PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if the packers drafted Ahmad Brooks??

The_Dude
07-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Been thinking about this and I'm really torn about this. The only way we would get him is by using a 3rd or 4th (god forbid a 1st or 2nd) round pick tomorrow. He is a tremendous talent and has all the POTENTIAL to be a great LB. We have a need for a SLB or even the debate of moving Barnett to the outside can begin again. But then I think why, why would we do that. We have a very talented LB corps already with Taylor, Barnett, Hawk and Hodge, also Poppinga as well. If we do grab him, he better turn out because you can be people will be seeing what we could have had instead of him next draft. If he does turn out to be good, then we have an amazing Lb Corps, young and extremly fast. If not, another wasted pick.

MadtownPacker
07-12-2006, 07:49 PM
We have a very talented LB corps already with Taylor, Barnett, Hawk and Hodge, also Poppinga as well.
wWelcome to PR Dude.

The sentence above is why I doubt it will happen. TT needs to work on the O right now and get another solid WR.

Fosco33
07-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Here's an avatar of the real Dude. I met him at LebowskiFest this year.

Just open the link, save it to your desktop and load it onto your profile if you want this as your picture. Enjoy!

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/23/The_Dude.jpg

Deputy Nutz
07-12-2006, 07:56 PM
I think if you can get a talent like brooks in the 3rd or 4th round you have to go for it.

He will most likely be a threat coming off the edge in passing downs. I think his days as a midldle linebacker might be numbered. But where ever he plays he certainly has a talent that you can't teach. He sort of reminds me of a LT.

OS PA
07-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I think if you can get a talent like brooks in the 3rd or 4th round you have to go for it.

He will most likely be a threat coming off the edge in passing downs. I think his days as a midldle linebacker might be numbered. But where ever he plays he certainly has a talent that you can't teach. He sort of reminds me of a LT.

He will be one of the steals of this year I believe. I think that his bad days are behind him, the kid dropped 30 lbs in a few weeks to get in shape for his try-out. He has a nasty mean streak and is known for dominating people. He was going to be a top 5 pick in 2005, but didn't declare, and couldn't declare this year.

I would love to see him as a project end. He has the strength and weight to power tackles, just needs more height (sadly that won't happen). He'd also be an instant upgrade on Special Teams over any player we have. Brooks, Poppinga, and Underwood wouldn't allow a returner past the 20.

Another thing is if we find a use for him on the end he could double as a back-up at all three LB positions.

I'm sorry for rambling here, I just think if he is available come the 3rd round he is too big a steal to leave hanging.

The_Dude
07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
What would you do if TT used a 2nd round on Brooks?? Me, I'd have to wait at least till next year to see if it was a good decision. Does anyone remember what people thought of Sherman when he used a 2nd round Supplemental draft pick on Whale??

I think he would be an amazing OLB in a 3-4 defense (has the same build as Terrell Suggs) but could be just as good as a OLB in a 4-3 and perhaps a Pass rushing DE on passing downs. Imagine that line up. Brooks and KGB on the outside and move Kampman inside with Jenkins. Talk about a speed rushing front 4

OS PA
07-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Brooks and KGB on the outside and move Kampman inside with Jenkins. Talk about a speed rushing front 4

I'd actually do this

RE - KGB
LE - Brooks
DT - Peterson
DT - Jenkins

With this we'd have 3 or 4 rested rushers every 3rd down pass play.

AKfaust
07-13-2006, 01:42 AM
Gotta have the D to win it all. Go for it.

StPaulPackFan
07-13-2006, 07:04 AM
What would you do if TT used a 2nd round on Brooks?? Me, I'd have to wait at least till next year to see if it was a good decision. Does anyone remember what people thought of Sherman when he used a 2nd round Supplemental draft pick on Whale??

Actually, I believe Ron Wolf picked him. But I do remember how dissappointing he was in his first year at Tackle. At that point it looked like a wasted pick. Fortunately he blossomed into a high quality Guard.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Here's an avatar of the real Dude. I met him at LebowskiFest this year.

Just open the link, save it to your desktop and load it onto your profile if you want this as your picture. Enjoy!

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/23/The_Dude.jpg

You bugger ! :mrgreen:

PackerPro42
07-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Brooks is actually 6-4.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Wolf too Clifton

I'd have no problem if GB took Ahmad Brooks. What we have to remember is TT is conservative. He won't take a flyer on this guy unless he thinks he's getting good value out of that draft pick.

That probably means round 3 or maybe even 4.
My guess is a very good team rolls the dice with him in round 2.

Heck, the Steelers aka the top tier teams will not find a guy with this kind of talent at the end of round two, and they also have the ability to groom him along slowly.

Spaulding
07-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I gotta go 3rd round as in other years this would almost be a 2nd for us due to our high draft position in the supplemental this year. His negatives (attitude/maturity, weight, etc.) obviously drop him from the first and although some team might take a flyer on him in the 2nd I'd be surprised. His upside although high (speed, strength, mean streak/competitiveness) isn't a position we any longer have a strong need and he's started he dropped the weight because he didn't want to play on the line.

With us already likely being set at LB for the future (you could make a case for Brooks moving to SAM but that would then mean Poppinga and Hodge would essentially be wasted picks other than for depth and they were taken too high for that) I just don't see ANY chance we take this guy unless he somehow drops to the 5th.

Personally, I'd rather see us take a flyer on Berryman in the 7th and try to groom him or Tollefson to replace KGB next year if he doesn't restructure his contract.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Too many things shout NO !

"Brooks reminds me in many ways of Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, as he possesses a similarly rare combination of size, speed and athletic ability. Brooks has the potential to play inside or outside linebacker in the NFL and can also be effective when turned loose off the edge on obvious passing downs. Unfortunately, Brooks has some major "red flags" as a pro prospect, including character, work ethic and durability. In our opinion, Brooks is too risky to consider in the first round but too talented to pass up in the third round. "

With 9 more draft picks to ink, and the Conservative ways of TT we won't budge today, but if we do.

I'm intrigued by the prospect to bring in . . . FB A. Hall, but he still has 2 more years to go with his hitch, and that would make him 28 year's old when he's available to us. Maybe I'm missing something here and he can come to us sooner? I really don't see that happening either.

The Packers don't make a move in this Supplementle draft. We need too much on Offence, and we need experience at WR and Guard (and at RB). Big time !

Willard
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
If I am TT I am very nervous in two areas: RB and QB pressure. I would go for Brooks' in the 3rd if I projected he could be a starting pass rusher in the NFL. Is he a much better prospect in this role than a longshot like Jason Hunter? Does he project to be at least as good as KGB? If so, I go for him. If I think he truly is best suited as a NFL LB I pass, not because he won't be good, but because I can't afford to give up another pick for that position with so many other holes left to fill.

(By the way if I am TT I am also damn nervous about OG and QB, but I made that bed and now I gotta sleep in it and hope for the best).

Fosco33
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Hall, a former Marine who opened scouts' eyes with an impressive all-around workout in late March (including 40 times in the 4.5 range at nearly 235 pounds), could get a late-round call. The two will, at the very least, be signed as free agents after the draft. Both the Green Bay Packers and Tennessee Titans have spent quality time evaluating Hall's talents.

Connecticut offensive tackle Craig Berry (6-5, 320), who was expected to compete for the Huskies' starting right tackle job this season, possess good natural size, but they are raw and inexperienced. Berry – the last of the supplemental draft prospects to earn "special" eligibility – could receive a free-agent offer from a team like the Green Bay Packers, whose scouting director, John Dorsey, was a standout linebacker at UConn.

-- yahoo sports

Partial
07-13-2006, 11:11 AM
I would be ecstatic if they drafted Brooks. He is a good player. Not a team leader like AJ Hawk, but a very good player. He'll be a julian peterson.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Hall, a former Marine who opened scouts' eyes with an impressive all-around workout in late March (including 40 times in the 4.5 range at nearly 235 pounds), could get a late-round call. The two will, at the very least, be signed as free agents after the draft. Both the Green Bay Packers and Tennessee Titans have spent quality time evaluating Hall's talents.

Connecticut offensive tackle Craig Berry (6-5, 320), who was expected to compete for the Huskies' starting right tackle job this season, possess good natural size, but they are raw and inexperienced. Berry – the last of the supplemental draft prospects to earn "special" eligibility – could receive a free-agent offer from a team like the Green Bay Packers, whose scouting director, John Dorsey, was a standout linebacker at UConn.

Look at the size on that fella.

OT Craig Berry (6-5, 320), but does he fit the ZBS with that size ?

Then. . . there are those word's . . . . RAW and INEXPERIENCED !

-- yahoo sports

wist43
07-13-2006, 11:30 AM
The Packers at least appear to have interest in Brooks in that he was personally interviewed by both Dorsey and McKenzie - and, in one of his recent workouts, it was Dorsey who conducted it.

For what that's worth, I don't think they'd go to all that trouble unless they were seriously looking at him.

In the end, however, I don't think they make a move today.

MJZiggy
07-13-2006, 11:41 AM

Actually, I believe Ron Wolf picked him. But I do remember how dissappointing he was in his first year at Tackle. At that point it looked like a wasted pick. Fortunately he blossomed into a high quality Guard.

Welcome to the forum StPaulPackFan. Wonder if one of the new kids will blossom soon?

gureski
07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
My fingers are crossed for Hall. We need a young FB for the future and you don't want to have to grab a guy and jam him into the line up right away. Taking Hall while we still have Henderson allows the team to slowly groom Hall for the job.

The military thing will work itself out. There are ways to work that. Another Packer did it not that long ago. Was it Bob Kuberski, I think? He was drafted with some military committments left on him and he got to play.

At 5-10¾, 232 pounds. He ran his 40s in 4.53 and 4.55 and also had a 35-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-9 long jump, 4.20 short shuttle, 7.21 three-cone drill and 24 bench presses.

Sounds like a nice talent to take a late round flyer on.

wist43
07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
FB is probably the least valuable position on a team... even the kicker and punter have more value. Henderson has been a great player all these years; but, in the end, he's still just a FB.

Besides, Leach has shown enough to suggest that he can get it done.

gureski
07-13-2006, 12:30 PM
So, if you were warped back in time to the year W.Henderson was drafted and were put in a situation where W.Henderson was in that years Supp draft instead of the regular draft....

In that situation, are you saying you wouldn't pick him because FB isn't an important position (in your words)?

For me, when you have an opportunity to acquire a talent...at a low price...you take it. This kid looks talented. If you can get him for a 6th or 7th rounder than why not?

Secondly, Leach hasn't shown anything special and the FB position is incredibly important if you consider the fact that they are the primary pass blocker past the O-line. FB's may not show up in the stat books but they are still a big part of the game. Who do you think is throwing lead blocks to break open RB's? Who is knocking the edge rusher back just enough so the QB can complete a pass? Who is helping pick up blitzes and cover O-line mistakes? It sure as hell aint the punter or the PK.

Saying a FB is less important then a kicker or a punter is an insult to FB's.

jack's smirking revenge
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Is there a way to track the Supplemental Draft? When does it start?

tyler

Partial
07-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Brooks is a bengal. Taken with their third round pick. Brooks on the outside, Thurman on the inside. Damn, that is a tough linebacking corps.

Rastak
07-13-2006, 01:09 PM
From PFT:

BENGALS TAKE BROOKS IN "TURD" ROUND

Two league sources advise us that the Cincinnati Bengals have selected linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the Supplemental Draft.

It figures.

Perhaps Marvin Lewis and the Bengals should change the name of the third round to the "turd" round, since they've now used three consecutive picks in round three on guys of questionable character.

In the 2005 draft, Lewis snagged receiver Chris Henry, who has since been arrested four times. In April 2006, Lewis took defensive end Frostee Rucker, who has faced multiple accusations of misconduct with females.

Now, it's Brooks -- who was kicked off of the Virginia Cavaliers after his junior season. Jason Cole, formerly of the Miami Herald and now of Yahoo! Sports, reported that Brooks failed multiple drug tests while in college.

Nice job, Marvin.

Partial
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I would have spent a second on him. He is instinctive and NFL ready. He would have been really good for our team.

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I ain't crying in my beer right now. We could have gotten Brooks in round 3 if we wanted, but lets face it, he is not Packer people. We gotta have Packer people to win football games :roll: .

Spaulding
07-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Last year he would have fit a huge need but this year after already drafting Hawk and Hodge he would have been a waste in the 3rd unless we could have moved Poppinga or Manning for another draft choice.

Besides, don't we have enough issues with "character" on the team right now?

If we could just field a team of Favre/Driver like players on offense and Hawk/Kampman players on defense we'd definitely not lose due to lack of effort or integrity.

Partial
07-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Last year he would have fit a huge need but this year after already drafting Hawk and Hodge he would have been a waste in the 3rd unless we could have moved Poppinga or Manning for another draft choice.

Besides, don't we have enough issues with "character" on the team right now?

If we could just field a team of Favre/Driver like players on offense and Hawk/Kampman players on defense we'd definitely not lose due to lack of effort or integrity.

No, he'd still be a good fit. Football games are won with playmakers. This guy could be a coverage linebacker, DE, and a big hitter. He is a better Julian Peterson.

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Partial your a little bit to high on this guy. He was a really good athlete, but he has yet to prove he has all the pieces to make a well rounded football player.

He was a playmaker in college and maybe he will be in Cinncinatti, but don't expect him to start this year. He has a lot of ground to make up as a college football player, much less an NFL football player.

KYPack
07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Nutz has broken the code.

He won't start. He'll play on some passing downs and be groomed to be an ST terror.

PFT be damned, Marvin Lewis is adding pieces to his chess board to be a fast, hitting D and ST unit.

A Packer 3 is a high price.

A Bengal 3 is a tad high.

A Packer 4? That wudda been interesting, but we got a bunch of young pluggers. let's get some of our kids in the mix

Partial
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Partial your a little bit to high on this guy. He was a really good athlete, but he has yet to prove he has all the pieces to make a well rounded football player.

He was a playmaker in college and maybe he will be in Cinncinatti, but don't expect him to start this year. He has a lot of ground to make up as a college football player, much less an NFL football player.

betcha a buck he starts this year

Zool
07-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Starts 1 game or all year(assuming he doesnt get hurt).

Partial
07-13-2006, 04:01 PM
game 1

KYPack
07-13-2006, 04:20 PM

betcha a buck he starts this year

I wudda ripped that dollar outta yer wallet 10 minutes ago.

Bengals just announced that MLB O'Dell Thurman (sp?) is suspended for the first 4 games of '06. I think Landon Johnson will start in thurman's place, but no dollar bets with par tail.

PackerPro42
07-13-2006, 05:01 PM
No one else was selected in the Supp draft.

MJZiggy
07-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Wonder how long before they are picked up as free agents. I say probably within the next week.

woodbuck27
07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
No real surprize there.

Bretsky
07-13-2006, 06:43 PM

I was really high on this guy too; he was a no brainer at round 3 and would have given us INCREDIBLE talent and youth at LB with Barnett, Hodge, Hawk, and Barnett. Almost too good of a talent to pass up IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2006, 10:25 PM
'Tough' decision
By John Murphy, Yahoo! Sports

In using their 2007 third-round pick to select former Virginia standout Ahmad Brooks in the NFL supplemental draft, the Cincinnati Bengals added a more physical presence at inside linebacker.

At 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, Brooks has the size to be physical and can be moved around on third down as a pass-rusher. He has shown glimpses of potentially being a playmaker as an inside linebacker, although the Cavaliers primarily played a 3-4 scheme instead of the base 4-3 defense the Bengals have employed.

With a number of talented linebackers, including David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Landon Johnson, Brian Simmons and now Brooks, Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis could switch to more of a hybrid scheme or even convert to a 3-4. With one year remaining on defensive end Justin Smith's contract, the Bengals couldn't commit to the scheme full-time until 2007, but they can begin the transition this season.

"Coach Lewis already likes to use variations of the 3-4, but [I] believe they will still use a 4-3 base for this season," one team official said.

Brooks comes with some off-field baggage.

A former first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection, Brooks reportedly failed drug tests at Virginia. According to his agent, Gregory Williams, Brooks passed five drug tests over a 10-week period leading up to his June 22 workout, where the test results were distributed to NFL personnel.

Brooks also suffered a number of injuries with the Cavaliers, including a knee problem that required surgery and cost him parts of six games last season. He finished his junior campaign with just 27 tackles and one sack.

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Bottom line, if you are in the nati and you need some good shit, you need to see a Bungle.