PDA

View Full Version : Would you be happy with Ted Thompson if. . .

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 05:04 PM
We all know prices get driven up in UFA. SB winning teams in recent history tend to draft well and then resign their own guys before UFA, allowing them to fit more talent under the cap and win championships.

Ted Thompson spent the last few years focusing on bringing in new talent He can either lock them up early to good deals or he let them get to UFA where he will either:

A. Overpay or
B. Lose the player in his prime and replace him with a cheap rookie that can't play yet.

Would you be happy with Ted Thompson if he sits with his thumb in his butt this whole season and deals most of the contracts after the season?

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
As everyone knows, I've been a pretty big supporter of Ted Thompson. The reason being, I thought he was avoiding the disaster that is UFA so he could use the leverage that comes with signing his own early. I theorize that over time, a team will be able to afford more talent than other teams because they have better contracts and therefor can continue to grow when most teams hit the cap.

Again, I thought he was a guy who was ready to pull the trigger when the time was right, but the time was not right because we had so few up and coming players and UFA is a disaster. Well, now the time is right. Let's see if he is what I thought he was or is exactly what many fear he is, a gun-shy coward.

Dylan McKay
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey Justin, I think some of these guys haven't really shown what their worth is yet. Jenings is a good player for two years, you know what you get with him. College and Spitz? Not only have they not reached their sopossed potential but we as fans, at least have no idea how much better they are going to get.

Gunakor
03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I think this one needs to be answered on a case by case basis.

Jennings is the only one that stands out to me as a must sign.

Guys like Kampman or Collins I can't be sure about yet because I haven't seen their transition to our new defense.

Colledge I can't be sure about because I don't know where he's finally gonna settle on that line and how effective he'll be at that position. Don't know if I'd make signing him a priority if he's going to be a guard, but if he plays tackle this year and proves to be better at tackle then I'd put more emphasis on signing him.

Clifton I wouldn't resign unless he proves he has a few more years left in the tank.

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Ted Thompson is a talent evaluator by trade. While you and I may not be sure of anyone but Jennings, Thompson should have a much better idea. He should have a better idea of the other players on the roster too, so he should know (after the draft and offseason program) what we have to a large extent and what would hurt us to live without.

I'm not asking if we are ready to make decisions on these players. I'm asking you if you think it's acceptable for our GM to not know what to do until it's too late, until the cost is too high to afford your own?

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 05:23 PM
For example, when Aaron Kampman was signed, there was about a 50/50 split saying "it might work out" and "he's not even close to an impact player, what a waste"

As it turns out, he really was that good, actually a ton better. We didn't know that, but Ted is paid to know that and has more information to go off of.

I'm not saying sign them all. I'm saying, "should Ted Thompson know enough to be able to take advantage of his leverage right now".

If you think he should have no clue, you should be happy if he does nothing. If you expect him to be good at his job, I think you should expect him to take advantage of an opportunity here.

Gunakor
03-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Ted Thompson is a talent evaluator by trade. While you and I may not be sure of anyone but Jennings, Thompson should have a much better idea. He should have a better idea of the other players on the roster too, so he should know (after the draft and offseason program) what we have to a large extent and what would hurt us to live without.

I'm not asking if we are ready to make decisions on these players. I'm asking you if you think it's acceptable for our GM to not know what to do until it's too late, until the cost is too high to afford your own?

I hear what you are saying JH, but especially on defense, even TT doesn't know. How could he, most of these guys haven't played a down in a 3-4 in their lives. He's never seen Kampy play rush OLB, and he's never seen Collins playing single high. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decides to sit on his defensive FA's to be to evaluate them in our new system. Last thing you wanna do is break the bank to resign a 3 time Pro Bowler like Aaron Kampman only to realize he doesn't fit your new defense. I'd rather pay too much for a guy that's gonna help my team than pay too much for a guy who isn't, and I'm not about to start gambling with the money that these guys make nowadays.

RashanGary
03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I understand that to a degree, gunakor..

As far as Collins, his job is really not that different. I have a feeling Collins and his agent are going to be stubborn pricks though. With him, I wouldn't mind using the franchise tag on if it got ugly and I wouldn't blame Thompson if it got ugly.

As far as Kampman, I can tell you this, "HE HAS VALUE". If he wants to get locked up early, then DO IT. I guarandamntee you'll get a 2nd round pick for him if he doesn't work out in your defense and you have him locked up to a good, fair contract.

Gunakor
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I understand that to a degree, gunakor..

As far as Collins, his job is really not that different. I have a feeling Collins and his agent are going to be stubborn pricks though. With him, I wouldn't mind using the franchise tag on if it got ugly and I wouldn't blame Thompson if it got ugly.

As far as Kampman, I can tell you this, "HE HAS VALUE". If he wants to get locked up early, then DO IT. I guarandamntee you'll get a 2nd round pick for him if he doesn't work out in your defense and you have him locked up to a good, fair contract.

Collins job is very much different now in the fact that he's in charge of the entire deep field now, rather than just his half that he was responsible in cover 2. Bigby is going to be spending most of his time in the box as run support. He's got the speed and athleticism to excel in single high, but its a different mentality. And if his head isn't in it, like the first 3 years of his career, it's not going to work.

As far as Kampman goes, it depends on how much guaranteed money he's looking for. Give him too much guaranteed and you can't trade him as easily if it doesn't work out. He's under contract, so I'd wait until the trade deadline and reevaluate then. If his value is greater in a trade, I'm certain even then we could get a 2nd round pick from a legit playoff contender looking for a pass rusher to put them in the drivers seat. Any hasty decisions in his case would be unwise IMO.

Fritz
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Actually, JH, here's what you seem to be asking: "Would you be happy with Ted Thompson if he sits with his thumb in his butt this whole season..."

If I meet him and he tries to shake my hand, no, I would not be happy if he does the above.

I think most agree that Jennings should be a priority, and the others, to different degrees, might require further evaluation given the new defense or uncertainty as to position (Colledge).

IF TT re-ups guys, I'm okay with that. I'd be comfortable. But I trust TT's judgment on such matters.

Bretsky
03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Actually, JH, here's what you seem to be asking: "Would you be happy with Ted Thompson if he sits with his thumb in his butt this whole season..."

If I meet him and he tries to shake my hand, no, I would not be happy if he does the above.

I think most agree that Jennings should be a priority, and the others, to different degrees, might require further evaluation given the new defense or uncertainty as to position (Colledge).

IF TT re-ups guys, I'm okay with that. I'd be comfortable. But I trust TT's judgment on such matters.

TT's buthole could get purty big seeing the thumb is there during free agency as well :lol:

SnakeLH2006
03-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Boy is this a retarded ass poll...2 options...really???

Snake goes the route of no vote. Jesus man. I only posted cuz you really need to work on your polls.