a good guy in person.”

Driver contrasted his low-key approach to the game to Owens, noting how he handled not getting the ball as much during a stretch last season as quarterback Aaron Rodgers repeatedly targeted wideout Greg Jennings.

“It’s all good, you deal with it,” Driver said. “I don’t have to prove myself anymore. We had a great connection, one of the best connections in Packers history, me and Brett [Favre]. Now, [Rodgers] and Greg have that connection.

“It worked for them. As the season went on, I had to get involved in the offense and things started working out. You just move forward. I love to play the game. The fans make me excited.”

Jennings caught 80 passes for 1,292 yards and nine touchdowns last season. Driver finished with 74 receptions for 1,012 yards and five touchdowns last season.

That's why DD is a true man, and TO is a true turd.

Snake wonders though...at this point in their careers, who has a better 2009...TO or DD?

Seems pretty close, as DD accepts his fate and still looks good, but TO looked to really decline last year with an insane O??? Thoughts?