PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry To The Packers?

Joemailman
03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Pat Kirwan has the Packers taking Curry in his latest mock. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f53f26&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
I know the conventional wisdom is that there is no way Curry will be available at #9, but I think Kirwan is one of the best at keeping his pulse on trends in upcoming drafts.

Kirwan also has an excellent article on activity related to the upcoming draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f5dc39&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Pat Kirwan has the Packers taking Curry in his latest mock. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f53f26&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
I know the conventional wisdom is that there is no way Curry will be available at #9, but I think Kirwan is one of the best at keeping his pulse on trends in upcoming drafts.

Kirwan also has an excellent article on activity related to the upcoming draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f5dc39&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think Curry would be great, but I for one would rather see Raji or Orakpo at 9.

Bretsky
03-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I'd take Curry in a second; he'll be gone by 5 though

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 09:52 PM

what is your prediction for us at 9? I want Raji but I say we take Maybin or best OT available :roll:

The Shadow
03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Curry will be gone.

PlantPage55
03-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I'd hate to waste a pick on curry and have to trade Barnett (or Hawk). Bring on Aaron Amaze-bin.

red
03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
i look at dozens of mocks a day

i've seen the packers taking at least 20 different guys in the last few weeks

i wouldn't put to much stock into any of them

wityh ted thompson at the helm we won't have a clue who the packers are going to take in the draft

in fact, even after the pick is made i'm sure most of us will be scrambling around trying to figure out who the hell the guy is

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd hate to waste a pick on curry and have to trade Barnett (or Hawk). Bring on Aaron Amaze-bin.
what is the word on maybin? I read something questioning his extreme size explosion, suspecting roids.

Joemailman
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM

No need to do that. Curry should be able to play inside or outside.

For Curry to fall to the Packers, I think both Stafford and Sanchez would have to be picked in the top 8. 2 QB's, 2 OT's, Crabtree, Raji, Orakpo, and Everette Brown would be the top 8. Not likely, but not impossible.

falco
03-22-2009, 10:13 PM

For Curry to fall to the Packers, I think both Stafford and Sanchez would have to be picked in the top 8. 2 QB's, 2 OT's, Crabtree, Raji, Orakpo, and Everette Brown would be the top 8. Not likely, but not impossible.

Curry has been talked about as a #1 pick - with our switch to the 3-4, I would think he would be a no brainer if he fell to us...sort of like another possible #1 pick a few years back...

Joemailman
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I think Detroit traded for Julian Peterson because they have other plans for the #1 pick. In the last 5 years, only 2 LB's (Hawk and Gohlston) have been taken in the 1st 8 picks. Many have argued that neither have justified their high draft position. Some teams may be hesitant to draft a linebacker as high as Curry has been projected.

bobblehead
03-22-2009, 10:20 PM
TT is very much like Ron Wolf in a few ways. He believes the two hardest to fill positions in the NFL are QB and LT. Wolf struggled to get a successful LT. I don't see TT passing on the chance to land a franchise type if there is one available.

I believe this so strongly that I think he will even take Oher at 9 if he believes the guy can man the position. If all 4 went ahead of us that might change things. Also if TT thinks that there isn't a real deal LT left....and I'm not going to speculate on who he ranks where.

If we could have Andre Smith slide to us it would make things really interesting going into camp. College was outstanding the last game of the year at RT (granted against the Lions). Maybe Sitton emerges and spitz mans the center. If Babre developed at LG we could have a nasty run blocking OL. Its a lot of ifs for sure, but if you have a stud at LT a lot of other things get easier.

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 10:30 PM

who do you see Raji going to in the top 8?

sheepshead
03-22-2009, 10:39 PM
get out of the first round now TT

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 10:42 PM
get out of the first round now TT

sadly that is probably on the top of his player board

Bretsky
03-22-2009, 10:50 PM

what is your prediction for us at 9? I want Raji but I say we take Maybin or best OT available :roll:

my gut tells me it's Maybin or Brown at #9

I know we're set at WR; but I'd still like to see Crabtree in Green and Gold

Joemailman
03-22-2009, 10:55 PM

I actually think there is a very good chance he'll be available at #9. However, I suspect Cincinnati takes him. Cleveland and Oakland are also possibilities.

BlueBrewer
03-22-2009, 11:09 PM

I actually think there is a very good chance he'll be available at #9. However, I suspect Cincinnati takes him. Cleveland and Oakland are also possibilities.

i kind of think oakland goes OT now that thier starter is beating his baby momma with a broom stick

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Curry is good, but I just don't want the Packers to take a LB. Maybin I don't like; Orakpo I don't like; That's having seen both several times.

My first choice would an OT--Monroe, A. Smith, J. Smith in that order, hopefully not Oher. After that, I'd like to see the pick be Crabtree; The next choice in my mind would be Raji.

My pick on what we actually get: Andre Smith.

Joemailman
03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
what is the word on maybin? I read something questioning his extreme size explosion, suspecting roids.

It is raising a lot of speculation. http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

Link provides before and after pictures. Can you add 25 pounds of muscle in 55 days without juice? I don't know. Any body builders here?

oregonpackfan
03-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Curry is good, but I just don't want the Packers to take a LB. Maybin I don't like; Orakpo I don't like; That's having seen both several times.

My first choice would an OT--Monroe, A. Smith, J. Smith in that order, hopefully not Oher. After that, I'd like to see the pick be Crabtree; The next choice in my mind would be Raji.

Last week's issue of Sports Illustrated had a good article on Andre Smith. It also shows a picture of him running a sprint with his doughboy, out-of-shape body.

I sure hope the Packers do not pick Andre Smith.

bobblehead
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Last week's issue of Sports Illustrated had a good article on Andre Smith. It also shows a picture of him running a sprint with his doughboy, out-of-shape body.

I sure hope the Packers do not pick Andre Smith.I agree, he looks too much like Mark Tauscher and look at how that turned out :shock:

bobblehead
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM

It is raising a lot of speculation. http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/2009/03/aaron_maybins_physical_transfo.html

Link provides before and after pictures. Can you add 25 pounds of muscle in 55 days without juice? I don't know. Any body builders here?

EXTREMELY unlikely. With millions on the line I can't blame the guy, but no way in hell I would draft him. The real kicker here in the pictures is that his midsection got thicker. Even guys who are able to put on a lot of muscle fast can't usually build their core that fast.

I always said you couldn't asolutely condemn Bonds because he was growing into a mans body and he gained his size over a couple years (I still thought he was guilty, but wouldn't say it as fact.) That picture is a guy who gained that much pure muscle, without gaining any bodyfat and he is still in a kids body. I ain't saying he is a cheater, I'm just saying I wouldn't draft him.

bobblehead
03-23-2009, 08:15 AM
OK, I'm actually saying he is a cheater, what the hell.

wist43
03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Good LB that will bring a lot to the team that drafts him... but his forte is chase, tackle, and cover; his major weakness is rushing the passer.

So for that reason alone, I'd pass... that said, if he's there, I'm sure TT would take him, and we'll definitely need his coverage ability, b/c opposing QB's will be sitting in a rocking chair in the pocket.

We need a dominant edge rusher... Curry isn't that.

wist43
03-23-2009, 09:08 AM
For what the Packers need... I'm much higher on English and Orakpo; but, of course, TT gives pretty short shrift to need, especially in the 1st round.

wist43
03-23-2009, 09:13 AM

Who cares if Hawk or Barnett are kicked to the curb... their both pretty pedestrian. Did Hawk even make a play last year??? And Barnett had one good year out of 5. Don't care about either of those guys really.

PackerPro42
03-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I think if Curry falls to us TT has to take him. He's too good of a player to pass up on. And as for kicking Barnett or Hawk out, that won't happen because he's considered as more of an OLB prospect than a MLB prospect.

LL2
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
TT is very much like Ron Wolf in a few ways. He believes the two hardest to fill positions in the NFL are QB and LT. Wolf struggled to get a successful LT. I don't see TT passing on the chance to land a franchise type if there is one available.

I believe this so strongly that I think he will even take Oher at 9 if he believes the guy can man the position. If all 4 went ahead of us that might change things. Also if TT thinks that there isn't a real deal LT left....and I'm not going to speculate on who he ranks where.

If we could have Andre Smith slide to us it would make things really interesting going into camp. College was outstanding the last game of the year at RT (granted against the Lions). Maybe Sitton emerges and spitz mans the center. If Babre developed at LG we could have a nasty run blocking OL. Its a lot of ifs for sure, but if you have a stud at LT a lot of other things get easier.

According to this mock you might have your wish.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiP9spVv806Rm5RswiU_n9BDubYF?slug=ys-mockdraftvi031709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think taking Smith is a risk, but there could be a lot of upside with him. I'd be happy with the pick if he become a 10 time all -pro...but who wouldn't.

I'd still like to see a defensive player picked and Curry would be awesome too. Curry/Hawk/Barnett/Kampan would be sweet. I'm curious about Orakpo and Raji too.

cheesner
03-23-2009, 12:11 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiP9spVv806Rm5RswiU_n9BDubYF?slug=ys-mockdraftvi031709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I think taking Smith is a risk, but there could be a lot of upside with him. I'd be happy with the pick if he become a 10 time all -pro...but who wouldn't.

I'd still like to see a defensive player picked and Curry would be awesome too. Curry/Hawk/Barnett/Kampan would be sweet. I'm curious about Orakpo and Raji too.
I don't think we will take Smith. Although he represents value at #9, he doesn't fit the zbs. I also believe he will be gone by the Packers pick.

If Curry is there, he has got to be the pick. He is a special player that Capers would love to work with. If he doesn't fit what Dom exactly has in mind, I am thinking Dom would tweak the scheme to take advantage of him. But, I doubt Curry is available at #9. If he is, expect this headline: "Curry to spice up Packer Defense"

bobblehead
03-23-2009, 12:15 PM

I just think 2nd and 4 is better following AS driving his man off the ball as opposed to 2nd and 11 cuz Clifton couldn't get any push.

rbaloha1
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Its unlikely Curry falls to #9. Although if Stafford, Sanchez and possibly Freeman are selected prior to #9 along with the left tackles and Crabtree and Macklin then its possible.

Trust if Curry is selected that he is more suited to the 3-4 than current players.

Fritz
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I've seen Smith mocked between picks 11-16 lately, and have mostly seen Raji still mocked either to Cinci at #6 (I think that's when they pick) or Denver at #12, though if he's available to GB at #9 I'll be bummed if TT passes on him.

I am beginning to see this draft fall so that Orakpo may well be sitting there for TT to decide upon at #9.

KYPack
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
NFL Net had some coverage of Crabtree post-surgery.

I had the idea it was a minor foot procedure.

He was wheeled out in a wheelchair and can't walk.

I have no idea how long the recovery period is, but I think teams will be reluctant to draft a kid with one of the first 8 picks and then wheel him out for the press conference.

I assume he'll be walking by then, but I also think he drops on the draft list somewhat.

Waldo
03-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I've seen Smith mocked between picks 11-16 lately, and have mostly seen Raji still mocked either to Cinci at #6 (I think that's when they pick) or Denver at #12, though if he's available to GB at #9 I'll be bummed if TT passes on him.

I am beginning to see this draft fall so that Orakpo may well be sitting there for TT to decide upon at #9.

I think that Orakpo is going at #3 to KC. They were historically bad at applying pressure (I believe they had the fewest sacks of any team ever). If not I gotta believe Cincy would take Orakpo over Raji if they don't take an OT. RDE/WOLB is a more premium position than DT in every system for every team.

Even if Curry is on the board, I gotta believe that TT would take an OT or Raji over Curry, and would think hard about Maybin over him. ILB is locked in for a long time, both starters and backups, but OLB's are really up in the air with Poppinga and Thompson as the only 2 signed beyond '09. Is Curry really better than Barnett or Hawk? He best be hands down better as one of the two would have to be cut or traded to make space.

Patler
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM

I have no idea how long the recovery period is, but I think teams will be reluctant to draft a kid with one of the first 8 picks and then wheel him out for the press conference.

I assume he'll be walking by then, but I also think he drops on the draft list somewhat.

All we have to do is think back to Blackmon's first two seasons. Rehabbing and re-injuries to his foot wasted his first two seasons.

BlueBrewer
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM

All we have to do is think back to Blackmon's first two seasons. Rehabbing and re-injuries to his foot wasted his first two seasons.

How about Jonathan Stewart...and no not the leftist comedian either, the Carolina RB, that story had a happy ending if I remember right. :wink:

hoosier
03-23-2009, 02:29 PM

I think that Orakpo is going at #3 to KC. They were historically bad at applying pressure (I believe they had the fewest sacks of any team ever). If not I gotta believe Cincy would take Orakpo over Raji if they don't take an OT. RDE/WOLB is a more premium position than DT in every system for every team.

Even if Curry is on the board, I gotta believe that TT would take an OT or Raji over Curry, and would think hard about Maybin over him. ILB is locked in for a long time, both starters and backups, but OLB's are really up in the air with Poppinga and Thompson as the only 2 signed beyond '09. Is Curry really better than Barnett or Hawk? He best be hands down better as one of the two would have to be cut or traded to make space.

My understanding is that Curry isn't necessarily limited to MLB. They could take him hoping he can adapt into a devastating ROLB. That said, I agree that NT and LT are higher priorities because the Packers seem to be banking on the idea that they already have three good LBs: Kampmann, Barnett and Hawk. (If they're wrong on that, next season is going to be a long one.) But in order for those guys to do their job they need to have the NT position in reliable hands. Pickett followed by nobody does not instill confidence. If Raji is gone or if they have serious doubts about him, there may not be a better chance to find a franchise LT.

Guiness
03-23-2009, 07:51 PM

25lbs in 55 days? Jesus, I know supplements have come a long way since creatine was the big new thing, but don't see how that's possible even with what is available these days

Bretsky
03-23-2009, 08:28 PM

I sure hope the Packers do not pick Andre Smith.I agree, he looks too much like Mark Tauscher and look at how that turned out :shock:

Tauscher minus the brain cells maybe. This guy had way more talent that Tausch on paper but he's shown himself to be immature up to this point. THat's not Tauscher like

Partial
03-23-2009, 08:52 PM
He's not at all like Tauscher. Tauscher is a UW grad who went on to get a master's. Smart dude. This guy is an effin' moron. Don't want him at all.

Joemailman
03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Plus, he doesn't look anything like Jack Black.

Lurker64
03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
As good as Tauscher has been for the Packers, he's a right tackle. You don't draft RTs with top 10 picks.

So even if you're sure that Andre Smith will be every bit as good as Tauscher was, he's probably still not good value at #9.