PDA

View Full Version : Jolly's case delayed again

KYPack
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Johnny Jolly delayed his case again.

Johnny Jolly's trial on felony drug charges in Houston has been carried over to Monday at the defendant's request, according to Donna Hawkins of the Harris County district attorney's office. Jolly's trial, which has been pushed back several times, was scheduled to start today. Jolly was arrested July 8 and charged with possessing over 200 grams of codeine.

I never thought this case would go this far. If he takes the charge, I'd be shocked. There is no way in hell that DA can make the original charge of over 200 grams of codeine. It was one drink in the car's beverage holder. Around here, they very rarely bust guys just for "purple". It's tough for the crime labs to do all the analysis to figure out exactly how much codeine is present in the drink. They can do it, but it ain't worth the trouble. Most cops just bust the perps for public intox or DUI or possession of other related dope.

I'd imagine Jolly cops to a simple possession charge, a high misdemeanor. The NFL may well still give him 4 games, but the odds of him taking a felony bust are really high.

Waldo
03-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Johnny Jolly delayed his case again.

Johnny Jolly's trial on felony drug charges in Houston has been carried over to Monday at the defendant's request, according to Donna Hawkins of the Harris County district attorney's office. Jolly's trial, which has been pushed back several times, was scheduled to start today. Jolly was arrested July 8 and charged with possessing over 200 grams of codeine.

I never thought this case would go this far. If he takes the charge, I'd be shocked. There is no way in hell that DA can make the original charge of over 200 grams of codeine. It was one drink in the car's beverage holder. Around here, they very rarely bust guys just for "purple". It's tough for the crime labs to do all the analysis to figure out exactly how much codeine is present in the drink. They can do it, but it ain't worth the trouble. Most cops just bust the perps for public intox or DUI or possession of other related dope.

I'd imagine Jolly cops to a simple possession charge, a high misdemeanor. The NFL may well still give him 4 games, but the odds of him taking a felony bust are really high.

When have they done that to a first time non-'roid substance offender?

Patler
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
This is a real interesting case. I would have expected a plea deal just to get it over with. What really makes it interesting is that Jolly's agent is actually a criminal defense attorney. He isn't defending Jolly in this case, but should be able to provide unique insight about the strengths and weaknesses of the charge. Clearly he should have Jolly's career at the forefront.

KYPack
03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Why Waldo, do you think he'll get more or less than a 4 game bump?

Fritz
03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Sounds like Waldo thinks fewer than four, but remember, Roger Goodell is tryng to make the NFL look tough on bad guys.

Jolly will get some games off, I would guess.

Patler
03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
He has to be convicted first, or plead out of the trial. There were some comments early from his agent that lead me to believe a conviction might not be so certain. The fact they are still fighting the charge is surprising, and might suggest a strong belief on his part that he is not culpable.

If there is a plea deal, it might not support any suspension at all. A not guilty verdict wouldn't either.

Fritz
03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
A not guilty would certainly seem to indicate no suspension - if he hasn't broke the law - and that medication is against the law in the amount/form he's claimed to have had it. It wouldn't be like baseball, where steroids were legal but banned in baseball.

However, a plea bargain would lead me to think Goodell would see it as another chance to make the NFL look like it cares - by suspending Jolly for a game or four.

mission
03-28-2009, 01:48 PM
200 grams of codeine? Where does that come from?!

That's a lot ... and an expensive amount! If he's a first-time drug offender then I don't think he'll do any time.

Had some "lean" last night myself... one of the few times. Definitely didn't come anywhere close to even 5 grams for the group... was he transporting/trafficking? Good experience in the studio but definitely don't drive a car on it -- and especially don't be drinking too! The effect is nothing different than certain pills they're prescribing nowadays.

8-)

KYPack
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM
200 grams of codeine? Where does that come from?!

That's a lot ... and an expensive amount! If he's a first-time drug offender then I don't think he'll do any time.

Had some "lean" last night myself... one of the few times. Definitely didn't come anywhere close to even 5 grams for the group... was he transporting/trafficking? Good experience in the studio but definitely don't drive a car on it -- and especially don't be drinking too! The effect is nothing different than certain pills they're prescribing nowadays.

8-)

It's a bogus charge. They had a purple in a container. The law he was busted under is to catch dealers. The cops are saying the DRINK was over 200 grams. They have to prove he had over 200 grams of codeine.

These criminal labs ain't gonna go thru all those change to analyze a purple and figure out exactly how much codeine was actually in the glass. For one thing, it's probably only a gram or two. No more than 5. It's simple criminal possession all the way.

Around here, if the cops WAY overcharge you like this, they toss the whole case out. Otherwise, the cops take advantage of situations.

I imagine Jolly's lawyer is going for just that. There is no way he should have been prosecuted under a ditribution statute.

Fritz
03-28-2009, 04:34 PM
What's "lean"? What's "purple"?

swede
03-28-2009, 05:26 PM

Lean and formerly purple:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/p1_moss_moon_all.jpg

Fritz
03-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Sometimes I wonder if he farted when he did that.

RashanGary
03-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm going to guess two games and some money.

mission
03-29-2009, 01:44 AM

Liquid codeine mixed with Sprite (what I see around the studios) or purple carbonated soda in a Styrofoam cup (something to do with the whole equation I guess) and lots of ice.

As far as the effects, it's a lot like what you'd expect from codeine... slow motion, body relaxed. It's supposedly very addictive and I can see that cuz some of my clients definitely make it a nightly habit. You can't talk to them (out comes jumble) or even get them to open their eyes by 2-3am ... it usually cuts sessions short. :o

Joemailman
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42149532.html

Jolly's trial pushed back to June 26, the day after Packer off-season practices end. Should know by training camp what his status is.

pittstang5
03-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Jolly's trial pushed back to June 26, the day after Packer off-season practices end. Should know by training camp what his status is.

WTF! Let's get this over with already!

KYPack
03-31-2009, 08:18 AM

WTF! Let's get this over with already!

I know you are frustrated, Pitt, but Jolly's lawyer sounds like he's doing a good job.

You must remember. Houston and Harris County is a very redneck place with regard to African Americans. Last summer, a Houston area cop rang Bear's running back up with a serious set of charges. The Bears cut Benson. Benson's attorney was able to prove in a court of law that all the charges (DUI, resisting, etc) were totally bogus.

Not only was Benson sober and acting properly, the COP was out of line. This is the same area, same kind of cop.

Jolly and his pals were screwed up and partying. But this is NOT a felony possession with intent to distribute case. Sounds like the Harris Co prosecutor is trying to still nail Jolly for heavy stuff and they will probably lose at a jury trial. Jolly should be able to plead out to misdemeanor simple possession of a controlled substance.

His attorney is giving him a rigorous defense and stopping him from getting railroaded on a bogus charge. That's what Jolly hired him for. if there was a decent prosecutor's office involved, this case would have been settled 8-9 months ago. Sounds like they are being dicks and this will take time.

Fritz
03-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Texas. Sigh. My family lives there.

Patler
03-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Incarcerated?? :lol: :lol:

Waldo
03-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think that Jolly was screwed up and partying however, a couple of points:

a) He apparently did not fail an NFL drug test. I would assume that he would be tested after an arrest, failing a drug test puts a player in the NFL drug treatment program, a second failure results in a suspension. Either he failed and it was kept quiet, the NFL didn't test him, or he passed. I'm inclined to believe he passed, partially because of this other point.

b) He was arrested in his car. The cops approached his car because of loud music. The definition of operating under the influence is typically in the drivers seat, keys in the ignition. If the loud music drew in the cops, I'm inclined to believe that it wasn't the stock radio producing the sound. Some cars can listen to their radio without the keys in the ignition, but a subwoofer amplifier would typically have a separate power circuit pulled off the fuse box, that most likely would require the keys be in the ignition to be hot. Chances are he was in the drivers seat (it was his car) with the keys in the ignition. If he was not arrested for operating under the influence (he was not), I'm inclined to believe that in fact he was perfectly sober.

c) There were multiple containers in the car. I remember reading the exact number somewhere and the number of people in the car, I can't recall either number offhand, but I am sure that there was one fewer container than there was occupants in the car.

My guess is that his buddies were the ones partying, that he was the designated driver, but he was arrested and charged because they were in his car. Perhaps this explains why he is willing to go to trial and plead not guilty, and why he has not done a plea bargain.

Fritz
03-31-2009, 02:00 PM

Incarcerated?? :lol: :lol:

No. They are strange folk. They actually choose to live there.

Sorry, TPB. I lived in Houston for a couple years - in some respects the people are great, but in others, not so much.