PDA

View Full Version : T.O. A No-Show for Bills' Voluntary Workouts

oregonpackfan
03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
T.O. did not report for the Bills' voluntary workouts yesterday. Historically, T.O. has always kept himself in shape during the off-season. He also has missed voluntary workouts with his previous teams.

That said, if I were trying to impress a new coach/employer, I would be doing all I could to involve myself with my new team. Maybe that is just me. What do you think?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090323/Bills-Owens/

Tarlam!
03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
T.O was never gonna attend those workouts. He has proven himself to be a hard enough worker to come into OTA's and TC fitter than most, so I wouldn't have a problem with his absence if I were his coach.

packers11
03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
T.O. doesn't need to go to these workouts to lift weights... He is a workout freak, and i'm sure the coaches know that... He's probably better off working out on his routine in his own environment...

The guy is a physical monster, he will be able to play the WR position for quite awhile, unlike Jerry Rice, and Marvin Harrison, age caught up with their frail frame... With T.O. he'll be able to play 2-3 more years just on keeping his body in such good shape...

Partial
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Not necessarily. The way those receivers run and jump, he easily could have a syndrome I like to refer to as "David Boston Joints", where the joints and ligaments simply cannot withstand the pounding from carrying so much weight with so much force for so long.

TO is a big guy. Not Boston sized, but he's been running hard and fast for a long time. Eventually, regardless of how good of shape he is in, it will catch up. It's almost better to be 200 pounds than 230 pounds imo as long as you can avoid the big hit.

red
03-24-2009, 12:15 PM
you would think he would want to get to know his new team mates

this just helps show that he doesn't give one shit about the team, only himself.

Guiness
03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Workouts aside, I think he'd show up just to introduce himself to his new teamates??? Isn't this his first opportunity to meet many of them?

Sure seems to be like he has no intention of changing, even a little. I think we all new that he wasn't going to provide veteran leadership in the changeroom, but at least acting a little bit like part of the team would've been nice.

Seems to me like he's just a mercenary here. Buffalo's going to do nothing special this year. He's going to show up, collect his $6mil and that's it.

Patler
03-24-2009, 12:47 PM
He has already managed to disappoint his new coach just a little. This from just before the start of their program:

Two weeks ago, coach Dick Jauron noted the 35-year-old Owens' previous history of not taking part in voluntary sessions with his past teams, but hoped the Bills would be an exception.

"My hope is that he's here," Jauron said. "He knows how important it is for us, particularly in his first year with us."

Even if he didn't stay long, it would have been a nice gesture to show up, spend a week or so with his new team mates and coaches, the training staff, equipment people, etc. Get introduced, learn a few names, etc. It's not a big deal, but would have been a very nice courtesy to extend to everyone associated with his new team.

When you are self-centered you just don't change.

bobblehead
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
T.O. doesn't need to go to these workouts to lift weights... He is a workout freak, and i'm sure the coaches know that... He's probably better off working out on his routine in his own environment...

The guy is a physical monster, he will be able to play the WR position for quite awhile, unlike Jerry Rice, and Marvin Harrison, age caught up with their frail frame... With T.O. he'll be able to play 2-3 more years just on keeping his body in such good shape...

Yea, that rice guy sure let age catch up with him. Get back to me when TO breaks ONE of Rices 700 or so NFL records. Or when he has a 1k season as late in life as Rice did.

MadtownPacker
03-24-2009, 05:09 PM

The guy is a physical monster, he will be able to play the WR position for quite awhile, unlike Jerry Rice, and Marvin Harrison, age caught up with their frail frame... With T.O. he'll be able to play 2-3 more years just on keeping his body in such good shape...owens would have to play more than half a decade to get to Rice. He is the reason owens is where he is today IMO. As few as there is, someone had to show owens his good habits like staying in shape.

cpk1994
03-24-2009, 05:24 PM
you would think he would want to get to know his new team mates

this just helps show that he doesn't give one shit about the team, only himself.I guess Chuck Woodson didn't give a shit about the Packers then, seeing as how he did the same thing when he first signed.

Tarlam!
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
I guess Chuck Woodson didn't give a shit about the Packers then, seeing as how he did the same thing when he first signed.

I think you'll find that CW didn't give a toss when he first signed. He admitted as much last season when he did turn up...

SnakeLH2006
03-26-2009, 12:42 AM
News Flash:

TO is a no-show for life in general.

Noodle
03-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Not showing up for pre-season workouts? Who the F does this guy think he is, Favre?

SnakeLH2006
03-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Not showing up for pre-season workouts? Who the F does this guy think he is, Favre?

yep....

Pugger
03-26-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm no fan of TO's but I heard he was absent because he received an award:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9378378/T.O.-gets-award-from-Alzheimer's-Association

DonHutson
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I think Coach Dick should be using this time to board up the windows and stock up on canned goods. This is the calm before the storm.

Guiness
03-26-2009, 12:13 PM
ok, so he was going to receive an award. Ceremony is over. Is he in camp now?

I doubt it

Tarlam!
03-27-2009, 02:34 AM
ok, so he was going to receive an award. Ceremony is over. Is he in camp now?

I doubt it

Your crystal ball seems to be working just fine, Guiness:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/26/to-will-show-up-for-mandatory-workouts/

T.O. will only show up to Bills’ mandatory workouts
Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Buffalo Bills, Dick Jauron, Terrell Owens, Trent Edwards

Terrell Owens is excited to be in Buffalo. But only when it’s mandatory.

Owens, who was honored at an Alzheimer’s Association gala Wednesday night in Washington D.C., said he will only participate in the Bills’ mandatory workouts, according to USA Today.

“I talked to coach (Dick) Jauron prior to the start of the workouts about that. Right now if there’s nothing mandatory that I have to be a part of, then I won’t intend to be there.”
Owens has reached out to Bills quarterback Trent Edwards and he’s anxious to build a good relationship. “We talked shortly after I signed and we exchanged text messages,” Owens said. “We’re looking forward to the upcoming season.”
The wide receiver, who signed a one-year contract with the Bills this month after being cut by the Cowboys, went on to say that he has never attended a voluntary workout during his NFL career and that he likes to do his own routine. Owens certainly has a history of being in top physical condition.