PDA

View Full Version : My Draft Wish List

The Shadow
03-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Let's start with our #9 pick : what is a likely scenario?
I think the players TT would most covet would be:
-Eugene Monroe
-B.J. Raji
-Aaron Curry
-Jason Smith
Brian Orakpo, Everette Brown, and Aaron Maybin are players that all could be repeats of another certain pass rushing demon Ron Wolf drafted. TT should be really doing his homework here.
In film I've watched of Brown, an awful lot of his big plays seemed to come when he was virtually unblocked. That won't happen at the pro level.
Maybin, especially, seems like a light, one-dimensional player.
I'm just not sure any of them is a #9 value, and I think the Packers will be really focusing in here to be sure that they would truly fit the new scheme before considering investing the pick.

If Monroe, Raji, Curry, and Smith are all off the board, I have a nagging thought that Andre Smith could be seen here as a great value - IF the Packers decide his Combine & pro day workout problems are simply due to a maturity lapse- and not indicative of deeper problems.

With later picks, here's a list of players - in no particular order I'd love to see TT draft :

Clint Sintim (LB)
Robert Ayers (DE)
William Beatty (OT)
Derek Pegues (S)
D.J. Moore (CB)
Clay Matthews (LB)
Paul Kruger (DE)
Connor Barwin (DE)
Donald Brown (RB)

Lurker64
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Connor Barwin is a prototypical 3-4 OLB, not a DE. He'd be a great pickup in round 2 though.

red
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
you might be right about andre smith. theres no doubt the guy has a ton of talent. he could end up being a huge steal at #9

or he could go on a shooting rampage and end up in prison in 2 years

what about a true center with the second round pick? like unger or mack. we haven't really had a dominate leader at that position since bag o' doughnuts was here. spitz would be fine there, but he's no leader

or duke robinson could be there

take smith in the first, unger mack or robinson in the second. then spend your third round picks on 2 d-linemen, and you've helped improve your two most important areas on the team

Bretsky
03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I want a multi Pro Bowler with pick #9. A playmaking star. While I would prefer that it not be a OL, bottom line is if TT picks us a playmaker he's made the right call.

He'll probably have the chance to select the top rated player at several positions, and I'm fine if he chooses to pass on them as long as he gets us a playmaker.

I'm not sure why, but I always gravitate toward the dang WR's.......so while I'm in the minority............I'm on board with the CRABMAN

HarveyWallbangers
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I want a multi Pro Bowler with pick #9. A playmaking star.

That would be great, but the last 5 picks made at #9 were Keith Rivers, Ted Ginn, Ernie Sims, Carlos Rogers, Reggie Williams. They have a combined 0 Pro Bowls.

Tarlam!
03-26-2009, 03:22 AM

That would be great, but the last 5 picks made at #9 were Keith Rivers, Ted Ginn, Ernie Sims, Carlos Rogers, Reggie Williams. They have a combined 0 Pro Bowls.

Thanks for bringing me back to earth with a massive thud, Harv.

packrulz
03-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Let's start with our #9 pick : what is a likely scenario?
I think the players TT would most covet would be:
-Eugene Monroe
-B.J. Raji
-Aaron Curry
-Jason Smith
Brian Orakpo, Everette Brown, and Aaron Maybin are players that all could be repeats of another certain pass rushing demon Ron Wolf drafted. TT should be really doing his homework here.
In film I've watched of Brown, an awful lot of his big plays seemed to come when he was virtually unblocked. That won't happen at the pro level.
Maybin, especially, seems like a light, one-dimensional player.
I'm just not sure any of them is a #9 value, and I think the Packers will be really focusing in here to be sure that they would truly fit the new scheme before considering investing the pick.

If Monroe, Raji, Curry, and Smith are all off the board, I have a nagging thought that Andre Smith could be seen here as a great value - IF the Packers decide his Combine & pro day workout problems are simply due to a maturity lapse- and not indicative of deeper problems.

With later picks, here's a list of players - in no particular order I'd love to see TT draft :

Clint Sintim (LB)
Robert Ayers (DE)
William Beatty (OT)
Derek Pegues (S)
D.J. Moore (CB)
Clay Matthews (LB)
Paul Kruger (DE)
Connor Barwin (DE)
Donald Brown (RB)
I think a lot depends on who the Lions pick, if they take a Tackle like Monroe it'll give Raji a chance to slip to #9, or trade down if some team is desperate for a QB. Gil Brandt says it's a good draft for WR's, and there's better value in the 2nd-3rd rounds, DD is getting older, JJ had a little drop off last year, so I like the WR's, they can help on special teams and you could switch them to DB if needed. I like Raji/Andre Smith/Maybin in that order, I also like Sintim, Brown, or Eric Wood in the 2nd. Some other players I like:
Massaquo, WR, Georgia
Murphy, WR, Florida
Inglesias, WR, Oklahoma
Gant, WR, Northern Alabama
Guice, WR, Northwestern State Louisiana
Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
Bennett, DE, Texas A & M
Johnson, CB, Jackson State
Moore, RB, Wyoming
I don't expect any immediate starters from this draft, including Raji, and TT has 9 picks, so I hope he trades into the 2nd round and grabs some of those good WR's. If not, stay put and load up on some pass rushing OLB's.

Lurker64
03-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Seems to me that this is a really interesting draft for tweeners, which is good for us.

Some players I'm interested in, from a defense perspective:
1st Round: Aaron Maybin, Brian Orakpo, B.J. Raji, Evander Hood.
2nd Round: Jarron Gilbert, Connor Barwin, Larry English, Clint Sintim.
Day 2: Myron Pryor, Mitch King, Sammie Lee Hill, Paul Kruger.

Honestly, if Thompson does nothing but pick Defensive Linemen, Outside Linebackers, and Offensive Linemen this draft, I wouldn't be at all unhappy.

If we don't land Raji in the 1st, Myron Pryor with one of the thirds would be a great pickup. I think a great first three rounds would be:
1: Orakpo/Maybin
2: Gilbert/Hood
3A: Pryor
3B: Best OL available.

Fritz
03-26-2009, 06:55 AM
I was going to start an opposite thread - whom would you like to see TT NOT pick at #9? Which player pick would cause you to feel some Thompson-inspired bile in your throat?

For me, that'd be Malcolm Jenkins, closely followed by Brian Cushing. Jenkins - too slow, it seems, to be but a safety, and he's not played there before, so I just wouldn't like the pick. It's one thing to pick a guy in the second or third round and convert him cuz he's slow (Leroy Butler), but not at #9 overall, I don't think. Cushing I don't like cuz I can't imagine anyone putting on the weight/muscle he has so quickly without roids.

I'd be shocked if TT picked Stafford, fairly shocked if he picked Sanchez. Surprised if he picked Manboobs Smith. Surprised a little if he picked up Crabs. Disappointed if he picked Oher.

Happy if he picked Raji. Really happy. I'd be okay with Orakpo. I'd be pretty happy with Monroe if he slipped to #9. I'd be fine if TT traded down, unless Raji were availible at that pick and TT traded down anyway.

I like Hood after reading about him on this site. I like Shortarms Unger. I like Myron Pryor's name - who knew a dorky, geeky bookworm could be a nose tackle? I like Pooljumpin' Gilbert. People say Connor Barwin might be good. I'm okay with that in the second.

Bretsky
03-26-2009, 06:59 AM

With all of the TTT glorification in here one might expect more then that of a Lions, Bengals...etc....GM

sheepshead
03-26-2009, 07:18 AM

Get out of the first round TT now!

wist43
03-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Pure and simple... they need difference makers in their front 7 on defense.

Be it Orakpo, Raji, English, et al...

That said, they also need an OT... but, as TT is always saying, they don't draft for need.

The Shadow
03-26-2009, 09:13 AM

Get out of the first round TT now!

Accumulating picks is ok when building foundation, but now the Pack needs to add special players. You can get one at #9.

Waldo
03-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Honestly, if Thompson does nothing but pick Defensive Linemen, Outside Linebackers, and Offensive Linemen this draft, I wouldn't be at all unhappy.

I agree to some extent, but I think after the top 4 picks he has to start looking at the whole team, there are other areas that need attention.

We need another TE. I love Lee (2 years running he caught the highest % of passes thrown his way of all TE's in the NFL with more than 20 passes, dude is clutch), and Finley has tons of upside, but a 3rd guy is needed. Not a high in the draft need, but still a need. One guy that has caught my eye is Cameron Morrah of Cal. He's undersized (6'-3", 244) and very young (a la Finley), but has a ton of positives. He's very fast (4.61 40, 1.57 10), has exceptional agility (for a TE, 6.99 3C, 4.36 SS), and is noted for exceptional hands and over the shoulder catching ability (same as Finley). He's a willing blocker (unlike Beckum) but still learning in that regard. He was very productive with his opportunities, scoring 8 times last year in 27 opportunities. Perfect really for the H-Back/versatile role that Humphrey filled. Nice thing about him, this draft is full of fast receiving TE's that aren't good blockers, his age and height bump him low down on the list relative to the others, he's probably worth a 3rd-4th, but sated demand will probably cause him to drop into the 5th.

We'll probably (gulp) take another WR. Not high necessarily, but Ruvell and Driver might not be with us much longer. Ruvell simply because he's better off not resigning with us, for his career, and Driver is slated to make 8M next year in a big dummy year. If he's not willing to take a big pay cut as part of an extension this year, he will go the way of Holt and Harrison this year, IMO they are going to start to purposely phase him out of the offense this year, Jordy and Jones are ready for more opportunities, I love Driver, but the guy has no nose for the end zone.

I could see us taking a day 2 back as well. If for nothing else to have enough good bodies for camp, and a guy to put on the PS, if we only keep 3 active backs, there has to be another on the PS.

A late DB wouldn't surprise me either. There is always a need for better developmental DB's, TT almost always takes at least 1 DB a draft.

The Shadow
03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I think adding a true blocking TE makes more sense with Lee and Finley avail. as pass catchers. Having a guy on the line at 3rd and 1 or 2 willing to do the grunt work would be nice.

And a PS : why exactly don't teams have their backup fullback (provided they even have one anymore!) double as the 3rd string TE? Seems to me that's a really helpful thing - and frees up a roster spot for another position.

Packnut
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd be tickled pink if he does'nt:

1-draft a guy who's been hurt since HS football.

2-Draft a QB

3- Draft a WR

4- Draft a TE ( If you don't have confidence that Finley turns into the total package, then why draft him in the first place?)

3irty1
03-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I'd like something like this:

1. Orakpo, Maybin

2. Jarron Gilbert, William Beatty, Max Unger

3a. Jairus Byrd, Fili Moala

3b. Sammie Lee Hill, Gerald Cadogan, Chase Coffman, Jasper Brinkley

There are a lot of guys I wouldn't mind seeing in Green and Gold. I'd really like one of the top OT's to fall to 9 but it seems unlikely and I have mix feelings about Andre Smith. I'm secretly hoping there's a WR that we grab somewhere for good value. This looks like a good class.

bobblehead
03-26-2009, 12:32 PM

We hold TT to higher standards. IF our 9 pick doesn't start and make the probowl immediately BUT we win the super bowl TT must be fired.

bobblehead
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM

With all of the TTT glorification in here one might expect more then that of a Lions, Bengals...etc....GM

See, I told you. But remember, that lions guy is probably the best of the lot.

Dylan McKay
03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I have to admit I don't like everette brown because of the college, position at college, and number, but watching this high light of him it is hard not to like his explosion off the snap, his quickness, and he also does a really nice job at play recognition, good instincts.

Several different moves, spin move that probably won't work in the pros, but he ducks his inside shoulder nicely to work the corner with good leverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXJJ14HL5EE

Fritz
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm going to be simplistic (and yes, I know what that word means): No Brown, please. He's from Florida State.

If Raji and Orakpo and the two big offensive tackles are gone, I wonder if Ted would trade down and take the boy in the Hood later in the first, and pick up an extra second so he can snag an o-lineman and another defender in the second.

I have been wondering about the efficacy of picking up another tight end. Humphrey is by all accounts a great guy, but could use some competition.

Also, for those who advocate nothing but defensive and offensive linemen, I would say that depends on what rounds. The truth is, guys picked in rounds one through three always (okay, somebody out there prove me wrong) get a free pass for at least one year, unless they are injured in a career-ending way. My sense is that guys drafted in rounds one through three have to prove that they have and will suck before they get cut, while guys drafted in rounds five through seven have to prove that they are or will be good so they don't get immediately cut.

Therefore, if TT went nuts and drafted, say, three defensive linemen with his first four picks, you'd have at least nine guys in camp competing for six or seven jobs. If you keep only six, barring injury you'd have to cut Malone, Montgomery....and who? A rookie you drafted in rounds one, two, or three? Or Harrell? (I did say barring injury!) You couldn't hide a rookie you drafted that high, not on a practice squad, not a defensive lineman.

So if TT really did draft nothing but offensive and defensive linemen in this draft, he'd be assuring himself of cutting many of those picks.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to see him draft at least two d-linemen early, and an o-lineman as well...

Dylan McKay
03-26-2009, 01:41 PM
If he is there you must take him, an that man is Aaron Curry. Very versatile, especially for the new 3-4. He is probably the best tackler in the open field in the draft, good blitzer off the corner.

Fritz
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
As Ernie Harwell, the voice of Tiger baseball, used to say, Curry will be "lo-o-o-o-o-ng gone!" by the time the Packers pick.

mission
03-26-2009, 04:19 PM
If he is there you must take him, an that man is Aaron Curry. Very versatile, especially for the new 3-4. He is probably the best tackler in the open field in the draft, good blitzer off the corner.

And he plays the ball like a hawking safety. Dude is the total package.

But it won't happen. :lol:

Lurker64
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm going to be simplistic (and yes, I know what that word means): No Brown, please. He's from Florida State.

There's some other reasons to pass on Brown too.

There are three 3-4 pass rushing OLB prospects that are considered top tier guys in the draft: Orakpo, Brown, and Maybin. For pass rushers, from a testing numbers perspectve the most important numbers are: 10-yard split, bench reps, vert jump, broad jump. So let's compare the three.

10-yard split:
Maybin: 1.57
Orakpo: 1.58
Brown: 1.59

Reps
Orakp: 31
Brown: 26
Maybin: 22

Vert Jump:
Maybin: 38.0" Combine / 40.5" Pro Day
Orakpo: 39.5" Combine/ 39.5" Pro Day
Brown: 31.5" Combine / 30.5" Pro Day

Broad Jump
Orakpo: 10'-10" (Pro Day)
Brown: 10'-4" Combine/ 10'-10" Pro Day
Brown: 9'-6" Combine / 9'-9" Pro Day

So there's a considerable disparity in terms of "lower body strength" for the three prospects.

Moreover, let's consider Brown's Senior Campaign. He had 12.5 sacks for the season, which is good. But let's look at it from a game by game perspective: against W. Carolina, 2 against Chattanooga, 0 against Wake, 1 against Colorado, 0 against Miami (FL), 0 against NC State, 3 against Virginia Tech, 0 against Georgia Tech, 3 against Clemson, 0 against Boston College, 3.5 against Maryland, 0 against Florida, 0 against Wisconsin. 12.5 is good, but being shut out of the backfield in 8/12 games? Not so good. It seems like, he would entirely dominate teams who just didn't have a guy who could get a hand on him, but against a team with a competent LT, he would be entirely silent. The Tackles he's going to see in the NFL are a lot more talented than those he would face in the ACC (not a conference reknowned for developing offensive line talent.)

Fritz
03-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Brown is about the only player that TT could pick that would make me throw up in my mouth.

Fritz
03-27-2009, 07:11 AM
No, wait. Cushing would make me do that, too. But maybe a little less - without the little carrotty things in it.

red
03-27-2009, 08:53 AM
No, wait. Cushing would make me do that, too. But maybe a little less - without the little carrotty things in it.

if i were you, i wouldn't eat any carrots the week before the draft

Waldo
03-27-2009, 09:34 AM
So I've ID'ed two guys that IMO MM would be drooling to get his hands on as day 2 pass catchers, that the Packers were known to have big wigs at their pro day.

Jamarko Simmons, WR/H-back/FB, 6'2", 231 lb, Measurables (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68024&draftyear=2009&genpos=WR)
http://blog.mlive.com/broncos_impact/2008/09/large_marko.jpg
Same school as Greg Jennings, broke his career receptions record, broke his single season receptions record, broke his single season yards record. His senior stats - 104 rec, 1276 yds, 7 TD's. The dude is huge, as much of a miniature TE as a WR, definitely could be a guy to motion into the backfield to block, while giving up nothing as a WR (4.50 speed). He's only projected as a 7th rounder or UDFA, but he's the kind of guy TT reaches big on, I could see him in the 5th round easily. It worked out last time we took a WR from Western Michigan, and he screams MM pass catcher.

Cameron Morrah, TE/H-back, 6'3", 244 lb, Measurables (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75027&draftyear=2009&genpos=TE)
http://www.sportsviews.com/images/blogs/102/blog_14002_1232702402.jpg
Cal product, came out very young (a la Finley). Smaller than the TE prototype, he fits the H-back mold to a T, and is a guy that could line up int he backfield, in-line, and split out wide. Good speed (4.61) for his size, and noted for his exceptional hands, perhaps the best in this TE class, and he's an over the shoulder catcher (a big weakness with TE's). But his lack of prototype TE size and age will cause him to fall near the end of the big mid-round group of fast receiving TE's that aren't great blockers, sated demand could cause him to fall a little further than his draft stock warrants. His greatest strength is his nose for the EZ. Caught 27 passes in '08, scored 8 TD's with those passes.

These are the kind of guys MM likes, good hands, can motion here, motion there, and play lots of positions. With enough of these guys our offense could get rather undefendable, especially to teams with undersized DB's or slow LB's.

I wouldn't mind getting both of them, one to replace Ruvell, the other to fill the hole left with Humphrey's departure.

Fritz
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM
TT does seem to go for guys in the mid to late rounds that don't have a single position throughout their college careers. Blackmon played wide out for a year, I think. One of the fullbacks (Kuhn, Hall - I get them mixed up) was a linebacker in college. Colledge was I think a tight end for a while.

So both of those guys above, Waldo, seem to fit the TT mold for later picks. Personally, I'd like to see TT draft a guy who played both wide receiver and defensive tackle in college - and then move him to quarterback.

Waldo
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
TT does seem to go for guys in the mid to late rounds that don't have a single position throughout their college careers. Blackmon played wide out for a year, I think. One of the fullbacks (Kuhn, Hall - I get them mixed up) was a linebacker in college. Colledge was I think a tight end for a while.

So both of those guys above, Waldo, seem to fit the TT mold for later picks. Personally, I'd like to see TT draft a guy who played both wide receiver and defensive tackle in college - and then move him to quarterback.

Well he did draft a LT that was a ST gunner to play G (Barbre).

This years version of Sitton is TJ Lang, LT at Eastern Michigan that played DT than moved to LT, and can play all 5 positions on the line. Plays with a mean streak from his time at DT.

I don't think that Colledge was a TE, but I know for sure that both Moll and Giacomini were before they moved to OT. Collins was a CB on draft day, I believe that Montgomery was a DT, and Poppinga was a DE on draft day.