PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell

Fritz
03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
I figured this thread title would tet a lot of interest, so I wanted to use that to ask a question.

My own opinion is that Harrell, while certainly not useful so far, is not yet a bust. I think the guy has the skills, and I also think his attitude is better than he's been given credit for. What I don't know, though, is how badly injured his back is, and how he might be feeling.

Back injuries are serious business. This could be a career-ender. But if Harrell can recover and stay healthy, I do believe he can be a good if not very good defensive lineman.

So - does anybody have any "inside" info (your cousin's girlfriend's mother's friend works at Lambeau, maybe?) or any info, period, on the state of Harrell's back?

Bretsky
03-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Da Fraud II :?:

Fritz
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Uh, any info on Harrell's back, Bretsky?

I'm not ready to call him a fraud. In fact, if it's his back that costs him his career, I wouldn't call him a fraud or a bust. Just a pick that got hurt and never could get on the field.

Mark D'onofrio was a second round Ron Wolf pick (a Penn State linebacker) who never, ever got on the field for the Packers because he got hurt very early on.

I don't think of him as a "fraud" or a "bust." Nor do I think of Terrence Murphy that way.

Now, if Harrell's career was ended because of an injury he suffered in college that came up again, I'd say Ted made a bad bet, sure. But I don't think Harrell's back was injured until the Rock got ahold of him.

Partial
03-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Da Fraud II :?:

:(

Packnut
03-27-2009, 07:36 AM
It's always nice to "wish" and hope" but there are zero facts to support your opinion. Harrell is a bust plain and simple. He has contributed NOTHING as the 16th pick in the draft

Any way you slice it, that means BUST. Seriously, how many games was he a force at Tenn? Really, what everyone saw was potential. He flashed moments of domination, but in college that's normal. Truth is, he did'nt play enough for any COMPETENT evaluation to be formed. It is the reason the senior year is crucial.

There are two rules you do not dismiss as a GM. You can get lucky ignoring one or the other but Teddy violated both. He drafted an under-clasman and he drafted an injury riddled player going back to HS.

Once again, Reggie Nelson was sitting there and he was a NEED pick. Had Thompson taken Nelson, we would have had a player who contributed immediately as I believe he was all-rookie in the AFC. Had the clown taken Nelson, we NEVER would have had to play Woodson at saftey and it would'nt be considered by many to be a position of weakness now.

But, I guess that is the difference between our perception of Teddy. I expect perfection out of the GM for the team I worship. I don't accept this hit and miss BS. I expect my GM to make the right moves as often as the Giants GM or the Patriots GM. I will NEVER accept a Jerry Angelo type clone who's wrong more than 50% of the time...........

Fritz
03-27-2009, 08:10 AM
If you expect "perfection" you must've despised Ron Wolf as well.

Waldo
03-27-2009, 08:29 AM
If you expect "perfection" you must've despised Ron Wolf as well. :lol:

Too true, Ron was terrible early in the draft.

run pMc
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Aaron Rodgers could have been considered a bust until last season. It's still early, but I don't think anyone thinks he's a bust now.
Expecting perfection is unrealistic. Humans make mistakes.
Expecting TT to match NYG or NE move for move is unrealistic also -- different owners, markets, team cultures, and the teams are at different points in terms of personnel. GB has a lot more youth. It doesn't make sense to make a move unless it benefits the team, and TT believe (rightly or not) they're better off standing pat.

But all of that, frankly, is off topic. People can have their opinions of TT and their reasons. I think the point of this topic was:

So - does anybody have any "inside" info (your cousin's girlfriend's mother's friend works at Lambeau, maybe?) or any info, period, on the state of Harrell's back?

And -- like Fritz -- I'm curious to know if there is any new info.
The responses thus far aren't entirely helpful, insightful or newsworthy.

sharpe1027
03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
It's always nice to "wish" and hope" but there are zero facts to support your opinion. Harrell is a bust plain and simple. He has contributed NOTHING as the 16th pick in the draft

Any way you slice it, that means BUST. Seriously, how many games was he a force at Tenn? Really, what everyone saw was potential. He flashed moments of domination, but in college that's normal. Truth is, he did'nt play enough for any COMPETENT evaluation to be formed. It is the reason the senior year is crucial.

There are two rules you do not dismiss as a GM. You can get lucky ignoring one or the other but Teddy violated both. He drafted an under-clasman and he drafted an injury riddled player going back to HS.

Once again, Reggie Nelson was sitting there and he was a NEED pick. Had Thompson taken Nelson, we would have had a player who contributed immediately as I believe he was all-rookie in the AFC. Had the clown taken Nelson, we NEVER would have had to play Woodson at saftey and it would'nt be considered by many to be a position of weakness now.

But, I guess that is the difference between our perception of Teddy. I expect perfection out of the GM for the team I worship. I don't accept this hit and miss BS. I expect my GM to make the right moves as often as the Giants GM or the Patriots GM. I will NEVER accept a Jerry Angelo type clone who's wrong more than 50% of the time...........

So does all this mean his back is better, or is it still bothering him? I guess you lost me.

Zool
03-27-2009, 09:24 AM

Or in another wildly hypothetical situation, maybe Nelson got far superior coaching than he would have gotten from Shittenheimer and that caused his early success. Maybe he would have blown out a knee in his first OTA in GB.

Maybe Harrell goes to Denver and becomes a stud and never has back issues. We get it, you don't agree with anything Thompson does. Fuck dude, just let it go. Go kick your dog or something.

texaspackerbacker
03-27-2009, 09:40 AM
As for "hoping with zero fact basis", There is a certain degree of quality you can expect from a #12 first round pick--until proven otherwise. Harrell hasn't been healthy enough to prove otherwise, and in fact, he hasn't looked all that bad in the very brief instances that he has played even fairly healthy.

He looked quick for a big guy, but not very strong--as his detractors keep going on and on about. The thing is, though, even when his legs and back were OK, he was pretty much playing one-armed due to the torn bicep or whatever it was not being fully recovered. Hopefully now it is.

Waldo
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
This is the most recent thing that I've seen:

Harrell, who missed most of last season with a back injury suffered while lifting weights, isn't cleared to do everything but has not been slowed by pain. His true test won't come until he practices in pads.

"He's got a smile on his face," McCarthy said. "He's pain-free so far. You could probably point to training camp for most of these guys."

M*A*S*H Report (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/41796527.html)

cheesner
03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
for "hoping with zero fact basis", There is a certain degree of quality you can expect from a #12 first round pick--until proven otherwise. Harrell hasn't been healthy enough to prove otherwise, and in fact, he hasn't looked all that bad in the very brief instances that he has played even fairly healthy.

He looked quick for a big guy, but not very strong--as his detractors keep going on and on about. The thing is, though, even when his legs and back were OK, he was pretty much playing one-armed due to the tron bicep or whatever it was not being fully recovered. Hopefully now it is.
And that holds true for the 16th pick as well. (Where Harrell was taken).

The guy is very strong. Very tough. And very athletic. Some players you just have to take a risk on. Not saying TT was correct or that he was wrong, but JH was a gamble and TT understood that. If it pays off, we would have a guy who can collapse the pocket and disrupt plays in the backfield. What is the value of that to an NFL team? More valuable, IMHO, than a guy who racks up a lot of sacks, because it cuts down on the run game as well as the passing game, by tying up blockers, removing passing lanes, and preventing the QB from stepping up to pass.

JH hurt his back while working out. Its not like he strained it while lying on his couch reaching for his remote. The surgery went ok at first, but later it was discovered that bone fragments were missed and he needed to be re-operated on. Its not like he blew his knee out in college, and blew it out again on the first day of practice and it is a chronic injury. He hurt his bicep in college and still insisted on playing with it. A completely unrelated injury.

Personally, I have not given up on him. He has the heart and the dedication to come back from this and still be a force.

KYPack
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Hold the phone, Packnut. I know your TT angst.

Harrell was huge at Tenn. He was healthy his soph and junior seasons there.

As a junior in 2005, started all 11 games, shifting to left defensive tackle and earning second-team All-SEC honors from The Associated Press and The NFL Draft Report
Totaled 39 tackles (21 solos) with 2 1/2 sacks and 7 1/2 total stops behind the line of scrimmage
Also intercepted two passes, returning one for a touchdown, and was credited with eight pressures, one forced fumble and three deflected passes

He was MVP at the Cotton bowl the end of his soph season. His last game as a Junior, he personally shut out Kentucky, causing the broadasters to compare him again and again to Reggie White. Harrell was one of the rare Tenn DT's to wear Reggie's number. I saw him in that game and he was a pro type DT for sure.

If he ever gets healty, he will be a big thing. The back deal he's got now, could well be the end, but drafting Harrell was justified. It also might not work out, but it was not a stupid move on TT's part. Somebody would have snagged the guy with a high pick.

Fritz
03-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Harrell, who missed most of last season with a back injury suffered while lifting weights, isn't cleared to do everything but has not been slowed by pain. His true test won't come until he practices in pads.

"He's got a smile on his face," McCarthy said. "He's pain-free so far. You could probably point to training camp for most of these guys."

Thanks, Waldo.

Was it publicly stated last fall that Harrell hurt his back while lifting weights? Or has that slipped into media reports since the Rock has left the building?

Waldo
03-27-2009, 10:52 AM
No it was known that he did it lifting weights. The JSO and GBPG did a great job of painting Harrell as a fat lazy slob, and that being out of shape is the reason he hurt his back.

I expected the Rock to be shown the door, a serious weight room injury is about as big of a sin as a S&C coach can have, it's one thing to happen to a UDFA guy, but when it happens to a first round pick that there is a lot invested in, that coach had better be special if he's gonna keep his job.

I don't get the JSO/GBPG reasoning. It was the offseason S&C program, the whole point of it is to get guys that have had a few months off of rest, back into football shape. It is pretty much expected that every player shows up to it out of shape. How out of shape can you get in the span of 6 weeks (the amount of time between our last game, and the start of the S&C program)?

Plus what on earth was he doing lifting the amount of weight that can hurt him in the first week of the program. Even if the player wants to, what kind of idiot S&C coach lets him? Testing the limits of their max is not a first week of training thing to do. I'd love to know just how much weight he had on there and the exercise, Justin was known as one of the strongest players to ever play at Tn (this includes Big Al and big John) and an absolute beast in their weight room.

KYPack
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
No it was known that he did it lifting weights. The JSO and GBPG did a great job of painting Harrell as a fat lazy slob, and that being out of shape is the reason he hurt his back.

I expected the Rock to be shown the door, a serious weight room injury is about as big of a sin as a S&C coach can have, it's one thing to happen to a UDFA guy, but when it happens to a first round pick that there is a lot invested in, that coach had better be special if he's gonna keep his job.

I don't get the JSO/GBPG reasoning. It was the off season S&C program, the whole point of it is to get guys that have had a few months off of rest, back into football shape. It is pretty much expected that every player shows up to it out of shape. How out of shape can you get in the span of 6 weeks (the amount of time between our last game, and the start of the S&C program)?

Plus what on earth was he doing lifting the amount of weight that can hurt him in the first week of the program. Even if the player wants to, what kind of idiot S&C coach lets him? Testing the limits of their max is not a first week of training thing to do. I'd love to know just how much weight he had on there and the exercise, Justin was known as one of the strongest players to ever play at Tn (this includes Big Al and big John) and an absolute beast in their weight room.

I also wonder if Rock wasn't the source of the "all Harrell did was eat and showed up to off-season training out of shape" tale. I got the impression that Gullickson tried to cover his tail by leaking the story that the whole deal was Harrell's fault.

A SC coach hurting a guy is ridiculous. I also think MM & TT want to plug all the "leaks".

Gunakor
03-27-2009, 11:30 AM

When did you become a certified professional talent evaluator Packnut? What exactly do you look for when evaluating a player to determine if he'll be able to make the transition from college to the pros? You don't just look at individual plays I'm sure. You have to look at a body of work. Harrell's body of work must have been pretty good, otherwise a keen talent evaluator like Ted Thompson wouldn't have decided he was worth the 16th overall pick - and a keen talent evaluator like Mike Shanahan wouldn't have clearly stated that he was worth the 17th overall pick should we have taken someone else. These guys get paid to know more than you do.

If you think you know more than they do, send in your resume. Those are good paying jobs, which is good for you, and we fans are always looking for better evaluators of talent for our football team. We'd love to have you on board, as long as you know exactly what you are looking at. But you better know exactly what you are looking at, because the guy you'd be replacing is pretty good himself, and I'd hate to see this team take a step backwards.

I expect perfection out of the GM for the team I worship.

You can't grade a GM on perfection. The best of them out there miss on draft picks. Even the Giants and the Patriots. If you expect perfection, there isn't one single quality GM out there. Nor has there ever been. In history. Nobody is perfect.

Try to temper your expectations a bit, realize that we aren't going to win the Super Bowl every year and that not everything that happens to a football team either good or bad is the GM's fault. I mean, if the Packers finish 8-8 next season it is automatically Thompson's fault, right? So who's fault is it if the Packers finish 13-3 and host another NFC Championship game? I'm quite certain you'll find someone else to give the credit to. Yeah, that much I'm sure of.

packers04
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Justin Harrell is very strong, but hell the guy hasnt really participated in an offseason workout program since he's been here... in the times hes played, he wouldnt had looked very strong. He hasnt been able to train at all! Heck i could be very strong, but if i never was able to work out I wouldnt look very strong. thats for sure.

I just hope he can go through this offseason without any chronic lingering pains from his back injury.
Im still holding out hope for him.

wist43
03-27-2009, 12:12 PM

I was pain free and smiling at 9:00 this morning... now my back hurts :)

rbaloha1
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
IMO JH does not equal Jamal Reynolds. JH flashed enough power and explosion to be a very good 3-4 de.

Expect JH to play well this season.

mission
03-27-2009, 12:28 PM

I was pain free and smiling at 9:00 this morning...

Same here, but she had to work at 10. Now I'm not on my back and definitely not smiling. :P

As for Harrell, I think we might see somethin this year. A lil something... who knows, I'm def not a 91 hater. I'm rootin for him.

Bossman641
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Adrian Peterson

Waldo
03-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Adrian Peterson

Justin was not an underclassman, sorry.

Your boy Reggie was. Collins is better than Reggie anyway and the exact same type of player.

Guiness
03-27-2009, 12:37 PM

You're making an assumption about Rock here as well - on the scale of the assumption that JH harmed himself because he was fat and out of shape.

We don't know the nature of the injury Who know how much weight he was lifting? Same as the press took what little info they had about JH's injury 'that it occured in the weight room' and floated all kind of stuff, saying the injury occured while he was doing a max lift, or was due to RG and his training methods, and led to RG's firing is all guesswork. Your feeling that this contributed to his firing may well be correct, but are purely conjecture.

All kinds of stuff can happen in a gym. Worst injury I ever had was on a military press bench. Did a set, was resting before my next one...turned to see my spotter as he was adding weight for me, and something 'twinged' in my upper back. It was a pull/strain/cramp or something, hurt like hell, and still bothers me now, years later. What was I lifting at the time of the injury? Nothing.

cheesner
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Adrian Peterson

Your boy Reggie was. Collins is better than Reggie anyway and the exact same type of player.
Classic!

Being critical of TT for breaking 2 imaginary rules when TT only broke one and his solution actually breaks the same rule he just accused TT of breaking.

Regardless, Packnut is worthless as a GM because he did not achieve prefection on his draft pick, Reggie Nelson, anyway. The funny thing is, even using hindsight, he has failed.

Actually, TT should have traded down to somewhere before #28 (TT said there were several teams looking to trade up - Denver admitted contacting TT) and picking up another 2nd and giving up a 4th and a 5th (used on Barber and David Clowney - 2 players we would not have missed at this point).

With the 28th pick he could have traded with SF for SF first pick in 08 and their 4th (same deal they gave NE).

Pick #9 in 2008: Ryan Clady, a dominating OT in the ZBS.
2nd (60ish) : Marcus McCauley to strengthen our secondary
4th (#132ish) : Antrwan Barnes - probably could have gotten Barber back anyway, but I will go with the promising LB for the Ravens

There. Your plan you got a decent safety who doesn't represent an upgrade. I got a Probowl OT - at a position of need as well as 2 promising role players who have high ceilings.

Dang! Second guessing with hindsight is fun.

Bossman - Sometimes the best arguements are so simple. Good post.

Partial
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Adrian Peterson didn't have an injury back to high school imo.

Fritz
03-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Here's the quote: "Peterson has had three major injuries since he arrived in Norman:

• A "loose" shoulder, an injury that initially occurred in high school..."

Here's the link:

http://newsok.com/article/2961310/

I feel like Patler!

Patler
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Adrian Peterson

Not only was Harrell not an underclassman, he was a 5th year senior having redshirted his first year college and having played four seasons thereafter.

Patler
03-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Here's the quote: "Peterson has had three major injuries since he arrived in Norman:

• A "loose" shoulder, an injury that initially occurred in high school..."

Here's the link:

http://newsok.com/article/2961310/

I feel like Patler!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bobblehead
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM

guys like nelson come along all the time. Young men with the raw size and athleticism of a Harrell come along much more rarely. You say there is no evidence to support optimism....I would argue there is little evidence to support your level of pessimism either.

At this point I think its more likely he busts than dominates, but the real likelihood is that he develops into a legitimate NFL player, but not what we hoped for. I'm not saying you are wrong for sure, but your shrill negativity is probably ill founded as much as anyone who is being overly optimistic.

RashanGary
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
At this point I think its more likely he busts than dominates, but the real likelihood is that he develops into a legitimate NFL player, but not what we hoped for. I'm not saying you are wrong for sure, but your shrill negativity is probably ill founded as much as anyone who is being overly optimistic.

Well said.

Shrill negativity, ha. Great description.

wist43
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Adrian Peterson

Classic!

Being critical of TT for breaking 2 imaginary rules when TT only broke one and his solution actually breaks the same rule he just accused TT of breaking.

That sentence made my head hurt :doh:

SnakeLH2006
03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Who cares about his back? Harrell seems to be leaking into the category of bust not so much on gameplay (or lack therof as of yet) but on the fact he seems to not have the passion for NFL football. There's ALWAYS something wrong with something with him. I don't care...just play or get off the damn headlines/rostor JH.

Snakey thinks he's a bust till proven otherwise. I'd love to wrong on this one though.

Fritz
03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Snakey, I care about his back. I think that if his back is healthy he can be a good player in this league. If his back is out of whack, then his career is prolly over.

Pugger
03-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm disappointed Harrell hasn't been able to play but I'm not ready to call him a total bust just yet. Didn't Flannigan bust his knee up early in his career (first TC?)? The Packers were patient with him and he eventually had a nice career once he got better, didn't he?

bobblehead
03-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm disappointed Harrell hasn't been able to play but I'm not ready to call him a total bust just yet. Didn't Flannigan bust his knee up early in his career (first TC?)? The Packers were patient with him and he eventually had a nice career once he got better, didn't he?
If I recall correctly Flanny had a compound fracture of his shin area that caused nerve damage. I think he had some major surgery and missed 2 full seasons. Thats all from my memory, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Patler
03-29-2009, 12:00 PM
If I recall correctly Flanny had a compound fracture of his shin area that caused nerve damage. I think he had some major surgery and missed 2 full seasons. Thats all from my memory, so correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I remember. He was on IR for two seasons. I think it was the end of his third year before he even played in a game. As I recall, he was on the PUP list to start his third season, then was inactive until the end of the season. It was his 5th season before he really contributed much as a center. Took over as the starter in his 6th year. The Packers traded him once, I think his third season. The trade was negated on his physical with his new team (Cleveland maybe???).

Sometimes it pays to be patient with injured players. Flanagan is a good example, Blackmon is another.

Joemailman
03-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep, Flanagan is the poster child of why you don't give up on an injury plagued player if you feel he has potential to be outstanding. The one difference between Flanagan and Harrell is that doctors were able to rebuild Flanagan's knee. If Harrell has a chronic back problem, I'm not sure that anything can be done about it. If he can get healthy though, the bust tag put on him could prove to be premature.

Waldo
03-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Gilbert......

3rd round pick. Cut in camp because of weight struggles. The Packers picked him up off waivers.

Barely played his rookie year because of weight problems.

2nd year, rotational player for a few games, tore his ACL, out for the rest of the season......

3rd year, managed to get in the starting lineup, but hurt his elbow midseason and landed in the training room......

4th year, started 16 games, we won the super bowl...

Iron Mike
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM

It happened during a preseason game against Pittsburgh. I was there. 8-)

Patler
03-29-2009, 03:22 PM

On a kickoff, wasn't it?

Iron Mike
03-29-2009, 03:28 PM

On a kickoff, wasn't it?

Correct as usual. :P

Scott Campbell
05-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Adrian Peterson

Not only was Harrell not an underclassman, he was a 5th year senior having redshirted his first year college and having played four seasons thereafter.

Good times............... :lol:

Carolina_Packer
05-03-2009, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Harrell got hurt actually playing in a game if his detractors would give him more slack. Perhaps the fact that he got hurt training and not playing hurts him in the eyes of some.