03-25-2009, 12:39 AM
TTT strikes; let's all meditate together

I think we're fine there
I think we're fine there
....etc

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/41797307.html

australianpackerbacker
03-25-2009, 04:51 AM
TT re-affirming what i was thinking about this year. We have all the talent we need already on our roster. Detractors will point to the change of scheme in defense as a reason we will fail, but football is still football no matter what scheme you play, and a slight defensive improvement over last years rank# is all that is required for this team to make it to the playoffs(barring last years injury catastrophe). Considering the amount of injuries we had last year on defence, its hard to believe we wont be better.

The only concern i have is whether McCarthy can take us all the way, in my opinion he has shown himself to be a bit overwhelmed in big game situations(i.e. NFC Championship game, Week 3 v Dallas). My main fear is that he has a bit too much Marty Schottenheimer in him. He seems to stop going with what works in an attempt to outsmart the other team(for eg. Bears at Packers '07), which has shown to backfire.

Packnut
03-25-2009, 07:54 AM
At first, I had that usual wanting to hurl feeling in my gut after reading anything Teddy says. However, I'm becoming used to the stupid things he says.

If you never draft for a need and you don't sign FA's, how the hell does a certain position ever get filled? Point is, at some point you have to draft for need and to say you don't is just ignorant.

To say we have no "glaring" holes is the dumbest statement a GM has EVER made. After 1.5 seasons of ZERO pass rush, a BLIND man can see we are weak at DE. After Pickett, we have NOTHING at NT. I would challenge ANYONE to look at the other 3-4 teams and show me a D-line weaker than ours right now, and please don't put Jenkins or Harrell in the mix. Neither has stayed healthy and I don't play the "may-be" game that others here seem to live for.

I'm not even going to get into the LB's. Not being able to cover or tackle was not a by-product of that idiot Sanders, but rather a lack of talent. But hell, I'll drink the kool-aid, forget what my eyes saw last season and believe Capers will walk on water and fix these guys.

However, if this clown of a GM does'nt pick at least 3 SOLID HEATHY SEMI-TALENTED defensive linemen in this draft, then he has no business leading the team we all love!

packrat
03-25-2009, 08:21 AM
It amazes me that anyone thinks TT is dumb enough to say what he really thinks! How would posters here react if he came out and said, "We suck at DE so my first three choices will be DE's in the draft, and I am going to trade Jennings because I won't have the money to sign him after I trade for Peters." While other GM's would love to know his plans, it would be like a used car dealer telling the truth about what his bottom line price for a junker is--he'd never sucker anybody. And, I'd rather have TT sucker the other GM's, rather than be suckered.

SkinBasket
03-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I think TT has definitely proven that he believes he owes the media nothing and nothing is what they're going to get and if they still want to interview him then nothing is what they're going to like.

His job is to build a team he has confidence in and he believes can win games on Sundays. If he says he doesn't have confidence in the team, he might as well do the press conference or interview with a "Fire Me" sign around his neck.

cpk1994
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
I think TT has definitely proven that he believes he owes the media nothing and nothing is what they're going to get and if they still want to interview him then nothing is what they're going to like.

His job is to build a team he has confidence in and he believes can win games on Sundays. If he says he doesn't have confidence in the team, he might as well do the press conference or interview with a "Fire Me" sign around his neck.Exactly. It just shows how gullible people are that they automatically take what he says as truth. TT would have to be the biggest idiot on the planet to say his team sucks.

Dylan McKay
03-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Thompson has very little in terms of savy or personal persona in front of the media. I think this is hurting him now, and it could also be a significant reason for him getting let go. He is not snotty with the media like the guy in New England, but he sure doesn't warm any hearts with goofy stare into the camera.

He is a decent evaluator of talent, but I still don't think he has built a team, just evaluated talent.

cpk1994
03-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Thompson has very little in terms of savy or personal persona in front of the media. I think this is hurting him now, and it could also be a significant reason for him getting let go. He is not snotty with the media like the guy in New England, but he sure doesn't warm any hearts with goofy stare into the camera.

He is a decent evaluator of talent, but I still don't think he has built a team, just evaluated talent.If/When he is let go, It won't be becuase fo what he does in front of the camera. Its the results on the field. Who the hell cares how he does on camera or how he treats the media? If the media don't like it, that is their problem.

Dylan McKay
03-25-2009, 08:50 AM

He is a decent evaluator of talent, but I still don't think he has built a team, just evaluated talent.If/When he is let go, It won't be becuase fo what he does in front of the camera. Its the results on the field. Who the hell cares how he does on camera or how he treats the media? If the media don't like it, that is their problem.

Case "A", Matt Millen was a horrible GM, but how did he keep his job for so long? Of course he was good friends with the owners, but also people were still actually believing in this guy. He made people believe that he was building a winner, doing everything he can for the franchise. He covered his ass for all of his screw ups the best way he could.

Thompson hasn't and will never make that many mistakes as Millen, but you wouldn't know it talking to a good number of people in Wisconsin. His mistakes get electrified because he can't or won't use the media to his benefit.

cpk1994
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Case "A", Matt Millen was a horrible GM, but how did he keep his job for so long?BEcuase the owners are retards. It had nothing to do with the media and wheter they believed in Millen. The owners were too stupid to see what was right in front of them. Even the media figured that out. TT will get fired if results aren't made. He won't get fired becuase of what he does in front of a camera.

wist43
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM

His job is to build a team he has confidence in and he believes can win games on Sundays. If he says he doesn't have confidence in the team, he might as well do the press conference or interview with a "Fire Me" sign around his neck.Exactly. It just shows how gullible people are that they automatically take what he says as truth. TT would have to be the biggest idiot on the planet to say his team sucks.

So you're saying the team does, in fact, suck... and that TT is smart enough to know that, but also smart enough to deny it publicly???

Myself, I actually believe Ted when he says he likes his team the way it is...

cheesner
03-25-2009, 09:38 AM

So you're saying the team does, in fact, suck... and that TT is smart enough to know that, but also smart enough to deny it publicly???

Myself, I actually believe Ted when he says he likes his team the way it is...I don't read that in his post.

Really now - what do you expect TT to say? I don't think I have heard even Millen say anything like 'we stink at DE and CB so that is where we will concentrate our draft around'. Even Millen was smarter than that.

3irty1
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I kind of agree. Defensive line backups and depth isn't what I'd call glaring need.

SkinBasket
03-25-2009, 09:57 AM

He is a decent evaluator of talent, but I still don't think he has built a team, just evaluated talent.

I agree with the evaluator assessment. The Holmgrens of the world have seen to it that guys who perhaps only exceed in one facet of their job have been able to gain higher positions than perhaps they should. At this point, I think in a perfect world, Ted would run the draft and contribute to FA decisions (talent wise). Someone else with a more well rounded skills across the board would helm the GM role. But right now, I'm still not convinced that another GM out there would make the team better right now.

Patler
03-25-2009, 10:15 AM
At this point, I think in a perfect world, Ted would run the draft and contribute to FA decisions (talent wise). Someone else with a more well rounded skills across the board would helm the GM role.

In what aspects of the GM role do you believe TT is lacking? Anything other than his presence in front of the media? What skills would this well rounded individual have that TT does not (other than PR skills)?

Partial
03-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I kind of agree. Defensive line backups and depth isn't what I'd call glaring need.

Are you effin' kidding me? Is this some kind of a joke?

sharpe1027
03-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Why on earth would you want a GM to call out positions of need to the media? That directly implicates the current players on the roster. He might as well start naming players. Great idea. :roll:

Look, the guy could have said something better. Maybe some people are looking for a politician who makes us feel all warm and cozy when he speaks to the media. Frankly, I don't care about his media presence.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 10:38 AM

How is his goofy stare into the camera hurting him now? He doesn't owe the fans an explaination as to what direction he's looking. Any details he gives in front of a camera will be heard by everyone. Not just us Packer fans, but also other NFL teams who might use that info to get a jump on a specific player or prospect that we might be looking at ourselves. That goofy stare into the camera is exactly what I'd hope to expect. The fans don't need to know any specifics anyway.

As far as the statement itself, I tend to agree with him. The roster right now is not that different than the one that finished 13-3 a couple years ago and hosted the NFC Championship game. "Well how'd they go from 13-3 to 6-10 in one season if it was the same team?" The roster was the same, but due to injury it was a different team on the field. We now have a different strength coach, one with a reputation for keeping guys healthy and in shape. Assuming these guys stay relatively healthy and on the field, I don't see much problem at all with the guys we have already. And assuming that a couple might still go down with injury, I have no problem with TT drafting for depth. I just don't think we need new starters. I like the ones we have.

The Shadow
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
It's amazing that a few select posters are infuriated that we have a general manager with enough confidence and smarts to not constantly blab about plans. No, friends, the GM does not have to reveal all to you.
Deal with it.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 10:41 AM

How did we go from 13-3 to 6-10 in just one season? Injuries. A litany of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Devastating injuries to key starters that dramatically reduced the effectiveness of our defense.

If you ask me, depth is an EXTREMELY glaring need right now.

RashanGary
03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I think the anger toward TT comes from reading comprehension problems. He never said he was completely satisfied with the team. He did say there were no glaring holes in the starting lineup. I think that is accurate. Poppinga, Wells, Jenkins, Jolly, Bigby are really not horrible. They are our worst starters, but they are not "glaring needs to be replaced".

Now, if he came out and said he likes the team just how it is and plans to do nothing to upgrade it, well, that would be a problem. Judging by the tone of some here, that is what they read, and that is scary.

RashanGary
03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
You read the history of man and you think, "boy, we've come such a long way. We understand so much and have learned from the errors of our ways".

The Salem witch trials, for example, stemmed from fear and a lack of knowledge. People did not know what they didn't know and rather than staying level headed, it was easier to assume what they wanted to believe as truth and some pretty nasty witch hunts occurred to good people.

Now, how many hundreds of years later, we're still foolishly arrogant and ignorant enough to fear and dislike what we do not understand. It's scary. Obviously it's on a different level, but that same ignorance and baseless arrogance is still present in people today.

Freak Out
03-25-2009, 11:27 AM
You read the history of man and you think, "boy, we've come such a long way. We understand so much and have learned from the errors of our ways".

The Salem witch trials, for example, stemmed from fear and a lack of knowledge. People did not know what they didn't know and rather than staying level headed, it was easier to assume what they wanted to believe as truth and some pretty nasty witch hunts occurred to good people.

Now, how many hundreds of years later, we're still foolishly arrogant and ignorant enough to fear and dislike what we do not understand. It's scary. Obviously it's on a different level, but that same ignorance and baseless arrogance is still present in people today.

Some do believe TT needs to be drowned or burned at the stake but that is the only correlation between the Packers GM and the fucking Salem Witch trials.

Dylan McKay
03-25-2009, 11:32 AM

How is his goofy stare into the camera hurting him now? He doesn't owe the fans an explaination as to what direction he's looking. Any details he gives in front of a camera will be heard by everyone. Not just us Packer fans, but also other NFL teams who might use that info to get a jump on a specific player or prospect that we might be looking at ourselves. That goofy stare into the camera is exactly what I'd hope to expect. The fans don't need to know any specifics anyway.

As far as the statement itself, I tend to agree with him. The roster right now is not that different than the one that finished 13-3 a couple years ago and hosted the NFC Championship game. "Well how'd they go from 13-3 to 6-10 in one season if it was the same team?" The roster was the same, but due to injury it was a different team on the field. We now have a different strength coach, one with a reputation for keeping guys healthy and in shape. Assuming these guys stay relatively healthy and on the field, I don't see much problem at all with the guys we have already. And assuming that a couple might still go down with injury, I have no problem with TT drafting for depth. I just don't think we need new starters. I like the ones we have.

This for the most part is just foolishness, sorry but injuries are pretty much luck. The Packers in 2007 had the same strength coach and they got by just fine, in 2008 the injury bug hit. I can't honestly sit here and blame the strength coach, for one nobody from the Packers came out and blamed him specifically.

I am not asking for specifics from Thompson, I would hope I am smarter than that, but maybe a little insight on why these positions are "ok". Because I am not thinking these positions are "ok". A sentence or two to back up these statements is all I ask. If I just turned in a paper in my History class stating that Eisenhower was a good president and didn't care to back it up, I think I would get an "F" on that paper. I want to know How Poppinga is going to be better, or Hawk, or how Barnett is doing with his recovery, otherwise crawl back in your cave and turn the projector back on, stop wasting your time, and ours by filling our newspaper with drivel that I can get from watching soap operas all damn day.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 11:45 AM

This for the most part is just foolishness, sorry but injuries are pretty much luck. The Packers in 2007 had the same strength coach and they got by just fine, in 2008 the injury bug hit. I can't honestly sit here and blame the strength coach, for one nobody from the Packers came out and blamed him specifically.

I am not asking for specifics from Thompson, I would hope I am smarter than that, but maybe a little insight on why these positions are "ok". Because I am not thinking these positions are "ok". A sentence or two to back up these statements is all I ask. If I just turned in a paper in my History class stating that Eisenhower was a good president and didn't care to back it up, I think I would get an "F" on that paper. I want to know How Poppinga is going to be better, or Hawk, or how Barnett is doing with his recovery, otherwise crawl back in your cave and turn the projector back on, stop wasting your time, and ours by filling our newspaper with drivel that I can get from watching soap operas all damn day.

Dylan, it doesn't matter what you think. That's the point. It only matters what HE thinks, and he doesn't have to divulge that information to you. How is telling you and I how everyone's rehab or development is coming along going to help this team win more games next year?

"If I just turned in a paper in my History class stating that Eisenhower was a good president and didn't care to back it up, I think I would get an "F" on that paper."

Yes you probably would. But you'd be handing that paper in to your teacher, the only person in the world whose final grade of that paper even matters. We fans are not TT's teacher, and our grade of TT doesn't matter one bit. You are under the assumption that TT owes us fans something that he really doesn't owe anybody outside the organization itself.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM

Why was the Rock fired then? It certainly wasn't because they felt he was better than the guy they hired in his place...

Rastak
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM

Why was the Rock fired then? It certainly wasn't because they felt he was better than the guy they hired in his place...

Why was Rock immediately hired by someone else? Why did McCarthy talk him up when he hired him? It wasn't because he bad at what he does I would guess.

3irty1
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Are you effin' kidding me? Is this some kind of a joke?

I'm not saying there's not room for improvement but the starting lineup is more solidified than many teams. There's no reason to have grim expectations with the current roster.

Dylan McKay
03-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Dylan, it doesn't matter what you think. That's the point. It only matters what HE thinks, and he doesn't have to divulge that information to you. How is telling you and I how everyone's rehab or development is coming along going to help this team win more games next year?

"If I just turned in a paper in my History class stating that Eisenhower was a good president and didn't care to back it up, I think I would get an "F" on that paper."

Yes you probably would. But you'd be handing that paper in to your teacher, the only person in the world whose final grade of that paper even matters. We fans are not TT's teacher, and our grade of TT doesn't matter one bit. You are under the assumption that TT owes us fans something that he really doesn't owe anybody outside the organization itself.

I guess we just differ on the issue than. I believe a hat of the GM is to connect to the fans, he is the leader of the football part of this organization, I guess in a town like Green Bay he doesn't have to worry about fans showing up, but if he was anywhere else I would suppose a more confident show of support for the football organization would be required.

but we disagree, I got that no need to keep arguing about it.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Why was Rock immediately hired by someone else? Why did McCarthy talk him up when he hired him? It wasn't because he bad at what he does I would guess.

You miss the point. I'm not arguing that Rock was bad. Not at all. I'm arguing that the guy we got in his place is percieved to be better, and that really can't be argued at all. If they didn't think that Redding was better than Rock, why would they not have just kept Rock? They made this move because in their estimation it will translate to better health of their players, which will lead to more efficient play on the field. How can anyone argue that?

SkinBasket
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
At this point, I think in a perfect world, Ted would run the draft and contribute to FA decisions (talent wise). Someone else with a more well rounded skills across the board would helm the GM role.

In what aspects of the GM role do you believe TT is lacking? Anything other than his presence in front of the media? What skills would this well rounded individual have that TT does not (other than PR skills)?

Well I did add that I don't believe there is a guy out there that would be an upgrade right now. But to your question, I guess he could probably be better with player communication. I cringe saying that since I don't believe in it, but apparently the players do. I would have liked someone who acted sooner on coaching deficiencies in the organization. As much as I don't buy into FA as a way to build a team, he could probably use a little more outside input in that area as well.

Like I said, in a perfect world. In this world, I believe he's doing about as good of a job as he can, minus the inevitable bad decision here and there, and I don't think there's anyone out there I would dump him for.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I've been saying all along, the Packers have no pressing needs at all, very few even classified as "needs". I also said, Thompson and McCarthy seem to feel that way too, and I'm very comfortable being in lockstep with the two of them, even if a bunch of media and forum know-nothings have other ideas.

wist43
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Depends on what you define as "need"...

They have 80 guys on the roster, a slew of them are listed as LB's, a bunch of them as DE's... from that standpoint, we're covered, we can field a team.

I certainly am not happy with the starting lineup though, although most of the starting lineup is, in fact, comprised of NFL calibur players. The problem is, with the exception of Jennings, none of them are difference makers/play makers. We don't have a single guy on defense that an offensive coordinator has to account for.

Can Hawk start for another team??? Of course... is he going to win you games??? No.

And so goes the whole roster... so from that standpoint, I think we have a lot of "needs". Signing the Michael Montgomery's of the world isn't going to do anything to get us to the SB.

cpk1994
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I think the anger toward TT comes from reading comprehension problems. He never said he was completely satisfied with the team. He did say there were no glaring holes in the starting lineup. I think that is accurate. Poppinga, Wells, Jenkins, Jolly, Bigby are really not horrible. They are our worst starters, but they are not "glaring needs to be replaced".

Now, if he came out and said he likes the team just how it is and plans to do nothing to upgrade it, well, that would be a problem. Judging by the tone of some here, that is what they read, and that is scary.You basically read it based on your opinion of him. Those that like TT or don't have a problem with him see it the way you have explained in the first paragraph. Those who hate TT see it like your second paragraph. I happen to agree with your first paragraph.

Waldo
03-25-2009, 12:28 PM

You miss the point. I'm not arguing that Rock was bad. Not at all. I'm arguing that the guy we got in his place is percieved to be better, and that really can't be argued at all. If they didn't think that Redding was better than Rock, why would they not have just kept Rock? They made this move because in their estimation it will translate to better health of their players, which will lead to more efficient play on the field. How can anyone argue that?

The Rock had his good and bad points.

He committed the ultimate sin though for a S&C coach, he has a major injury in his weight room on his watch. That IMO is close to a firable offense in itself.

The Rock was a lifting weight room guy, the harder you work, the better you are. He was great at building bodies, packing on muscles, and making guys strong. Every year there were guys that had huge gains.

He was perfect for the young team of the '06-'07 seasons, but his approach has limitations, and that was apparent this last year. He was not right for an exceptionally hungry team.

After being so close in '07, last year the offseason participation was unprecedented and guys gave it their all for that next step. His biggest flaw was not putting a damper on that, in fact going further and helping it along. He allowed and encouraged guys to overtrain, and the hunger after the '07 season led to a lot of overtraining. And that showed itself during the regular season.

I think that MM saw the limitations of the Rock's approach. Great for developing guys, but not so great for an exceptionally hungry team.

That combined with his big sin led to his ouster. Redding's approach is totally different. Avoiding overtraining as much as possible. We're probably not going to see the big gains in some of the young guys anymore, but hopefully we see a team that can sustain physical play longer, and see fewer overtraining injuries.

Fritz
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I trust TT.

cpk1994
03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I trust TT.We just need to look at your avatar to know that. :lol:

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 12:50 PM
We don't have a single guy on defense that an offensive coordinator has to account for.

There's that Aaron Kampman guy that OC's have had to gameplan for a tad. And our two CB's, Al Harris and Charles Woodson, are two guys that you have to plan around. You really don't wanna throw at either very often.

I think if you made this statement to an actual NFL OC you'd be laughed at.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Signing the Michael Montgomery's of the world isn't going to do anything to get us to the SB.

No, but you need depth. Every team has a Michael Montgomery on their roster. Monty wasn't signed to be a starter. If it comes to that point that we need Monty to start a significant amount of games for us, we aren't going to win a SB anyway. But we gotta sign someone to play the position if the guy in front of him gets injured.

cheesner
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
The Rock had his good and bad points.

He committed the ultimate sin though for a S&C coach, he has a major injury in his weight room on his watch. That IMO is close to a firable offense in itself.

The Rock was a lifting weight room guy, the harder you work, the better you are. He was great at building bodies, packing on muscles, and making guys strong. Every year there were guys that had huge gains.

He was perfect for the young team of the '06-'07 seasons, but his approach has limitations, and that was apparent this last year. He was not right for an exceptionally hungry team.

After being so close in '07, last year the offseason participation was unprecedented and guys gave it their all for that next step. His biggest flaw was not putting a damper on that, in fact going further and helping it along. He allowed and encouraged guys to overtrain, and the hunger after the '07 season led to a lot of overtraining. And that showed itself during the regular season.

I think that MM saw the limitations of the Rock's approach. Great for developing guys, but not so great for an exceptionally hungry team.

That combined with his big sin led to his ouster. Redding's approach is totally different. Avoiding overtraining as much as possible. We're probably not going to see the big gains in some of the young guys anymore, but hopefully we see a team that can sustain physical play longer, and see fewer overtraining injuries.
I have heard MM refer to 'atmosphere' regarding the training room. My take on the phrasing being used is there was a personality conflict between Rock and the players or the coaches. This conflict was interfering with the effectiveness of the program. Doesn't mean the Rock didn't know what he was doing, just that I think he may have been too 'old school' for some of the players. The new guy has been around even longer, notwithstanding, he still seems more flexible and more of a 'work with you' kind of attitude whereas Rock seemed more 'in your face shame you to do the work' type.

Brandon494
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Wow talk about overracting. Its TT being TT, giving the media as little information as possible. You really think he is going to start telling the media what is going on behind close doors? Give me a break, this guy knows what he is doing by leaving the fans and other GMs in the dark about what his plans are. The **** is chess, not checkers.

Brandon494
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
BTW some of you need to stop acting like this isnt pretty much the same team that was a play away from going to the SB alittle over a year ago. Injuries had A LOT to do with our record last season, not the freaking talent.

Waldo
03-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Really, my take was that it was that it had gotten away from being football training and was more of a powerlifting weight room.

Other nuggets I've picked up were that there were lots of little contests and peer pressure to to go at it harder than the next guy, which was something the Rock encouraged, not discouraged.

cheesner
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow talk about overracting. Its TT being TT, giving the media as little information as possible. You really think he is going to start telling the media what is going on behind close doors? Give me a break, this guy knows what he is doing by leaving the fans and other GMs in the dark about what his plans are. The **** is chess, not checkers.

Reporter: So TT, what are your teams weaknesses?

TT: Well, OT. Clifton is deteriorating rapidly, Taush's injury is worse than we thought and he will miss next year, we won't resign him, our top backups Moll and Bruno are both going to have surgery next month, and moving Colledge over we decided was a bad idea, his ideal position is at Guard. We haven't signed a single FA, so we need to get two OTs with our first 2 picks.

Every GM in the NFL who needs an OT: hmmmm, I think I will trade up to get in front of GB to get an OT.

Every GM in the NFL who doesn't need an OT: hmmmm, the Packers are going to need to trade up because (see 'Every GM in the NFL who needs an OT' above), if TT calls on draft day, I will be able to up the price because they are desperate.

Matt Millen (behind a counter in some 7-11 somewhere in CA): hmmmm, I'm not even that stupid.

cheesner
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Really, my take was that it was that it had gotten away from being football training and was more of a powerlifting weight room.

Other nuggets I've picked up were that there were lots of little contests and peer pressure to to go at it harder than the next guy, which was something the Rock encouraged, not discouraged.That would explain 'atmosphere' problems also.

gex
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

WHAT! If it wasn't for those fine folks back then nipping our little witch problem in the bud, the witchs would have ruled the world by now. :D

wist43
03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
We don't have a single guy on defense that an offensive coordinator has to account for.

There's that Aaron Kampman guy that OC's have had to gameplan for a tad. And our two CB's, Al Harris and Charles Woodson, are two guys that you have to plan around. You really don't wanna throw at either very often.

Kamp, yeah to a certain extent; but he puts up great numbers on hustle and technique... it's not like he beats RT's around the corner on a regular basis; and Woodson and Harris are pretty good, but declining.

We should have been the #1 D in the league if you go by the consensus on this board... would have won it all if not for those pesky injuries :roll:

KYPack
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Other nuggets I've picked up were that there were lots of little contests and peer pressure to to go at it harder than the next guy, which was something the Rock encouraged, not discouraged.

Yeah, Waldo, I caught the same ideas.

Here are some quotes from Redding after he took over...

""I don't care what they can max out at," he said. "I don't care what they can do 10 times at a max load. I'm here to weight train them to make them better football players.

"This is not about how much we lift. It's about how healthy we can stay and how well we can play throughout the year. The win and loss column is all there is for me."

That pretty well jibes with the "football players, not muscle-heads" theory.

I saw Redding's Chargers come into Cincy for an opening game 6-7 years ago. The Chargers were obviously a lot stronger and in MUCH better CV shape than the Bengals. The game was 35-0 IIRC. Marty S was very complimentary of Redding and his job of getting his team in shape.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Case "A", Matt Millen was a horrible GM, but how did he keep his job for so long? Of course he was good friends with the owners, but also people were still actually believing in this guy. He made people believe that he was building a winner, doing everything he can for the franchise. He covered his ass for all of his screw ups the best way he could.

Thompson hasn't and will never make that many mistakes as Millen, but you wouldn't know it talking to a good number of people in Wisconsin. His mistakes get electrified because he can't or won't use the media to his benefit.

This is the biggest bunch of bs i've ever read. Nobody believed in Millen. The only reason he kept his job was his close relationship with the owner. His son couldn't even get him fired when he wanted to do it.

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2009, 06:29 PM

How did we go from 13-3 to 6-10 in just one season? Injuries. A litany of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. Devastating injuries to key starters that dramatically reduced the effectiveness of our defense.

I respectfully disagree.

If depth is a "glaring need" then basically every team in the NFL has that glaring need.

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Kamp, yeah to a certain extent; but he puts up great numbers on hustle and technique... it's not like he beats RT's around the corner on a regular basis; and Woodson and Harris are pretty good, but declining.

We should have been the #1 D in the league if you go by the consensus on this board... would have won it all if not for those pesky injuries :roll:

Almost did the year before, remember, when we didn't have those pesky injuries 8-)

Gunakor
03-25-2009, 07:10 PM

I respectfully disagree.

If depth is a "glaring need" then basically every team in the NFL has that glaring need.

I respectfully agree. That's why each team participates in the draft. I never said it was a need we had that other teams didn't.

Bretsky
03-25-2009, 07:43 PM
BTW some of you need to stop acting like this isnt pretty much the same team that was a play away from going to the SB alittle over a year ago. Injuries had A LOT to do with our record last season, not the freaking talent.

Injuried Schminjuries :lol:

It was year one of Da Curse

Tyrone Bigguns
03-25-2009, 08:02 PM

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully agree. That's why each team participates in the draft. I never said it was a need we had that other teams didn't.

Then, it isn't really a glaring need.

Glaring needs are for starters.

The Shadow
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM

No, we got a 3rd round pick for sending it to the Jets.

bobblehead
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
To say we have no "glaring" holes is the dumbest statement a GM has EVER made. After 1.5 seasons of ZERO pass rush, a BLIND man can see we are weak at DE. After Pickett, we have NOTHING at NT. I would challenge ANYONE to look at the other 3-4 teams and show me a D-line weaker than ours right now, and please don't put Jenkins or Harrell in the mix. Neither has stayed healthy and I don't play the "may-be" game that others here seem to live for.

Just curious. If you are going to hand select a starter and a potential starter that I don't get to include and then try and compare them to other 3-4 teams do I get to eliminate 2 DE's from their roster before I make the comparison?? I mean, its only fair.

Bretsky
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM

No, we got a 3rd round pick for sending it to the Jets.

sure; worked out great year one. Hopefully we'll overcome the curse in the future; another 12 draft picks won't hurt this year. You know the old saying.............if you throw enough shit against a wall..........

SnakeLH2006
03-26-2009, 12:08 AM

Myself, I actually believe Ted when he says he likes his team the way it is...

CPK for GM I tell ya. :shock:

<<Snake shoots himself in head.

Sorry...bad dream.... :lol: